Half Price Books 50% Coupon, Today only!

LOL, i was in one for the first time in quite a while this past weekend. Lets see, Wheel of Fortune for the NES? check! Four Donkey Konga 'kongas only' on the shelf? check! the Nerf First-Strike Wii Pack that BB had for FREE two years ago? 3 of those you say? GREAT!!

The only thing that I liked were the prices on the movies. The TV seasons especially, you can find some gems there, and be able to check the disc quality. However, the prices on the games were worse than GameStop. They had Homefront for like $30, several PS2 and Xbox (OG) games for $20..I didn't grab any..

[quote name='token2k6']LOL, i was in one for the first time in quite a while this past weekend. Lets see, Wheel of Fortune for the NES? check! Four Donkey Konga 'kongas only' on the shelf? check! the Nerf First-Strike Wii Pack that BB had for FREE two years ago? 3 of those you say? GREAT!!

The only thing that I liked were the prices on the movies. The TV seasons especially, you can find some gems there, and be able to check the disc quality. However, the prices on the games were worse than GameStop. They had Homefront for like $30, several PS2 and Xbox (OG) games for $20..I didn't grab any..[/QUOTE]

I rarely ever shop there unless there's a coupon, but sometimes they sneak in a rare game that I can swipe up during these sales, so I've gotten great use out of these coupons.

But yeah, I hear ya on the DVDs and Blus. I make out like a Bandit on those each time these coupons pop up. Some of the prices are pretty good to begin with, so with the coupon even better. :)

LOL I go to HPB at least once every 2 weeks, and I think they've had the same selection of games & strategy guides on the shelf for a good 6 months... I'm pretty sure some of the employees are gamers and snatching up all the good stuff that people trade in

I've picked up/seen some pretty great game-related stuff at my local Half-Price Books over the last 2 years.

Picked up:
-Star Fox Super Weekend SNES cart - ~$100 after 50% off coupon
-Fatal Frame 1 & 2 for XBOX - ~$40 for both
-Zelda: Twilight Princes Collector's Edition hardcover guide - $9.99
-Zelda: Spirit Tracks Collelctor's Edition hardcover guide - $9.99
-dozens more games & guides for NES/SNES/Game Boy/Genesis/etc.

Saw:
-Super Noah's Ark 3D for SNES CIB - couldn't afford it at the time and it was gone when I went back :(
-various systems for great prices
-various collector's edition games and guides

The only issue with HPB and other similar stores is that they are a complete crapshoot.
You could go in every day for a month and find nothing of interest and then hit the motherlode a week later.

I love going to resale shops/flea markets/etc. regardless so I don't go in with high expectations, but it feels great to find something amazing from time to time! :D

[quote name='ItsaMeMario']LOL I go to HPB at least once every 2 weeks, and I think they've had the same selection of games & strategy guides on the shelf for a good 6 months... I'm pretty sure some of the employees are gamers and snatching up all the good stuff that people trade in[/QUOTE]

A lot of HPBs have been starting to sell the better stuff on amazon nowadays so it really messes with the in store selection as all the good stuff goes there. Others have a special locked chest with the rare books/movies/cds, etc.

I'd recommend at least stopping in the store if there is one in your town. Since it is completely used games, you can either find treasures or pure garbage. I have a ton in my town, but they are spread out all over the place.

Like someone said above, you can find amazing stuff - they price games via Amazon most of the time, and price guides pretty much randomly below $15. I've found a bunch of great guides in particular if youre into that stuff.

The last sale they ahd like this I found an Oblivion complete guide(the larger updated one) for $5 with the 50% off coupon. If you ask nicely, most of the time they will just scan multiple coupons for you, though it is highly YMMV.

Other uncommons like the Lunar series and Old PS1 games pop up all the time around me - just go already!

Iv never been to hpb but gonna go asap
hpb

I found a new copy of Mass Effect 2 collectors edition there one time, so at least give them a shot. You never know. . .

I have used these coupons for years when they release them but have never tried on a game console. I have been wanting another Wii for the main room but I feel like 40% or even 50% off of one is a bit extreme and that HPB would not allow that...

Anybody know for sure?

[quote name='BrolyB593']I have used these coupons for years when they release them but have never tried on a game console. I have been wanting another Wii for the main room but I feel like 40% or even 50% off of one is a bit extreme and that HPB would not allow that...

Anybody know for sure?[/QUOTE]

From my experience, these coupons have no limitations usually. In fact, I was going to use the last one for a PS2 console at about 20 bucks after coupon, but passed because I didn't really need one.

[quote name='BrolyB593']I have used these coupons for years when they release them but have never tried on a game console. I have been wanting another Wii for the main room but I feel like 40% or even 50% off of one is a bit extreme and that HPB would not allow that...

I have used the coupons on large ticket items in the past, including consoles. They will take 40/50% off of ANYTHING in the store from my experience. Someone above also said they've used the coupon on $200 items so I'm sure you will be fine.

It's on anything, and to my knowledge, there are no restrictions of any sort, except what's written on the coupon,which only states can't be combined with any sale items or other promotions, which there are usually none except for coupon sales.

I've gotten discounts off consoles before, so it will definitely work on a game console.

I work at a HPB. You should be fine. We actually got a Wii in the last time we had a 50% off coupon day, and it was gone minutes later :)

Bumping this seeing as the coupons start tomorrow. I called all the locations in my area hoping one would have a used Wii in stock but no luck at all three stores : /

i got lucky and found a 360 HD-DVD drive with 5 movies for 15. have it on hold and will get it tomorrow with 40% off, looking about 9 bucks. yea!

Nice find. Going to hit up both my local stores tomorrow and see what they have. Havn't seen all that much recently like I have in the past, but occasionally you'll find a gem. Buddy stumbled upon a boxed complete copy of Chrono Trigger about 3 months ago that they priced $10. I know I would never get that lucky though heh.

[quote name='xskaxninjax']Never heard of this place... but it sure sounds like they should open some more stores over here on the East Coast![/QUOTE]

yeah, that'd be wonderful !

Last edited by a moderator:
My local Half Price Books is already pulling shenanigans for this sale. I went in today to buy Zelda Wind Waker at 40% off $25 they were asking for it two weeks ago and saw a new sticker on there for $50. Shameless...

[quote name='motley6']My local Half Price Books is already pulling shenanigans for this sale. I went in today to buy Zelda Wind Waker at 40% off $25 they were asking for it two weeks ago and saw a new sticker on there for $50. Shameless...[/QUOTE]

Half Priced's prices on video games are waaaaaaaaay overboard depending on the game. They really only do it good with older gen games that aren't popular and PC games.

Its funny how game stores high jack prices on games that are considered "rare", when in reality, the actual rare, under-printed, unnoticed games are generally pretty cheap to pick up. On that note, I picked up Monster Kingdom Jewel Summoner for 6 bucks complete in great shape.

[quote name='motley6']My local Half Price Books is already pulling shenanigans for this sale. I went in today to buy Zelda Wind Waker at 40% off $25 they were asking for it two weeks ago and saw a new sticker on there for $50. Shameless...[/QUOTE]
My local HPB had a 360 HD DVD drive for $25 (complete package with King Kong movie). I went in today and it was priced at $75. You call it shameless, but in this case it is laughable. It did not sell for $25. I bought one the last time they had a 50% off coupon for $7.50 as a backup to the one I use and this one was for sale at $25 at that time.

Maybe I should ask if that 7 is really a 1 and it's $15.

I actually found a 360 w/o cables at mine. It was priced at 30...so 18 after coupon. It was a 2006 model...so I was SO SURE it must have RROD or E74...but I brought it home and it works perfect. Even without controllers or cables I could not pass it up at 18 bucks.

[quote name='arsenalcrazy8']I actually found a 360 w/o cables at mine. It was priced at 30...so 18 after coupon. It was a 2006 model...so I was SO SURE it must have RROD or E74...but I brought it home and it works perfect. Even without controllers or cables I could not pass it up at 18 bucks.[/QUOTE]
NICE. That's why I love these coupon sales at HPB. I have purchased a gamecube with wavebird controllers and PS2's, each under $15 with these coupons.

My best game-related find at HPB was this: I saw a copy of Jurassic Park Operation Genesis (PS2) on the shelf, and since I held onto my Xbox copy because the value was crazy, I figured this would be too. I checked Amazon on my phone: new copies for $199, used starting at $32. I grabbed it, and not only was it new/sealed...it was $1.00.

I didn't end up picking up anything, but I saw some decent stuff at my local HPB today (prices are before coupons):

-Wii systems $99
-XBOX 360 systems $99
-Super Nintendo 2/Mini system $80 (was tempted, but I felt the price was too high even after coupon)
-Super Famicom system $100
-Halo Green XBOX (not 360) system $40
-Super Castlevania IV CIB $50 (considered it, but it was missing the manual)
-Super Mario Bros 3 CIB $20 (would've bought it but the box was pretty badly dinged up at the bottom)
-Metal Gear Solid GBC $20
-lots of decent guides (various Final Fantasy guides, CE guides, etc.)

I might swing by again on Sunday and see if there's anything I want to grab at 50% off.

Wow! Thank you. I will use this coupon to buy some books, HBP is already a great place and this makes a collection (that counts as a single item if they bound a trilogy into one, right?) I've looked at becomes a bargain.

[quote name='taylort3']mine has a 4GB slim 360 w/out chords or controller for $30. tempted...[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure most HPBs have pretty generous return policies.

[quote name='taylort3']mine has a 4GB slim 360 w/out chords or controller for $30. tempted...[/QUOTE]

You can't really go wrong with that deal, better hurry before someone else gets it.

[quote name='SpartenOmega117']This deal is only for today right. Or is it tomorrow as well?[/QUOTE]

It's the entire week up until Sunday. Today is the last day for 40% off though.

Picked up a copy of FFIX for my friend for $4. Not bad. ^__^

Since it's the last 40% off day - word of warning! If you spotted something you wanted for 50% off and are waiting for Sunday, best arrive early. In my town people line up outside some of the stores. At a HPB:/ lots of stuff snagged from me because I waited too long!

[quote name='Potatoeman']Since it's the last 40% off day - word of warning! If you spotted something you wanted for 50% off and are waiting for Sunday, best arrive early. In my town people line up outside some of the stores. At a HPB:/ lots of stuff snagged from me because I waited too long![/QUOTE]

You can ask them to hold things for you; they'll hold it for 7 days I believe.

[quote name='Squall835']You can ask them to hold things for you; they'll hold it for 7 days I believe.[/QUOTE]
YMMV on that. They normally hold for 7 days, but sometimes they will not do so when the coupons are out or about to come out.

It's worth a shot though. I have been successful and denied when asking for a hold. The best outcomes for me have been when asking for a hold the Sunday before coupons start. I then come back the next Sunday for 50% off.

bread's done
Back