Half Life 2 Xbox ~$5 at MicroCenter YMMV

[quote name='lunchboxfett']I just bought Half Life 2 for the X-Box for 5.28 at Micro Center in Mayfield Heights, OH.
They did have a couple more copies left.[/quote]

this is probaly the only time ill pass a deal even when its cheaper than another...reason being gas is sitll $3+ a gallon (ill just pick it up next week for $8 @ cc tho)

[quote name='smackmyonion']greatest xbox game ever,.....maybe greatest game of all time[/quote]

damn...so i guess i gotta make sure i pick this up ;)

hmm I already own this on PC, but is there anything new in the XBOX version? its also on sale at Circuit City for like $7.99

[quote name='tenzor']hmm I already own this on PC, but is there anything new in the XBOX version?[/QUOTE]

lol slowdown and haphazard aiming, but I'd hardly consider those "extras." :D

I've played both versions. The PC version is superior in every aspect, unless you have a very comfortable sofa you want to play the game on in front of a TV. It's not a bad game on the Xbox, it's still one of the best games ever made (and beats the holy hell out of Halo :\). The PC version is just better executed. Besides that and the title screens, the games are identical.

[quote name='Alien Spider']lol slowdown and haphazard aiming, but I'd hardly consider those "extras." :D

I've played both versions. The PC version is superior in every aspect, unless you have a very comfortable sofa you want to play the game on in front of a TV. It's not a bad game on the Xbox, it's still one of the best games ever made (and beats the holy hell out of Halo :\). The PC version is just better executed. Besides that and the title screens, the games are identical.[/quote]

so its still a "steal" for 8 bucks?

[quote name='smackmyonion']greatest xbox game ever,.....maybe greatest game of all time[/quote]I respectfully disagree.. I felt this game was rather dull :(

Half-Life 1's story isn't really relative. All that matters is at the end you have a choice to either work for the mysterious G-Man or refuse and end up dead. So it's obvious which is the true ending. Even the expansions don't add much.

From what I gather, Gordon is "frozen" at the end of Half-Life 1, then thawed out to begin his work for G-Man. Those old original Quake and Unreal era FPS games didn't really have plots. And those that did were more filler story that was ultimately cast aside. The first Quake doesn't even exist in the franchise continuity. Quake II is technically the beginning. With Half-Life, the entire story is a blip except the fact that Gordon works for the bad guys at the end.

It's been at or around this price at many places the last few months, including clearance at Target. Still a good price.

It will also be included with The Orange Box, which has TF, Portal, and Episode 2. (360 only)

I didn't realize it would be included with the Orange Box. Oh well, I can't complain for the price. They had some other games on clearance as well but I didn't pay attention to the price. I know Gunvalkrie was one of them and I want to say Tiger Woods Golf.

[quote name='Foo228']so its still a "steal" for 8 bucks?[/QUOTE]

Hmm, it depends on if you're planning on buying the PC version in the near future, or perhaps the Half-Life 2: The Orange Box for either the XBox360 or the PS3 when they're released.

But, if all you have access to is the Xbox version, then yeah, definitely buy it. It's still an awesome game, I had a great time playing it. :)

I loved this game, I bought it for 50 bucks brand new (no computer at the time) and was blown away. It breaks my heart that it didn't sell more copies. I'm psyched for the Orange Box so I can finally play it again.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Half-Life 1's story isn't really relative. All that matters is at the end you have a choice to either work for the mysterious G-Man or refuse and end up dead. So it's obvious which is the true ending. Even the expansions don't add much.

From what I gather, Gordon is "frozen" at the end of Half-Life 1, then thawed out to begin his work for G-Man. Those old original Quake and Unreal era FPS games didn't really have plots. And those that did were more filler story that was ultimately cast aside. The first Quake doesn't even exist in the franchise continuity. Quake II is technically the beginning. With Half-Life, the entire story is a blip except the fact that Gordon works for the bad guys at the end.[/quote]
I hate to call you out, but you are almost completely wrong in saying that Half-Life had no relevance to the sequel. In the first game,
the experiments that occur in Black Mesa, Gordon's workplace, open an interdimensional wormhole that allows the the occupants of a different dimension known as Xen to enter and wreak havoc for no apparent reason from headcrabs to Vortigaunts (electricity wielders). A secret government operation is executed to destroy the facility, the invaders, and any witnesses. Freeman makes his way to Xen and fights the Nihilinth, who was the creature keeping the portal open and controlling the Vortigaunts that were being held under its control, evidenced by the green collars on the Vortigaunts throughout the game. It is revealed in the military add-on that the military, too, were employed by the G-Man.

The relevance of this plot is twofold: First, in Half-Life 2, the G-Man references how he has tested or trained Gordon in the past for when he would become useful again, suggesting that the Black Mesa Incident itself was entirely orchestrated by the G-Man or his employers. His broken speech pattern, like that of speech software, suggests he is not even human.
Second, the fact that the aliens from the original were the enemies and are now the friends in the sequel is proof that the Vortigaunts - now free of their binding collars - were indeed being forced to fight the humans in the first one. Their otherwise peaceful nature in the sequel is more than simply being written in, the true nature of the Vortigaunts was suggested by the original and is now resolved, deepening the story.
EDIT: And that's not even the half of it! I just started reading about it since this got me interested in HL again, and holy crap there is some implied stuff that is pretty deep. The existence of Xen, for instance, is a hugely important issue in explaining the advent of the Combine in HL2 and how the Vortigaunts come into play.

Sorry for the huge spoiler tag, but I think the plot of Half-Life totally kicks ass and I would be pissed off if someone ruined it for me.

bread's done
Back