Hardest game you've ever played?

I cant believe most ppl who think battletoads is hard think so becoz of the 3rd level (bike)

honestly, you would NEVER be able to comprehend the sheer difficulty that is the wall-riding stage.

Ive been trying for YEARS to beat that. (of course I do not try very often)

and I'm also STILL playing Ghosts n Goblins. 5th stage, 1st playthru (also something I play not often)

It's also one of my life goals to beat Kid Chameleon.

one of my friends tried to, and he just gave up...

I heard u cannot beat it unless you know where every necessary warp is, otherwise you'll be at the game for like 9 hours straight.

I would have to say Ninja Gaiden is by far the hardest game I have ever played. I cant believe so many people have trouble with the first TMNT game for the NES. I used to play through that game from start to finish back in the day.. that sewer level towards the end is a pain in the ass though..

the trick to ninja gaiden is to jump backwards.

that way when a bird hits u in midair, u fall in the direction your back is facing.

in other words, you'll land on the next platform rather than in the pit.

same w/ ghosts and goblins, what I learned is,

jump in one direction, then turn around in midair and fire your weapon.

it being both defensive and offensive at the same time.

Hey JEKKI, in Battletoads what are you talking about "Wall Riding" stage? What do you have to do, and why is it so hard? Like I said, I have only seen the fourth board once. My brother in law did beat it one day in front of me and went through the warp, but that is the only 2 times I have seen past that third board.

Maybe I'll pop it in this weekend and try it again. I have not played it for a LONG time, so maybe I could do it now. I think part of my problem is I blink too much, twitchy eyes and all. I'll give it a try though.

[quote name='Rags']I really like Battletoads, used to play all the time with my brother. But, we could never get past that damn bike part.[/QUOTE]

Don't feel bad, nobody could get based the bike part. And that means no using the warp, which seems like the only way to get passed it. I had to game genie that sucker.

I remeber Battletoads more annoying then difficult id say, I know EVERYONE remebers the crane stuff and the bike crap...with a friend screwing you almost all the time!...Now when you get to "Quater Stealing" games then there is Ghouls and Ghosts and Rolling Thunder both dont count to me b/c the game starts over and gets harder...its like changing the dificulty after beating it....not actually the game continuing...props on Friday the 13th on NES...that game again FN annoying as shite! Im still sticking with Ninja Gaiden Black on super hard...thats the kind of game that makes you SERIOUSLY MAD...like break shite mad....thats what im talking about...its funny especially on mission mode b/c there are 50 of them you beat one that takes you FOREVER and theres another one right there like "Hey bitch, its my turn lets see what you got b/c that last mission was nothing!"....those 2 chicks at the end at the same time will SUPER PISS YOU OFF )whip chick edited and fyling bitch ....man I swear they cheat! took me sooooooooooooooooo long....then Legendary ninja was there to piss me off even more....you lose and have to do the ENTIRE thing over....master ninja tournanment stage takes FOREVER too...shite is real hard not annoying hard AI is sharp ! Not even mentioning the last boss in story mode...overall I really cant see any game as a whole being harder

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']Don't feel bad, nobody could get based the bike part. And that means no using the warp, which seems like the only way to get passed it. I had to game genie that sucker.[/QUOTE]

I did do it ONCE, I believe the fouth board is a snow level if I remember. But I only had one life and died really early in the board.

TMNT NES I used to be able to get into the Technodrome, but in all my attempts I never could get past that last tunnel, just before Shedder. Blast!

Punch Out - Tyson is just damn impossible
Super Ghosts N Goblins - I still have trouble getting past level 1
Blaster Master - gave up in frustration at the crab boss in level 5 every single time

Forgot about Blaster Master, that game was hard. I never got too far in that either.

I always thought the Tiger guy you have to fight to save the girl character's boyfriend(if I remember right) in Secret of Mana was hard too. I think that was before the time I actually understood RPG's with the leveling up and stuff. I beat his back then too, but played him a bunch of times.

Mega Man 1 was kinda hard back in the day too, but I played it on the anniversiry edition and did not have too many probs. Was the AE of that game made easier or something? May just be I'm older.

[quote name='Rags']Hey JEKKI, in Battletoads what are you talking about "Wall Riding" stage? [/QUOTE]in the wall-riding stage you're on a unicycle thing riding along the walls.

you go hella slow unless you push the direction in which you're moving in,

so if u go up u gotta press up, etc. thus when corners come about you tend to slow down.

so what makes it hard is there's a ball thing chasing you, and it's faster than you are!

the only way to make sure it doesnt catch up to you is by timing your corner transitions perfect,

it is such a bitch!!

I heard though, that if you beat the stage tho, that you actually get to fight the ball thing,

which people have described as the greatest feeling ever coz u get to beat the crap out of it.

edit: and yeah the snow level is level 4 I think,

there's also a snake riding level, a surfboarding level, and a vertical climb level that has a lot of electric enemies.

I never made it past the first level on Captain Planet.

I never made it past the truck-chase level in Terminator 2 (nes)

Getting past the electricity/bomb/underwater level in TMNT was ridiculous.

God of War in god mode is hard.

Addams Family (NES)isn't so much hard as it is just cheap and stupid.

And I really don't understand why everyone thinks that Friday the 13th is so hard. I'm not that great of a gamer, and I've beat it more than a few times.

I've also never beat Goonies II and Super Mario Bros. Yea the first one, I can't do it. I'm gonna go try right now. New when I get back.

[quote name='batmundo']TMNT NES I used to be able to get into the Technodrome, but in all my attempts I never could get past that last tunnel, just before Shedder. Blast!

Punch Out - Tyson is just damn impossible
Super Ghosts N Goblins - I still have trouble getting past level 1
Blaster Master - gave up in frustration at the crab boss in level 5 every single time[/quote]

Blaster Master was awesome. I beat that game a ton of times. I remember the crab boss but can't remember what you had to do.

Ninja Gaiden (NES), Castlevania (NES), MegaMan 1 (NES) were all hard as hell, especially since there were no saves in Ninja Gaiden and Castlevania. Any game where you had a password or saves were way easier than those where you had play through in one shot.

Ah, Commando (NES) was also a bitch.

I had a game back on my Sega master system called My Hero that is to this day still the most difficult game i have ever played. I dont think i could ever play for longer than a min or two. I also had a games snes called jim power in 3d that was overly impossible as well

I never realized that so many people considered TMNT(NES) to be an incredibly difficult game. That was one of my favorite NES games when I was young. I can remember playing through it at least 4 or 5 times, but I haven't touched it in many years. Most of the games I owned as a kid, such as Metal Gear, Contra, Mega Man and Fester's Quest, were on the difficult side.

I would agree with those of you who mention Ninja Gaiden/Black(XB). It's definitely the most difficult game of the XB/PS2/GC generation.

Glad I'm not the only one that thought Blaster Master was a pain in the ass. Only way I beat that was with an emulator with game genie and save states. I sat one night about a year ago for a good 3 or 4 hours playing it all the way thru with save states and game genie (yeah it was that hard for me), all that work honestly wasn't worth the cheap ending it gave you. I've got Blaster Master: Blasting again for PSX that I've been meaning to give a spin

Honestly, I didn't have that much of a problem with TMNT for NES, best I could do without cheating is get to the level where you had to find the technodrome. A little tip though, if you have the rom and an emulator with game genie, enter the cheat codes at about the 3rd level (or in the swimming stage) and you'll be fine when you get inside the technodrome. For some reason when you enter them at the very start, you start taking damage then. Terminator 2 (not the Arcade game version) for the SNES was confusing all fuck! Those damn driving between levels are a bitch.

As for Battletoads, I didn't really have a problem with the speeder bike levels after about 45 mins. Of course I use to be able to nail all the level warps like it were nothing. Now I can barely get to the first one. Though, I did fucking hate that tube level. I can barely stand it when I play it on an emulator

I think choosing certain difficulty levels on certain games kind of skews how hard it really is. Especially those difficulty levels where the game just gets stupid hard, like Dante Must Die or the like. We should base how hard they are on normal mode, then everyone can share the experience ;)

Anyway, other then some of the nes games metioned:

COBRA TRIANGLE (NES)

My god that was just annoying hard, seemed like one of those arcade games ment to eat away at your quarters. I beat it once and don't dare to touch it again. Ahhh fun times....

[quote name='crystalklear64']The Second Level of Cutthroat Island... aka the Mine Cart of Frustration.[/QUOTE]

I played that game for hours on a rental, and was able to beat that cart board a couple times. If I played that game these days I would probably lable it as "The Mine Cart of Swearing Constantly".

The normal scale is a good scale to go by, I can only imagine if those older NES games had a difficulty scale, such as TMNT was on normal, and you could change to hard. Could have been Easy, Normal, Hell.
The Battletoads easier difficulty would have just eliminated that damn bike level.

[quote name='crystalklear64']The Second Level of Cutthroat Island... aka the Mine Cart of Frustration.[/quote]

Ha, I just remembered that game! I recall I drew up a little "map" for that damn level, it made it alot easier to beat. Actually, after that I was able to beat that level without any trouble, even flawlessly sometimes, thanks to the map ^_^. Not like the game was much easier after that anyway, stupid level riding ontop of the horse-carriage.

Devil May Cry 3 is damn hard.

Contra: Shattered Soldier takes the cake for me though. Becomes easier though once you learn the enemy's patterns for about 4 hours in a 5 mission game.

Hexic HD is probably the hardest game I've ever played. To beat it you have to surround a colored gem with 6 black pearls, getting 6 black pearls involves surrounding a colored 6 gem with 6 starflowers 6 times,getting 6 starflowers invovles surrounding a colored gem with 6 same color colored gems, and trust me its not as easy as it sounds...

[quote name='saikoxerokool']Hexic HD is probably the hardest game I've ever played. To beat it you have to surround a colored gem with 6 black pearls, getting 6 black pearls involves surrounding a colored 6 gem with 6 starflowers 6 times,getting 6 starflowers invovles surrounding a colored gem with 6 same color colored gems, and trust me its not as easy as it sounds...[/quote]

Yea that crap is hard...but addictive

Woodruff and Schnibble of Azimuth
Towers (4 colors w00t)
Alone in the Dark 2
Little Big Adventure (aka Relentless: Twinsen's Adventure)

just the mission where you have to storm the place, and you have to ensure your dumbass AI partner doesn't die

For me it would have to be Pokemon Snap, and Wiz N Liz.

Ok JK...

but wow at the TMNT mentions. I think I only made it to the end of level 2, but I havent played it in years. I still have the damn TMNT background music planted in my head. Cool game for kids, but very hard.

I can't remember Battletoads too well, I remember beating this free falling level, and motorcycle level. I would need to see a list of levels.

I remember Bucky O'Hare being hard (I had to be about 5).

I also enjoyed thinking games, Starflight, Maniac Mansion, Dare to Dream, and Myst. I thought they were all pretty hard for a young kid. I also found them to be somewhat educational.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']NES era = Beating Mike Tyson is MT's Punchout
16-bit Era = Super Ghouls N' Ghosts
32/64 bit era = Dunno, maybe Zelda OoT (I remember it taking me sometime to finish)
DC/Current Gen = Contra Shattered Soldier (which I never did finish) or maybe Ninja Gaiden with the Ninja Tournament level/difficulty[/quote]

Atari era = E.T. So hard most people gave up.
16-bit Era = Populous - impossible to get past world 200
32/64 bit era = Banjo-Kazooie's final fight
DC/Current Gen = Gitaroo Man - insane difficulty past level 3

How about X-men for the nes? I could never tell what the hell was going on.

Or Mission Impossible for the NES? Lose one of the three guys, go crazy because you cant open a door.

TMNT for the NES was insanely hard.

Metal Gear for the NES?

The Adventures of Byuou Billy.... OMG!!! I wanna break and controller just thinking about it.

Gradius 1? JESUS.

It was like a time period where they didnt test the games and a team of 3 made them so it was shipped and people bought it based on cool covers.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Adventure Island/Wonder Boy 1. That game was freaking tough.

Also Kid Niki for the nes. There's this one level, I think it's 3, where you're jumping across water on these rock platforms. While you're doing this, these stupid ass bubbles are rising from the bottom. If one touches you, back to the start of the level. A fucking bubble that can kill you.

Legacy of the wizard was stupid hard too. I had no idea what I was doing for the longest time in that game. Even when you do, it's still a pain in the ass.

Legendary Axe for the TG16 was hard too. I almost broke my controler because of that game.

Kid Nikki was hard, I played it in the Arcade all the time and could always get past the first level or 2 but the 3rd always got me.

I forgot one that was hard as hell for me on normal difficulty. Mortal Kombat 2. Motaro(may be spelled wrong) was the hardest boss in a fighting game I have ever played. I can't imaging what he was like on hard. Maybe it was just me though.

[quote name='Rags']I forgot one that was hard as hell for me on normal difficulty. Mortal Kombat 2. Motaro(may be spelled wrong) was the hardest boss in a fighting game I have ever played. I can't imaging what he was like on hard. Maybe it was just me though.[/quote]

Motaro is from MK3.

Kintaro is from MK2, and yes HE WAS A BASTARD. He was way harder than shao Khan was. Though I would think he was more cheap than anything.

[quote name='stinkoman']Motaro is from MK3.

Kintaro is from MK2, and yes HE WAS A BASTARD. He was way harder than shao Khan was. Though I would think he was more cheap than anything.[/QUOTE]

Ah, thanks for correcting. I always get the 2 confused for some reason.

Maybe I'm just really bad at this game cause I'm surprised no one has mentioned it, but Guitar Hero on expert is impossible to me. I'm sure there are people out there that beat it, but I can't imagine how fast their fingers can move.

Some others that weren't mentioned yet:
R-Type Delta
Illbleed
Gunvalkyrie

One of my great gaming accomplishments is beating Contra without the code. :applause:

Hardest games for me:

- Spelunker (NES) - death by centimeters
- Zelda II (NES) - I'm probably the only one, but that was hard as HELL
- Trauma Center (NDS) - love the game, but that "Healing Touch" operation seems outright impossible (any tips...PM me :lol: )

I can't believe no one has mentioned Chakan: The Foreverman on Genesis. Ninja Gaiden, DMC, and even Battletoads are training tools in comparison.

The original Ghosts'n'Ghosts I never finished without cheating and Turok 2 was as brutal as it was brilliant, I got lost for hours in levels and never finished it.

I never played these but according to Gamefan's resident shooter fan, Undead Line (Megadrive) and Project X2 (playstation)are supposed to be the toughest games ever crafted by mortal hands. Anyone have any experience with them?

I feel like a loser for admitting this, but the new Suoer Mario Bros is kicking my ass. Im soo used to sloppy controlling 3D sandbox type games, or racers, or any new style of game in general, that the precise running and jumping skills needed for a SMB game have left me. I need to relearn all of that stuff!

uhhhhhh

GRAW i dont kno about anyone else but from wut i played the controls are pretty iffy
THe last Katamari level in both games
ME and My Katimari has some controls to get used to which makes it hard
FFIII on my PSP (emulator)
Metal gear acid
Advance Wars 1, 2, and DS verson

[quote name='Puffa469']I feel like a loser for admitting this, but the new Suoer Mario Bros is kicking my ass. Im soo used to sloppy controlling 3D sandbox type games, or racers, or any new style of game in general, that the precise running and jumping skills needed for a SMB game have left me. I need to relearn all of that stuff![/quote]
some of the levels r pretty hard

bread's done
Back