Halo 3 Special Edition Console 199.99 NEW w/ trade-in Gamestop YMMV

SovietSlayer

CAGiversary!

Long story short you can call up Gamestop and ask them if they have the halo 3 console in stock; Better yet ask them to search all the nearby stores for it. According to the receipt the console is listed as 020076 002/000 or 112909RWK029. BTW these consoles are NOT on display but in the back which is why they have not been sold. Best of all since these consoles are sold as brand new so you get 3yrs of warranty. Also the one GREAT thing about these special edition consoles is they actually fix/replace the motherboard for you vs. getting someone else's box where you don't even know if they did anything at all. (at-least the majority of the time)

180x180_30hrdwr.jpg

Okay now here is the important part until 2/21/2010 Gamestop will give a $30 bonus on your trade-in console if you buy a brand new console. So 100 for a wired 360 no hdd and 110 for a wireless 360 no hdd. This drops down the 309.99 price to 199.99 (209.99 w/ wired trade-in) which is a lot more reasonable IMO.

P.S. According to the guy I spoke with there are Halo 3 console at the Gamestops in Mission Viejo, Santa Ana and Garden Groove. He also said there was one at the Gamestop in South Coast Plaza and he was right about that because I bought it.

Last edited by a moderator:
How big's the harddrive on these? A 60 or 20? If it's 20 gigs then it's pretty pricey... I actually called my GS and they didn't have it, so you should put a YMMV up in the thread title.

Just remember that it has a 20GB HD and a zephyr chipset. Unless you really like the design, just get an elite for $10 less.

I'd be careful on this if you do find one. Some of us had to fight for MS to honor the warranty when Hot Topic had them for sale... You should be able to find the thread in the deal graveyard.

I bought two of these brand new and both have RROD'd or E74'd.
I'd suggest buying a newer Elite with 250GB HDD over these definitely.
Or If you are really hard up for the Halo casing then do a case swap with someone :p.

Yeah, the hardware in these is too old, unfortunately, so you're basically buying a ticking timebomb. If you could get one real cheap, like some people did when Hot Topic had them for, I think, $200 a while back, that's one thing. But no reason to pay $300+.

[quote name='Zaggart']I'd be careful on this if you do find one. Some of us had to fight for MS to honor the warranty when Hot Topic had them for sale... You should be able to find the thread in the deal graveyard.[/QUOTE]
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196558

If I had to speculate I would assume the problem was with Hot Topic not being an "authorized" reseller but at the same time all the problems those people faced got MS to change the warranty policy.

BTW my console had a 'false start" warranty on it too saying it was sold back in 07. But in the box the halo 3 theme/pics dl card was not used and on the box the Gamestop label says "309.99 NEW." So I just called 18004myxbox and told them how much paid, how the box says new and that i bought it from Gamestop. Surprisingly they changed the warranty start date of the console without me even needing to fax them the receipt.
[quote name='bryenfury']I bought two of these brand new and both have RROD'd or E74'd[/QUOTE]
Did you send them into microsoft for repairs? If so what motherboard did you get back?

[quote name='SovietSlayer']Did you send them into microsoft for repairs? If so what motherboard did you get back?[/QUOTE]the same box back, just with repaired GPU. I love the look, but not worth 300 bucks.

I had my Halo console repaired and received what appears to be an original mobo back. Although, the first Xbox I sent in for repairs also returned with an original mobo, has been through hell since then, and still works like a champ. I wish I knew wtf they change on them...

This totally isn't worth it. 20GB hard drive and a "neat" design. Honestly, you're better off to track down the Modern Warfare 2 360 for roughly same price on clearance.

Get it if you're that much of a Halo fan that you HAVE to have this obsolete bundle.

gamecrazy has had these for awhile now too for $299.99 new but not worth the price as they're the old chip and only have a 20gb hd. it's a cool design and might be worth it for a collector but other than that, just pass on it. you can get it used for $179.99 @ gc too

Don't waste your money (that is, unless you like wasting money.) I have one of these systems and it's an old board and drive. Thing sounds like a damn airplane taking off.

Thank you for the post op, but this in no way is a deal. Old mother board, 20 GB and no halo 3 game, even though its a halo 3 bundle(lol) makes this a rip

My friend has one of these and honestly, it is a very ugly console. It is a real ugly looking green with a dark orange accent. The Halo edition on the original Xbox looked really cool with the transparent green case, but this one does not. Go with the Elite!

[quote name='4tygames']My friend has one of these and honestly, it is a very ugly console. It is a real ugly looking green with a dark orange accent. The Halo edition on the original Xbox looked really cool with the transparent green case, but this one does not. Go with the Elite![/QUOTE]

QFT. This thing is really ugly imo, and I'm a Halo fan.

God, I still can't get over how absolutely ugly every bit of that console is. From the color scheme to the gamer pics...you'd really have to be a collector with a massive case of OCD to feel compelled to buy it at this price and with such old hardware.

DAMN soo much hate.

At first you think the console is ugly but it grows on you.

Also unless you love keeping every single demo and HDD install the 250gb is beyond overkill.

Sorry, but 250GB is definitely not overkill for plenty of people. You don't want to constantly be deleting and re-installing games. As reliable as drives have become over the years, they still have a finite lifespan, which is going to be decreased if you have to always be deleting and installing large files. I wish I could swing picking up the FFXIII console bundle or trying to get a used 250GB drive off eBay.

I don't install games but I download alot of arcade games, themes, gamerpics, add-ons and more and out of the 107gb (after formatting the 120gb hd) I still have 39.5gb. Even 250gb is crazy, no one really needs that much space and I don't install games to the hard drive it's a waste especially since I wear my tb headset it's pointless I can't hear anything other than the game audio anyways.

Seeing as I just I said I need that space, your "no one needs that much space" comment is incorrect. Just because you don't install games doesn't mean no one else wants to. And installs do more than make the system quiet. I don't always want to sit through 30 second loading screens when I die. It also extends the life of your disc tray, but at the expense of your hard drive. Optical drives, when overused, can burn out pretty quick, though, and the 360's track record with optical drives is not too impressive.

20 sucks
60 is alright
80 is great
120 is perfect
250 is an overkill

20 gig on my 360 ftl
120 gig on my ps3 ftw

it feels like the ps3 offers more freedom with your hdd. then again i never buy arcades from xbl..

That logic is not accurate. Content does not get erased when you hit delete. It merely gets checked to be overwritten later. So the truth is the hard drive only gets worn when you access files and when you write down new files. The majority of the read wear will come from reading files like videos, arcade games, music, dlc and the majority of write wear will come from games cacheing content or saving information. The actual downloading of content from LIVE is really negligible compared to these processes.

P.S. If you actually are buying full movies on LIVE and need the 250gb space for that then you are getting scammed. The 360 supports HD video only; Not sound. So you are better off buying real BD movies.

As always, it's unfortunate that MS forces us to buy their hard drives. I don't know about anyone else, and I really don't care. I know that I want to install a lot of games to the drive, and most games are 5GB+, so that filles up pretty fast, not including all of the stuff I download to the drive.

[quote name='SovietSlayer']That logic is not accurate. Content does not get erased when you hit delete. It merely gets checked to be overwritten later. So the truth is the hard drive only gets worn when you access files and when you write down new files.[/QUOTE]

Um...duh...exactly what I said. If you're constantly deleting games, and you want to install them again later, hey, guess what...something gets written to the drive. Get a clue next before you try to "correct" someone. You look fairly stupid correcting someone and basically making their point for them.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Um...duh...exactly what I said. If you're constantly deleting games, and you want to install them again later, hey, guess what...something gets written to the drive. Get a clue next before you try to "correct" someone. You look fairly stupid correcting someone and basically making their point for them.[/QUOTE]
WOW way to take some thing OUT OF CONTEXT. I explained how deleting games does not wear down the hard drive and how the other actions effect the life far greater then the constant rewriting of content. Which may have a impact on a 20gb but at 120gb it is going to be negligible. Then in terms of space as long as you don't keep all your 6month hold HDD installs/demos that you don't play and you don't buy movies from LIVE; 120gb is enough space. These 2 reasons are why the 250gb is overkill.

[quote name='intoxicated662']I don't install games but I download alot of arcade games, themes, gamerpics, add-ons and more and out of the 107gb (after formatting the 120gb hd) I still have 39.5gb. Even 250gb is crazy, no one really needs that much space and I don't install games to the hard drive it's a waste especially since I wear my tb headset it's pointless I can't hear anything other than the game audio anyways.[/QUOTE]

When you have two disc drives die on you like I did, you won't say it's pointless.

Do keep in mind that the Halo 3 SE consoles are all refurbished consoles with shells that have had a paint job. There was a big article about it a while ago, forget where I found it. My manager actually had one of these and had to call microsoft to make them change out the board with one that wasn't refurbed when his got the E74 error. Be warned.

[quote name='Chardyll']Do keep in mind that the Halo 3 SE consoles are all refurbished consoles with shells that have had a paint job. There was a big article about it a while ago, forget where I found it. My manager actually had one of these and had to call microsoft to make them change out the board with one that wasn't refurbed when his got the E74 error. Be warned.[/QUOTE]

Probably the PS3 fanboy forum :roll:

They are not painted refurbs. Might as well claim all 360s are repackaged refubs.

Considering that Hot Topic of all places was selling this console over a year ago for less than $200 really kills this "deal".
Thanks for the effort though OP.

[quote name='Chardyll']Do keep in mind that the Halo 3 SE consoles are all refurbished consoles with shells that have had a paint job. There was a big article about it a while ago, forget where I found it. My manager actually had one of these and had to call microsoft to make them change out the board with one that wasn't refurbed when his got the E74 error. Be warned.[/QUOTE]
That is impossible. The Halo 3 console was released shortly after they made the switch to Zephyr. The Zephyr mobo needs a different scaling chip for HDMI digital output. The cost to desolder the key components and recycle them into a new motherboard wouldn't be worth it.

[quote name='SovietSlayer']Also the one GREAT thing about these special edition consoles is they actually fix/replace the motherboard for you vs. getting someone else's box where you don't even know if they did anything at all.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting this. My Halo Edition RRoD on me 2 weeks ago and it's in the process of shipping back to me. I've been worried what I might end up with especially considering that on the repair status page the console went from "Console Received" to "Repair Complete" in less than 24 hours.

When they repair your console does the warranty reset or is it still just 3 years from the original purchase date?

[quote name='ruxtpin']Don't waste your money (that is, unless you like wasting money.) I have one of these systems and it's an old board and drive. Thing sounds like a damn airplane taking off.[/QUOTE]

Even with games installed to my HD (wich i have upgraded to 120gb) mine sounds like a window AC unit on full blast. i think it looks sweet, but i wouldnt reccoment it to anyone else.

How can you hear the 360? i am usually lost in oblivion trying to shoot things and making things go boom.

what all of you play 2 feet from your xbox 360?

[quote name='cRodz']How can you hear the 360? i am usually lost in oblivion trying to shoot things and making things go boom.

what all of you play 2 feet from your xbox 360?[/QUOTE]

no, the older models are just THAT loud.

[quote name='gibbyva']When they repair your console does the warranty reset or is it still just 3 years from the original purchase date?[/quote]
It only gets extended if your within 90 days of your 3yr warrenty and then only by difference of 90 days and how many days you have left.

altho I should be honest, of course there is the chance that MS will send you a refurb someone else's box but the odds are far less when you have a special edition console. Look at bryenfury in this forum and I have seen others mention getting their same boxs back too. Which is in stark contrast from other people I know. Like my friend who is on his 5th or 6th xbox and when I asked him to check the mobo, it was a xenon. MS didnt even send him a new opus mobo:(

Anyways going from received to repair complete very fast means nothing. It takes a few minutes to swap in a new mobo and it takes a few min to log into the system and select send in stock refurb.

[quote name='SilentStryk09']no, the older models are just THAT loud.[/QUOTE]
mine was manufactured on October or November 2006
then it died on summer 08 and they changed the dvd-driver due to lolmods and the e74.

i dont hear my 360. well i do, but as i said, i am lost in complete oblivion playing vidya :D

I don't know why anyone would buy one at that price ...any hardcore Halo fan likely bought it at launch and no one else would have a reason to buy one. I remember when they were selling these for $200 at Hot Topic a long time ago ...$309 is just way too much for this.

My 360 is a halo edition console, but the motherboard inside is a 512 meg jasper with a late 09 build date. Got the case from a rrod 360 on craigslist. Looks unique.

[quote name='Guerrilla']Just remember that it has a 20GB HD and a zephyr chipset. Unless you really like the design, just get an elite for $10 less.[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I was thinking. Why would I want to pay extra for a vastly inferior system?

i buy one halo console on ebay for 150 bucks included shipping and the console is pretty new and a few games that was a cheap deal :bouncy:but the design is cool if the console breaks i take the guts of a elite and i put them into the halo lol

bread's done
Back