Halo 3 - Spring 2006 Confirmed (pre-orders up on EB & GS)

nixts

CAGiversary!
Xbox 360 makes the cover of Time Magazine, reportedly with some news regarding Microsoft's launch plans for Halo 3.

11010505231202jr.jpg

The next version of Halo will not, repeat not, be ready in time for the launch of Xbox 360. It will be part of the all-important second wave next spring. "It's perfect," Gates says, radiant with bloodlust. "The day Sony launches [the new PlayStation], and they walk right into Halo 3."

Added by CheapyD

Pre-orders are up:

ETA: 6/1/2006
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=T000284

ETA: 6/30/2006
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/520728.asp

X-Box on the cover? "Exclusive: Dave Chappelle Speaks"?

When did Time become fucking People Magazine for Bullshit-Intellectuals?

myke.
...good to hear about Halo 3, though I'm skeptical.

[quote name='basketkase543']I'm confused. How are they going to move any systems without a new Halo? What would they replace their killer app with?[/QUOTE]

The new morrowind has me buying it, just need a new bioware game and their set for launch

There's a little title called Perfect Dark Zero, that is REPORTEDLY a launch game. PS2 didn't have jack for killer apps when it launched and the sales were still insane, so I don't think MS is too worried about it.

heres a funny scenerio what if the next GTA would be released as a launch title for ps3 . I kno its unthinkable but that would be a very funny scenario though wouldnt it . Anyway even though they would be releasing halo 3 against the PS3 im guessing the majority of poeple who are going into get a ps3 will want a ps3. Maybe its geared more towards the mainstream meaning a guy walks in the store to get a new system sees halo 3 blown away by it and gets that instead of ps3 maybe I dunno .

Aren't we past the days when you only buy one system or the other? Halo 3 coming out sure isn't going to stop a gameer from buying a PS3. I'm sure the majority of people here own more than one system so it's not as if you chose PS3 and never get Halo 3 or vice versa.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Aren't we past the days when you only buy one system or the other? Halo 3 coming out sure isn't going to stop a gameer from buying a PS3. I'm sure the majority of people here own more than one system so it's not as if you chose PS3 and never get Halo 3 or vice versa.[/QUOTE]

For most people, 1 system at launch price is all they could afford. That's not saying they won't pick up the other(s) later down the road, which is what I did.

[quote name='bil4l']There's a little title called Perfect Dark Zero, that is REPORTEDLY a launch game. PS2 didn't have jack for killer apps when it launched and the sales were still insane, so I don't think MS is too worried about it.[/QUOTE]

The first next gen Madden was pretty killer for PS2 on launch....

[quote name='CaptainObviousXl']YEAH but it will prolly get pushed back[/QUOTE]

and if it dosent then its either a miracle or its just gonna be halo 2 with better graphics and alot of bugs and glitches

Killer App? How quickly did the first 100,000 PSPs sell with no "major" app? If anything, the PSP is a good indication that the Sony name can sell, virtually by itself. There are good PSP titles, sure, but other than Lumines, few are "must have" titles (and "killer apps" and puzzle games don't often meet each other, with the exception of Tetris on Game Boy).

myke.
...although, if competing *directly* with Halo 3 (both are released on the same day), then it is very possible that the Sony name won't save them.

[quote name='scdoanintendo']What's with the LED on the 360, is it all green or multi-colored like that?[/QUOTE]

Probably multi; the Xbox is like that too, but in halves instead of quarters - I've seen green, orange, and red, depending on how much I did to my console.

myke.

[quote name='mykevermin']X-Box on the cover? "Exclusive: Dave Chappelle Speaks"?

When did Time become fucking People Magazine for Bullshit-Intellectuals?
[/QUOTE]

Agreed... alot of these high end magazines are really dumbing themselves down lately. Playboy used to have some amazing articles in it, but lately it just seems like they are trying to be like Maxim and FHM in presentation.

They still have amazing articles occasionally, but you have to go through alot of BS to get to them. I mean, video game girls naked? That's not the Playboy I know.

...although, if competing *directly* with Halo 3 (both are released on the same day), then it is very possible that the Sony name won't save them.

I'm sorry, but this notion that Microsoft is going to release Halo 3 on the same day as the PS3 launch is laughable. It doesn't even make sense from a business perspective. What Microsoft will likely do, is release Halo 3 1-6 months before the PS3 launch. That way, people will play the game beforehand and put their money with Microsoft rather than Sony. Releasing Halo 3 on the same day as the PS3 would only serve to create a living hell for retail employees.

Of course, this is assuming that Halo 3 will be any good. If Halo 3 ends up being a rushed title, there is that slim chance that it will be released on the PS3 launch...But it's effect will only be short term in that case.

[quote name='Roufuss']Agreed... alot of these high end magazines are really dumbing themselves down lately. Playboy used to have some amazing articles in it, but lately it just seems like they are trying to be like Maxim and FHM in presentation.

They still have amazing articles occasionally, but you have to go through alot of BS to get to them. I mean, video game girls naked? That's not the Playboy I know.[/QUOTE]

Ive said that to a bunch of people lately and they said I was crazy. (guess it proves who reads the articles and who doesnt) Yeah, PB isnt nearly the gentleman's mag it once was. Sure its always had bare women but it managed to have class too. Now, not so much.

[quote name='Ugamer_X'] Releasing Halo 3 on the same day as the PS3 would only serve to create a living hell for retail employees.
[/QUOTE]

That would be one hell of a Midnight Madness sale.

[quote name='scdoanintendo']What's with the LED on the 360, is it all green or multi-colored like that?[/QUOTE]

The LED on the power indicator is in four parts and can be used to convey information about each player. The simplest is how many players are currently in the game and whether mor can join. It will also signal things like incoming alerts from friends via Xbox Live.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']I'm sorry, but this notion that Microsoft is going to release Halo 3 on the same day as the PS3 launch is laughable. It doesn't even make sense from a business perspective. What Microsoft will likely do, is release Halo 3 1-6 months before the PS3 launch. That way, people will play the game beforehand and put their money with Microsoft rather than Sony. Releasing Halo 3 on the same day as the PS3 would only serve to create a living hell for retail employees.

Of course, this is assuming that Halo 3 will be any good. If Halo 3 ends up being a rushed title, there is that slim chance that it will be released on the PS3 launch...But it's effect will only be short term in that case.[/QUOTE]

I disagree; a game can lose its luster 1-6 months after release, and it existence a moot point in preventing sales for the competition. Furthermore, regarding it being rushed: that's not important, because Halo 1 and Halo 2 both "delivered" (although #2 less so, to be honest); it has an excellent reputation, and thus its name value alone will sell millions of copies.

Will it be retail hell for employees? You betcha. That's the best part!

myke.
...I don't see how its laughable from a business perspective: a business is offering one in-demand product for $50 to keep people from buying another in-demand product for $250 (minimum). The $50 will be more enticing than $250, based upon simple risk/benefit analysis. What doesn't make sense about that?

[quote name='Ugamer_X']I'm sorry, but this notion that Microsoft is going to release Halo 3 on the same day as the PS3 launch is laughable. It doesn't even make sense from a business perspective. What Microsoft will likely do, is release Halo 3 1-6 months before the PS3 launch. That way, people will play the game beforehand and put their money with Microsoft rather than Sony. Releasing Halo 3 on the same day as the PS3 would only serve to create a living hell for retail employees.

Of course, this is assuming that Halo 3 will be any good. If Halo 3 ends up being a rushed title, there is that slim chance that it will be released on the PS3 launch...But it's effect will only be short term in that case.[/QUOTE]
Its very possible that Halo 3 will launch on the same day as the PS3. Nintendo did a similar thing releasing Majora's Mask(New Zelda Game =Killer App) the same day the PS2 was released. They do this to help push their own sales while lowering the competiors numbers. I'm sure lots of people would rather play Halo 3 than a PS3. Myself included.

I'm glad I don't work for any major game retailers. This is going to be nothing but mass chaos. Which is GREAT! I might just park outside of Gamestop around 11 p.m. that night and see how many fights break out.

[quote name='zewone']Its very possible that Halo 3 will launch on the same day as the PS3. Nintendo did a similar thing releasing Majora's Mask(New Zelda Game =Killer App) the same day the PS2 was released. They do this to help push their own sales while lowering the competiors numbers. I'm sure lots of people would rather play Halo 3 than a PS3. Myself included.[/QUOTE]

I guess that didnt hurt sony's sales and I dont think it stoped people from lining up and gettin the ps2.

[quote name='zewone']Its very possible that Halo 3 will launch on the same day as the PS3. Nintendo did a similar thing releasing Majora's Mask(New Zelda Game =Killer App) the same day the PS2 was released. They do this to help push their own sales while lowering the competiors numbers. I'm sure lots of people would rather play Halo 3 than a PS3. Myself included.[/QUOTE]

seems like a premature statement to make, i know lots of people are looking forward to halo 3... but nobody knows anything about the ps3 right now... i mean, who knows what killer app (if any) they have at launch, it could potentially backfire on microsoft, i agree that it might be more useful to release it like a month before ps3 launch

[quote name='mykevermin']I disagree; a game can lose its luster 1-6 months after release, and it existence a moot point in preventing sales for the competition. Furthermore, regarding it being rushed: that's not important, because Halo 1 and Halo 2 both "delivered" (although #2 less so, to be honest); it has an excellent reputation, and thus its name value alone will sell millions of copies.

Will it be retail hell for employees? You betcha. That's the best part!

myke.
...I don't see how its laughable from a business perspective: a business is offering one in-demand product for $50 to keep people from buying another in-demand product for $250 (minimum). The $50 will be more enticing than $250, based upon simple risk/benefit analysis. What doesn't make sense about that?[/QUOTE]

if this model is to be correct wouldnt it mean that the person would have to have the xbox 360 already in order to enjoy the $50 halo 3 game. I would think microsoft wants to release it at the same time to move some more xbox 360s instead of ps3s. so it would be like $300 (minimum) for xbox360 and halo 3 compared to $300(minumum ofcourse) PS3 with some (most likely) so-so launch title . Am i correct on this assumption ?

[quote name='jam3582']I guess that didnt hurt sony's sales and I dont think it stoped people from lining up and gettin the ps2.[/QUOTE]
Well of course, almost no game is ever going to have as much selling power as a brand new system.

[quote name='jam3582']if this model is to be correct wouldnt it mean that the person would have to have the xbox 360 already in order to enjoy the $50 halo 3 game. I would think microsoft wants to release it at the same time to move some more xbox 360s instead of ps3s. so it would be like $300 (minimum) for xbox360 and halo 3 compared to $300(minumum ofcourse) PS3 with some (most likely) so-so launch title . Am i correct on this assumption ?[/QUOTE]

Yes and no. There may be people moved to buy an Xbox 360 when Halo 3 is released; on the other hand, there are likely to be people who already own 360, who will purchase Halo 3 rather than a PS3. As many have pointed out, we are no longer in a generation that requires only 1 console.

myke.

Yes, I see Hallo 3 being released on the same day as the PS3. It doesn't make business sense, but this isn't about business sense. It's all about hubris.

I have a feeling that "Halo 3" will be delayed quite a few times. I mean it took how long for Bungie to finally deliever "Halo 2" and in the end it was nothing more than "Halo 1" with an overglorified XBox Live patch thrown on it.

I doubt in the end that even if "Halo 3" comes out Spring 2006 that it will hurt PS3 sales that much. Casual gamers who usually buys a game system based upon what their friends/neighbor/coworker has most likely is going to go to the PS3 just on the basis of Sony being the current number 1 name in the gaming world. "Halo 3" will still do well in sales, but again... I doubt its going to affect PS3 sales.

The Halo 2 we got at retail was actually made in a matter of months. The original Halo 2 was scraped after E3 because it wasn't fun. Anyways, Halo 3 could be ready by the time PS3 comes out. I mean its about a year away.

[quote name='zewone']Well of course, almost no game is ever going to have as much selling power as a brand new system.[/QUOTE]

you know I really didnt remember it being released the same day , I wonder if it sold as much as they were hoping for during that whole first week it was released. any Idea ?

[quote name='mykervermin']Yes and no. There may be people moved to buy an Xbox 360 when Halo 3 is released; on the other hand, there are likely to be people who already own 360, who will purchase Halo 3 rather than a PS3. As many have pointed out, we are no longer in a generation that requires only 1 console.

myke..[/QUOTE]

tru but what about from microsoft stand point, I think they are trying to get potential customers that dont have the system more so than the ones who currently have it. Since it would be a much harder descision of which to buy PS3 or XBOX 360 they are giving people an incentive by releasing Halo 3 . well thats just my though but ofcourse I see what you are saying .

[quote name='jam3582']you know I really didnt remember it being released the same day , I wonder if it sold as much as they were hoping for during that whole first week it was released. any Idea ?[/QUOTE]
This is all I could fine in the 30 seconds I searched on Google:

Although PlayStation 2 was in the spotlight the week ending October 28, Nintendo’s N64 Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask was still able to take top honors, ranking the number one title that week.
http://www.npd.com/dynamic/releases/press_001109a.htm

[quote name='jam3582']tru but what about from microsoft stand point, I think they are trying to get potential customers that dont have the system more so than the ones who currently have it. Since it would be a much harder descision of which to buy PS3 or XBOX 360 they are giving people an incentive by releasing Halo 3 . well thats just my though but ofcourse I see what you are saying .[/QUOTE]

You're right; I have just been trying to make a case that it is wise, in a business sense, to subvert your competition and make money simultaneously.

Ackbar, I was hoping that, after MS and Sony both went through this console generation without really addressing or acknowledging hardware issues, and Nintendo's continued pushing of GC-GBA "connectivity" as an incredible feature, that it is truly *this* generation that is all about hubris. I hoped that it would die along with these consoles; given Sony's attitude toward PSP manufacturing problems, however, I suppose it can only get worse from here.

myke.
...really needs to STFU and work on his paper.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Yes, I see Hallo 3 being released on the same day as the PS3. It doesn't make business sense, but this isn't about business sense. It's all about hubris.[/QUOTE]

I once knew a dog named Hubris.

[quote name='basketkase543']I'm confused. How are they going to move any systems without a new Halo? What would they replace their killer app with?[/QUOTE]

They will replace the killer app with hype. Just like the PS2 didn't have a killer app at launch. xbox 360 will launch with people wanting the games that aren't out yet. Just like all the PS2 fans got one for MGS 2.

My guess Halo 3 will launch the same week as PS3. Just to give Sony a big F U.

[quote name='bil4l']There's a little title called Perfect Dark Zero, that is REPORTEDLY a launch game. PS2 didn't have jack for killer apps when it launched and the sales were still insane, so I don't think MS is too worried about it.[/QUOTE]

PS2 sales were not really insane at their launch, remember the "low" supply. In addition sales of competeing consoles were higher during that time DC, N64, and actually the ps1 sold more.

More importantly this shows that an impressive launch doesn't always make the system. DC2 anyone :lol:

[quote name='zewone']This is all I could fine in the 30 seconds I searched on Google:

Although PlayStation 2 was in the spotlight the week ending October 28, Nintendo’s N64 Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask was still able to take top honors, ranking the number one title that week.
http://www.npd.com/dynamic/releases/press_001109a.htm[/QUOTE]

AHH thanks I should have known to google that , wow that freakin game was 60 bux and was number one damn .

This will probably work as well as possible.

Unlike the first XBox, which was unproven and absolutely had to have a huge launch game, people now know the XBox name and, crappy MTV specials aside, will be impressed with the 360, especially after we have another 6 months of hype. Perfect Dark Zero may not have the "name impact" of a Halo, but still carries a reputation and is still definitely strong enough to be the featured launch title. Once a couple other strong launch titles are announced as well (say, PGR 3 and the new Madden) the launch lineup is plenty strong enough to move a lot of systems.

By staggering the Halo 3 launch to when Sony stands to strike hardest, they're being pretty clever. It's certainly not going to stop Sony from selling an assload of PS3s, but it stands to steal some of their attention at least. Plus, like I said elsewhere...it'll probably be really annoying for people standing in line for a PS3 at midnight (or whatever) to have to deal with a bunch of people in line for Halo 3. A lot more people can afford a $50 game than they can afford a $300-$400 system.

bread's done
Back