Halo ODST @ BB - $59.99 w/RZ GGC $10 GC coupon and $20 TRU PM gift card - YMMV

JPCERTIFIED

CAGiversary!
Feedback
59 (100%)
Went to Best Buy with a Toyrus ad and the $10 coupon from Best Buys gamer club. They match toyrus $20 gift card plus took the coupon to get another $10. Walk out with the game and $30 in gift cards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very YMMV...though the $20 gift card to TRU is easy to pricematch via BB language...the additional $10 gift card is VERY YMMV. Most clerks/managers will not accept an addition to in regards to pricematching.

[quote name='JPCERTIFIED']Walk out with the game and $30 in gift cards.[/QUOTE]

You mean you walked out with ODST for $30.

[quote name='TortillaSoup']You mean you walked out with ODST for $30.[/QUOTE]

By my math he paid $50 for ODST and then got a $20 gift card.

60(game)-10(coupon)=50+20(gift card)

[quote name='Saix_XIII']By my math he paid $50 for ODST and then got a $20 gift card.

60(game)-10(coupon)=50+20(gift card)[/QUOTE]

Yeah same. BB usually puts the value of the gift card into the price. All this guy is saying is that he stacked the RW coupon with the TRU deal, I guess.

Anyone thinking about trying this at the Princeton, NJ store can forget about it. I can tell you without even trying it that they will never allow this.

Hell even were I am at just PMing the gift card is impossible. They say they cannot PM gift cards and even if I show them the policy they still say no.

Worked for me. Walked out with ODST, $30 in gift cards for $57.61 (-preorder +tax). The best part is that it will all also count towards RZ (with silver member bonus) points and is another couple of bucks in points there too!

just called my store and spoke with the Mgr. asked about doing this they said we don't price match gift cards. I then quoted the Bb company policy (on there website) She then said they may be there policy but my store refuses to do it. Then gave me corporate number and was told call them and maybe they will do it for me. Called them and a 25-30 minute wait. so left number for next operater to call me. worst case screw Bb and i'll go to Toys R' us.

[quote name='Trondannyboy']just called my store and spoke with the Mgr. asked about doing this they said we don't price match gift cards. I then quoted the Bb company policy (on there website) She then said they may be there policy but my store refuses to do it. Then gave me corporate number and was told call them and maybe they will do it for me. Called them and a 25-30 minute wait. so left number for next operater to call me. worst case screw Bb and i'll go to Toys R' us.[/QUOTE]

I had to do this before and BB corporate sent me a $20 dollar gift card in the mail...took awhile but they did send it.

update: # they gave me was to corporate sales. he said yeah the policy is you get option in this case of getting $20 taken off price of game or the $20 gift card. but since he is in sales he couldn't do anything, so transfered me. told me I could also try walking there in person or calling store Mgr. I explained that was problem store Mgr. didn't care. this is for Evansville, Ind. store fyi

Was successful at PM'ing and getting the extra gift card for $41.74, since I used a $20 RZ certificate. Thanks for the reminder OP, I was already leaving the house without printing the RZ coupon.

lucky.. man.. lucky man.. haha.. I could never pull that off at my closest Best Buy, who used to match the gift card offers at TRU if you pointed them to the actual policy on their own website, but the last time I tried to do it the manager was saying they no longer do that, they don't consider TRU to be a competitor, but she would meet me half way by giving me 10 dollars off Resident Evil 5. I even came armed with my old receipts @ that specific store where they price matched the gc offers and she wouldn't budge, even showing her their very own policy while at the store, on their very own computers! I asked to speak to the corporate office who I explained the situation to, the CSR I spoke to didn't know about the matching gift cards policy, looked it up on their own website and gave me a $20 credit on my credit card. I politely told the manager who was there what happened and she didn't even look at me because she was pissed I guess. She was doing a return at the customer service desk.

everyone should post what location they either can or cannot get the PM either in form a matching gift-card or just the money taken off the game. In my case it is in the HARTSDALE, NY (westchester county) location where I cannot get them to obey their own corporate policy, but was able to get someone on the phone who issued an apology and a $20 credit on my card while I was waiting in the store, less than 10 ft. from the manager giving me grief.

partial success at my best buy... i only got the $20 TRU pricematch... they wouldn't let me use the coupon and match the TRU offer.

-- Garrett

I'm surprised people here are even getting the $10 GC in the Best Buy ad. The Best Buy here in Wilmington, NC has a notice in the video games department declaring the $10 GC promotion was a misprint, and that the only deal offered with ODST is $10 off a 12-month XBL card.

Freakin' lame. I mean, I bought my copy at GameStop because I wanted the collector's edition, but I sent my roommate, who was only getting the regular edition, to Best Buy for the $10 GC and RZ points...

So what are the chances of getting both deals? If I get the PM on the TRU deal, I will pick it up. If I can get the extra $10, it would sweeten the cake.

[quote name='averageguy']No you wont be able to o that they will take the cost of the gift card off of the game[/QUOTE]

so anytime TRU offers a game with a GC worth X amount, they charge you $60-X? so you don't even get a GC?

[quote name='Snake Eater']so just bring the BB policy sheet to TRU?[/QUOTE]

Bring it to best buy if you are trying to get a price match at best buy. Cause chances are they will say you will not be able to get the 20 dollar gift card from toy's R us.

[quote name='Snake Eater']so anytime TRU offers a game with a GC worth X amount, they charge you $60-X? so you don't even get a GC?[/QUOTE]

They take the value of the gift card from the cost of the game, so a $60 game with a $20 gift card will cost you $60: $40 for the game, and $20 for the gift card.

One thing to note with these TRU deals, is that TRU gift cards are non-refundable, so if you decided/had to return the "package" you would only get the value of the discounted game returned to you (in this case $40,) not the gift card value (which you would still be able to use, but not get the cash back for.) That is one reason I prefer to PM TRU deals at BB, when I can; it gives me more flexibility, since I can return the entire package.

[quote name='Snake Eater']why wouldn't TRU honor it's own ads and give the $20 GC?[/QUOTE]

They will of course I am just saying for the people that are having trouble getting the price match at Best Buy.

[quote name='DaFulla']They take the value of the gift card from the cost of the game, so a $60 game with a $20 gift card will cost you $60: $40 for the game, and $20 for the gift card.

One thing to note with these TRU deals, is that TRU gift cards are non-refundable, so if you decided/had to return the "package" you would only get the value of the discounted game returned to you (in this case $40,) not the gift card value (which you would still be able to use, but not get the cash back for.) That is one reason I prefer to PM TRU deals at BB, when I can; it gives me more flexibility, since I can return the entire package.[/QUOTE]

Now I'm getting confused, if BB matches the TRU deal, will I be able to return ODST and use the $20 GC on whatever?

[quote name='Snake Eater']If I buy ODST from TRU and get the GC, can I use the GC on something (XBL gold membership) and then return ODST?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Snake Eater']Now I'm getting confused, if BB matches the TRU deal, will I be able to return ODST and use the $20 GC on whatever?[/QUOTE]

Are you that desperate about a $20 GC that you are willing to commit fraud?

[quote name='dinobot']Are you that desperate about a $20 GC that you are willing to commit fraud?[/QUOTE]

how is it fraud? more like a loophole

and I was just curious about this whole matter as I really don't want to pay $50 for XBL gold and do not want have to pay for ODST in order to save money on the membership

might have to go by there this weekend. but if this doesnt work, is it possible to go pre-order say 3 games and walk out with ODST for only $30?

from BBY's website:

How do you handle a price match if the Best Buy price includes a promotional offer such as a free gift card or rebate?
The Best Buy net purchase price is calculated by deducting the value of all instant and mail-in discounts such as rebates, free offers and promotional gift cards. Existing rebates and free offers associated with a product purchased at Best Buy will not apply if a price match is executed.

WAIT!! so if you want them to PM the TRU deal, they have to...this wouldn't be YMMV if you weren't trying to stack with their coupon? right?? I am so furious after what the lady told me earlier, I'm gonna go back there and shove this in her face!! :bomb:

edit: maybe I misread all that and read it how i wanted to interpret it...

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='token2k6']from BBY's website:

How do you handle a price match if the Best Buy price includes a promotional offer such as a free gift card or rebate?
The Best Buy net purchase price is calculated by deducting the value of all instant and mail-in discounts such as rebates, free offers and promotional gift cards. Existing rebates and free offers associated with a product purchased at Best Buy will not apply if a price match is executed.

WAIT!! so if you want them to PM the TRU deal, they have to...this wouldn't be YMMV if you weren't trying to stack with their coupon? right?? I am so furious after what the lady told me earlier, I'm gonna go back there and shove this in her face!! :bomb:

edit: maybe I misread all that and read it how i wanted to interpret it...[/QUOTE]

so BB would price match the TRU, meaning ODST would $40, then if you buy the 1 year gold membership it would be $40 ($10 off deal this week), then you could return ODST and get $40 back.

would this work?

[quote name='Snake Eater']so BB would price match the TRU, meaning ODST would $40, then if you buy the 1 year gold membership it would be $40 ($10 off deal this week), then you could return ODST and get $40 back.

would this work?[/QUOTE]

Amazon has 12 months for $40, free shipping , no tax depending on where you live.

err maybe this?? (sorry guys, running after my 3 yr old, his mother had to go out of town)

How do you handle a price match if an instant gift card is included with a purchase?
The value of an instant gift card with purchase will be considered when calculating a price match. If the combined value of a competitor's product and instant gift card is lower than the combined value of Best Buy's product price and instant gift card, Best Buy will match either the price or the instant gift card value, depending on the offer.

This is all getting so trivial...now I don't even know how to interpret that...its like its saying only if BOTH places have Instant gift cards (but hey, w/ a coupon, there is a GC involved...hmmm, gonna print this out and try anyway)

[quote name='polishpride212']Amazon has 12 months for $40, free shipping , no tax depending on where you live.[/QUOTE]

I can't do any online purchases

I have been successful in price matching the Batman TRU deal, and the ODST TRU deal at BB by bringing in the BB PM policy. On the Batman deal, the BB refused to PM, even after I showed them their policy. So, I called BB corporate, who was also confused about the policy. They took a day to get back to me, and in the end they confirmed that BB should have PM'd the $20 TRU GC, but not the "limited time" $30 GC. They called the store, I went back, got the game and $20 GC, and corporate sent me a $30 GC for my "trouble." With ODST yesterday, I showed them the TRU ad, and the transaction went as smooth as silk. Just call them on their policy, but be polite; they are probably not aware of the correct interpretation. Call corporate, if you need to while at the store.

[quote name='JPCERTIFIED']Went to Best Buy with a Toyrus ad and the $10 coupon from Best Buys gamer club. They match toyrus $20 gift card plus took the coupon to get another $10. Walk out with the game and $30 in gift cards.[/QUOTE]

I would love to see the receipt of this... it's one thing to match a GC deal (which isn't covered in their policy) but to add in their own promotion on top of that... it is too hard to believe.

Just talked to 'Harriet' at BB corporate, who talked to a supervisor about PMing gift card deals. and the official word was that it's up to that individual store and the MOD. She was really nice and apologetic and recommended trying another store...

bread's done
Back