"hard" games that aren't hard

venturin

CAGiversary!
Once in a while it seems that reviewers write that certain games are hard, even really hard, but I find the game's difficulty moderate at best, and no real challenge at all.

I'm not bragging, I don't consider myself to be above average in gaming skills. I'm below average in FPS deathmatching for example. I'm just wondering why this is so for some games.

Here's my example, review quotes for Etrian Odyssey for the Nintendo DS;

"If you have a taste for brutal difficulty... " Nintendo World Report

"Those who can look beyond the basic presentation and steep difficulty curve will find Etrian Odyssey to be one of the lengthiest and most immersive role playing experiences on the DS to date." Cheat Code Central

"Be forewarned. Etrian Odyssey is tough." G4 TV

"Its punishing difficulty and very deliberate pacing may turn off younger gamers who grew up on flashier roleplayers." 1UP

I had no problem at all with this game. I grinded a bit, as much as I felt was needed, and methodically mapped the levels, fought the bad guys, and had fun every minute right to the final boss fight.

I almost didn't buy this game because of the warnings of sheer difficulty. Now I am wondering why everyone but me seems to think Etrian Odyssey was so difficult?

Who else has played games that you felt wasn't nearly as difficult as everyone seemed to think?

The only thing that comes immedately to mind is a friend who bought Chaos Legion on the PS2 when it came out (I know, not very old) and whined about how hard it was while we were staying at another friend's house. The day, I got up, and the other friend was playing.

Him: "...you know, this isn't that hard."
Me: "I know. She just sucks."

:lol:

All those FPS Hits for the Xbox 360 like Gears of War 3 on Insane
Halo On Legendary
You know all those kind of games are ez as pie though they just sound hard..

Last edited by a moderator:
The first Mega Man Zero was described as a return to the super challenging MM games of the NES days, but I didn't think it was that tough, even without using a Cyber Elf. Love those games though. I also thought Call of Duty 2 on Veteran would be harder, but I completed it without that much experience in the FPS genre.

EO is a turn based RPG though. They can only get so hard when you always have the out of grinding. As far as the genre goes, it is very hard. My first time I was killed in the very first battle in the game. Nocturne is another one that is hard as far as RPGs though. Lots of planning and/or grinding are involved, the former is a skill.

Etrian Odyssey is hard as shit if you don't know what to expect from it. But if you have a FAQ/strategy guide in front of you than it becomes a lot easier. You'll know what skills to learn, you'll have completed maps to look at, you'll know how much hp the bosses have and what they're weak against.

I don't think there are any games that are claimed to be hard that I find not to be hard. I mean, I don't have too much trouble with SMT games these days, but I definitely know that they're challenging. Having a lot of experience playing the series helps reduce the challenge for me.

[quote name='yukine']Mega Man 9, I have read a lot of people saying that it is a very hard game when I didn't find it difficult at all.[/QUOTE]

I agree, both Mega Man 9 & 10 aren't that difficult. As old-school games are concerned they were cake. But I thought they were a good challenge.

I'll also agree on Mega Man 9, it's rather unforgiving (mostly with pitfall deaths) but I didn't think it was as hard as it was hyped up to be. I haven't played much of 10 yet.

I was also surprised that a few people mentioned Contra as being one of the hardest games they remembered playing of yesteryear.

[quote name='FOnewearl']I was also surprised that a few people mentioned Contra as being one of the hardest games they remembered playing of yesteryear.[/QUOTE]

I realized this a few months back. A friend and myself beat the Famicom version with little effort.

After this revelation I popped in the original Ninja Gaiden. Yep, that one's still hard.

Battletoads for the NES...

OK, I lied, that game is the toughest game ever! I would guarantee no one ever beat that game on the NES without using some type of cheat/glitch/game genie. I've beat it but I played an emulated version and could save whenever I wanted. That unicycle part would be impossible otherwise, as well as most of the rest of the game.

[quote name='mission42']Battletoads for the NES...

OK, I lied, that game is the toughest game ever! I would guarantee no one ever beat that game on the NES without using some type of cheat/glitch/game genie. I've beat it but I played an emulated version and could save whenever I wanted. That unicycle part would be impossible otherwise, as well as most of the rest of the game.[/QUOTE]

This will make you feel worthless

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idZ9C0Qtj2A&feature=player_embedded

It's pretty much a given that most critics will find Etrian Odyssey a hard game. Majority of critics are used to playing mainstream games since it draw more page views. If your jumping from a mainstream JRRG to a niche game, your going to have a tough time. It like playing Pokemon, Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts compare to Etrian Odyssey, Fire Emblem or Shin Megami Tensai games; it's a huge difficulty gap. Most of these main stream games in general are either easy to beginning with or easy to start, but difficult to master. The developer main goal is to draw sales and hope you get hook to their series. By adding harder difficulty without a easy mode will detract sales.

Speaking on the topic of difficulty, hard is such a subjective term. You get a lot of different responses. Some people will find some of "hard games" very easy since they're used to that particular game or genre. They understand the general game game play concepts or mechanics for that game and use that knowledge to their advantage.

I thought the original release of Devil May Cry 3 (not the special edition) was actually pretty easy, even after reading all the reports that the default difficulty was hard for a "normal" setting.

Personally, I have recently found myself increasing the difficulty to "Hard" in most games just so I can concentrate. When I keep them on normal difficulty, I find myself not really caring and I tend to mindlessly play these games.

Maybe it's all of the quarters I spent at the arcade in my younger years. Now those games were made to eat your quarters (I'm looking at you, Hydro Thunder. You just couldn't give out that third free game in a row, could you?)

[quote name='Cloyd']This will make you feel worthless [/QUOTE]

Watching that shit gave me flashbacks and seizures. I forgot all about that damn "surprise" section where they don't tell you what's coming. fucking crazy game.

I remember people saying Persona was hard. It wasn't. I got through all of the dungeons rather quickly, and I only needed a walkthrough at the part with the red lights before Kandori. If the dungeons hadn't been so long, the game would have taken less than 10 hours.

I've also seen people saying Mimana: Iyar Chronicle was challenging. All I did was press X. Every battle. Including the final boss. Never died. Never.

I've also seen people complaining about the difficulty of Final Fantasy X. It wasn't hard at all.

[quote name='blaine878']I remember people saying Persona was hard. It wasn't. I got through all of the dungeons rather quickly, and I only needed a walkthrough at the part with the red lights before Kandori. If the dungeons hadn't been so long, the game would have taken less than 10 hours.[/QUOTE]

I just finished the Snow Queen Quest PSP version a month ago and I have to agree and disagree. If you're a gamer who attributes massive amounts of grinding to difficulty then yes, this game would be considered hard. The grinding you have to do in the Snow Queen quest is insane.

However I think "tedious" would be a better word. I went through the entire game and only died twice, but only because I grinded like a mother-fucker. Get a couple high-level nuclear spells and you can cut through enemies like butter. But I wouldn't recommend doing this through the entire game since you need to evenly level up all your characters & persona.

The Snow Queen quest has a bigger jump in enemy difficulty, pretty much packing every enemy in the game within 4 massive dungeons. One floor will have level 40 enemies, the next level 50, and you would have to grind accordingly. Progressing too fast through a dungeon will spell death, while progressing too slowly will spell game over (some dungeons have time limits.)

I realize this hardly counts as an old school game but when Demon's Souls was first released I would read article after article about how the game was so difficult that game sites were flat out refusing to review it because they could not progress past even the first stage. So I took a chance and bought it and found it to be certainly difficult but FAR from the catastrophically impossible difficulty that reviewers were saying it had.

I heard from some people that Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater was hard, but I beat it pretty easily. Most of my deaths came from killing key characters that existed later in the franchise :rofl:

I'm gonna say Contra without the konami code. I decided to start playing it last week. Beat it on my second try with the code. Then 3 tries later without it. I just remember thinking this game was impossible when I was a kid.

Contra: Hard Corps

I swear, I've never read a review that said this game wasn't hard. I remember years ago being able to get any ending on one continue with Browny. Tbh, though, he alone probably broke the game.

[quote name='aniousjoe']Contra: Hard Corps

I swear, I've never read a review that said this game wasn't hard. I remember years ago being able to get any ending on one continue with Browny. Tbh, though, he alone probably broke the game.[/QUOTE]

That doesn't mean that the game isn't hard, it just means that you're good at it. Once upon a time I could beat Ghouls N' Ghosts in the arcade without continuing, that doesn't make the game easy, it just means that I misspent a year of my life getting really good at it.

Lot's of good responses in this thread.

I like how Demon's Souls was reviewed as being extremely challenging and now the low chorus of the internets say it wasn't THAT hard.
I just bought it and plan to see.

[quote name='abouttandoutt']All those FPS Hits for the Xbox 360 like Gears of War 3 on Insane
Halo On Legendary
You know all those kind of games are ez as pie though they just sound hard..[/QUOTE]
This. I've beat Halo 3 on Legendary like 5 times now.

[quote name='Macheezmo']I'm gonna say Contra without the konami code. I decided to start playing it last week. Beat it on my second try with the code. Then 3 tries later without it. I just remember thinking this game was impossible when I was a kid.[/QUOTE]

This.

I'm unsure on why Contra always ends up in those "Top 10 hardest games" list... it's really not that bad.

[quote name='usickenme']This thread should just be titled "See how awesome I am at games!"[/QUOTE]

I disagree. Did you read the original post? I made it clear I am a gamer with average skills. I think people are responding honestly, and telling us about the games they heard were hard but were'nt.

I thought my OP would disuade cynical comments like that, but ok.. Be cynical.

But did you hear? cynicism is bad for your heart? ;)http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-430657/Being-cynical-bad-heart.html

[quote name='venturin']Lot's of good responses in this thread.

I like how Demon's Souls was reviewed as being extremely challenging and now the low chorus of the internets say it wasn't THAT hard.
I just bought it and plan to see.[/QUOTE]

I agree with the Demon Souls thing.

I mean, don't get me wrong, if you tried to run through it or jumped in the middle of a group of enemies, you'll discover just how fast your squishy human flesh can be carved.

If you take your time, however, and not try to run through it like an adderral-and-caffeine-drink fueled thirteen year old playing Call of Duty, it really isn't that bad.

Emerald and Ruby Weapon from Final Fantasy VII

Both bosses seemed to get so much hype about their difficulty, but with a good party and good equips and materia combination, they were pretty simple.

[quote name='Halo05']That doesn't mean that the game isn't hard, it just means that you're good at it. Once upon a time I could beat Ghouls N' Ghosts in the arcade without continuing, that doesn't make the game easy, it just means that I misspent a year of my life getting really good at it.[/QUOTE]

If you played as the character Browny (not saying you haven't, but if you have), you'll notice very quickly how broken it is. Maybe the people who thought C:HC was hard chose difficult characters (i.e. any other ones), but with Browny, it was extremely easy.

He was the only character who could double jump, 2 of his weapons were homing or homing-like, and his hit-box was half the size of any other character because he was... well, half the size of any other character.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']How about Einhander? That thing was pretty hard, just one of those classic side scroller games that were tough. Very old school.[/QUOTE]

Eihander is a game I always enjoyed, but never bought- becuase I couldn't beat the demo. Why get the whole thing when I can't get past the part I got for free? :lol:

The original Castlevania. Back in the day I always thought the Grim Reaper battle at the end of level 5 was next-to-impossible (with my only hope of beating him being if I reached him in full health with triple axe) but nowadays it doesn't seem so bad to me. It's still easiest with triple axe but even double boomerang is doable. :p

[quote name='Googer']The original Castlevania. Back in the day I always thought the Grim Reaper battle at the end of level 5 was next-to-impossible (with my only hope of beating him being if I reached him in full health with triple axe) but nowadays it doesn't seem so bad to me. It's still easiest with triple axe but even double boomerang is doable. :p[/QUOTE]

This guy is a total tool... but he did beat Castlevania with a dance pad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4P_XJdxl-c

[quote name='Cloyd']This will make you feel worthless

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idZ9C0Qtj2A&feature=player_embedded[/QUOTE]

I can remember this stage pretty clearly and also remember that the only way I ever got past this level was to hit that warp in the last part that jumped you(if I recall correctly) to the level where you're on a surfboard.

Still never did beat it legitimately though. That game was ridiculous.

Some RPG's have been mentioned already but one I remember throwing the controller out of frustration for was Odin Sphere, for some reason. Especially on the end boss of the 2nd level. I did end up beating the game after persisting for a while though, so I don't think it was that hard, though I think the reason a lot of people said it was hard was because of the slowdown issues.

Agreed with Contra NES and Ghouls and Ghosts. I can pass both those games with little difficulty.

Any of you guys finish Shinobi on PS2? I thought it was pretty tough but I did beat it. The last boss is a bitch.

[quote name='Jimbo Slice']Any of you guys finish Shinobi on PS2? I thought it was pretty tough but I did beat it. The last boss is a bitch.[/QUOTE]

I beat Shinobi on normal then was masochistic enough to try playing it on hard. I got to the last guy on hard and gave up after trying to kill him for 2 hours IIRC, I actually had him down so low one time that if it was Street Fighter II blocking a projectile would have done him in. I tried to air dash at him and he disappeared and I was over the ledge and to my death lol.

I hated how tough it was to align all of the little peons things to work up for a damaging hit on the last boss and have him close enough to let that hit on him before your time was up for the power shot.

I've had Shinobi for years now but haven't played it. I think it might've been one of those $5 Circuit City games. Or a $10 TRU game later in 2004/05. Anyhow, it's always intimidated me, mostly because frustrating 3d is (IMO) more infuriating than frustrating 2d.

aniousjoe - I have played Contra Hard Corps but not too much. I know who Browny is but I think I stuck to the humans just because they seemed more "true" to a Contra game. Either way, I think I'm going to hook up my Genesis + its peripherals tomorrow to play Castlevania Bloodlines, I'll give Hard Corps another try with Browny and see how it is.

little on the off topic nonsense side...

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']How about Einhander? That thing was pretty hard, just one of those classic side scroller games that were tough. Very old school.[/QUOTE]

Don't know how hard I think of it anymore but then it falls into the category of games I've played to death Like the original rogue squadron, but still to some extent rather hard, playing on normal or easy bugs me at this point, on the other hand I've had the last boss eat like 8 continues on me, one of my favorite parts of the game I suppose is the ability to beat the 6th boss IN like 4 or 5 seconds with a few different weapons, seems to take a littlelonger on the japanese version for some reason.

got to the tower knight or so before giving up and looking for a bit of help with demon's souls online. Have yet to beat it but I like it.

emerald and ruby were rather hard when you had no clue what you were doing

found devil may cry 3 a bit annoying probably just getting used to it, Think i ahd played through dmc 1 on dante must die at that point too.
honorary mention all bloody fps can never really start playing em, played through mass effect 1 and 2 and dirge of cerberus thats about as close as I've come other than random multiplayer go golden eye.

Think I remember hearing somethnig about starfox 64 being hard on hard at least but wasn't that bad when I finally played it a few years ago.

[quote name='Halo05']aniousjoe - I have played Contra Hard Corps but not too much. I know who Browny is but I think I stuck to the humans just because they seemed more "true" to a Contra game. Either way, I think I'm going to hook up my Genesis + its peripherals tomorrow to play Castlevania Bloodlines, I'll give Hard Corps another try with Browny and see how it is.[/QUOTE]

Lmk how it goes.

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']This guy is a total tool... but he did beat Castlevania with a dance pad.
[/QUOTE]

This guy reminds me of Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory. Same voice. Same self-praising attitude. It's spot on really.

If you guys want hard... Super Kaizo World. :hot:

But as for the question, I think a lot of "hard" games are balanced enough that they aren't just impossible. I remember when Ninja Gaiden reboot came out and everyone was saying how hard it was. When I played it, yeah it was didn't difficult, but after you learned some of the effective moves (we all know NG players love to abuse Izuna Drop), then it wasn't that bad. In fact, the hardest part of the game for me was when I saved myself into a corner when facing Alma. I had half a life bar and no healing items. After a bunch of tries, I did get past that, though... thankfully.

Also, Nocturne, which has already been mentioned. There were a few dungeons that would have been VERY hard had I not planned accordingly and made a superawesome team (like having a healer that regenerates MP). If you go into that game just looking to just smash your way to victory... that's not going to work. Especially when you have enemies that are resistant or absorb attacks.

I find it amusing how games that people deem hard like simons quest, or silver surfer are games that I have beaten the shit out of. Then it comes to rpgs like...star ocean international...and I get my fucking ass kicked. fuck!

Ive heard people having trouble beating Dead Space on the hardest difficulty. I tried it and easily swept through it. In fact, I did not get hit once during the last boss battle!

[quote name='aniousjoe']Lmk how it goes.[/QUOTE]

It's easier with Browny but there are still times when I get killed thanks to a lack of memorization. It wouldn't necessarily be a super-strict, R-Type kind of memorization, but there were times where an enemy would swoop onto the screen and kill me before I could dodge. The double jump does make some stuff an absolute breeze.

Speaking of R-Type, back in the day, it was one of my few Gameboy games and I could beat it without too much difficulty despite the game having a reputation for being exceptionally brutal. Now I get stuck on level 4 every time. Maybe it was easier on Gameboy vs. arcade/Sega Master System.

bread's done
Back