Hard to find games to be on the lookout for

PhrozenFire

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I'm trying to assemble a pretty good comprehensive list of rare games so that I (and anyone else) can be on the lookout for rare games and the like. What are the rare games you know of? A rating of the rarity such as (rare, very rare, super rare) would be nice but not necessary by any means. Thanks a lot!! Also, if this would do better on another board let me know!

EDIT: Since the OP isn't updating, I figured I'd combine everything mentioned so far that I deemed to be EITHER rare OR expensive. If I'm not feeling too lazy I might make a new topic with everything either listed as rare (low print #'s) or just expensive, also I'd like to list prices next to everything, I might get to that later tonight.

PS2:
Grandia Xtreme
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Rez
Gitaroo Man
World of Outlaws: Sprint Cars 2002
Gallop Racer (2001-2004, since all prior releases appear to be rare, I'd imagine 2004 will be also)
R.A.D
Culdcept (Rare)

Gamecube:
Gauntlet: DL
NCAA Basketball 2K3
Original Phantasy Star online 1 and 2 (not plus)
Resident Evil 2 (not rare, just expensive)
Resident Evil 3 (not rare, just expensive)
Cubivore (Rare)

Xbox:
Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis
Marvel vs Capcome 2
Broken Sword - The Sleeping Dragon

GBA:
Car Battler Joe
Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis
Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
Phantasy Star Collecton
Cima The Enemy
Sonic Pinball Party
Ninja Five-o

PS1:
Lunar SSS
Lunar Eternal Blue
Valkyrie Profile
Rhapsody: a musical adventure
Suikoden II
Castlevania Symphony of the Night (NON-GH)
Persona 2
Arc the Lad Collection
Tactics Ogre
Bust A Groove 2
Intelligent Qube
Bust a Groove 1 -
DDR Disney Mix -
Hogs of War -
Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth
Thousand Arms
Vanguard Bandits
Lunar SSS (complete)
Lunar Eternal Blue (complete)
Alundra 1
Alundra 2
Suikoden I
Super Puzzle Fighter
Einhander
Legend of Mana

Dreamcast:
Powerstone 2
Cannon Spike
Vampire Chronicles (rare)
Tech Romancer
Project Justice

N64:
Harvest Moon
Starcraft

Gameboy Color:
Legend of the River King 2

NES:
Mr.Gimmick
Bubble Bobble 2
Dragon Warrior 2,3,4
Snow Brothers

Unsure of their rarity:

PS2:
Jade Coccon 2
PTO 4
Naval Ops
Fatal Frame 1 and 2
Dot.Hack part 2 (or is it 3?)
Monster Rancher 1 and 2
Zone of Enders 2

Xbox:
Deathtrow
Yager
Roller Coaster Tycoon
Fatal Frame 1 and 2
Air Force Delta Storm
Dead or Alive 3 BOOSTER Disc
Moto GP 2
Guily Gear X

GC:
Slugfest 2004
Zelda Collector's Edition
Zelda Ocarina of Time/Master Quest
Go Go Hypergrind (I heard limited quantities were made, can someone confirm?)

PS1:
Koudelka
Grandia
R Types
The Raiden Project
Tales of Destiny I
Tales of Destiny II
Elemental Gearbolt
Psychic Force
City of Lost Children
Klonoa
Nectaris: Military Madness
Speed Racer
Silent Bomber
Castlevania Chronicles
Battle Engine Aquila (Is this ps1 or ps2?)
Dragon Warrior 7

GBA:
Phantasy Star Collecton
Monster Rancher Advance 1 and 2

GB:
Warlocked

Ok, I think that's everything people mentioned, besides the obvious ommisions like ToS. I don't really feel like doing NES and SNES at the moment, but if you want feel free to post them.

I'd really like to get some confirm either yes or no on the games I'm unsure of, please don't just say "yes it's rare" or "no it's not" give some evidence please, I'll try to check ebay but that will only tell me if it is in demand or not. Also same goes for anything I have listed as rare, if I've made a mistake, let me know and provide some proof. I'll try to keep this updated.

Some other games that are a challenge to find or collectible:

GC:
NCAA Basketball 2K3
Resident Evil 2 or 3
Slugfest 2004
Tales of Symphonia (soon to be collectible)
Zelda Collection or Ocarina of Time (MQ)

PS2:
Castlevania (Box Set)
Disgaea (soon to be collectible)
Fatal Frame
Grandia Xtreme
Marvel vs Cap 2

PS:
Bust A Groove 2
DDR
Elemental Gearbolt
Intelligent Qube
Tales of Destiny I or II

Xbox:
Air Force Delta Storm
Marv vs Cap 2
Moto GP 2

[quote name='jimbodan']
Rez
[/quote]

Rez gets a re-release for $19.99 in November. I know the original is rare and all but I'm sure that it will not be as sought after once Sega re-releases it.

[quote name='valor19'][quote name='jimbodan']
Rez
[/quote]

Rez gets a re-release for $19.99 in November. I know the original is rare and all but I'm sure that it will not be as sought after once Sega re-releases it.[/quote]

I'm aware of that, but at the moment it's rare. Besides who knows if the new packaging will be different?

This is for more recent systems, and taking into account what's already been mentioned.

GameCube:
Cubivore - I've heard only 5,000 were made

GBA:
Car Battler Joe
Tactics Ogre

PS2:
World of Outlaws: Sprint Cars 2002

PSone:
Bust a Groove 1 - very rare
DDR Disney Mix - very rare
Hogs of War - so rare nobody ever mentions it
Klonoa
Monster Rancher 1 & 2
Speed Racer
Thousand Arms
Vanguard Bandits

[quote name='ramprider0']Man I've been looking for Jurassic Park for Xbox and its pretty hard to find![/quote]

I used to think so too, but my Hastings just got five new sealed copies. Sells at 29.99.

[quote name='ViolentLee']
[/quote]

Outpost has it. I got it there a month ago. $40

What about that Inu-Yasha fighting game for PS1? I used to see it, but I haven't seen it for quite some time. It's actually a pretty good (but shallow) fighter.

[quote name='Scorch'][quote name='ramprider0']Man I've been looking for Jurassic Park for Xbox and its pretty hard to find![/quote]

I used to think so too, but my Hastings just got five new sealed copies. Sells at 29.99.[/quote]
I just LoVe Hastings and their PS1 section.(YMMV) I grabbed Thouthand Arms (new) this summer for $49. I know it bites, but I traded 3 crappy games and got it for free($12 to be exact) .

[quote name='ctice44']Some other games that are a challenge to find or collectible:

GC:

[/quote]

?? :!: I don't think Tales of Symphonia is hard to find, I still see it at all the major retailers.

[quote name='Rig']What about that Inu-Yasha fighting game for PS1? I used to see it, but I haven't seen it for quite some time. It's actually a pretty good (but shallow) fighter.[/quote]

My Target still had a few copies last week for $20.

A few to add to the list:

PS2-
Gallop Racer 2001 and 2003

GBA-
Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance
Phantasy Star Collecton
Monster Rancher Advance 1 and 2
Cima

ebay is probably one of, if not the, best sources for databasing rare games- i would say any old title still selling at or above its original msrp qualifies as rare.

Guilty Gear for XBox, despite being released recently, is very hard to find. Also, that game with the strange name for PS2, where you control a ball and have to crush towns, is also hard to find (but that may be because shortsighted retailers failed to see the popularity, and will soon correct this).

[quote name='rebenns']Guilty Gear for XBox, despite being released recently, is very hard to find. Also, that game with the strange name for PS2, where you control a ball and have to crush towns, is also hard to find (but that may be because shortsighted retailers failed to see the popularity, and will soon correct this).[/quote]

KATAMARI DAMACY will become rare . Just watch it :D

[quote name='masha'][quote name='rebenns']Guilty Gear for XBox, despite being released recently, is very hard to find. Also, that game with the strange name for PS2, where you control a ball and have to crush towns, is also hard to find (but that may be because shortsighted retailers failed to see the popularity, and will soon correct this).[/quote]

KATAMARI DAMACY will become rare . Just watch it :D[/quote]

It probably will, and I am still trying to find it!

The hard to find PS2 game you are talking about (where you control a ball is Katamari Darmaci. Also Guilty Gear X and X2 are both pretty hard to find for the PS2. I have also had some trouble locating copies of King of the Fighter 2000/2001 for the PS2, but this might just be me.

[quote name='Rig'][quote name='masha'][quote name='rebenns']Guilty Gear for XBox, despite being released recently, is very hard to find. Also, that game with the strange name for PS2, where you control a ball and have to crush towns, is also hard to find (but that may be because shortsighted retailers failed to see the popularity, and will soon correct this).[/quote]

It probably will, and I am still trying to find it![/quote]

Grab it while you can from EB or Gamestop.

[quote name='ViolentLee']GameCube:
[/quote]

Cubivore has become hard to find? I see it constantly at GS and EB.

And for whomever said Disgaea and Tales of Symphonia... Disgaea got a release, its no longer rare.. Tales of Symphonia is anywhere and everywhere, its a major release, and definitely not rare.

SNES

Mega Man X2
Mega Man X3
Ninja Gaiden Trilogy
Any of the Square games (I don't know if they are actually rare because I see them all the time...)
Nosferatu
Dracula X

There is a whole bunch more but probably the most rare is an import game called Rendering Ranger, it's third Turrican game for snes, only a few thousand were made...

[quote name='Cornfedwb'][quote name='ViolentLee']GameCube:
[/quote]

And for whomever said Disgaea and Tales of Symphonia... Disgaea got a release, its no longer rare.. Tales of Symphonia is anywhere and everywhere, its a major release, and definitely not rare.[/quote]

I never saw Cubivore in a wild. Got mine from ebay a week ago. Very small print. I MUST have it. :D

PS1
Psychic Force
City of Lost Children
Lunar 1 and 2
Alundra 1 and 2
Suikoden
Super Puzzle Fighter
Castlevania (SOTN)

PS2
Zone of Enders 2

[quote name='ViolentLee']PSone:
Bust a Groove 1 - very rare
DDR Disney Mix - very rare
Hogs of War - so rare nobody ever mentions it
Klonoa
Monster Rancher 1 & 2
Speed Racer
Thousand Arms
Vanguard Bandits[/quote]
Wow, I guess having some of these games (like BaG and Hoshigami) makes them seem less rare to me (and I'm not trying to brag or anything). But while we're mentioning DDR Disney Mix, we can't forget DDR Konamix, which I think I'll have to end up ordering from Amazon or BuynShop.com. By the way, good work in GI, VLee.

Oh, I'd like to mention... don't buy a game just because it's rare. If you don't like the game, spending $50+ on a game is ludicrous. If you really want to invest.. find a broker and buy some stocks, or get CDs (at your bank, not your local Quonset Hut), get into a mutual fund.. anything better than video games.

Look at Disgaea, Rez, Skies of Arcadia, that one Dragonball Z game, the rumors of a Suikoden I & II re-release... when developers see these games are selling as rare games, they re-release them and your value goes to hell.

Even assuming the game doens't get released.. lets say you get a copy of a rare game for $40.. then after 6 months when its more rare, you may be able to get $50 for it.. or it goes down in value and sell it for $30. You're talking a 25% return with a high risk.. a low-low risk mutual fund will give you a 12-15% return, high risk could be in the 40% range.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']Oh, I'd like to mention... don't buy a game just because it's rare. If you don't like the game, spending $50+ on a game is ludicrous. If you really want to invest.. find a broker and buy some stocks, or get CDs (at your bank, not your local Quonset Hut), get into a mutual fund.. anything better than video games.[/quote]

That is so correct. Just got married a few months ago and I'm planning on saving money for a home and investing for my future kids college funds. (Is their a place where I can get a fixed college tuition rate? I heard about this once.) Collecting games is fun, but let it be rare or common games, it's not worth wasteing your money on a game for its current asking price if you are not going to play it.

[quote name='masha'][quote name='Rig'][quote name='masha'][quote name='rebenns']Guilty Gear for XBox, despite being released recently, is very hard to find. Also, that game with the strange name for PS2, where you control a ball and have to crush towns, is also hard to find (but that may be because shortsighted retailers failed to see the popularity, and will soon correct this).[/quote]

It probably will, and I am still trying to find it![/quote]

Grab it while you can from EB or Gamestop.[/quote]

Now that all the employees have their copies, the rest should be making it to the shelves.

Great List so far. Just a couple more (I think)

N64
Harvest Moon

GBA
Sonic Pinball Party
Ninja Five-o

GB
Warlocked

PS2
Jade Coccon 2 (maybe?)

PSone
Koudelka
Grandia

DC
Tech Romancer
Project Justice

Oh, and is ZOE 2 really that rare? And how about Stretch Panic? And while you can currently order it as the third topping on a sub, I'm betting that in five years or so, people will start asking about that Unlimited Saga game.

I agree with you Cornfedwb. Personaly I don't collect games to make a profit out of it. I do that, cause I like it. In order to make your collection complete you have to buy more games regardless it's $50 or $15 you spend on it. $15 is much better for me :D . That's why I'm here for. Once you make one complete there is another collection follows. Never ending process.

PS1

R-Type Delta
R Types
Intelligent Qube
Einhander
The Raiden Project (Almost all long box PS1 are rare)

PS2

PTO 4
Naval Ops

Xbox

Deathtrow
Yager
Roller Coaster Tycoon
Broken Sword - The Sleeping Dragon

^^^

I disagree with Deathrow and Broken Sword... Broken Sword is somewhat harder to find, but definitely not rare.. and Deathrow.. that's everywhere last time I was inclinated to look.

[quote name='"dpac"'][quote name='ViolentLee']
Wow, I guess having some of these games (like BaG and Hoshigami) makes them seem less rare to me (and I'm not trying to brag or anything). But while we're mentioning DDR Disney Mix, we can't forget DDR Konamix, which I think I'll have to end up ordering from Amazon or BuynShop.com. By the way, good work in GI, VLee.[/quote]

I don't think DDR Konamix is rare, it's just hard to find. People who like DDR will usually keep their games instead of trading them in.

I ended up buying Konamix online, but I have seen it in stores in my area.

[quote name='Cornfedwb'][quote name='ViolentLee']GameCube:
[/quote]

And for whomever said Disgaea and Tales of Symphonia... Disgaea got a release, its no longer rare.. Tales of Symphonia is anywhere and everywhere, its a major release, and definitely not rare.[/quote]

Yeah, I don't think Disgaea is rare, it's just never had a price drop. I think it is the only PS2 game out there that has never dropped a cent (sans the CC $5 fire sale), though that's... probably a topic for a different forum.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']^^^

I disagree with Deathrow and Broken Sword... Broken Sword is somewhat harder to find, but definitely not rare.. and Deathrow.. that's everywhere last time I was inclinated to look.[/quote]

Xbox games hardly become rare anyway. What else is there..hmmm.

Marvel vs Capcom 2

Why hasnt none said

Panzer dragoon saga
Shining force3
Winning post
ALL ON Saturn

ANd the game my cousin stepped on and broke and made me cry
SHINING FORCE CD for the Sega cd

The DDR games are pretty easy to find...at least in my area, but i have not checked to see what they are fetching for on ebay.

Reissue games in most cases, the original will loose its value signifigantly.

(Sealed) original games tend to be less affectedfrom being rereleased.

Reissues on a better format/extra material will also effect value.

Even if one does not intend to make profit from rare games etc. Its good to know the market and save money if you can.

More money saved=more games ;)

Super Mario Brothers for the NES, super duper rare, get one if you find one ;)

But seriously, the 1991 Nintendo World Championships Tournament Cart. The Holy Grail of rare games, especially the gold ones. Have fetched over a grand on Ebay

To answer myke. This is what I found about the Castlvaina box set. It says it is "Castlevania:Lament of Innocence in the USA" but the format is "NTSC Japan". I was not aware of any Castlevania box set either, but when I did some reaserch and came across this (at a glance) it looked American.... but the more I look at it, I'm guessing no. I'm sorry if I sent out misinformation, I was just in a rush & got a little excited.
Here's the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62053&item=8133259417&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Also, I never said Tales of Symphinia or Disgaea IS rare, I just said they would be collectible and most likely rare down the road (like a year or two). I do know that they rereleased Disgaea (and the guide), but I still find it a challenge to locate sometimes.

Arc the Lad Collection on PS1 is not rare. Expensive, but it came out at what? $70 to begin with? Maybe more?

Half.com has copies for $40 or less pretty often. Complete as well.

[quote name='sying']Super Mario Brothers for the NES, super duper rare, get one if you find one ;)

But seriously, the 1991 Nintendo World Championships Tournament Cart. The Holy Grail of rare games, especially the gold ones. Have fetched over a grand on Ebay[/quote]

Pah...you call that a holy grail? THIS is a rare game :p

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4315&item=8131610439&rd=1

Anyway, about this topic in general, its important to make the distinction between Rare and In-Demand. People always say the Final Fantasy games for the NES and SNES are "rare" but there are about 50 copies of those on ebay at any one time, whereas genuinely hard to find titles like Super Noah's Ark 3D don't usually go for much.
But to throw another title in, try F-1 2001 for the Xbox, it seems to be creeping up there in price, currently fetching 35-40 for a sealed copy. Also someone already mentioned Resident Evil 2 & 3 for the Gamecube, I have a feeling that Code Veronica X will soon be joining them in the high price range, sealed copies are fetching in the 40s right now.

[quote name='PsyClerk']Arc the Lad Collection on PS1 is not rare. Expensive, but it came out at what? $70 to begin with? Maybe more?

Half.com has copies for $40 or less pretty often. Complete as well.[/quote]

If you look on half.com or ebay then no game is rare since just about every game except the absolute rarest of the rare can be found there.

I don't know about your area, but around here no B&M stores have Arc the Lad collection, even TRU (which used to be the only store with it) is all sold out. It is also hard to find even at online stores, froogle only returned me with 1 site that had it used for under 50, all the rest were 59.99+.

I'd say the lack of many copies at B&M stores combined with it's high price makes this game rare.

[quote name='dinovelvet']
Anyway, about this topic in general, its important to make the distinction between Rare and In-Demand.[/quote]

That's a very good point, even if a game is super rare if no one wants it then it really isn't worth much.

[quote name='ctice44']Some other games that are a challenge to find or collectible:

GC:
NCAA Basketball 2K3
Resident Evil 2 or 3
Slugfest 2004
Zelda Collection or Ocarina of Time (MQ)

PS2:
Castlevania (Box Set)
Disgaea (soon to be collectible)
Fatal Frame
Grandia Xtreme
Marvel vs Cap 2

PS:
Bust A Groove 2
DDR
Elemental Gearbolt
Intelligent Qube
Tales of Destiny I or II

Xbox:
Air Force Delta Storm
Marv vs Cap 2
Moto GP 2[/quote]

Tales of Symphonia is not rare at all. That game got a huge release since it is one of the only GCN RPGs. I heard that it had a pretty large preorder as well. Something like 250,000-350,000.

Some I would like to add are:

Einhander
Battle Engine Aquila
Valkyrie Profile
Dragon Warrior 7
Intelligent Qube (I think that's how it is spelled)
Vagrant Story (some of you may disagree with me on this one, but it tends to be quite difficult to find.)
Thread of Fate
Thousand Arms
Culdcept

[quote name='jimbodan'][quote name='dinovelvet']
Anyway, about this topic in general, its important to make the distinction between Rare and In-Demand.[/quote]

That's a very good point, even if a game is super rare if no one wants it then it really isn't worth much.[/quote]

I highly agree with this statement. But even it is to a certain degree. There will always be collector's out there that want to complete their collection.

bread's done
Back