Harry Potter 7: Death to Everyone (spoilers)

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
I guess this could be considered a spoiler so read at your own risk.

What is Rowling's facination with killing off characters we like? She has said two main ones die in the last book. I have a feeling one of them (if not both) will be either Ron or Hermione which will annoy the crap out of me. I know it's supposed to be the last HP book ever but we all know that someday Rowling will need to get back in the spotlight after she writes a bunch of books no one cares about and I'd like to see these characters live on unless she pulls a Magnum PI or some other lame trick.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060627/ap_en_ot/britain_rowling;_ylt=AucS9Bv88HR1bLzq0XtNlZlxFb8C;_ylu=X3oDMTA2Z2szazkxBHNlYwN0bQ--

Well, she did say that two characters she didn't intend to die will, so that just puts the bare minimum at two.

I don't care who dies, but if she pulls some shit that gives Draco Malfoy any redeeming qualities whatsoever (I somehow feel he'll die saving Harry, because she likes to conflate plot twists that way), then I'll be furious. I can handle anyone dying, however.

[quote name='mykevermin']Well, she did say that two characters she didn't intend to die will, so that just puts the bare minimum at two.

I don't care who dies, but if she pulls some shit that gives Draco Malfoy any redeeming qualities whatsoever (I somehow feel he'll die saving Harry, because she likes to conflate plot twists that way), then I'll be furious. I can handle anyone dying, however.
[/quote]

I totally agree.

There's no way Draco should have ANY redeeming qualities. He is the really the only one of the younger generation who is purely evil (and I guess Crabbe and Goyle fall in there as well but more by default). Also, she loves to drop hints about where characters are headed and so far in all 6 books there is nothing to even suggest he will end up being "good" - she better not screw this up.

Nevertheless, Rowling better get her ass in gear, and I agree, not screw up. There is a LOT of work to be done in book 7 (story arcs to bring together, motives/actions to explain, conflicts to develop, and so on).

My wife just tore through 5 and 6 within 2 weeks (and she's far less of a reader than I). I got a good laugh knowing that she'd deal with "Harry Potter withdrawal" (most characterized with the shouting of "WELL, WHAT THE fuck AM I SUPPOSED TO READ NOW?!?!?!" once a person finishes Half-Blood Prince).

[quote name='mykevermin']Nevertheless, Rowling better get her ass in gear, and I agree, not screw up. There is a LOT of work to be done in book 7 (story arcs to bring together, motives/actions to explain, conflicts to develop, and so on).

My wife just tore through 5 and 6 within 2 weeks (and she's far less of a reader than I). I got a good laugh knowing that she'd deal with "Harry Potter withdrawal" (most characterized with the shouting of "WELL, WHAT THE fuck AM I SUPPOSED TO READ NOW?!?!?!" once a person finishes Half-Blood Prince).[/quote]
Haha - I know exactly how she feels. I never read any of them until last summer when I tore through all 6 one after the other. When book 6 ended I was really bummed.

[quote name='mykevermin']Well, she did say that two characters she didn't intend to die will, so that just puts the bare minimum at two.

[/QUOTE]

I dont know if Draco will save him but I think he will do something good. He has some in him, he couldnt kill and I really think he is a product of nurture. The person who I think will save harry will be Wormtail, I think that life bond that he shares with harry will come true, think of it like in Lord of the Rings how Sharky gets killed.

On dont really know how she is going to cover all the hocroxes in one book, and harry training to be more powerful, and him finding the power of love. The only thing I hope from the last book is Neville actually doing something right.

She said YEARS AGO that "It's cute that everyone thinks Harry will survive all 7 books"

I kinda hope he does die.... especially if its saving everyone close to him (they could even do a Harry and parents reunion shot ala Return of the Jedi :) )

Yes, but the #1 thing I learned in creative writing classes was not to kill the main character off because it shows lack of creativity and a host of other reasons I really can't remember right now. Point is, it's too easy to kill off the main character. Of course, I don't want some happily ever after ending where there's a BS wedding or sunset in the end, but killing Harry would be dumb.

But that's just my opinion ;)

:)

Hey, he could have been stumped at the end. Besides, what's left to write about once you've already included incest, murder, sex, idolatry, etc. but to kill the bas***d off.

Oh, and you misspelled SHAKESPEARE ;)

[quote name='boo']Yes, but the #1 thing I learned in creative writing classes was not to kill the main character off because it shows lack of creativity and a host of other reasons I really can't remember right now. Point is, it's too easy to kill off the main character. Of course, I don't want some happily ever after ending where there's a BS wedding or sunset in the end, but killing Harry would be dumb.

But that's just my opinion ;)[/QUOTE]

Well, the only median between "happily ever after" and "dead protagonist" is the killed-to-death-by-stephen-king-time-after-time-after-time-after-time-after-fucking-TIME "less than perfect protagonist," who is either horribly mangled physically, or emotionally scarred beyond repair.

Other than that, you'd already exhausted the possibilities: a happy ending or a sad ending. Given the characters who have died in preceding books, this can't feasibly be the "happy ending."

wouldn't it be so awesome if there was a bang and smoke and neville just pops out of nowhere, being the true boy of the prophecy. and then into bullet time mode, with spells everywhere.

[quote name='sevdustflyer']
I want to have sexual intercourse with the girl who plays Hermione in the movies.
[/QUOTE]

shes a lil booze hound in real life so u might have a chance

[quote name='Russblue11']wouldn't it be so awesome if there was a bang and smoke and neville just pops out of nowhere, being the true boy of the prophecy. and then into bullet time mode, with spells everywhere.[/quote]

Minus the Neo bit, Im kinda figuring thats whats going to happen.

[quote name='doraemonkerpal']my two guesses would be...

harry potter and voldemort. :D
[/QUOTE]

Well, she said she was surprised that these characters died, so those two are clearly ruled out.

They may still die, and presumably one of them *has* to, but this is two other people.

I'm guessing Hagrid. He'd lay down his life for Harry, but he really hasn't seen any battle action up to this point, so he would be a surprise. Snape? Not sure if he'd be a surprise, but I want to know what this concrete proof is.

After reading all books to this point (I reread all right before the movie comes out), I don't think it will be HP. Rowling has hinted at the fact there's a simbiotic thing with Voldemort, but the power seems to go back and forth, so if HP succeeded in offing Voldemort, he would only get stronger.

Oh God, why have I wasted so much of my time on adolescent literature?

I wouldn't believe it'd be Snape because he vanished at the end of the last novel...or maybe this could be his triumphant return?

I thought the prophecy was a real let down. It wasn't official yet, but you'd have to be stupid not to have thought of that most likely happening.

[quote name='browneyedgal68']I'm guessing Hagrid. He'd lay down his life for Harry, but he really hasn't seen any battle action up to this point, so he would be a surprise. Snape? Not sure if he'd be a surprise, but I want to know what this concrete proof is.

After reading all books to this point (I reread all right before the movie comes out), I don't think it will be HP. Rowling has hinted at the fact there's a simbiotic thing with Voldemort, but the power seems to go back and forth, so if HP succeeded in offing Voldemort, he would only get stronger.

Oh God, why have I wasted so much of my time on adolescent literature?[/QUOTE]

In regards to the latter, I have two reasons: (1), Rowling isn't great at selling me on the goodness of characters, but she makes bad characters so detestable that you *have* to keep reading to see them get their comeuppance. From the first chapter, I did feel somewhat for Harry, but I was 10X more concerned with the Durseleys getting hit by a fucking train. She keeps the main characters incessantly engaged with these kinds of characters (the Malfoys, and most of the time, Snape). Also, (2), she does have some unpredictable plot twists. She does a fantastic job leaving the reader's mind questioning how everything will come together until very close to the end.

I think you're on to something about Hagrid. Lots of sopping wet pages if that happens, I think. He's perhaps the most purely good (in a naive way) character in the series.

My guess is Harry will either have to kill himself or have to get one of his friends to kill him because Harry is a horcrux himself. I think that when Voldemort attacked Harry, he also cast a spell to make him a horcrux at the same time.

I also don't think Dumbledore is truly dead. There are just way too many fishy things surrounding his death that makes it seem like its all a set up.

If
Neville turns out to be the real child of prophecy and then dies
I'm gonna be super pissed. I love that little fucker.

mod, I think there's one thing inevitable with regards to that character:

he'll finally do something correctly; something significant to the overall story arc anyway, not like merely doing a spell in class correctly.

I hope that the dead stay dead. I don't want too many characters pulling a Patrick Duffy from Dallas bullshit, just to satisfy some smarmy bitches who greive over fictional characters' deaths more than they do real-life atrocities occurring in the world in which they live. fuck them.

[quote name='mykevermin']I hope that the dead stay dead. I don't want too many characters pulling a Patrick Duffy from Dallas bullshit, just to satisfy some smarmy bitches who greive over fictional characters' deaths more than they do real-life atrocities occurring in the world in which they live. fuck them.[/quote]

I agree - that's why I don't want her killing off Harry, Ron or Hermione. Anyone else is fair game as far as I'm concerned. If this really is the end to Harry Potter books then I guess kill everyone - what does it matter - but I think that this is merely the ending to the first series of books that Rowling will write about Harry Potter and if that's the case it wouldn't be the same without Ron and Hermione.

[quote name='javeryh']I agree - that's why I don't want her killing off Harry, Ron or Hermione. Anyone else is fair game as far as I'm concerned. If this really is the end to Harry Potter books then I guess kill everyone - what does it matter - but I think that this is merely the ending to the first series of books that Rowling will write about Harry Potter and if that's the case it wouldn't be the same without Ron and Hermione.[/QUOTE]

maybe she'll spin off on a new character like The Creevy Brothers adventure or some sort of prequel.

I just hope the new back has more info on Snape, I really think the bad guys make or break the story

I know she has said in the past that Lily is more important than we think, and that Godrick's Hollow is key as well because of Godrick Griffindor

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']shes a lil booze hound in real life so u might have a chance[/QUOTE]

Ahh, the glories of the internet, where two photographs of a person drinking the same beer instantly qualify them as alcoholics.

Here are my predictions:

Voldemort has The Dursleys killed in the beginning of the book on Harry's 17th birthday, and Harry has to go into hiding. Ron and H- go to Hogwarts but later leave to help Harry search for the horcruxes. Neville and Luna leave to help too.

Ron gets killed half way through. I think he is Harry's most loyal / closest friend so J.K. is going to have him whacked to shock us.

Neville dies in a blaze of glory towards the end, but not before saving Harry's ass and laying the ultimate smackdown on Lestrange. Crucio!

Somebody turns out to be a Horcux. Maybe Neville since I think he ends up dying anyway and was born the same day as Harry.

Draco lives (unfortunatly) but I'm not sure about Snape. Maybe he dies saving the little basterd.

Percy Weasly might yet have a role to play.

Lots of fights between the death eaters and order of the Pheonix (duh).

Harry Destorys Voldemort in the end, but has to absorb his essance. His scar disappears but he is permanantly tormented in some way. With Ron dead him and H- hook up (duh).

[quote name='wageslave']With Ron dead him and H- hook up (duh).[/quote]

Nothing like moving in on your best friend's girl 200 pages or so after he dies!

[quote name='mykevermin']Ahh, the glories of the internet, where two photographs of a person drinking the same beer instantly qualify them as alcoholics.[/QUOTE]

bah, what do u know 3 photos

ohh and secondly, chill out i was joking around

Okay, mykevermin, you've given us lots of reasons why our choices are not valid but haven't actually said yourself who may be killed off in the end. Perhaps your cleverness is getting in the way of your ability to answer clearly.

[quote name='boo']Okay, mykevermin, you've given us lots of reasons why our choices are not valid but haven't actually said yourself who may be killed off in the end. Perhaps your cleverness is getting in the way of your ability to answer clearly.[/QUOTE]

Huh? Why do you have to be a shitneck because your suggestion more or less exhausted the possibilities of how the book ends (and shit on them both)?

I agree with someone above. Perhaps your literary mastery would help you discover that.

[quote name='mykevermin']Huh? Why do you have to be a shitneck because your suggestion more or less exhausted the possibilities of how the book ends (and shit on them both)?
[/QUOTE]

Ahh, the king of gray shades telling the rest of us that it can only be happily ever after or tragic.

gunm has a three-way with Hermione, Cho Chang, and Fleur. They love it so much that they all become his consorts and live happily ever after, the end.

[quote name='mykevermin']Chillicothe Culinary Academy and Dairy Whip.

You?[/QUOTE]
mykevermin's school of bulls**t

[quote name='Strell']Ahh, the king of gray shades telling the rest of us that it can only be happily ever after or tragic.[/QUOTE]

Oh, pshaw. I've already noted that, given those who have died already, it can't be a geuinely happy ending.

We also know that she wants to be able to end this series in a rather finite fashion, so there's bound to be ample tragedy, and as she confirmed, lotsa deaths.

If you want to be literal, the tragic ending would involve Harry dying and Voldemort regaining power such that the books end with him ruling the wizard world with an iron fist. That's not how the book will end; it's far too much a "consumer product" and far too popular to end that way.

There's little doubt the ending will involve the (mostly) permanent demise of Voldemort. You've known that since the end of "Sorceror's Stone." How impacted the protagonists will end up is the only question. If you want shades of gray, then you can delve into the subplot story arcs. Will Ron and Hermione finally hook up (didn't they do so in Book 6?)? Will Snape get his comeuppance? Will Neville do something, anything, properly? Will the Malfoys or Dursleys get their comeuppance? That will impact the ending, but it may or may not be tangetially related to the major story arc.

I'm just saying there's lots of room for option.

Maybe Harry kills Voldemort, but he inherets his power in a very Highlander sort of way, and corrupts down the line and becomes another Voldemort?

What if they both die in the struggle?

What if only Harry survives as the last remaining wizard of all time, and dies traumatized in a mental ward?

After the second book, none of them are really happy endings. The third one sees the resurgence of a noted (and now outed) Voldemort supporter, as well as a wrongly accused renegade getting shafted. Fourth sees resurrection. Fifth sees further complications and a dead character, and the six is wonderfully morose. So I agree it has to be a juxtaposition at the end.

Also wanted to add (this is completely satellitory) that she was in an interview once and held up a closed manilla folder (this was after the fourth or fifth book I think) and said "This contains the ending to the final book, and resolves what happens to all the characters."

So apparently she's had the ending written for a while. But being a writer myself I highly doubt she's able to conform to her original vision, as stuff changes quickly in narratives. I've written myself into and out of corners within the same chapter, as well as introduced all sorts of extra loose ends. It's great fun, and I'm just saying I'd be incredibly surprised if what she has already written is in line with what ultimately goes into the book.

And yea, there are tons of loose ends. The sixth book alone unveils WAY too much crazy shit. It kept me up a few nights after I finished it.

And yes, I too have gone through HP withdrawel/depression. At least 3 times now. The first time involved reading the first four books back to back, the second and third times coming after their sequels.

Also, while we're on the subject, I'm highly curious to see what she puts out next. Unfortunately she's going to write under a pen name, but I hope it gets revealed years after publication that she was behind it. Though I'm betting very astute readers could peg her style by now...

bread's done
Back