Hard Drive Help!

DaftPunkFan37

CAGiversary!
I really have no idea where to ask about this, so I figure mind as well try the smart CAG users

I have a 200GB Maxtor One Touch External Hard Drive. One of the plugs was unplugged (I believe the one going to the computer, I am not sure). I tried to plug it back in, and the thing turned on. But it made a really loud buzzing noise, and for the past 30mins its been making a lower noise, and is not connectign to my comptuer. I have no warrenty, and I had quite a bit of stuff on there..

Any suggestions to what's wrong?

Well there are only 2 cables going into the external HD, one is a USB (or possibly firewire), the other is power cable. What i would do is completely turn off the external HD, let it cool down, and then turn it back on with both cables plugged in. If it's still making strange noise and the computer is not seeing the hard drive, then try to orient the hard drive differently (like having it stand up sideway, upside down, etc) to see if the noise changes or if the computer is seeing the hard drive in certain orientation. The last thing you can do is to completely take the hard drive out of the external casing and plug it into your computer (straight to the motherboard) to see if it is being recognized by the computer. But this latter step might be overwhelming to you based on your knowledge. Try the first suggestion first with the orientation.

i unplugged it for about 2 hours, and it felt cool. I replugged it in and got the same result.

I'm going to shut it off for tonight, and then turn it on tomorrow and see if it's better..

bread's done
Back