Halo ODST on hard drive?

sodipop

CAGiversary!
I know halo 3 was not recommended to be put on your hard drive so is it the same for ODST? I would really like to eliminate the loud noise from the box while playing such an epic game

Everybody in the install thread says that it's fine to do it for both disks, and I think it's loading up quickly enough as well, so go for it. The sound bugs me too, so it's definitely worth it for ODST where there are a lot of quiet moments.

Glad I'm not the only one bothered by the noise. I've never heard my 360 as loud as it is while playing this game.

I was assuming that due to the game being basically Halo 3 that the HDD install would be a bad thing, but I guess I'll give it a try now.

I guess no one looked at the back of the box. It says right on the back "optimized for hard drive." Pretty clear answer if you ask me :D Also, I tried installing the multiplayer disc, but my system just reads it as Halo 3 and won't let me install. It seemed pretty weird. I think maybe I'll try again later and see if it was just a fluke.

Actually, according to Bungie themselves, we really should go ahead and install this bad boy:

Q. I’ve got room on my hard drive, should I install this sucker?

A. Yup. We optimized ODST’s campaign and Firefight for installation. Just like all NXE installations, you’ll need to keep your copy in the drive to play.

[quote name='YodaEXE']I guess no one looked at the back of the box. It says right on the back "optimized for hard drive." Pretty clear answer if you ask me :D [/QUOTE]

My launch copy of Halo 3 says the exact same thing on the back of the box, "optimized for hard drive". I think it's just refering to using it as a cache.

[quote name='YodaEXE']I guess no one looked at the back of the box. It says right on the back "optimized for hard drive." Pretty clear answer if you ask me :D [/QUOTE]

My launch copy of Halo 3 says the exact same thing on the back of the box, "optimized for hard drive". I think it's just refering to using it as a cache.

well this is good news. i wasnt sure if it would be a dumb question and if i would just get a "of course not" response. glad to hear i can enjoy my game now. only bad thing is i still have a 20gb hard drive and dont have room for either disk =/ so ill have to shuffle some games off.

Just played a bit after installing it to the HD and it's very much worth it if you have the space. 360 doesn't sound like a jet engine anymore and the loading screens (Map screens with the little blue line?) go by much faster.

Maybe it's just me but I didn't notice the sound besides b/w levels.

Also I'm sort of paranoid about installing games onto the HD. I'd rather have my system replaced due to a broken DVD drive and not have a fried HD and lose all my progress. Maybe I'm just weird...

[quote name='IceBlueShoes']Also I'm sort of paranoid about installing games onto the HD. I'd rather have my system replaced due to a broken DVD drive and not have a fried HD and lose all my progress. Maybe I'm just weird...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you are :roll:

[quote name='Aku']Actually, according to Bungie themselves, we really should go ahead and install this bad boy:

Q. I’ve got room on my hard drive, should I install this sucker?

A. Yup. We optimized ODST’s campaign and Firefight for installation. Just like all NXE installations, you’ll need to keep your copy in the drive to play.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, that's true for the ODST campaign disc. However, the multiplayer disc (Halo 3 Mythic) should not be installed:

Q. So, if I’ve got room on my hard drive, I should install this sucker for faster loading?

A. Nope. Halo 3: Mythic is for all intents and purposes, Halo 3. When we built Halo 3, NXE installations were the stuff of the future. As a result, installing Halo 3: Mythic will result in slower load times for you and all your friends (and people you care about will be disappointed in you).

i installed it. then i played co-op with my friends and it lagged like a bitch.. must be the overload of players?

never lagged in the halo 3 campaign with the same guys

I installed both of the discs yesterday, I don't care if it makes the game run faster it's just annoying playing the game with the airplane of an xbox I have next to me on my desk. It does a good job of ruining the atmosphere.

[quote name='timesplitt']i installed it. then i played co-op with my friends and it lagged like a bitch.. must be the overload of players?

never lagged in the halo 3 campaign with the same guys[/QUOTE]

My experience with co-op a few days ago with my buddy was lagtastical to. At the time, I did not have ODST installed to the HDD and I bet he didn't either (probably doesn't even know how).

bread's done
Back