Halo 2 Expansion Pack on GameFly!

cronnos

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I just noticed that the Expansion Pack is listed on GameFly and I have already added it to the Q... so it seems that if you want to be extra cheap, you could just rent the disc and download the maps for "free"! I hope they don't remove the game when the release date approaches. I also wonder how many copies are they going to have available for rent...

You probably have to have the disc to play.

I mean, honestly, why would they release a $20 disc that you'd throw away after one use?

[quote name='Scorch']You probably have to have the disc to play.

I mean, honestly, why would they release a $20 disc that you'd throw away after one use?[/QUOTE]

You won't need the disc to play. It's to have the update on a hard copy.

[quote name='Trakan']You won't need the disc to play. It's to have the update on a hard copy.[/QUOTE]

I still say you need the disc in some shape or fashion. It'd be senseless to release a $20 update disc. The stores would immediately flood with used copies.. unless each copy can only be used once, thus making it a coaster.

[quote name='Scorch']I still say you need the disc in some shape or fashion. It'd be senseless to release a $20 update disc. The stores would immediately flood with used copies.. unless each copy can only be used once, thus making it a coaster.[/QUOTE]

That's why they had to include the "extras" on it... the usual behind the making of...

I'm guessing that they will just have a CD-Key of some sort to play them over live, otherwise one person could just buy it and give it to anyone they know. Although offline probably won't require a CD-Key to use them, so you can just rent it from gamefly to play them offline.

It defies logic that you would need the disk in order to play the additional maps. I believe it is going to be more like what what we have now - "download" it onto your xbox and away you go...

If you don't agree, ponder this for a moment:
What happens when (eventually) they become part of the "random" maps that we are thrown into via Bungie's well thought out :roll: matchmaking system? Are we supposed to eject the disc and throw the expansion disc in, (which of course resets the xbox and takes another 2-3 minutes to load and re-log into live)?

[quote name='BULL_Ship']You guys do realise this is released after the maps are available for free.[/QUOTE]

Buzz! Wrong, here's the real skinny, ripped from Bungie.net:

We're releasing a total of nine new multiplayer maps.
All nine maps will eventually be available as Live downloads and as a normal boxed game disc - available at retail for $19.99 (US).
The release on Live will be staggered, some paid, some free!
The first two maps are free and coming in a few short weeks. (late April)
The same day the 2 free maps are released, 2 additional maps will be available for purchase.
The remaining 5 maps will be made available as a paid download on the same day the retail package goes on sale.
The retail disc will contain extras, including a documentary, a cool project from our cinematic and animation team, every Halo 2 update released so far and possily one or two other little treats.
By late summer, ALL the maps will be available for free.

[quote name='Scorch']I still say you need the disc in some shape or fashion. It'd be senseless to release a $20 update disc. The stores would immediately flood with used copies.. unless each copy can only be used once, thus making it a coaster.[/QUOTE]

You need it to copy to the harddrive of your Xbox. Of course there will be used copies, but I don't see them being more than normal. What if something happens to your Xbox? Or a friend wanted them?

The other downside is you'll need to wait until June 28th, while everybody else who paid the $5.99 will be playing the 2 new maps on Xbox Live in the meantime.

The biggest upside to getting the retail package IMO is that if your Xbox ever craps out and needs replacing, you can just put the expansion disc in your new Xbox to get those new maps again. If you pay to download them off XBOX live, you're probably SOL and will have to pay again to get them on your new Xbox. But since they will all be free eventually, maybe this won't be that big of a deal...

[quote name='mick16']The other downside is you'll need to wait until June 28th, while everybody else who paid the $5.99 will be playing the 2 new maps on Xbox Live in the meantime.

The biggest upside to getting the retail package IMO is that if your Xbox ever craps out and needs replacing, you can just put the expansion disc in your new Xbox to get those new maps again. If you pay to download them off XBOX live, you're probably SOL and will have to pay again to get them on your new Xbox. But since they will all be free eventually, maybe this won't be that big of a deal...[/QUOTE]

Not true.

I spoke with XBox support on Sunday over some other issues, and they told me that once you put your XBL information back on it, the downloaded content you've paid for will be downloadable again, for free, since you already paid for it.

If my Xbox crapped out today and I bought a new one tomorrow, put my XBL into back on there, I'd go back to the H2 content downloader and I'd be able to pull it down for free.

Don't believe me? Call Xbox support and see what they say.

I know most of you seem to want to just put the disc in and then get rid of it, but I for one would like to keep the hard copy disc just to have it in my collection and what if I was having some old-school gaming night and wanted to play Halo 2, but no longer had access to the old Xbox 1 downloadable content.

I was hoping Microsoft would say that if you paid to download both of the premium map sets, that they would ship you the actual disc once it is released. I haven't heard anything about that at all though.

[quote name='shrike4242']Not true.

I spoke with XBox support on Sunday over some other issues, and they told me that once you put your XBL information back on it, the downloaded content you've paid for will be downloadable again, for free, since you already paid for it.

If my Xbox crapped out today and I bought a new one tomorrow, put my XBL into back on there, I'd go back to the H2 content downloader and I'd be able to pull it down for free.

Don't believe me? Call Xbox support and see what they say.[/QUOTE]
That's good to hear. I always have heard otherwise, but this is good news.

EDIT: However, the director of xbox live contradicts this.
http://forums.xbox.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=12410872

[quote name='ryosnk']People, the maps are going to be FREE after the summer![/QUOTE]

And those of us who have been working the same maps for months and months are more than happy to pay for the download now, and get better on those maps until the cheap bastards who want to wait until they're free get them.

I don't mind getting double-dipped in this case, I'll just cut the $26 + tax back somewhere else. And having a hard copy of the maps is why I'm buying the disc.

[quote name='shrike4242']Not true.

Don't believe me? Call Xbox support and see what they say.[/QUOTE]

My own experience with Xbox support is that if you download premium DLC, it is tied to the BOX and not to the Gamertag. I had an xbox crap out on me after I downloaded some premium DLC for PGR2, and when I tried to download it again on my new box, it wanted to charge me again. A few calls to customer support, a few e-mails and I ran into a brick wall right from the beginning on how they can not let me download my already paid for DLC without paying again.

And I wanted to premium courses for Links 2004 too, but I'm just not too excited about paying for it twice in the worst-case-scenario.

[quote name='Archgarth']My own experience with Xbox support is that if you download premium DLC, it is tied to the BOX and not to the Gamertag. I had an xbox crap out on me after I downloaded some premium DLC for PGR2, and when I tried to download it again on my new box, it wanted to charge me again. A few calls to customer support, a few e-mails and I ran into a brick wall right from the beginning on how they can not let me download my already paid for DLC without paying again.

And I wanted to premium courses for Links 2004 too, but I'm just not too excited about paying for it twice in the worst-case-scenario.[/QUOTE]

Bull I swapped my xbox and it let me redownload the pgr2 content just with the gamertag.

And noob June 28 is when the disc is released the same date the maps are free

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/256424.asp

[quote name='Archgarth']My own experience with Xbox support is that if you download premium DLC, it is tied to the BOX and not to the Gamertag. I had an xbox crap out on me after I downloaded some premium DLC for PGR2, and when I tried to download it again on my new box, it wanted to charge me again. A few calls to customer support, a few e-mails and I ran into a brick wall right from the beginning on how they can not let me download my already paid for DLC without paying again.

And I wanted to premium courses for Links 2004 too, but I'm just not too excited about paying for it twice in the worst-case-scenario.[/QUOTE]

Well, I am siding with shrike on this one, becuase I actually had to switch Xboxes, and all of my glorified premium content (DDR song packs!) was transferred/tied with my gamertag. Plus, as long as you keep your "receipts" (the emails they send you showing you paid for content) I think you would be fine.

So... You guys want to pay $8 to rent a $20 disk that contains maps you could buy for $6 over XBL, which you have to pay per month for additionally, while if released on a PC this BS would be laughed at because hundreds of maps would already be out FOR FREE.

[quote name='Kayden']So... You guys want to pay $8 to rent a $20 disk that contains maps you could buy for $6 over XBL, which you have to pay per month for additionally, while if released on a PC this BS would be laughed at because hundreds of maps would already be out FOR FREE.[/QUOTE]

Where the hell do your rent stuff from? $8 for a rental?! That's borderline rape.

I'll get mine free on June 28.

The thing that prompted my conversation about the premium content is that my Xbox has been acting slightly odd and was talking about the repair options on it, and what would happen if the drive was the issue and I had to set it back up again. The rep told me that once the XBL info was put back on there, the premium content would be DL'able for free. And since I have a case number from them to back that up if it didn't work, they'd be returning my money to me.

[quote name='mcwilliams132']Where the hell do your rent stuff from? $8 for a rental?! That's borderline rape.

I'll get mine free on June 28.[/QUOTE]

Doesn't BB charge somewhere near $8? I know Hollywood is like 6.95... Thats why I don't rent games...

[quote name='Kayden']Doesn't BB charge somewhere near $8? I know Hollywood is like 6.95... Thats why I don't rent games...[/QUOTE]
BlockBuster is like 7.57 (Not late fees have to have some drawbacks) and last time I rented Hollywood, it was 4.99

[quote name='Kayden']So... You guys want to pay $8 to rent a $20 disk that contains maps you could buy for $6 over XBL, which you have to pay per month for additionally, .[/QUOTE]
First, you dont pay 6 bucks amonth for the maps, you pay 6 for Live.

Seconds, the maps wont cost 6 bucks over live, as they will come out to a total of about 18 bucks for all 7 of them.

If you dont believe me, go here http://www.xbox.com/en-US/news/2005/0325-halo2mappack.htm

[quote name='klyco']First, you dont pay 6 bucks amonth for the maps, you pay 6 for Live.

Seconds, the maps wont cost 6 bucks over live, as they will come out to a total of about 18 bucks for all 7 of them.

If you dont believe me, go here http://www.xbox.com/en-US/news/2005/0325-halo2mappack.htm[/QUOTE]

I was talking about paying for live, as for the $6 for the maps, the first price I heard was 6, I didn't care enough to look into it any more.

[quote name='klyco']First, you dont pay 6 bucks amonth for the maps, you pay 6 for Live.

If you dont believe me, go here http://www.xbox.com/en-US/news/2005/0325-halo2mappack.htm[/QUOTE]

To summarize:

First two maps are free, thank you Mountain Dew.
Second two maps are $5.99 + tax now, free later in the summer.
Other 5 maps are $11.99 + tax via XBL download, or $19.99 as part of the Expansion pack, free sometime in late summer.

Make sense now? You don't "rent" the maps, they're a premium content purchase, single amount of money changing hands.

[quote name='Scorch']I mean, honestly, why would they release a $20 disc that you'd throw away after one use?[/QUOTE]

This extra content disc is going to run $20 retail? A more appropriate question would be how many people will be willing to pay another $20 to add content to a game they already paid $50 for.

[quote name='shrike4242']To summarize:

First two maps are free, thank you Mountain Dew.
Second two maps are $5.99 + tax now, free later in the summer.
Other 5 maps are $11.99 + tax via XBL download, or $19.99 as part of the Expansion pack, free sometime in late summer.

Make sense now? You don't "rent" the maps, they're a premium content purchase, single amount of money changing hands.[/QUOTE]

Hm dont know how people get confused about that.

[quote name='Kayden']I didn't care enough to look into it any more.[/QUOTE]

Then again, if everybody looked into the matter firsthand, there would be less dispute and confusion. I shant get fire from le flame from de non carist.

[quote name='MaxBiaggi2']This extra content disc is going to run $20 retail? A more appropriate question would be how many people will be willing to pay another $20 to add content to a game they already paid $50 for.[/QUOTE]

Guilty as charged. And it was $37, not $55.

[quote name='MaxBiaggi2']This extra content disc is going to run $20 retail? A more appropriate question would be how many people will be willing to pay another $20 to add content to a game they already paid $50 for.[/QUOTE]

Millions, umm a high number. I know a ton of people like me were thirsting for those new maps and $20 doesn't seem so bad for an expansion of this type.

[quote name='dastly75']Millions, umm a high number. I know a ton of people like me were thirsting for those new maps and $20 doesn't seem so bad for an expansion of this type.[/QUOTE]

$20 for a few maps for a game laiden with cheaters? You call that a deal?

A real expansion pack would add more character models, more weapons, more vehicles, more missions, more story, and just generally more everything...

Map packs don't really constitute as expansion packs because they don't expand on the gameplay itself.

Broodwars was an expansion. Homeworld Cataclysm was an expansion. This is a joke.

Do you know how many maps have been put out for Half Life 2/Doom 3 FOR FREE? I don't really call this a service to the community so much as raping those that don't know any better.

I agree that as far as expansions and value for the money, it is not a good deal.

Will people buy it? Yes. Those that have been sick of maps and want more will consider it a small fee, but those people will buy when each debut rather than the straight $20. In addition, those with no live access will also purchase this. So it is overpriced, but they'll still make money off of it.

I'll wait till they are all free, then if I really want the disk I'm sure it's used value will drop like a rock once the summer is over. The retail package just seems to be aimed at the non-XBL users who want the maps for split screen play.

[quote name='Kayden']$20 for a few maps for a game laiden with cheaters? You call that a deal?

A real expansion pack would add more character models, more weapons, more vehicles, more missions, more story, and just generally more everything...

Map packs don't really constitute as expansion packs because they don't expand on the gameplay itself.

Broodwars was an expansion. Homeworld Cataclysm was an expansion. This is a joke.

Do you know how many maps have been put out for Half Life 2/Doom 3 FOR FREE? I don't really call this a service to the community so much as raping those that don't know any better.[/QUOTE]

In this case, the maps do offer a lot for your buck... specially for those of us who play the game almost everyday. Having new maps (9 of them!) is like having an expansion pack on an rpg (which is what you are comparing it to) because you have to build new strategies, learn the weapons, etc. Also, we are getting new playlists and even a new 2vs2 game type. Very worth the $$, but I'll try to get it from GameFly.

[quote name='Archgarth']My own experience with Xbox support is that if you download premium DLC, it is tied to the BOX and not to the Gamertag. I had an xbox crap out on me after I downloaded some premium DLC for PGR2, and when I tried to download it again on my new box, it wanted to charge me again. A few calls to customer support, a few e-mails and I ran into a brick wall right from the beginning on how they can not let me download my already paid for DLC without paying again. [/QUOTE]

Same deal here. I downloaded a couple of games on Xbox Arcade and was screwed when my old Xbox crapped out and even using the same gamertag was unable to get the games again for free. I didn't save the e-mails but i called Xbox support and had no luck.

[quote name='mick16']Same deal here. I downloaded a couple of games on Xbox Arcade and was screwed when my old Xbox crapped out and even using the same gamertag was unable to get the games again for free. I didn't save the e-mails but i called Xbox support and had no luck.[/QUOTE]

People seem to have very different experiences with this issue, I wonder if M$ has an official stance on this...

[quote name='mick16']Same deal here. I downloaded a couple of games on Xbox Arcade and was screwed when my old Xbox crapped out and even using the same gamertag was unable to get the games again for free. I didn't save the e-mails but i called Xbox support and had no luck.[/QUOTE]

All the more reason to keep the emails saved. If you prove you've paid for the content, and you can't get to it again because your XBox crapped out, the emails prove you should.

If I was in that situation, then I'd have them refund my money on the content, and just DL it again, which does the same job as getting back into it.

I have just wondered about this topic.

What's to prevent a group of friends from each putting in a couple of bucks, downloading the maps and then drawing names out of a hat for the disc. I guess nothing.

[quote name='ryosnk']People, the maps are going to be FREE after the summer![/QUOTE]

He is right. I read it in EGM. Also the whole renting thing works because you can buy the maps over live. $5.99 for two right now, two for free and 5 for $11.99 sometime later before the discs come out.

Do you guys think this is a new thing, we will starting seeing more of? games releasing follow ups like patches for a PC game. but they are on disc's and you have to pay for them. why can't they be free? Like the extra levels for the first splinter cell.

[quote name='Graystone']Do you guys think this is a new thing, we will starting seeing more of? games releasing follow ups like patches for a PC game. but they are on disc's and you have to pay for them. why can't they be free? Like the extra levels for the first splinter cell.[/QUOTE]

They did get their money out of us for the game, so there is no profit in using manpower to develop free stuff over a whole new game. I have not paid for a single download yet, and will not get the Halo maps until they're free or I can rent the disc, but I understand their desire to charge for additional content over the original work.

bread's done
Back