Halo2 Live communication problems

Milkyman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I was wondering if anyone could help me with this.
Two of my friends, (jokerchaos and wultanate) were playing on live together for the first time recently and we found that wultanate couldnt join any parties i created, and i couldnt join any parties that he created, we could both join parties created by joker, but then we couldnt hear each other talk while joker could hear both of us. the second time we played wultanate and I both put our xboxes in the DMZ of our broadband routers and could join each others games, but still could not hear each other no matter who hosted the party.

I've played other live games with these guys and had no problems, this might be a new thing so i'll have to try out pandora tommorow again and see how that goes but has anyone had any similar issue?

It has to do with the unique way in which Halo 2 games are networked. Halo 2 uses a networking method unlike any other Live game, which unfortunately results in this happening to a few people. The only workaround basically is to switch the party leader and have the two conflicting accounts leave the room and let the other person invite them in.

Here's a better explanation, taken straight from Bungie.net.

Sometimes when I try to accept a party invite, I get a blue screen with an error message saying something about, 'Sorry, we're having network troubles." What are these troubles, exactly?

One of the reasons players will sometimes encounter the infamous "We're experiencing network problems" message when trying to accept a party invitation is NAT type incompatibility. This unfortunately is one of the ways we ensure good, solid connections and is unavoidable. Below is a somewhat dry explanation of what a NAT type is, but before you lull yourself to sleep � here's a possible solution � it works for us quite often.
If an invitation fails, you can try to get a NAT compatible host or player to start a brand new party then have everyone join him instead. When everyone rejoins this new party they simply have to keep their fingers crossed that a new host can invite the failed invitee successfully. It's annoying, but it's usually for someone who's worth the extra effort.

How do you know who this host will be? In many cases, simply having an excellent connection � a T3 line for example, will often ensure hosting duties and compatibility, but there's no surefire way to know. One other solution, which is less drastic, is to start a custom game and then immediately quit and start again � Halo 2 will always try to find a best-case host, and that may fix the invitation failure by auto selecting a new, better host. We used this method last week because Shishka connects to the internet through a damp newspaper, apparently.

Again, we wish there was a way around this, but it happens at the router level and it happens on other systems and games. The reason we don't identify the host is obvious to anyone who's suffered through other forms of router and modem-related cheating.

NAT is an acronym for "Network Address Translation" and is also known as Network masquerading or IP-masquerading. This is a technique in which the IP addresses of network packets are rewritten as the packets pass through a router or firewall. This technique is used to enable multiple hosts on a network to access the internet using only one IP address. Now, even though routers aren't really supposed to do this, sometimes they do anyway, since it's a very convenient little trick. The problem is that this incompatibility in NAT types causes communication problems between hosts, and that's where the "Network Problems" message is encountered.

We should note that other factors can contribute to this problem, but NAT type is the main culprit.

Thanks Led, saved me a C&P job!

Yeah, it's a bitch. I think it's pretty rotten when they do things like that.. let's file a lawsuit! False advertising!

bread's done
Back