"hard" games that aren't hard

A lot of people say Zelda II is impossible. I must have beaten that at least a dozen times.

Demon Souls was a Medium. I didn't find it hard at all, you just had to be patient.

Now Patapon is giving me trouble. I can't beat that fucking sand worm....so I quit.(for now...)

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']

Now Patapon is giving me trouble. I can't beat that fucking sand worm....so I quit.(for now...)[/QUOTE]

It's all about keeping the beat going, one of the most important aspects of Patapon.

Haven't really played most of the games mentioned, except for Battletoads and Contra (edit: the NES Contra, the first one, I think). I actually don't recall either one of those being that hard, though I must've been like...8 when I played them.

Everyone talked about how Resonance of Fate (in particular, the battles) was so hard. I never really had any problems in any of it. Well, unless you're talking about
the bonus dungeon
. That junk was ridiculous.

Cross Edge for PS3 on hard difficulty isn't exactly HARD, but it is more annoying than anything. The leveling curve is insane and you can go from 1 shotting enemies to getting slaughtered in 1 shot within 10 minutes.

i know its not really old school but a lot of people said God Hand was impossible

i kinda feel like its really hard, but then i met a ton of people who didn't have that much trouble with it..

I just surprised myself on Ninja Gaiden NES. I haven't played it in years and years and yet today I got to the fifth level without much trouble at all. I think Bloody Malth is the next boss. I'll try and knock him out tonight but overall, the earlier parts of Ninja Gaiden are pretty easy, especially if you keep moving.

I played Mega Man 9, and didn't find it very difficult. It was an entertaining game though.

[quote name='yukine']Mega Man 9, I have read a lot of people saying that it is a very hard game when I didn't find it difficult at all.[/QUOTE]

At 26, my gaming skills aren't what they used to be. I have ADD, plus a lot more interests to occupy my time. That, and I have exponentially more games to play than I did then.

I never found Battletoads to be hard, really. Challenging? Yes, somewhat. But I beat it multiple times as a kid. Same with Contra on the NES.

Mega Man 1-7: I never owned a single Mega Man game till I got on a retro kick well into the N64's lifespan, but I can beat all 7 games easily. I've beaten all 7 in one day without dying. The Mega Man X games are a lot tougher.

The original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the NES... now that was hard.

Here is a list of games I got my ass kicked by

1. Mega Man 9 - Played for 2 hours, didn't beat the first boss. Disappointed because Mega Man 2 was my fav game as a kid

2. Root Beer Tapper - Get deeper in that game, it becomes impossible

3. Moto GP 06 - Maybe I just suck, I couldnt do anything with this game. Everything is just too tight

4. Super Ghouls and Ghost - Got to level 3 multiple times, wow...

5. Valkyrie Profile 2 - Great game, easy, last boss is impossible. For me anyhow

6. The Lunar Games - Random Battles Kick My Ass

Games I have never played because all i hear is they are hard.
Ninja Gaiden-Xbox
Demon Souls-PS3

Ill think of some more, these are just the ones that stand out in my mind

Ninja Gaiden and Kid Icarus for the NES. NG is not hard. Every boss can be beaten in 1 or 2 hits with the slash weapon. KI is one of the easiest NES games. If you can't get past the underworld, stay in one spot when enemies appear. After a few cycles (usually 4) you can progress with no trouble.

Demons souls isn't that hard. It's those a holes that invade your game when you are at level 10 and they are at 2000! I mean wtf? Do you just sit there in the same area all fucking day and just wait for noobs to come? Get a life, dude! sheesh...

Ninja Gaiden NES was hard at first but easy to me. That shit is burned in my memory. I used to play this drunk as hell just to listen to the music. All you had to do was remember exactly everything that would happen. And in the NES days, that's all we did. Megaman, contra, etc..

[quote name='FunkyDoRight']6. The Lunar Games - Random Battles Kick My Ass[/QUOTE]

Lunar? Really? I thought that was one of the easiest JRPGs ever. Except for bosses, I rarely had to take it off of auto-battle and I never had to level grind.

I remember reading that the Super Star Wars games were hard, especially Super Empire Strikes Back. SSW and SRotJ were quite easy and SESB only give me some issues on some of the constant platforming. (mainly cause you had to blind jump in the Carbon Chamber)

I agree that the NES TMNT was hard, but the most common stage I heard complaints on was the underwater level where you defuse the bombs which IMO is pretty easy. The technodrome and the lead up to Shredder at the end are way worse.

Definitely agree with the Ghouls and Ghosts games. The only one I was ever good at was the SNES game.

Am I the only person who thinks Metroid is hard?
"Oh cool, I got an ice gun. Now what?"
"Whoa, I have missiles. Um, where do I go?"
"JUSTIN BAILEY turns me into a chick with a wave beam.... What do I do now?"

It would have been nice if there was a map like in Super Metroid. To this day, I can only find and defeat one boss in that game.

And I can't believe no one has mentioned "The Adventures of Bayou Billy". It's like TMNT2 with horrible hit detection and jumping. I've only beaten Level 1 once.

[quote name='Cage017']
Am I the only person who thinks Metroid is hard?
"Oh cool, I got an ice gun. Now what?"
"Whoa, I have missiles. Um, where do I go?"
"JUSTIN BAILEY turns me into a chick with a wave beam.... What do I do now?"

It would have been nice if there was a map like in Super Metroid. To this day, I can only find and defeat one boss in that game.
[/QUOTE]

No, the original Metroid is hard as balls. It was a great concept but it was a head of it's time. I tried playing it recently but the problem I encounter is that if you die, you restart in the beginning of whatever area you're in with THIRTY HEALTH no matter how many energy tanks you've picked up, forcing you to farm health from enemies. If you're in an especially hard section of Zebes, just farming health can be dangerous - it's infuriating.

Thanks, Johnny. I really thought I was the only one.

I'm going to add Resident Evil. As long as you aren't hellbent on killing every zombie and don't forget to use the knife (which actually can be helpful if used at the right angle; same with the shotgun), it's not as hard as people think. To be fair, I'm more familiar with the Gamecube remake than the PS1 version.

[quote name='Cage017']

And I can't believe no one has mentioned "The Adventures of Bayou Billy". It's like TMNT2 with horrible hit detection and jumping. I've only beaten Level 1 once.[/QUOTE]

It was mentioned in a thread specifically about hard games (which was awhile ago and I can't seem to find it via search). This is the thread about games that thought to be "hard" but are not really that hard. Granted, what one person thinks isn't hard another could think is impossible and vice versa.

Bayou Billy was definitely hard and nearly impossible to beat!

My example was Castlevania 2 - Simon's Quest. The toughest part was deciphering the strange puzzles. After that it was easy to get all of Dracula's body parts and defeat him.

The one game that constantly kicked my ass when I was younger was Killer Instinct for the SNES. If anyone has tried to beat the final boss Eyedol than you know what I'm talking about. One of the cheapest final bosses ever. I also found Donkey Kong Country to be pretty hard but could probably beat it today.

Games that are hyped as hard but aren't would definitely be the Gears of War games on Insane, they're just annoying at parts (final boss of the first game) but overall pretty easy. Halo 3 on Legendary still kicks my ass though and I still haven't beaten it. God of War 1 on God Mode was also not that hard until you fight Ares. After around 30 tries and getting fed up with his bull crap, I just gave up.

I have horrible memories of Bayou Billy considering it was the 3rd or 4th NES game I ever played. Bayou Billy kicked my ass at a very early age. Somehow I did manage to get to Level 6. If it wasn't so god damn hard it would've been a great game.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']
Bayou Billy was definitely hard and nearly impossible to beat!

My example was Castlevania 2 - Simon's Quest. The toughest part was deciphering the strange puzzles. After that it was easy to get all of Dracula's body parts and defeat him.[/QUOTE]

I think Bayou Billy was more shitty than hard. Not to say it isn't difficult but the challenge stems from bad gameplay and balancing issues.

CV2 is such a breeze with a FAQ. I kind of accidentally ruined it for myself a couple years ago after getting nowhere by myself.

[quote name='Halo05']I think Bayou Billy was more shitty than hard. Not to say it isn't difficult but the challenge stems from bad gameplay and balancing issues.
[/QUOTE]
I agree nearly everything in the game was broken.

Batman Returns for the SNES was hard

i never beat it
I think I got the last level where you fight Penguin, but died at the end cause I only had one life and very litle life at that point so once I was dead it was gameover

[quote name='E-Z-B']A lot of people say Zelda II is impossible. I must have beaten that at least a dozen times.[/QUOTE]

Didn't want to start a new thread so I bumped this instead.

While ZII isn't impossible it is a straight up bitch. I'm at the 3rd temple with over 50 deaths and I'm ready to throw in the towel. I'm sure it's doable but I really just don't want to sink in the time.

I played Zelda 2 so much as a kid (I swear my best friend had all of 3 NES games) that I can pretty much breeze through it up until I start having to travel to the final temple.

This thread pulled back up, nice..

I'm playing Etrian odyssey 3 now, another game that people say is hard, or for hardcore players. A little simple grinding and *poof*, it's very playable.

Most RPGs, true RPGs, with save points and the like, can they truly count as hard? you can sit their and re-try over and over and over... to infinity pretty much. A truly difficult game would make you start the whole fucking thing over again, from the start, no continue, no save point, no password to input.

I've always felt that primarily menu-based RPGs can't be considered hard because you can be talked through the game either by someone who has beaten it before or a FAQ.

For example, Final Fantasy 1 on NES is considered hard. But if you have the old Nintendo Power guide and you're willing to grind the appropriate amounts, it isn't really difficult anymore.

Something like, I dunno, Halo Reach on Legendary is always difficult because even if you're being told what to expect, your reactions must be very quick.

[quote name='sotc1988']I realize this hardly counts as an old school game but when Demon's Souls was first released I would read article after article about how the game was so difficult that game sites were flat out refusing to review it because they could not progress past even the first stage. So I took a chance and bought it and found it to be certainly difficult but FAR from the catastrophically impossible difficulty that reviewers were saying it had.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. I found it refreshing to play a game that treated difficulty in a way like SMB3; never too demanding yet rightfully progressive. Love it.

My worst nightmare in terms of non-difficulty would be Bases Loaded. I STILL get my @$$ handed to me in that game. It's really not that difficult, but the stigma of being inept as an adolescent certainly plays tricks on my concentration. I will forever suck at that game.

Just found this thread and read through all of the post. Great reads.

Most recently I tried to go back and play Donkey Kong Country 2, and can not get past the area after the roller coaster area. I remember that being my favorite of the series and not having any trouble with it now it is the most frustrating for me.

Yeah, the sports games from NES, SNES, Genesis era where you actually could lose to the computer. Amazing!

Bases Loaded was a bitch!

My favorite Baseball game was Baseball Simulator for SNES/NES (I think it was on both).

After that, played tons of Baseball Stars and MLB Baseball on NES.

Then finally Baseball, the Japanese import Game Boy (original black and white Game Boy).

bread's done
Back