Halo Movie + Steven Spieldberg = Looking Likely!!! *UPDATED*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how to react to that news. I want to be excited cuz I heart Halo. But, it seems like it's destined to not turn into a movie.

[quote name='blader16']The Uncharted movie will blow this away[/QUOTE]

they're making a movie out of that game? Seems odd that they'd take a chance like that, considering that PS3 owners failed to buy Uncharted.

[quote name='ninja dog']they're making a movie out of that game? Seems odd that they'd take a chance like that, considering that PS3 owners failed to buy Uncharted.[/QUOTE]

Uncharted has sold strongly despite being a launch title, as is indicated by the fact that the game is still $60 MSPR despite being nearly 3 years old (and never going Greatest Hits). It certainly didn't have mass critical appeal when the system launched but has had strong legs over time.

If Sony can market it as the next-gen Indian Jones (which is what this game has often been compared to) then I believe it will be more successful than many video game adaptations. Some critics say the writing is good enough to be a full length film so only time will tell.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Meh, if it couldn't happen with Peter Jackson then I'm not optimistic it will happen with Spielberg.[/QUOTE]

Quoted for Truth.

[quote name='Ecofreak']Uncharted has sold strongly despite being a launch title, as is indicated by the fact that the game is still $60 MSPR despite being nearly 3 years old (and never going Greatest Hits). It certainly didn't have mass critical appeal when the system launched but has had strong legs over time.

If Sony can market it as the next-gen Indian Jones (which is what this game has often been compared to) then I believe it will be more successful than many video game adaptations. Some critics say the writing is good enough to be a full length film so only time will tell.

Quoted for Truth.[/QUOTE]

the game sold decent. Its sales are skewed because they include the sales of the 160gb ps3 bundle. Great game though.

[quote name='Ecofreak']Uncharted has sold strongly despite being a launch title, as is indicated by the fact that the game is still $60 MSPR despite being nearly 3 years old (and never going Greatest Hits). It certainly didn't have mass critical appeal when the system launched but has had strong legs over time.

it hasn't even cracked a million yet, has it? assuming the movie will draw less ticket sales than the game has sold, since it'll be a video game movie with limited appeal to those who are fans (and their unfortunate spouses), it'll bomb pretty hard.

[quote name='ninja dog']it hasn't even cracked a million yet, has it? assuming the movie will draw less ticket sales than the game has sold, since it'll be a video game movie with limited appeal to those who are fans (and their unfortunate spouses), it'll bomb pretty hard.[/QUOTE]

Depends who you ask. Uncharted supposedly broke 1 million worldwide back in January 2008, according to VG Charts (yes, I know their figures are suspect but it's all there really is).

As of now, also according to VG Charts, Uncharted has sold 2.5 million copies with the following breakdown:
Japan - 0.06 million (hahaha!)
US - 0.99 million
Everywhere Else - 1.44 million
Total: 2.49 million

We can of course argue over these figures as I do believe the copies sold bundled with the PS3.

Regardless of how many were sold stand-alone vice in a bundle, 2.49 million people have had the opportunity to play the game and this doesn't include used game sales. So let's say for fun that 0.5 million copies were sold used bringing the total player base to possible 3 million.

Not everyone will like it but given the glowing accolades that Uncharted 2 is receiving just from previews and demos, I believe it's safe to say that the Uncharted movie will do reasonably well assuming such praise carries over. A lot of people enjoy the game not because of the graphics and gameplay (which are very good) but also because of the sharp writing and characters.

Protip: Market the movie not as a video game adaptation but a feature length film with similarities to the video game. People love Indian Jones movies and the genre (maybe minus the zombies), this is the closet thing to a next gen version not based on busty heroines ala Lara Croft.

[quote name='ninja dog']uncharted 2 will give it a boost, but those worldwide sales hardly warrant a movie, unlike, say, Halo's worldwide sales.[/QUOTE]

Well congratulations to Halo then. For the premier Microsoft title since the launch of the Xbox, I would hope it has critical success at this point.

In the end, people want to see movies that are genuinely good and will avoid tie-ins if the reviews trash it (ala the newest Superman movie) and regardless of what movie stars are in it (ala Battle Field Earth w/ John Trovolta).

Hypothetically, if the Halo movie stinks the place to high heaven but Uncharted is a genuinely good movie then the fan base won't really matter in the end. And the same applies to the reverse.

[quote name='Malik112099']ALL VIDEO GAME MOVIES fuckING SUCK. What is wrong with you people?[/QUOTE]

Of course, when they all have C-list directors, writers and actors. Spielberg? Not quite a C-lister. We'll see what happens.

I'm more intrested in what happened with Dreamworks? Is it Speilberg's again? They separated from Paramont? Or does he have a new independent company?

That second Transformers movie is awful, although that may not really be Speilburg's fault, given it was apparently written in post production basically.

I don't understand how there's enough content in Halo OR Uncharted to make a good film. I mean both are decent shooters, I guess, but neither seems to have much of anything to the story (though I never played Halo 2 and 3).

I'd love The Force Unleashed story done as a live action film, and Jacen Solo's....events don :D

[quote name='Admiral Moo']Doesn't Spielberg already have like 27 movies lined up to direct and/or produce? Eh, what's one more.[/QUOTE]

he's starting his own INDEPENDENT studio a.k.a. more profits for him. He needs to start it out with a bang!

[quote name='Ecofreak']Well congratulations to Halo then. For the premier Microsoft title since the launch of the Xbox, I would hope it has critical success at this point.

In the end, people want to see movies that are genuinely good and will avoid tie-ins if the reviews trash it (ala the newest Superman movie) and regardless of what movie stars are in it (ala Battle Field Earth w/ John Trovolta).

Hypothetically, if the Halo movie stinks the place to high heaven but Uncharted is a genuinely good movie then the fan base won't really matter in the end. And the same applies to the reverse.[/QUOTE]

so...how's the pay at Sony?

"omg, uncharted is the best, it's sales are picking up, critically acclaimed, oscar-worthy writing, the Indiana Jones of the 21st century"

*one mention of Halo, which is actually on topic*

"GOOD FOR HALO THEN NYAHHHHHH"

[quote name='ninja dog']so...how's the pay at Sony?
[/QUOTE]

Huh? Maybe you were replying to something fanboy-ish he said earlier, but the post you're replying to isn't saying anything at all fanboyish-I think you probably misinterpreted it.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I'm more intrested in what happened with Dreamworks? Is it Speilberg's again? They separated from Paramont? Or does he have a new independent company?

That second Transformers movie is awful, although that may not really be Speilburg's fault, given it was apparently written in post production basically.

I don't understand how there's enough content in Halo OR Uncharted to make a good film. I mean both are decent shooters, I guess, but neither seems to have much of anything to the story (though I never played Halo 2 and 3).

I'd love The Force Unleashed story done as a live action film, and Jacen Solo's....events don :D[/QUOTE]

People rip into the second Transformers movie way too much than it deserves. The movie to me was like a live-action cartoon. It had the plot of a G1 episode (nonsensical, completely ridiculous and throwaway.) If people went into that movie hoping for a movie with decent acting and a plot that makes sense, that's their own fault.

After the first movie people should've mentally prepared themselves to know that there was no way in hell Revenge of the Fallen was going to be anything less than a 2 1/2 hour action movie that really makes no sense and boils down to robots fighting robots, which in my eyes is fucking awesome.

Both movies are pretty terrible, but I didn't get excited for them because I couldn't fucking wait for the story to unfold. I loved them because they're balls to the wall action, especially the second one.

Anyways back on topic:

Speilberg + ILM = win.

I really thought the first movie was decent though. I enjoyed it, and was ready for the sequel right away. It had a plot, was coherent, and kind of had a fun "guy and his car" vibe, and some spookyness, and whatnot. The second one was just garbage (although still...I don't know, I don't hate it)...

I looked into it though, and it sounds like the second one was started basically without a script because of the writer's strike, and then more or less written during post production (they basically finished writing it a week before it came out).

If you notice some of the better scenes in the movie, like where Optimus is addressing those military guys, a lot of the dialog is off camera...makes sense after you find out there may not have been a real script at the point that was shot/rendered :lol:

So...I haven't totally given up hope for a good third one, but yuck, I really really want a good one.

Both Beast Wars, and Transformers Animated, and even G1 were better than that (and even the first film...)

[quote name='ninja dog']so...how's the pay at Sony?

"omg, uncharted is the best, it's sales are picking up, critically acclaimed, oscar-worthy writing, the Indiana Jones of the 21st century"

*one mention of Halo, which is actually on topic*

"GOOD FOR HALO THEN NYAHHHHHH"[/QUOTE]

Wow -- way to fly off the hinges. You said earlier...

[quote name='ninja dog']it hasn't even cracked a million yet, has it? assuming the movie will draw less ticket sales than the game has sold, since it'll be a video game movie with limited appeal to those who are fans (and their unfortunate spouses), it'll bomb pretty hard.[/QUOTE]

I offered a counter point with why the Uncharted movie could be a success and you continue to think it'll fail regardless of what Sony or anyone else does. Sometimes directly and sometimes through condescension.

[quote name='ninja dog']uncharted 2 will give it a boost, but those worldwide sales hardly warrant a movie, unlike, say, Halo's worldwide sales.[/QUOTE]

If you actually read the last sentence of my post thoughtfully, you'd have understood that.

[quote name='Ecofreak']Hypothetically, if the Halo movie stinks the place to high heaven but Uncharted is a genuinely good movie then the fan base won't really matter in the end. And the same applies to the reverse.[/QUOTE]

I guess trying to have an honest discourse with some people can only go so far.

[quote name='Ecofreak']Wow -- way to fly off the hinges. You said earlier...

I offered a counter point with why the Uncharted movie could be a success and you continue to think it'll fail regardless of what Sony or anyone else does. Sometimes directly and sometimes through condescension.

If you actually read the last sentence of my post thoughtfully, you'd have understood that.

I guess trying to have an honest discourse with some people can only go so far.[/QUOTE]

whatever, I have to go return some videotapes

Launch title? What are you smoking? And why are people arguing with you about other pointless speculation when your first statement about Uncharted is that it was a launch title? It isn't even two years old yet.

Anyway, stop being dumb people. This thread isn't about Uncharted.

I don't really like Halo at all, but I would probably buy a $5.75 matinee ticket for any movie directed by PJ or SS. I don't think they would make something that I wouldn't enjoy on some level.

EDIT: I might have to take that comment back. After reading the "report", I have to say that if Shia Lebouf is in Halo, that's reason enough to not watch it. What is it with Spielberg and that dude?

It's kind of hilarious. I want him in a Halo movie, and a Bioshock movie, and... :lol: Just cram him in as many movies as possible, just for the humor of it.

[quote name='Frisky Piranha']Saw the trailer for it way, way, WAY back. Looked awful, lost interest in it all together.[/QUOTE]

For a Halo movie? If so, this would have basically no connection with that. There wouldn't be any work done on it yet.

[quote name='Frisky Piranha']Saw the trailer for it way, way, WAY back. Looked awful, lost interest in it all together.[/QUOTE]

those were short films. The movie if it ever does release has a budget of over $100 million

[quote name='Wolfpup']It's kind of hilarious. I want him in a Halo movie, and a Bioshock movie, and... :lol: Just cram him in as many movies as possible, just for the humor of it.[/QUOTE]

A Bioshock prequel would be absolutely fantastic.

[quote name='Wolfpup']It's kind of hilarious. I want him in a Halo movie, and a Bioshock movie, and... :lol: Just cram him in as many movies as possible, just for the humor of it.[/QUOTE]

A Bioshock prequel would be absolutely fantastic -- so much material hinted at in the first game that it's ripe for creative interpretation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back