Half Priced books.. New gold mine**

Derrick1979

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Yeah well after reading somewhere on here about someone getting some decent games from half priced books I decided to stop in one that I was around today and look.. wow was amazed on all the DVD's and CD's they had for sale and boom hit a software section ..

Alot of new sealed PC stuff for around $5 and some othere things..

they had all current gen systems with a few classics in there also..

ended up finding a white security strip sealed copy of Gundam Battle Assult 2 for the PS1 for $4.00 :hot:

So if anything people should check them out they might find some gems..
I am going to hit a few other locations tomorrow...

Oh, yeah, dur. We have those all over the place here. Here's the very few games I remember:

PC:
Laser Squad Nemesis - $5
Tribes Vengeance - ~$6

They also take used games, though anyone with any common sense would go to an EB or a Game Crazy. Half Price offers like $1 for a box of stuff.

[quote name='Milquetoast']Oh, yeah, dur. We have those all over the place here. Here's the very few games I remember:

PC:
Laser Squad Nemesis - $5
Tribes Vengeance - ~$6

They also take used games, though anyone with any common sense would go to an EB or a Game Crazy. Half Price offers like $1 for a box of stuff.[/quote]

the store I was in did not have alot of home console stuff but a ton of PC stuff

Yeah, Half Price Books has been a decent resource for a while. The problem is they are extremely hit or miss, since they don't exactly offer fair trade in rates. It's pretty much like checking out a thrift store in that aspect.

[quote name='joeposh']Yeah, Half Price Books has been a decent resource for a while. The problem is they are extremely hit or miss, since they don't exactly offer fair trade in rates. It's pretty much like checking out a thrift store in that aspect.[/quote]

Thats alright I feel less like an ass for going in HPB looking for stuff than a thrift store.. for some reason I feel guilty at the thrift stores and feel the stuff should be left for the people who need it lol

[quote name='Derrick1979']Thats alright I feel less like an ass for going in HPB looking for stuff than a thrift store.. for some reason I feel guilty at the thrift stores and feel the stuff should be left for the people who need it lol[/QUOTE]

Does anyone really *need* video games? I mean, besides us.

Most of the thrift stores take stuff in for free, and take your money and give it to the poor... the fact they have cheap stuff is a secondary bonus for the poor.

At least, this is how St. Vincent De Paul Society, Goodwill, and Salvation Army work. Of the 3, St. Vincents is the most likely to give free stuff to the poor. Goodwill's mission is to give the almost unemployable jobs. Salvation Army raises money thorough their stores. Neither of those two discount or give stuff away.

We moved away from 2 areas that had Half price books. I miss that store....

[quote name='nwaugh']Does anyone really *need* video games? I mean, besides us.[/quote]

I know all to well that thrift stores are the cheapass rich people's playgrounds but maybe it's the ethics in me and feel like those stores are for the needy even though I highly doubt all the BMW, and lexus vehicles around my local goodwill are all in need..

It's just me to each his own I guess

yah they always have a bunch of average pc games for 5-6 bucks, mine had madden 06 for 360 for 20 bucks a month ago :whistle2:(

[quote name='Derrick1979']I know all to well that thrift stores are the cheapass rich people's playgrounds but maybe it's the ethics in me and feel like those stores are for the needy even though I highly doubt all the BMW, and lexus vehicles around my local goodwill are all in need..

It's just me to each his own I guess[/QUOTE]

you know.. sometimes people can afford cars like that they shop for everything else at thrift stores.. its like me and my girlfriend saw a really nice house (probably in the top 15% in our area) and the guy was driving some early 90s piece of crap car..

which is why you don't judge a book by its cover..

I'm not rich, but you know the money that places like goodwill and other thrift stores generate go into helping the needy.. while the prices are always right when you go in.. its not like you are "taking away from the needy".. you are in turn helping the needy by helping those stores stay in business... since most of the items there are donated the money goes right back into helping the needy.. i find your reasoning on not shopping there flawed.. if not obscenely "high and mighty" of you..

If you sell to Half-Priced Books, these items tend to sell the highest:
-- Old Pre 90's Hardcover Cook Books
-- Sealed Jewel Cased Computer Software
-- Large Bibles (Concordia Study Bibles, Extended Bibles, large leather bound)

Things you don't get much for:
-- Paperback Novels (they tend to flatrate these at a nickel each, ten cents if newer)
-- Computer Books (they usually are swamped with these already)
-- Comics

In my case a college I was attending was throwing away sealed previous edition study Bibles. I took them to Half Price and was given $10 a piece for them. Some stores if they have a low stock of items, will give a little bit more if you take it in store credit instead of cash, or if you negotiate an item that has visibly sat on their store shelves for over 6 months (some dvd sets, encyclopedia sets). You might want to call ahead to see if any of the above apply to their particular store.

Some deals I've found there:

-- Secret of the Mana (cart only) $1
-- Neverwinter Nights Diamond (sealed) $5
-- Akira Comics (early originals, #1-5) $0.50 each
-- Appleseed LE DVD $5
-- DVD Movies (in the clearance section that are disc only) $1 each Fast & the Furious, Hidalgo, Matrix Series, etc.

[quote name='ryanflucas']If you sell to Half-Priced Books, these items tend to sell the highest:
-- Old Pre 90's Hardcover Cook Books
-- Sealed Jewel Cased Computer Software
-- Large Bibles (Concordia Study Bibles, Extended Bibles, large leather bound)

Things you don't get much for:
-- Paperback Novels (they tend to flatrate these at a nickel each, ten cents if newer)
-- Computer Books (they usually are swamped with these already)
-- Comics

In my case a college I was attending was throwing away sealed previous edition study Bibles. I took them to Half Price and was given $10 a piece for them. Some stores if they have a low stock of items, will give a little bit more if you take it in store credit instead of cash, or if you negotiate an item that has visibly sat on their store shelves for over 6 months (some dvd sets, encyclopedia sets). You might want to call ahead to see if any of the above apply to their particular store.

Some deals I've found there:

-- Secret of the Mana (cart only) $1
-- Neverwinter Nights Diamond (sealed) $5
-- Akira Comics (early originals, #1-5) $0.50 each
-- Appleseed LE DVD $5
-- DVD Movies (in the clearance section that are disc only) $1 each Fast & the Furious, Hidalgo, Matrix Series, etc.[/quote]

Just giving the nod to another Milwaukee CAg'er ....

[quote name='urzishra14']

I'm not rich, but you know the money that places like goodwill and other thrift stores generate go into helping the needy.. while the prices are always right when you go in.. its not like you are "taking away from the needy".. you are in turn helping the needy by helping those stores stay in business... since most of the items there are donated the money goes right back into helping the needy.. i find your reasoning on not shopping there flawed.. if not obscenely "high and mighty" of you..[/QUOTE]

Dear god- don't judge him lest you be like him. If he wants to feel that way- it's his right- who the hell cares what he thinks (or you) for that matter.

HPB is a treasure trove for me. I am constantly finding all kinds of gems. Like just today: A copy of Seaman for the Dreamcast for $2 (sans microphone, sadly), Battlefield 1942 for $1, and Diablo for $0.50. Other times, their prices are really high. It's hit-or-miss, but check whenever you're in the area.

Yeah, I need to go back and pick up the $7 FFX that is hopefully still there. Last time I stopped by, the $5 Marvel vs Capcom 2 was enough for me. :D

[quote name='botticus']Yeah, I need to go back and pick up the $7 FFX that is hopefully still there. Last time I stopped by, the $5 Marvel vs Capcom 2 was enough for me. :D[/quote]

Marvel vs Capcom for which system? Looks like I've found a new cheap game spot when I move to Indy.

[quote name='depascal22']Thank you very much. There's one in the town I'm moving to![/QUOTE]
The one in Greenwood, IN doesn't really have much when it comes to games. They have PC games, but that is about it. I've never seen a good deal on a console game at that location.

[quote name='depascal22']Marvel vs Capcom for which system? Looks like I've found a new cheap game spot when I move to Indy.[/quote]PS2. I only made about $80 on it. :lol:

But as stated, they are very hit or miss. Before that last trip, the best I had seen was some Taz game for PS2.

[quote name='Derrick1979']Thats alright I feel less like an ass for going in HPB looking for stuff than a thrift store.. for some reason I feel guilty at the thrift stores and feel the stuff should be left for the people who need it lol[/quote]

i totally agree. the only one i DONT feel guilty on is Goodwill, cause they try to charge the same amount most the time for the items they received at Target. im talking mainly for video games and other electronic related items.

Everyone is forgetting that Goodwill operates their online store so they make ebay-like prices on most of the stuff that is donated, plus most of the stuff in their stores is ridiculously overpriced, because all the good stuff eventually goes to the online store.

Greenwood, IN? ... I've never seen a good deal on a console game at that location.

Seconded... I'm there quite a bit, and I'm about ready to give up on the game section. It was nice finding a $5 boxed copy of Starcraft: Brood War there though.

Last i checked, the one in Madison, Wi had NBA 07 and Genji for PS3 @ $24.99 each, and the one in downtown Berkeley, CA has a black label FF7 for $39.99...former rental, no manual, decent shape.

I was able to pick up The Outfit 360 for $10 last time I was in.

For another couple weeks you can buy a $20 gift card and get a bonus $5 card...thus making any purchases 20% off automatically (...pending you would be spending it anyway)

[quote name='SaraAB']Everyone is forgetting that Goodwill operates their online store so they make ebay-like prices on most of the stuff that is donated, plus most of the stuff in their stores is ridiculously overpriced, because all the good stuff eventually goes to the online store.[/quote]

Sounds alot like Salvation Army stores around here, where a shit stained 1970's couch goes for the not-so-classic 'thrift' price of $60-150 EVERY DAMNED TIME.

They get this shit for free, then ass rape anyone looking for decent stuff cheap. At least, that's the way it seems at MOST of the SA stores around here.

I was lucky enough to find a nice table for my PS2 and XBox systems for $3 at an out of the way SA store. Unfortunately, we have no Goodwill stores in CLOSE driving distance anymore, so there's no competition for them in the thrift market.

I mean, you can say the 'money is going to charity' all you want, but at least price the shit you get for FREE at a reasonable price. Oh and for right now, the 'closest' three HPB stores to me are in Pittsburgh, which is a nice 5 hour drive from here. I hope they do get some stores from this chain around here sometime, as I'd love to find another semi cheap alternative to AssRapeStop and Worst Buy.

I think I probably out-CAG everyone here in terms of HPB values. In two separate trips, I got Lunar 1 & 2, Vay and Shining Force for Sega CD and Digital Devil Saga 1 (complete) for a total of $45.

NOT ME, because I'm a totally cheap bastard. I even think paying $2 for some of the Kmart games is a rip off, when you consider how glitchy some games are when they're released anymore.

Of course, that's nothing compared with some of the people on CAG who go almost exclusively to yard sales and post about their lowballing someone with a CIF offer of $1 for a complete Gamecube that works. But, even worse are the shmucks who actually SELL those items for that amount.

I'm not saying that trying to get the best deal is a bad thing, but if I were one of the sellers who was offered $5 for a PS2 or some other game system(if it worked great), I'd tell them to fuckin leave. There's making a counter offer, then there's lowballing.

Yea, I've been going to HPB for a while now, and the one by me is a treasure trove of hard to find strategy guides. I've found some tough guides like Suikoden II, Star Ocean: The Second Story, Final Fantasy Anthology, etc. Definitely worth checking once in a while.

[quote name='Katsu']Doesn't anyone else see 'HPB' and immediately think 'High Ping Bastard'? Maybe I played too much Quake. ;-)[/QUOTE]
I used to be one of those HPBs. QWTF for life.

Thats where I scored my complete Suikoden II for 60 something. I go about twice a week to check for deals, though it is extremely hit-or-miss(mostly miss).

I love Half Price Books. I picked up a boxed set of manga (sealed!) for $15 that normally goes for over $60. I didn't notice any games the last time I went, other than some older PC titles. But I haven't been in awhile, so I'll check tomorrow after work.

Wheee, found a complete, non-GH copy of Silent Hill in great shape for $3.98 today...also grabbed a complete Suikoden III for $7.98. Good day at HPB :)

found Mario Teaches Typing 2 for $2.98. somebody had stolen the disc though :(

About the only thing I have found in Indianapolis HPB was Castlevania: Symphony of the night and Castlevania Chronicles for the PS1...14.95 each I believe.

I like to get the pc games since they usually only cost $1. So far I've gotten:

Aliens versus Predator
Myth The Fallen Lords
Marathon 2 Durandal
King's Quest V (Complete)
King's Quest: Mask of Eternity
Ultima VIII Pagan (Complete) - This was $5
Quake 2
Tomb Raider
Warcraft II Battle.net Edition
Warcraft II Tides of Darkness

I'm not too familiar with the Warcraft games and didn't realize I'd picked up the same game twice.

bread's done
Back