Has anyone been to Hawaii?

Scorch

CAGiversary!
Feedback
72 (100%)
I just want to know if it's as magical/peaceful as it looks. It seems like it'd be an amazing place to take a vacation to or move to.

it's a nice place to visit...however some friends who live there report having island fever (meaning they realize they're on an island and can't jsut drive to where they want)

the lifestyle is different over there too, esp with the constant influx of tourists.

I've heard it's also expensive to just barely get by living there. That and there's a substantial homeless population because of the associated costs of living.

I couldn't stand living in Hawaii. I'm already in California and miserable. The weather is nice but the costs associated and the high density of people... no thanks.

Agreed the price there is very high.

I lived over there on the Big Island (Hawaii) for about 2 years. I was able to get a very good job over there at the time making about $12 which I thought was good but as stated before the cost of living is high.
You do get island fever but there's alot to do while your over there. I went to Volcano National park and that was awesome. Seen the black sand beaches and other various activities while there.

If you ever get the chance to go I would but it takes a certain person to live there. Also umm the locals kinda don't like foreigners aka Haoles. And I'm Pacific Islander myself lol that's just a thing over there. It also depends on the tone that they say it. You'll be able to tell if your about to get beat down. ;)

Find the ancient burial grounds you must!

tiki.jpg

Its pretty pricey on the big island when I was on vacation I checked out apartments. A 1 bedroom was not cheap...

I went to Oahu in 1999 and Maui in 2000.

The cost of living is high, but you're in paradise.

In terms of being homeless, why would you need shelter? It isn't like you're going to freeze to death there and there are plenty of places to get out of the sun.

99.9% of the beaches are free. The islands are small enough to not require a car.

If you have experience as a waiter, waitress or a cook, you have a job and a steady supply of food.

If you know how to scuba, you have a middle class job.

It's awesome. I went in 2005 and had a blast. Unfortunately I only made it to O'ahu (my brother was stationed there in the Air Force at the time)--which is very commercialized and touristy--but even there you can get to some more local stuff in the north etc.

But I'd encourage some island hopping if you go.

I also don't think I'd want to live there. I'm not much of a beach/hot weather/tropical climate person.

its expensive especially if youre want to own a home. even the crapiest places will cost an arm or a leg renting can be a chore too. you get paid alot even the lower end jobs have a high wage but compared to how much groceries, gas ect cost you can end up hurting. that said because of the weather and the bus system you dont need a car you can easily catch the bus anywhere you need to go or ride bike but be careful doing that because people can drive for shit. theres an accident pretty much everyday.

its pretty much like everywhere else in the world except they have great weather. they have ghetto areas, gangs and other crap but depending on which island you go to people can be very damn friendly. figure out what most important to you and choose your island wisely. also they got rid of the ferry so unlss you have your own boat you will have to fly to get to other islands.

The misses and I are planning on going there for our honeymoon/wedding. I went there for 2 weeks in 2001 and I really loved it.

It is very much a touristy place (some islands more than others, I really like Kauai which felt the least touristy to me). I talked to a tour bus driver we had who spoke "off the record" to my family saying how he barely makes enough to get by, but like half the population (especially the "natives") are like that.

I was just reading an article about the country's best beaches. There is some little town in Hawaii that was said to have the countries nicest beach. Can't remember the name of the town, they mentioned that some of Tropic Thunder was filmed there and that Ben Stiller sometimes stays there.

I don't know if it's the same one, but I really like Kaanapali beach on Maui when I was there, it's pretty awesome and you have a great view of Molokai and Lanai islands.

I actually live on Oahu, its magical if your on vacation...not so much while living here. It has its pros and cons just like any other place. I'm not the biggest fan of Hawaii just because I like having different seasons throughout the year. If you need any help deciding on if you should vacation here and where to stay hit me up.

my cousin works at the four seasons there. for a while he was renting a an apartment with no electricity and it cost almost as much as our mortgage for a house in NY. he loves it and only comes to the mainland once a year or so. according to my aunt, being without electricity there wasn't that big of a deal for him because he's outgoing and always had a friend's place to go to if he wanted to watch the game etc.

the biggest pro about hawaii is the mix of cultures here. if theres any asian country you wanted to get a taste of you can do it pretty easily. lots of interesting fruits too ( this coming from someone who grew up on mainland basics grapes, oranges, apples, bananas, pears, watermelon). some fruit you can actually get for free but damn if they dont charge you by the pound for watermelon.

[quote name='lordwow']The misses and I are planning on going there for our honeymoon/wedding. I went there for 2 weeks in 2001 and I really loved it.

It is very much a touristy place (some islands more than others, I really like Kauai which felt the least touristy to me). I talked to a tour bus driver we had who spoke "off the record" to my family saying how he barely makes enough to get by, but like half the population (especially the "natives") are like that.[/QUOTE]

On the record, over half of the mainland population are barely getting by.

If you're going to scrape by, why not live someplace beautiful?

bread's done
Back