Has anyone dealt with telemarketing fraud before?

DOMINATOR912

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Around March of this year I received a call stating that I owed somewhere in the range of $1500 for a magazine subscription I never signed up for. After arguing over the phone with these people for a few minutes, they hung up on me. I googled the number that called me and as it turns out, they have been doing this for months to people all over the country. They've called me back a few times, and I always just hang up on them, but it doesn't seem like the calls are going to stop. Hell, I think the same people are responsible for a phone bill cramming incident I had a few weeks ago. I've reported them to the FTC and donotcall.gov several times, but they just won't quit. Unfortunately for me, they managed to get my age (not my birthdate) and occupation (not where I work) the first time they called since I didn't catch on to them soon enough. I know they can't do much to screw me without a CC# or SSN, but I'm still paranoid. I'm just looking for some advice as to what to do since I'm getting seriously frustrated.

Record their calls and hand it over to the police. See what advice they offer.

Or, since it's likely to be happening across state lines, and involves the USPS for the shipment of said magazines, it falls into the view of the USPS Postal Inspectors. Or, the FBI.

I think they keep on trying because they've already managed to get your age and occupation and figure they could fish more out of you. Why not just say the person they are looking for no longer lives there? If they are looking for DOMINATOR12, and you repeatedly tell them you are Tom Cruise, what more could they do?

If you get a number on caller ID, report that number to donotcall.org. If the number is blocked, you can ask your phone company about anonymous call rejections.

If you don't know the number just don't answer. I have to believe at some point after calling a number and never getting an answer they'd eventually stop

If you choose to contact the police, try the state police first. Most local departments don't have the manpower, resources, or time to investigate those types of crimes. They might refer you to the FCC again, but if you are already on the do not call list, the police can possibly call the number back and tell them to shove it. Also, get as much information on the company/people you are talking to, etc, that way they'll have more information to go on.

OR, you might be able to contact your phone company to get their number blocked. I know some phone companies can block a number before it even gets to your house so your phone won't even ring. Another option is to answer the phone, and tell the person on the other end that you just moved into a new apartment and just got the phone number so they are probably looking for the person who had the phone number before you.

[quote name='MisterModest']When they call, always and everytime, try to have phonesex with them. It works.[/QUOTE]

so what do you do when one of them agrees to phone sex?

Sounds like it's not actually the telemarketing group but a collection agency that "bought" your debt. Usually when debts go uncollected they are sold for $.xx on the dollar to someone. So that person is going to harass you as much as they can to get "their" money.

[quote name='DV8']Sounds like it's not actually the telemarketing group but a collection agency that "bought" your debt. Usually when debts go uncollected they are sold for $.xx on the dollar to someone. So that person is going to harass you as much as they can to get "their" money.[/QUOTE]

It sounds more like a fraudulent company that has a list of phone numbers that is calling them one by one, until it gets someone that doesn't immediately hang up, then it harasses them until they believe they truly do owe money and pay them.

Well I read through the complaints and it seems that there is one common thing among all the people who have this problem: they all subscribe to Maxim. I had emailed Maxim and they sent me a reply saying that they were going to remove my name from the list that they provide to other companies. So it seems that Maxim itself is selling their subscriber's information to telemarketers, which are doing whatever they want with the information. And yea, this doesn't sound like a debt collection agency. If it was, they would not have just hung up on me when I refused to pay and would have sent something written by now.

Dont forget you can go to the ff's website and report them. Ive done that numerous times.

If you hit google and search for no call list you can get put on national no call list for most scams. IT wont cover them all and youll still get places calling you saying "We dont want your money" as the first line, but it should cut back on them some.

[quote name='Cracka']If you don't know the number just don't answer. I have to believe at some point after calling a number and never getting an answer they'd eventually stop[/QUOTE]

They wont stop because it isnt a person sitting there dialing the number. A computer dials numbers and when someone picks up it transfers it to a person.

bread's done
Back