Hard drive help please

ClydeShebang

CAGiversary!
Hey everyone I've had my hard drive for nearly 2 years and it's got all my movies and tv shows converted onto there (days and days of conversion) and recently it's started to make weird clicking noises and a quick search on google has me worried big time. I'm in the process of transferring it back onto the laptop but at nearly 300 gb's worth of stuff it's defeated the purpose of having an external hard drive.

I've switched the usb cable back to the small one that came with the hard drive and it's not made the clicking sound again so far, so wondering if that could be it?

I'm waiting on a start date for my new job and until I eventually get paid from that, purchasing a new hard drive isn't a possible solution yet. 

start backing up your shit to an external drive asap!.  I would do it a few movies at a time.... you don't want to copy all at once and then your drive dies during the transfer.

Sorry for not clarifying, my hard drive is an external one. Thats the one with the issue, it's been a few hours now though and after using the USB cable it came with the clicking isn't there.

What is this other cable you've mentioned that isn't the one that "fixed" the issue?

You've talked about two cables, one of which causes an issue and one of which doesn't.  Not sure what the differences are.

Last edited by a moderator:
The cable that makes the sound when used is the one I've been using for a long time, a Nokia USB cable.

The one that I used today was the cable that came with the hard drive. I use the hard drive a lot, mostly connected to my tv to watch my stuff from.

My best advice is going to sound like a Captain Hindsight statement, but always have a backup. Never stash things just on one external hard drive, I like most people have learned this the hard way sometime ago. If there's not enough space on your PC's internal drive then I'd have a 2nd external drive to use as a backup (or the cheaper option if you are even a novice with PC installation buy/install a second internal hard drive).

That said an external hard drive clicking or stuttering means essentially 1 of 2 things in my experience. 1) The hard drive is failing. or 2) The hard drive is not getting the power it needs to properly spin up (this could be caused by a faulty cable).

It may be number 2 & changing the cable means it may never happen again I suppose. But either way I'd at least backup the essentials you'd like to keep as soon as humanly possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've backed up my essentials on there now, at least until I have enough money to buy another one. Though changing the cable has made it stop clicking, so hoping it was just the power issue.

bread's done
Back