Halo 3: ODST - Gen. Discussion & Info

It all depends on the difficulty you choose, whether you are playing alone or with friends and how good you are and your friends if you are playing co-op.

[quote name='Zoglog']Hmmm, that's wierd, I played through 3 missions on solo, jumped into a friend's co-op campaign. I came back and I couldn't quite resume the campaign where I left off. now it's listed that I still need to finish the first 2 flashbacks.... annoying.

Is there any way to jump back into night mode and find another beacon?[/QUOTE]

From the comments above, sounds like i'm not the only one. It has to do with Jumping into a seperate co-op campaign game I guess....

You definitely have to select 'save and quit' in order to save. I found that out yesterday after I accidentally signed out of my profile. My only question is whether or not I have to redo past flashbacks in order to finish the game and see the ending. What a pain in the ass. What's weird is the ONI mission was the last one I finished yet the game stored every unlocked weapon cache and the audio files I had found up to that point.

[quote name='archibishopthedoge']Eh Ive still not touched it since I got it yesterday, but this short campaign talk is making me a sad panda :( I knew it wasnt long, but it sounds ridiculously short.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, Normal was probably not the setting I should've chosen. I played through H3 on Heroic the first time through and I probably should've done so this time, I just didn't want to bother with it quite yet because I was eager to get through the campaign and get to FF.

But Firefight makes the game completely worth it. I spent about 5 hrs playing it yesterday with people from CAG and GAF, and that was only for 3 games.

Also, play the game solo. If you play it on co-op the first time, it ruins the game's atmosphere and overall difficulty.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']To be fair, Normal was probably not the setting I should've chosen. I played through H3 on Heroic the first time through and I probably should've done so this time, I just didn't want to bother with it quite yet because I was eager to get through the campaign and get to FF.

But Firefight makes the game completely worth it. I spent about 5 hrs playing it yesterday with people from CAG and GAF, and that was only for 3 games.

Also, play the game solo. If you play it on co-op the first time, it ruins the game's atmosphere and overall difficulty.[/QUOTE]
That's how I'm doing it.
I'm playing it solo on heroic and to be quite honest I'm not too sure where I am. lol
I think I finally got out of the city core, but really have no clue what's going on. lol
Maybe I suck but I've probably spent about 4hrs on the campaign and while I wouldn't say it's easy, it's sort of tough at times too. Their have been a few times I've just ended up running and hoping I don't get shot at!

Then again I only finished Halo 2 and 3 on normal modes, still I am liking the game. :applause:

Just beat it co-op with my brother's account recovered on my console and when he recovered it back onto his console, we lost the save. Had to start all over again. So don't do that -.-

Overall, wish I had just rented it. Short and boring, imo.

[quote name='gage006']Just beat it co-op with my brother's account recovered on my console and when he recovered it back onto his console, we lost the save. Had to start all over again. So don't do that -.-

Overall, wish I had just rented it. Short and boring, imo.[/QUOTE]

A TON of people are playing on co-op first time through huh..

I mean I can't knock on anyone for playing on co-op the first time if they want to, but again, it takes away from the game. Pretty much everyone here or on GAF who has said they were underwhelmed by the campaign has played it co op.

You guys should really try Firefight though, ish gets intense.

I've loved it besides the damn Hunter part near the beginning.

And I went back and played Halo 3 multiplayer for the first time in many months...yikes I was bad

Last edited by a moderator:
As a new player to Halo 3, I have a few questions for when my ODST gets here via Super Saver.

How many achievement points could I get from the ODST package?

What are some awesome user created DLC? I know of Grifball, but that's about it.

anyone having issues downloading things from bungie favorites while on the mp disc or is it just me?

EDIT: nvm it finally started working

[quote name='BREVITY']I loved that audio dialog w/the girl making the noise to her dad on the video conference. Loved it![/QUOTE]

Haha, ya that was pretty funny.

What I don't like really though is how you can't stop to listen because the game isn't paused or if you go on ahead you can't really hear what's happening around you, ie. getting shot at until you get shot.

Really liking the game so far. The music and graphics are great and I heard the story gets really cool later on. The weapons are taking a lot of bullets to kill dudes, I guess because I'm playing on Heroic. Don't mind too much, as it just makes me try out different guns more often than I usually do in Halo. Playing as Buck right now, so I just started, obviously. I've been exploring every alley and other path but haven't found any of the audio logs or anything interesting which I'm disappointed in. I'll keep exploring and hope to find stuff though.

Installed both discs and it doesn't seem to be loading slowly for either.

Pretty psyched that I got this game for so cheap at Amazon. Should get Halo Wars from Amazon tomorrow also, so I'm really getting back into Halo now. Might even read one of the books I've had for so long.

Looking for some people to play odst co-op with! i'm on eastern standard time and i will be available anyday after 6:00 p.m. Send me a freind request. billyjack77

Im down for some co op campaign. I want to finish the game first before I play anymore Firefight. Ill send you a FR. Im eastern standard time also.

Im up for some co op campaign if you need help. ^^^ Ill send you a FR. I really like the music score in ODST.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']
First Q: Never thought about that. Could be either/or if you ask me.

Second Q: I'll have to beat the game on Legendary to see what you're talking about. I played the Halo 2 campaign the least amount of times (2x maybe) versus Halo and Halo 3 (Halo like 10x over and Halo 3 4x?) I might pop in H2 and try to remember the storyline there
[/QUOTE]

First: Mmk, at least I wasn't going crazy about it. And that is plausible to be either as both continue to go on (even the one that shoots at you).

Second: Yea, you should. Coop makes it pretty damn easy, so it shouldn't be too hard. Like I said, it shows the superintendent (data center where you met the engineer) with a few Covenant engineers floating in space above it. Then a prophet floats down from the roof of the "cave" and points down at, what looks to be, some type of Halo ring or other device in a hole down a small hill from the superintendent. And then it ends...

Does anyone else feel that the tone for this game is just wrong? I never really got the feeling that the human race was one step away from extinction. Anyone remember that Halo 3 ad where they show a huge model of a battle where people are getting butchered and look desperate? Thats the tone this game needed.

Also the melee is way too effective, even on legendary. I can buy that Master Chief could punch an 800 lb gorilla monster in the back and kill it no problem, but a marine? I mean in a fight between a gorilla and Kimbo Slice, I would take the gorilla any day of the week, even if Kimbo got the drop on it and he had a solid object to hit it with.

One more gripe
Everyone lives!? I think the story would have been better if you track down your squadmates corpses and relive their glorious last stands all the while discovering what your mission was and then ultimately completing it.

All in all the game is great, the opening sequence where you drop is pretty awesome, the night vision effect is really cool, it's more halo campaign which is also awesome, and Firefight seems like it will be alot of fun once some of my friends pick up the game.

[quote name='dropbearGSH']Does anyone else feel that the tone for this game is just wrong? I never really got the feeling that the human race was one step away from extinction. Anyone remember that Halo 3 ad where they show a huge model of a battle where people are getting butchered and look desperate? Thats the tone this game needed.

Also the melee is way too effective, even on legendary. I can buy that Master Chief could punch an 800 lb gorilla monster in the back and kill it no problem, but a marine? I mean in a fight between a gorilla and Kimbo Slice, I would take the gorilla any day of the week, even if Kimbo got the drop on it and he had a solid object to hit it with.

One more gripe
Everyone lives!? I think the story would have been better if you track down your squadmates corpses and relive their glorious last stands all the while discovering what your mission was and then ultimately completing it.

All in all the game is great, the opening sequence where you drop is pretty awesome, the night vision effect is really cool, it's more halo campaign which is also awesome, and Firefight seems like it will be alot of fun once some of my friends pick up the game.[/QUOTE]

The idea of a "one hit kill melee" in the back has been with the series since Halo 1, I wouldn't expect them nor want them to change that.

I was actually glad they all lived. I liked all the characters so much, I literally thought to myself while I was playing "Man I'm gonna be pissed if anyone dies." But, Bungie's storytelling throughout their games is that the central story has always a been a bit lighter than the actual heavy and dark setting they take place in. But I agree, if Bungie wanted to make a super hardcore, dramatic war-time story with death everywhere, I'd be down for that. Except I'm in the personal opinion that game stories cannot match the impact of a movie or a book that may tell the same exact story, so I'm not sure how well that'd go over.

Oh my god, words cannot even express the idiocy the NPCs have when it comes to driving vehicles around. It is easily the worst driving AI I have experienced in half a decade. The idiots would drive into shit ON A NON-STOP BASIS, including walls or just sit out in the open when they're being shot at by a wraith.

Driver: Hey, look! There's a cliff side! *Rams warthog into the cliff side*
Me: Dumbass.
Driver: fuck you, now I'm going to sit here and let us get shot at by wraiths.
Me: ...

Thought it was a one or two time fluke at first but very quickly found out it wasn't. Those people need to be put up for the Darwin Awards or something because they're Grade A+ retards.

I asked this a few pages back but no one answered...so I'll ask it again. I can't find the answer anywhere else online either...

To get the achievement for beating the game on Legendary, do you have to do everything including the hub or can you just go to mission select and choose individual missions and beat them on Legendary?

The driving AI has always been bad in Halo. I nearly died multiple times in ODST from being rammed by them countless times.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']I asked this a few pages back but no one answered...so I'll ask it again. I can't find the answer anywhere else online either...

To get the achievement for beating the game on Legendary, do you have to do everything including the hub or can you just go to mission select and choose individual missions and beat them on Legendary?[/QUOTE]

I got the Vidmaster Challenge Achievement for the last level on Legendary through Mission Select.

[quote name='Trakan']I got the Vidmaster Challenge Achievement for the last level on Legendary through Mission Select.[/QUOTE]

But that is mission specific, the achievement states Coastal Highway.

[quote name='kylerg']The driving AI has always been bad in Halo. I nearly died multiple times in ODST from being rammed by them countless times.[/QUOTE]

I don't remember it being anywhere near this bad. Though last time I let AI drive me around was probably Halo 2.

we were all very excited to play 4 player coop on release day when Halo 3 came out... but we were all extremly disappointed with what a failure it was because it was so pathetically easy even on legendary. we beat the whole thing in 4 hours the day it came out (compared to weeks for Halo 1 and 2)

it wasn't until 6 months later that we figured out how to make Halo 3 4 player coop an enjoyable challenge by finding and turning on all the skulls, but by then it was too late. also, it is ridiculous that i have to play through the entire game at least once (to find all the skulls) before i can play it again the way i want to play it

before i go out and buy ODST and round up my friends to play, i need to know about the 4 player coop difficulty. is it sissy mode on legendary again? is there once again a hidden method to make the game challenging? do i have to play through the game once, thus ruining the experience, before i can unlock this mode?

thanks for your help

[quote name='ZippyDan'] before i go out and buy ODST and round up my friends to play, i need to know about the 4 player coop difficulty. is it sissy mode on legendary again? is there once again a hidden method to make the game challenging? do i have to play through the game once, thus ruining the experience, before i can unlock this mode?p[/QUOTE]

You can turn on skulls in ODST without having beat the game. I'm not sure if they take them from Halo 3 or if they're built in automatically as I got all the skulls in Halo 3 already.

Also, the game is played a bit different than Halo 3 but not a whole lot. You don't have as much overall health before you die and thus are forced to take cover a little more. Firefight is also a seemingly a challenge depending on the map and such. Granted it could just be because I have this skull enabled called "HotShotX" that eats up your teams life pool.

EDIT: Also firefight is a blast with people and will increasingly become more difficult. I don't believe there's an end to the levels either.

Alright, I need help. So, was playing the ONI Alpha Base, made it almost to the end of the level, and had to leave. So, I shut off my Xbox without saving and quitting. Coming back and noticing this, I DID NOT want to walk through the streets again. So I just started from the level itself from the Campaign option (stupidy I may add, didn't read the prompt). I beat the level, was sent back to streets, where I was sent to pick up the next item. The item was the
recon helmet from the beginning of the game
. I picked it up and was sent back to the first level.

So, now I can't choose the next level on Campaign. So, I have two options:
1. BEAT THE ENITRE PARTS OVER AGAIN (I'm playing on legendary, NOT doing that again)
2. Play co-op with my friends that have beat the game.

So, heres my question, if I go through the games with friends, will I still get the achivements for beating the levels? Or can I just re-do ONI Alpha Base on Legendary and try to get it to redirect me to the correct item?

Darn you Amazon and everyone on my friends list who has this game! You have made me purchase this expansion pack. I'll have it next week I guess.

It did the save thing to me again! WTF? I saved and quit earlier today right after it said checkpoint...done, so now i turn it on and it took me to the save point before i started playing earlier this afternoon. This is a crock of fucking shit.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']The fact that this game's main characters are voiced by a majority of the Firefly/Serenity cast makes it infinitely better, in my book.[/QUOTE]
That I have to agree with.

Gotta love having Mal and Jane running around shooting stuff up.
Go figure they give Jane the big guns.

Is anybody else having trouble with the audiofiles or knows what the heck is going on? I've played all the way to the last 2 maps on Legendary Co-op with a friend and decided to play through normal by myself to snag all the level and collectible achievements.

I found a map listing all the audio file locations, and I'm coming up to several of them and they're not yellow in the hud or giving me the "Press RB to collect" options. I wanna say it's already collected, but my achievement tracker doesn't list it.

For example:
Start new campaign file
Audio file #1 is collected and shows 1/30 in my tracker
Audio file #2 isn't showing up, assuming it's already collected
Audio file #3 is collected but my tracker only shows 2/30 collected

I've even deleted my game save, cleared my 360 cache, and started a new save and now file 1 isn't even showing up.

Am I just being a paranoid freak and the 30 files will appear after beating the game or Bungie is keeping track of this so it doesn't matter what my tracker says or what?

Just played some firefight a little while ago, scored a little more than 850,000 on heroic on Lost Platoon. Would've gotten a ton more but the guys I was playing with had a 8 o'clock class. I think we had like 13 lives remaining.

Our total playtime was an hr and 39 mins.

Yeah, Lost Platoon is awesome. We were at 650k on Normal when my buddy had a power issue which killed our game. We still had a dozen lives as well.

[quote name='Draekon']You can turn on skulls in ODST without having beat the game. I'm not sure if they take them from Halo 3 or if they're built in automatically as I got all the skulls in Halo 3 already.

Also, the game is played a bit different than Halo 3 but not a whole lot. You don't have as much overall health before you die and thus are forced to take cover a little more. Firefight is also a seemingly a challenge depending on the map and such. Granted it could just be because I have this skull enabled called "HotShotX" that eats up your teams life pool.

EDIT: Also firefight is a blast with people and will increasingly become more difficult. I don't believe there's an end to the levels either.[/QUOTE]

i have all the skulls in Halo 3 so that sounds good...

the most important one is probably Iron... or the respawn system in general. Having 4 players in Halo 3, and anyone ONE player being able to respawn the other THREE just made the campaign too easy. You could have one guy always hang back a little and play safety and you would never have to restart. How does ODST handle this?

Lost Platoon should be a good one to do the Heroic Vidoc on since the Spartan Laser one-hits wraiths at that difficulty still. I know someone on my friends list who has like 1.5 million score on that level for Heroic with two hours of play. Don't know if he died at that point or if he quit, but I do know he has all the vidoc achievements.

I did Windward yesterday with a group of four yesterday and while we didn't get a high score in terms of time spent, we still hit the 200k achievement. Having it such close quarters is pretty hectic at times, but it's fun to get killionaires the as covenant are dropping troops on the landing pad (when they actually drop them there anyways). My group probably would have scored higher on the level, but someone got kicked off of Live and it killed the game. They really need to fix that. -_-

[quote name='ZippyDan']i have all the skulls in Halo 3 so that sounds good...

the most important one is probably Iron... or the respawn system in general. Having 4 players in Halo 3, and anyone ONE player being able to respawn the other THREE just made the campaign too easy. You could have one guy always hang back a little and play safety and you would never have to restart. How does ODST handle this?[/QUOTE]

Iron is in there to prevent respawning if you wish, otherwise it's just like Halo 3.

[quote name='Aku']Is anybody else having trouble with the audiofiles or knows what the heck is going on? I've played all the way to the last 2 maps on Legendary Co-op with a friend and decided to play through normal by myself to snag all the level and collectible achievements.

I found a map listing all the audio file locations, and I'm coming up to several of them and they're not yellow in the hud or giving me the "Press RB to collect" options. I wanna say it's already collected, but my achievement tracker doesn't list it.

For example:
Start new campaign file
Audio file #1 is collected and shows 1/30 in my tracker
Audio file #2 isn't showing up, assuming it's already collected
Audio file #3 is collected but my tracker only shows 2/30 collected

I've even deleted my game save, cleared my 360 cache, and started a new save and now file 1 isn't even showing up.

Am I just being a paranoid freak and the 30 files will appear after beating the game or Bungie is keeping track of this so it doesn't matter what my tracker says or what?[/QUOTE]

Some audio files don't appear until after you've beaten some of the missions. I think what you want to do is complete the entire campaign, then from the main menu, choose campaign -> replay mission -> Mombosa Streets. Then you should be able to collect all 29 there. Then SAVE AND QUIT, then replay Data Hive for the last one.

[quote name='Oside_hunter']Are all the audio files in each difficulty or only some in each? I played on normal alone and could only find like 13.[/QUOTE]

You can get all 30 in any difficulty. Some of them are pretty well hidden. I used this guide, the videos made it alot easier

Is the mythic map pack on a disk or is there a code? I got the game from gamefly, they only sent the disk with the campaign on it. I can pay it for $44 and they will send the 2nd disk with it.

[quote name='MikeydCT']Is the mythic map pack on a disk or is there a code? I got the game from gamefly, they only sent the disk with the campaign on it. I can pay it for $44 and they will send the 2nd disk with it.[/QUOTE]
It's on the second disk

[quote name='neverletthem']Alright, I need help. So, was playing the ONI Alpha Base, made it almost to the end of the level, and had to leave. So, I shut off my Xbox without saving and quitting. Coming back and noticing this, I DID NOT want to walk through the streets again. So I just started from the level itself from the Campaign option (stupidy I may add, didn't read the prompt). I beat the level, was sent back to streets, where I was sent to pick up the next item. The item was the
recon helmet from the beginning of the game
. I picked it up and was sent back to the first level.

So, now I can't choose the next level on Campaign. So, I have two options:
1. BEAT THE ENITRE PARTS OVER AGAIN (I'm playing on legendary, NOT doing that again)
2. Play co-op with my friends that have beat the game.

So, heres my question, if I go through the games with friends, will I still get the achivements for beating the levels? Or can I just re-do ONI Alpha Base on Legendary and try to get it to redirect me to the correct item?[/QUOTE]

If you look at your map, you should be able to select any of the mission locations you haven't done since you restarted (ie: chose a level from the level select). I would guess the next level is also available to select, so you should select the objective at the bottom of your list. That is, unless the game requires you to have all previous missions beaten in one play through before it unlocks the next one - which would be dumb.

To everyone annoyed by the save system, remember that your viewfinder data (whatever it's called) is what's really important. It keeps track of missions you've unlocked and audio files you've found, and it seems to be saving constantly. The checkpoints just save the state of your inventory and the level.

I haven't experimented enough to confirm that, but it seems to be the intent of the game, at least.

EDIT: On loading up the game, I see that I don't have the underground access on my map, even though I have everything else. So, I don't know what you have to do.

I beat the campaign on solo Legendary a couple of days ago, and I enjoyed it. It didn't feel particularly short, but it was less substantial. Basically, the game seems to have a similar number of levels to other Halos, but they're easier and shorter, and half of them are completely vehicle based (which of course, makes them easier). I'm a little surprised to hear about people feeling vulnerable and using stealth in New Mombasa, because it never occurred to me. Maybe if the Rookie was more vulnerable than the people in the missions, the feeling would have clicked, but as it is, I saw no reason to stop the killing once I got back into the Rookie's head.

I thought the invincible NPC squad-mates kind of screwed up the game. Parts that should have been a challenge, like encounters with Brute Chieftains (with the hammers), became easy when the enemies spent their time trying to kill the NPCs. Just wait for the chieftain to to start murdering Buck, then shoot him in the back.

I like Firefight, but I think I prefer GoW's Hoard set-up more. Possibly because I or my friends just lack skill, I prefer shorter challenges and quick restarts than the drawn out intensity of Firefight. I can't deny that success in Firefight is rewarding, though.

[quote name='bs000'] You can get all 30 in any difficulty. Some of them are pretty well hidden. I used this guide, the videos made it alot easier[/QUOTE] Thanks for the link.

bread's done
Back