Happy 20th, Appetite For Destruction!

RyanTheGNR

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Today, July 21st marks the 20th anniversary of Guns N' Roses debut studio album, Appetite For Destruction.I made a blog back on GS about the topic, and im willing to share it with you.Its long, though, hehe.There are probably more informative sites about the topic.

Happy 20th, Appetite!

Today is July, 21st 2007, 12:01 AM EST.Today marks an important day in Rock History.Maybe not as important as the 30th anniversary of Sgt.Pepper's, but important nevertheless.Today 20 years ago, Guns N' Roses released their Debut studio album, "Appetite For Destruction".

This is my retrospective on Appetite For Destruction.It was released 20 years ago today, on July 21st 1987 and went on to be certified 15 times platinum and is the 2nd biggest debut album in the U.S.This album also happens to be my favorite rock album.

If I may, I'll quote Wikipedia for this statement about the cover art.

"The album's original cover, based on the Robert Williams painting "Appetite for Destruction", depicted a robot rapist about to be punished by a metal avenger. After MTV refused to play any videos by the band, they compromised and put the controversial cover art inside, replacing it with a cover depicting a cross and skulls of the five band members, each skull representing one member of the band"
~ Wikipedia

This image of the cover art is something Axl Rose had taken off from a tattoo on his left arm, which he still wears today.

gunsnrosesappetitefordemk9.jpg

Top skull – Izzy Stradlin
Left skull – Steven Adler
Center skull – Axl Rose
Right skull – Duff McKagan
Bottom skull – Slash

Did You Know?

So what you see today as the cover art was the second one for the album.The original one with the 'painting' often goes for a TON of money on eBay.Also, after the album began to go platinum, Axl Rose literally demanded that all RIAA plaques for the album be with the original, banned cover art.

While Appetite For Destruction would soon be a very critically acclaimed and popular hard rock album, it sold very poorly, when it was released.One year after it was released, it had only sold 500,000 copies.

MTV at first refused to air any videos of the band because of the controversial cover art.Even when they changed it, it was still a no-go.It wasn't until David Geffen literally begged MTV to show a music video, that they finally gave in.MTV decided to air the video for "Welcome To The Jungle" late at night, when they thought hardly anyone would still be up.After it aired,It soon became a highly requested music video.

That Slash initially hated the guitar intro to Sweet Child O' Mine? The initial guitar riffs were just meant as a joke, and he initially fooled around with it as a "circus theme".As soon as Axl heard Slash playing, he rushed to grab a piece of paper and wrote the lyrics to the song.

Track List

1- "Welcome to the Jungle"
2- "It's So Easy"
3- "Nightrain"
4- "Out Ta Get Me"
5- "Mr. Brownstone"
6- "Paradise City"
7- "My Michelle"
8- "Think About You"
9- "Sweet Child o' Mine"
10-"You're Crazy"
11-"Anything Goes"
12-"Rocket Queen"

Produced by Mike Clink, and distributed by Geffen Records

The Band

The peeps in 1987

From left to right: Steven Adler, Slash, Axl Rose, Izzy Stradlin and Duff Mckagan

1162199700ss2.jpg

From left to right: Steven Adler, Slash, Axl Rose, Izzy Stradlin and Duff Mckagan

Band Members:

Axl Rose (lead vocals, piano), now well known alleged reclusive rock star.He is now the only current "original member" of the band now.

maquinadotempotj9.jpg

Slash (Lead Guitar), excellent, but extremely overrated guitarist

gunsnrosesmarque3lny0.jpg

Izzy Stradlin,(rhythm guitarist) who allegedly hates touring, close friend (even today) to Axl Rose

210pxizzy1tl0.jpg

Duff McKagan, (bassist) who was, one of the last people to see Kurt Cobain alive

duff17nf7.jpg

Steven Adler, early drummer who got fired..that's it.

adlerslq1.jpg

The Songs-How They Came To Be

1.Welcome To The Jungle

The Inspiration for the song came after Axl Rose and a friend had an encounter with a bum in New York.The bum tried to frighten the 2 by screaming "You know where you are? You're in the jungle baby, you're gonna die!". The incident made such an impact, Axl Rose turned it into a song.This song is usually the very song that opens every GNR concert, even nowadays.

2.It's So Easy

The inspiration for the song came after the band witnessed a car crash.After a local saw the expression on Slash's face, he told him "Don't worry, it happens all the time around here. Cars are crashing every night".This line was integrated into the second verse.

3.Nightrain

The song was created after the band would get drunk on a cheap wine with a high amount of Alcoholic Content, called " Night Train Express".The makers behind the company originally intended to sue the band for Copyright Infringement, but they stopped, after sales for the wine shot up 300%.

4.Out Ta Get Me

This song was based on Axl Rose's Experiences with the police as a youth.(He was arrested over 20 times)

5. Mr.Brownstone

Lets Just say this song was based off a really, really bad drug that begins with a H.Mr.Brownstone is a slang term for the drug.

6. Paradise City

The song is thought to be based on the corruption in L.A.Others believe, it could also be based on Indiana, where Axl Rose grew up.This song is usually used for the encore in a GNR concert.

7.My Michelle

The song was created when a friend of Axl Rose, Michelle Young asked for a song to be written for her.Axl Rose then made a song that was very "Dead Honest".She was glad the song was so truthful, and the fact that he didn't hold back while making it.Listen to the song, and you'll know what i mean.

8.Think About You

The song was written about Axl Rose's then girlfriend and future wife, Erin Everly.They eventually divorced.

9.Sweet Child O' Mine

Oh boy, who could forget this song.The power ballad that became their biggest hit, with that guitar riff that everyone recognizes.The song was written about Axl Rose's love and affection toward his then girlfriend Erin Everly.It has one of Slash's best known guitar solos.

10.You're Crazy

This is a song that appears both on this album and on GNR's "mini album" "Lies".It appears as an electric version here and as an acoustic song on "Lies".Axl Rose has expressed disdain for the acoustic version.

11.Anything Goes

This is a song written by Chris Weber.The song is about womanizing.

12.Rocket Queen

Boy, is there a story to this one.Too much that it might not be considered PG-13 appropriate.The song had its roots in a girl named, Barbi Von Grief.She wanted to make a band called "Rocket Queen".She kept Axl Rose's dreams alive.The song is a note to that person and it has moans..yes THOSE moans.Axl Rose recorded a sex act and recorded moans.It was alleged that it was from a stripper, but Steven Adler's girlfriend, Adrianna Smith Says otherwise.

What Will They Do To Celebrate?

Well, Duff, Slash, Izzy and Steve, along with Steve's band are going to all perform at the Rocklahoma Festival in Oklahoma on July 28th.They are allegedly going to going to perform all the songs off the album together.Steven believes without a doubt that Axl will NOT show up.Guess, what? I don't believe he will either.After all the bad blood they've had, I doubt anything will come of it.A full reunion is possible, however its more likely in the near future.Tickets for the Rocklahoma event are available at Ticketmaster.com

So, if the four are gonna be together for that, then what will Axl be doing?

Well, he still has Guns N' Roses under his belt.He's gonna be in Osaka, Japan to perform with his band on the very date July 21st..This will be the last date for the Chinese Democracy 2007 World Tour.It is currently unknown what he will be ranting about in the concert, or whether he will perform the album in it's entirety.Perhaps, something unexpected will happen, perhaps not.Perhaps, he'll give more info about Chinese Democracy, such as a definitive track list and a final album art cover.That would be enough for me.

Will Axl be with his former band mates on July 28th, or will he forever let the "album" stay in the shadows?

The drama Of Guns N' Roses' continues!

Anyway, I'm going to Listen to Appetite again, and Happy 20th!

I still listen to this album about once a month .

Good job on the write-up .
Although it wouldn't be complete without this ,

Guns-N-Roses-Appetite-For-Dest-3505.jpg

the original cover art .

bread's done
Back