Has anyone here ever been sold a bootleg on Ebay?

Squall835

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
I bought a copy of Doctor Who: The Complete Fourth Series off of Ebay earlier this week and when it arrived today it turned out to be a bootleg. I already contacted the seller, but if anyone here has been in this situation before, I could gladly use your advice. Thanks.

there was a thread talking about bootleg ds games a week or 2 ago, someone said evan sellers on amazon or selling them.
i did get a bootleg mario kart, i thought it was region lock because it said i couldn't play it on my dsi, but it worked on my ds. i ended up just giving it to my sister and she has no problem with it so i guess no harm done. however that was and is my last ds game to be bough from ebay.

I once bought a bootleg dvd on ebay, I messaged him on ebay and he was quick to give me my money back. Do you have the link to the item and/or description of the item? Maybe we can get a little more insight to the situation. If worse comes to worse, just open up a dispute and contact PayPal.

i got 4 ds bootlegs

seller said they had no clue they were bootlegs even though the cart was bigger then a normal ds game and it said

made by NINTUNDO

how the hell dont you know that is a bootleg

at least spell the freaking name right LOL

i did get all my cash back

I've never gotten a bootleg personally, but my brother once got a bootleg dvd via Amazon (it was a birthday gift for me, so he had me help him with the return.)

The most important thing is not to waste time. Only give the seller 2-3 days or so to write back before you contact him again. If you don't have a good solution within a week, be ready and willing to open a dispute.

Most bootleggers are quick to issue refunds, since they usually still get postitive feedback that way, so they look better to future buyers. The nastier ones will come up with excuses to waste time so the dispute window passes- don't allow that. Pick a day you will file a dispute by if it's not 100% settled, regardless of what's going on in your communication. Write it down, and stick to it- you can always close it later when you get your refund.

Here's the link to the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190414483112&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

As for the item itself, The ISBN and UPC codes on the back of the box are actually for the third series, not the fourth. The disks also look nothing like the picture I found on Amazon, they have UK ratings labels on them. The dvds also wouldn't upscale when I tried playing them in my PS3.

Thanks for the help guys, except for darkslime, you can fuck off.

I was sold a bootleg disney dvd which was gift for a friend. Upon looking at it, they had just reprinted the cover and insert for the dvd. It was clear (at least to me) that it was a bootleg. I called the guy out on it and he said his "source" must've made a mistake. He refunded me the money and told me to keep it. Now I'm still looking for an original version of that damn beauty and the beast dvd.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']I've never gotten a bootleg personally, but my brother once got a bootleg dvd via Amazon (it was a birthday gift for me, so he had me help him with the return.)

The most important thing is not to waste time. Only give the seller 2-3 days or so to write back before you contact him again. If you don't have a good solution within a week, be ready and willing to open a dispute.

Most bootleggers are quick to issue refunds, since they usually still get postitive feedback that way, so they look better to future buyers. The nastier ones will come up with excuses to waste time so the dispute window passes- don't allow that. Pick a day you will file a dispute by if it's not 100% settled, regardless of what's going on in your communication. Write it down, and stick to it- you can always close it later when you get your refund.[/QUOTE]
I agree with this try to contact the seller first for resolution but don't give them a long time to respond to you a few days tops then open a case. The case doesn't have to be escalated to a dispute remember that but its more likely the seller will respond to one if they don't respond to your attempts at contacting them to begin with which sometimes happens. Then you can always cancel the case if they resolve favorably or escalate it to a claim if they don't respond at all.

I received a bootleg DVD once from an Ebay seller, who turned out to be purposely selling bootleg DVD's and offered me a refund right away once I told him I wasn't aware of that. He was even advertising in his posting that they were legit retail copies and not bootlegs, but apparently had a sort of fanbase among Ebay buyers who always bought from him.

But anyway yea, as others have said just give the guy a couple of days to respond back to you and if you hear nothing from him just open a case.

[quote name='Squall835']except for darkslime, you can fuck off.[/QUOTE]

This shit needs to be stickied in every forum.

I've purposely bought bootlegs on eBay before (what can I say? It was the only way I could get Pete and Pete Season 3). Like other posters have mentioned, eBay sellers who deal in bootlegs will be quick to give a refund as they can't afford to get a negative.

Am I the only one who thinks that the DVD set the OP received might have been one from the UK, hence the UK rating labels on it.

What's funny is when I researched a bit, Amazon.co.uk has up a fourth series dvd set....imported from the US.#-o

Only once, and it was unintentional. Got a full refund and got to keep the fake game to use as a preference to compare with future possible bootlegs.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Am I the only one who thinks that the DVD set the OP received might have been one from the UK, hence the UK rating labels on it.

What's funny is when I researched a bit, Amazon.co.uk has up a fourth series dvd set....imported from the US.#-o[/QUOTE]

It's not a UK set; if it was, it wouldn't play in my PS3. Beyond that, the UPC code on it is actually for series three, not four.

[quote name='darkslime']no because i'm not a fucktard[/QUOTE]

dude! I have seen people banned from the site or less than that....

LOL.

[quote name='crr_1119']Isn't the Playstation 3 region free though? But either way, that wouldn't explain the UPC code mix-up.[/QUOTE]

For games it is, not DVDs.

[quote name='georox']Quote:
Originally Posted by Squall835
except for darkslime, you can off.

This shit needs to be stickied in every forum.[/QUOTE]

Am I the only one that remembers when he was a CAG NOOB? lol now he wears the pants around here.

[quote name='Sinnbox']Am I the only one that remembers when he was a CAG NOOB? lol now he wears the pants around here.[/QUOTE]
I wear pants.

Some times.

[quote name='Squall835']For games it is, not DVDs.[/QUOTE]

Ah really? I wasn't aware of that. I just always assumed it was region free for both.

I've only bought bootleg anime box sets off ebay, on purpose. This was back when having broadband internet in your are was still semi rare, fan subs weren't wide spread, and the shows were still years off of being licensed here. They were very obviously boot legs. I don't think I have ever bought anything "real" off of ebay.

[quote name='dorino']I wear pants.

Some times.[/QUOTE]

you never know who CAG's in pants and who logs on pant-less... but you can always dream about it....

If you've bought x items on ebay/other sites, you've bought a boot. I've had the pleasure of receiving dozens of bootcunts of the following:

GameBoy
GameBoy Color
Gameboy Advance
SNES
Nintendo DS
PCBs/EPROMs
Other arcade x 496,865, boards and components

and more. I've dealt with the sellers sternly, no bootlegs are being sold to me and if the seller is giving you the 'uhhh/oooh/urgh', don't take it. Report them and report your bootleg game to the proper authority.

bread's done
Back