Half Price Books - Coupon Week - July 12-18

4tygames

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
Next week, Half Price Books is having a coupon week with different coupons for different days of the week. This is a great opportunity to pick up some cheap games, movies, strategy guides, etc.

nnDOY.png

Half Price Books is based out of the Dallas area but they have locations around the U.S. Check out the store locator to find your nearest location: http://halfpricebooks.com/find_a_store.html

Half Price Books usually sells USED items. I have seen every kind of video game from Atari 2600 to PS3, Xbox360, etc. HPB also carries new "closeout" computer games. You never know what you are going to find. It is also a great place to pick up old game guides.

You will all have better luck if you use the %40 off coupon early in the week. I went to use the %50 off coupon on Sunday really early last time they had a similar sale, and all the good stuff is usually picked over by then. Having said that though, ours in Lewisville, Texas has had recent PS3/Xbox 360 games and absolutely killer prices on guides ($8ish for Fallout 3 and newer stuff). Do yourselves a favor and pick up some Pahlaniuk books if you see some. Happy hunting!

[quote name='dingo_stole_mybaby']You will all have better luck if you use the %40 off coupon early in the week. I went to use the %50 off coupon on Sunday really early last time they had a similar sale, and all the good stuff is usually picked over by then. Having said that though, ours in Lewisville, Texas has had recent PS3/Xbox 360 games and absolutely killer prices on guides ($8ish for Fallout 3 and newer stuff). Do yourselves a favor and pick up some Pahlaniuk books if you see some. Happy hunting![/QUOTE]

The Mesquite TX store had the new Prince of Persia PS3 game for $30 used when I was there a few weeks ago. That would make it $15. Doubt it will last that long.

My HPB has steadily went downhill on the pricing of games and guides over the last year. They love to use Amazon (resellers) to decide how to price things. They have a Super Paper Mario guide marked at $49.99 and note that "New copies sell for $99.99." I jump on Amazon and see 1 entry (Marketplace only) that is showing $99 new, while another, which was the original Amazon listing is showing starting at $34.99 new, $8 used... I found multiple auctions on ebay for the guide sub-$15. What a joke!

They also like to note on the price tag that the guide is out of print, One such example is the Final Fantasy VII guide that they have marked for $30? Really...? The thing is still being printed and is available for $11 new on Amazon. Heck, going by their logic, I'm surprised they don't mark every non current gen guide as OOP.

awesome! thanks! i just went to that place last tuesday so this will help me buy more manga or games and such.

Yeah some HPB stores get crazy with turning their store into "Amazon Marketplace + $5"

I still find some decent things there. Found the FFT PSP guide for $5 which is hard to get for less than $30 online.

I just discovered one of these stores near me and I LOVE it!

I assumed it was one of those crappy clearance stores full of random old books but I popped in to kill some time before seeing a movie and I was blown away by their selection. :D

Thanks for the coupons, OP!

Hmm I was in there a few days ago trying to sell one of my penny guides hehehe... but I didn't get the chance to scope out the video game section. They did have a fairly decent manga selection.

the location on s. lamar in austin texas always has shit for games... just to give anyone a heads up hoping to head out there.

[quote name='bajingo']the location on s. lamar in austin texas always has shit for games... just to give anyone a heads up hoping to head out there.[/QUOTE]

i hear ya there...i was just there yesterday....only thing i saw was mgs 4 for ps3 for $20 i think....alas, no ps3 for me

I live 5 minutes away from one and 15 from another, they're one of my favorite stores ever. Picked up Titan Quest Gold for $3, Advance Wars Days of Ruin for $4, and Pokemon Platinum Guide for $5 at the last sale. Going today right after work!

[quote name='themightypencil']i hear ya there...i was just there yesterday....only thing i saw was mgs 4 for ps3 for $20 i think....alas, no ps3 for me[/QUOTE]
Which one in Austin is good on the games front? I was thinking of taking that 40% coupon out to lunch...

Its only 7 bucks, does it really matter? I know this is CAG, but come on, 7 bucks.

Oh, and thanks OP... Going to hit up the stores now.

I work for Half Price Books. Most of our stock is used items sold to us by the public. Since different people are selling different things to different stores, we are the textbook definition of YMMV.

That said, sometimes you can get lucky. Whoever said to come earlier in the week is completely right; most of the worthwhile stuff will be gone by Tuesday. Our store in particular is almost exclusively shopped by re-sellers and FatWallet-style folks during these sales. If you want to see true cheapass-ery, work in a resale store like HPB during a sale. These people redefine cheap.

If you're looking exclusively for PC games though, you stand a good chance of finding something you may like. Some worthwhile things I can think of off the top of my head (prices may not be exact, as I could be misremembering):

Supreme Commander Gold $8
Tom Clancy's HAWX $6
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl $6
Titan Quest Gold $6
HoM&M: Dark Messiah $5
Painkiller Black $6

Here's to hoping some of you get lucky and find some cool stuff!

[quote name='josh62488']was gonna use the 40% coupon on Dark Void today...but didn't know if it was worth 7 bucks

feedback???

im frugal[/QUOTE]

Big Mac Small combo at McDonald's or Dark Void. The decision is yours.

not much in fort wayne

35 DVDS for 35 bucks (before 40% off coupon)

could got 40 VHS for 5 before coupon

Pokemon pearl for 16 before coupon

even witha 40 % off coupon in hand couldnt find anything to buy

Funny thing is i saw this lady who owns a video story buying cases of those 35 dvds for 35 bucks.. They will now turn around and rent them out for 2 bucks a night lOL

[quote name='irishsoccermbw']Big Mac Small combo at McDonald's or Dark Void. The decision is yours.[/QUOTE]

lol i dont eat mcdonalds

so I guess Dark Void is a good game....thats all i wanna know

i have 40 games already and have only played 5

i need to know if it's worth the 10 hrs of gameplay

[quote name='slidecage']not much in fort wayne

35 DVDS for 35 bucks (before 40% off coupon)

could got 40 VHS for 5 before coupon

Pokemon pearl for 16 before coupon

even witha 40 % off coupon in hand couldnt find anything to buy

Funny thing is i saw this lady who owns a video story buying cases of those 35 dvds for 35 bucks.. They will now turn around and rent them out for 2 bucks a night lOL[/QUOTE]

Hey I'm from Fort Wayne too. I saw the Pokemon and would have considered if I didn't already own it.

Well these may not be games, but I was able to get volume 3 & 4 of Batman: TAS for ~$13 each after coupon. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

I saw this in a 1/2 Price today for the first time. It had space for 2 discs, and no UPC on the back package (apparently it was a part of a collectors edition?) Is it worth picking up?

photojz.jpg

I picked up :ps2: Ico (complete) for $11.98 + tax with the 40% off coupon. The disc has some light scratches, but the case and manual are great condition.

Has anyone used the coupons fine? It clearly says that you are not allowed to duplicate the coupon...

I know that usually is not a big deal but I am not about to drive 40 minutes just to be told I can't use the coupon.

*EDIT*

I just saw the posts before me, I was sitting on the page for a minute or so before posting.

It looks like my question is answered before I even asked! haha

Found an unopened copy of Mass Effect 2 Collector's Edition at the store near me for $51 AC. What kind of person thinks, "this seems valuable, I'LL TAKE IT TO HALF-PRICED BOOKS?!"

I got a copy of Mario Party 8 for $15.83 after coupon yesterday. They usually don't have a huge game selection but they do carry older stuff like ps1 and dreamcast games. IMO it's worth checking out.

[quote name='mistymayem']Hey I'm from Fort Wayne too. I saw the Pokemon and would have considered if I didn't already own it.[/QUOTE]
I don't remember if I saw that, but I managed one good find. Super Mario RPG for $19.25 after the 40% off. That's a lot more that what I like to spend for a classic game, but I think that is the first time I've seen it outside of McVans. I'm so cheap that a part of me wants to take it back, a small part. I just need to find my family's camera for a picture of it.

Well, I checked out a couple more stores before the discounts start dropping. Best find was a Lego Star Wars Complete Saga guide for $4.50. It's in very good condition. Gotta love stumbling across such finds.

[quote name='jeebert']Found an unopened copy of Mass Effect 2 Collector's Edition at the store near me for $51 AC. What kind of person thinks, "this seems valuable, I'LL TAKE IT TO HALF-PRICED BOOKS?!"[/QUOTE]

Someone who stole it and wants to get money for it right away.

My local store doesn't have anything too special, but I picked up a copy of Namco Museum Remix for Wii for only $6 after coupon today. Also scored the full 4-issue run of Dinosaurs: A Celebration comics for only $1 each! :D

You sometimes get lucky at half price books. I've gotten some good games there, like Final Fantasy VIII and IX, black label versions, for $8 each. Not the best deals, but it ended up being cheaper than amazon.

Anyway, for this sale, there's two within 15 minutes of me, so I went to one and the only good games they had I already owned. I ended up getting Jet Set Radio Future for $9.50, which I thought was worth it. It was either that or Onimusha 2 for $4.80.

Got the Pokemon Heart Gold / Soul Silver Guide for $3-4, pretty crappy games this time around. They had a nice hardback copy of the 2nd Mistborn book though, but I can wait till Sunday for the 50% as it's probably not going anywhere.

Went there last night, I laughed out loud when my eyes caught the shelves of VHS tapes and HUGE box sets of TV shows on VHS that looked like 2.5 feet in length (Highlander)

Not many good games, a few Xbox and PS2, some 360, one PS3 title. Basically, it'd be the games that any CAG had a second of that their flipping time ran out on and/or stagnated their tradelist for a few months/years. Same with the guides..some still had their .01 sticker on them! I'd say 80% of them were from penny drops. Did see a MW2 guide, but it was $14.98..not sure how HPB math is working on a $19.99 MSRP price..A few blu rays for $13.48 would have been good after coupon, but I just walked out empty handed..

not bragging about what I got with the 40%, but it was absolutely all they had that I either didn't have or even slightly wanted....Lips Number One Hits for $6 and PGR3 (New) for $3

bread's done
Back