Happy 4th of July, Let's Make A New National Anthem

bmulligan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
Should we change the national anthem? Is a song about war not representative of the American spirit? I don't know, and I don't really care. The Star Spangled Banner is just a bad song, period, and I long for a change. I don't have the range to sing it correctly, and no one else ever sings it anyway. What do you think and why? Should we change it or leave well enough alone?

[quote name='bmulligan']Is a song about war not representative of the American spirit? [/QUOTE]

I don't know where you've been for the past 200 years, but we've had 10 major wars in that time frame, an average of 1 war every 20 years, so I'd say a song about war pretty much sums it up.

I don't particularly like what that says about us, but I'd rather be honest than look good.

~HotShotX

[quote name='HotShotX']I don't know where you've been for the past 200 years, but we've had 10 major wars in that time frame, an average of 1 war every 20 years, so I'd say a song about war pretty much sums it up.

I don't particularly like what that says about us, but I'd rather be honest than look good.

~HotShotX[/QUOTE]

And in the past 40 years we've had 4 wars! I think this song really represents America today. We love war, and (though it isn't part of the song) invading countries for no good reason.

To be fair, the Star Spangled Banner isn't about war, per se, it's the fact that our inspiration still exists despite war. Regardless, I've never liked the song and it's impossible to sing - so no one does, especially at sporting events. They usually just mumble through it and it's embarrassing. I'd like a return to the song "America" which was the anthem before the Star Bangled one. The fact that it's sung to "God save the Queen" Is still a bigger fuck you to England as well.

"The Star-Spangled Banner" is a fantastic anthem and will never be replaced. I just wish more than a minute fraction of Americans knew the second and third verses...heck, most people don't even know they exist. It'd be great to sing those once and a while.

bread's done
Back