Happy Maddenoliday 2006!

Last year ~7 Million Sold / ~ 50 Million installed base = 14% of Users (I'm using marketing numbers and subtracting (TY Lifetime - LY lifetime) and multiplying by 2/3 (approx ratio of PS2 to other platform installed); and this doesn't take into account used copies.

All I know is that yesterday, Circuit City had a line of nearly 30 or so people waiting at the door to get Madden, and that number stayed steady for the whole 30 minutes I was at the door.

I went back at 6 pm to return something before class, and the line at customer service was still 10 or so people long, lots of people actually buying two copies.

EB / GS was slammed as well... last time they were so busy was for NCAA 07, and before that was GTA / Halo.

Some people may not like Madden, some may think it sucks, but there are very VERY few games that 30 + people are lining up to get as soon as the store opens on a yearly basis. BigDirty is absolutely right, the majority of people in that line were 30 - 40 year old males who were talking about Madden, the football season, and other sports games in general... I don't think any of them knew or cared what a Katamari or an Okami is. It's that crowd that is by and large the dominate force in the market.

I think the only games in the US that are as high profile as Madden would be Halo and maybe GTA, though the fad has died down the last couple of years. Maybe Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid, too.

bread's done
Back