has anyone gotten MVP baseball for PSP

spin03

CAGiversary!
i am really interested in this game (have it paid for). play gave it an 8.5, and i just want some impressions. anyone pick it up yet? if it gets good impressions/reviews, ill pick it up

Gamefaqs is saying there is some framerate issues, while other people are saying there is no problem with the framerate.

I won't have it in my hands till this weekend, possibly Monday or Tuesday of next week, then I'll post impressions.

Edit: Update: Looks like some MVP games have a glitch of sorts, and some doesn't. Some people have reported their PSP run MVP at a consistant frame rate and have no trouble hitting the ball and what not, others are reporting the frame rate bogs down seriously. No one has figured out if some of the games that were shipped are bugged, if its your psp, or its only at certain stadiums/versus certain pitchers. I'll keep everyone informed about this when I get the game.

you should take a look at the gamefaq message boards for both mvp and mlb -- it looks like a fairly split vote with maybe a slight edge to mlb imo

Hmm...I was holding outon MLB to say what MVP had to offer...I can't stand gamefaq fanboys because it's almost impossible to get an honest answer.

When someone picks it up, please share the lowdown.

I Got both games and I played more mlb then mvp baseball so mlb is the better game but mvp baseball has the homerun contest

if anyone is looking to buy this game i have it for 47shipped

[quote name='Matt Young']How in God's name can they charge $50 for this game when the console version was released at $29.99?[/QUOTE]

I'll tell you how. Because they were competing with MLB 2K5 on the PS2
(which was 20 bucks). On the PSP, they don't have any "real" competition.

[quote name='gmzone']I'll tell you how. Because they were competing with MLB 2K5 on the PS2
(which was 20 bucks). On the PSP, they don't have any "real" competition.[/QUOTE]

That and isn't this going to be the final MVP? Or does the exclusivity only run on consoles and not handhelds?

[quote name='Matt Young']How in God's name can they charge $50 for this game when the console version was released at $29.99?[/QUOTE]

well, it's mainly because it's EA, all their games warrant the $50 price tag.

Finally got the game today, I used my $20 voucher towards it on EB games.

The Pros
+ The controls (once u play a few games to get use to them) are the same as the console versions
+ Full voice over
+ Same batter animation and what not of the console versions
+ Both batting and pitching take awhile to get use to, but after a few games It's pretty much the same as the console version. Same pitching meter, same batting feel
+ Load time isn't bad at all outside of replays
+ While the graphics aren't sharp, they are about the same as the console versions
+ If you enjoyed the console versions you'll enjoy the PSP version
+ Last MVP baseball game in existance? Does baseball exclusivity run on handhelds to?
+ The gameplay is just excellent and compliments It's console brother.

Bottom PRO line: If you enjoy the MVP console versions, you'll most likely enjoy MVP PSP.

Now for the bad stuff...

- The framerate is alittle off, it takes awhile to get use to. It seems like the pitching frames were cutdown but in reality you can accurately guess where the pitch is going once you get use to this.
- The pocket trax are lame, you can't use your own MP3s, your stuck with the lame MVP 2005 traxs
- Fielding is rather difficult to get use to (robbing homers and what not) because of the off framerate, and It's harder to see the ball on such a small screen
- No minor leagues, whatsoever. Cover is very misleading, you've been warned.
- No Dynasty Mode, but who the hell is gonna play dynasty on a handheld?
- No online
- Graphics aren't as sharp as the console versions, but they do get the job done.
- Theres also apparently a freeze bug/glitch during some peoples seasons modes, but I've yet to encounter this
- Crowd is kinda lame and loops
- Takes two seconds for replays to be loaded then played. Annoying if you want frequent replays, but I have it on low just to replay the homers.
- No hitters eye
- It's $50

Bottom line for the Cons - Lots of minor things taken away, outside of the framerate which proves EA didn't put enough time into and/or the PSP isn't capable of handling PS2 games at full speed. Also $50 is a hefty price for the game. If the freezing does exist then that can be some very bad news but I can't confirm it myself yet, people say it freezes during season sometimes when the computer subs their pitcher.

Yeah, alot of things missing from the console version, but if you can deal with the cons It's a pretty good game. Easily worth $30 for any baseball fan, but EA is stealing your money at $50.

Also, I have not played MLB for the PSP, so I can't compare this game to that, but from what I heard most people are splitt on the games, with a very slight edge to MVP.

My verdict: Right now I'd give it a flat 8, a high 7 if I encounter further problems. It's not worth $50 eitherway, and I've yet to play a PSP game that is worth that money. Then again I didn't pay $50 for this game either, I used my $20 EBgames gift voucher from Syphon Filter (which I sold and lost nothing on). It's worth $30.

I bought this on release day. I've played probably every day since.

First of all, let me say that this is a really good handheld game.

I have, however, run into a snag. In my season, I've had to restart 3 games due to the game freezing. It always happened in the 7th inning when the computer would sub in a pitcher for a PH. The good thing about the game is that you can save your game at any point during the game, and come back to it later. I routinely save the game after the 5th inning.

Bottom line, the freezing DOES happen. I am speaking from personal experience. I still love the game though.

[quote name='Derwood43']I bought this on release day. I've played probably every day since.

First of all, let me say that this is a really good handheld game.

I have, however, run into a snag. In my season, I've had to restart 3 games due to the game freezing. It always happened in the 7th inning when the computer would sub in a pitcher for a PH. The good thing about the game is that you can save your game at any point during the game, and come back to it later. I routinely save the game after the 5th inning.

Bottom line, the freezing DOES happen. I am speaking from personal experience. I still love the game though.[/QUOTE]

That fucking blows, but thank god for the save feature or the season would be ruined. I too am really enjoying this game, and I'd like to hear more opinions of people who have played this and MLB, and see what they think of both.

My only unanswered question about the game is battery life, I've yet to personally test it and I hope It's 7 hours.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']That fucking blows, but thank god for the save feature or the season would be ruined. I too am really enjoying this game, and I'd like to hear more opinions of people who have played this and MLB, and see what they think of both.

My only unanswered question about the game is battery life, I've yet to personally test it and I hope It's 7 hours.[/QUOTE]

The battery life depends totally on what functions are running. If you have the screen set on the lowest setting, with the volume down, you'll get 7 hours of game time. Movies tend to drag the life down, by what I guesstimate as more intense screens. The battery life has been better than I anticipated.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Finally got the game today, I used my $20 voucher towards it on EB games.

The Pros
+ The controls (once u play a few games to get use to them) are the same as the console versions
+ Full voice over
+ Same batter animation and what not of the console versions
+ Both batting and pitching take awhile to get use to, but after a few games It's pretty much the same as the console version. Same pitching meter, same batting feel
+ Load time isn't bad at all outside of replays
+ While the graphics aren't sharp, they are about the same as the console versions
+ If you enjoyed the console versions you'll enjoy the PSP version
+ Last MVP baseball game in existance? Does baseball exclusivity run on handhelds to?
+ The gameplay is just excellent and compliments It's console brother.

Bottom PRO line: If you enjoy the MVP console versions, you'll most likely enjoy MVP PSP.

Now for the bad stuff...

- The framerate is alittle off, it takes awhile to get use to. It seems like the pitching frames were cutdown but in reality you can accurately guess where the pitch is going once you get use to this.
- The pocket trax are lame, you can't use your own MP3s, your stuck with the lame MVP 2005 traxs
- Fielding is rather difficult to get use to (robbing homers and what not) because of the off framerate, and It's harder to see the ball on such a small screen
- No minor leagues, whatsoever. Cover is very misleading, you've been warned.
- No Dynasty Mode, but who the hell is gonna play dynasty on a handheld?
- No online
- Graphics aren't as sharp as the console versions, but they do get the job done.
- Theres also apparently a freeze bug/glitch during some peoples seasons modes, but I've yet to encounter this
- Crowd is kinda lame and loops
- Takes two seconds for replays to be loaded then played. Annoying if you want frequent replays, but I have it on low just to replay the homers.
- No hitters eye
- It's $50

Bottom line for the Cons - Lots of minor things taken away, outside of the framerate which proves EA didn't put enough time into and/or the PSP isn't capable of handling PS2 games at full speed. Also $50 is a hefty price for the game. If the freezing does exist then that can be some very bad news but I can't confirm it myself yet, people say it freezes during season sometimes when the computer subs their pitcher.

Yeah, alot of things missing from the console version, but if you can deal with the cons It's a pretty good game. Easily worth $30 for any baseball fan, but EA is stealing your money at $50.

Also, I have not played MLB for the PSP, so I can't compare this game to that, but from what I heard most people are splitt on the games, with a very slight edge to MVP.

My verdict: Right now I'd give it a flat 8, a high 7 if I encounter further problems. It's not worth $50 eitherway, and I've yet to play a PSP game that is worth that money. Then again I didn't pay $50 for this game either, I used my $20 EBgames gift voucher from Syphon Filter (which I sold and lost nothing on). It's worth $30.[/QUOTE]

I appreciate the detailed review, no one's got one up yet. I guess I'll keep it; I picked it up for $30 with the TRU coupons.

[quote name='cleaver']I appreciate the detailed review, no one's got one up yet. I guess I'll keep it; I picked it up for $30 with the TRU coupons.[/QUOTE]

No problem.

I've played further some more of the game and It has stayed even more true to It's console brother, and I've enjoyed quite a bit of the game so far. Still no freezes (yet) during exhibition play, but I won't be starting my season till tomorrow, so can't comment on that.

A friend of mine (Mafia) played the game at 50% volume and second highest brightness and it seemed like he only drained 10% of the battery during his play, so it does seem the battery will last slightly over 7 hours with MVP 2005, which is enough for 3-4 fairly long games for me.

[quote name='starmask2k3']if anyone is looking to buy this game i have it for 47shipped[/QUOTE]

Guess someone doesn't like it. :)

Btw $47 is his opening price, if you PM him an offer of say, 37 shipped, he'll probably take it.

I've played 5 season games and 4 exhibition games and no freezes yet, atleast outside of the replay freezes where the game pauses for 1.5 seconds, and the same with pitcher subs and inning changes.

So far a very good game, I'm liking it more and more as the days past by since it so closely resembles the console version.

The only thing I could have wished for now was online play.

bread's done
Back