Has anyone modified the XBOX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Poodleman']What size hard drive would you recommend and are there any compatability problems?

thanks[/quote]

My freind has a 280 gig in his. He watches mvies with it and just keeps the games on the hd. he barely uses discs.

[quote name='6669']Ask Dragonlordfrodo.[/quote]

Lol I was just about to say that.

And I don't think we should be talking about modifies Xbox's on CAG when we were on DLF's tail about having one. Hypocrisy.

Lock, please.

[quote name='sj41']This should not be talked about on CAG. Please lock, mods.[/quote]

idk if this has to be locked so fast.... is it illegal to mod or just illegal to play illegal copies of games?

[quote name='StealthySeal'][quote name='sj41']This should not be talked about on CAG. Please lock, mods.[/quote]

idk if this has to be locked so fast.... is it illegal to mod or just illegal to play illegal copies of games?[/quote]

I've heard mixed answers regarding both of your questions. I'm actually not sure anymore.

[quote name='Moxio'][quote name='StealthySeal'][quote name='sj41']This should not be talked about on CAG. Please lock, mods.[/quote]

idk if this has to be locked so fast.... is it illegal to mod or just illegal to play illegal copies of games?[/quote]

I've heard mixed answers regarding both of your questions. I'm actually not sure anymore.[/quote]According to copyright law, I believe you are not allowed to change the inside of this machine. Atleast that's what I heard from someone on the CAG boards.

Skins however, are perfectly legal. :wink:

[quote name='StealthySeal'][quote name='sj41']This should not be talked about on CAG. Please lock, mods.[/quote]

its illegal to mod for any reason.

There's nothing illegal about modding the Xbox. If you paid for it it's YOUR Xbox you can do what you want with it. Making back ups of the games you paid for is legal also.

No, making copies of games you own is not legal, because there is no legal method to bypass the copyright protection that is placed on the disks.

While the Fair use clause allows for archival copies, the DMCA forbids the circumvention of copyright protections.

I 'modded' my Xbox with a platinum skin. :)

As for copyrights, I'm calling shenanigans on that. You are buying a piece of hardware, which you are allowed to shaq-fu around with to your heart's content.

It is when you start copying games you may or may not own that those copyrights rear their ugly heads. Modding the Xbox is just that, modifying the system like you would a computer. It doesn't necessarily mean you're going to pirate so I don't see why it would merit locking or ostracizing the OP.

[quote name='JSweeney']No, making copies of games you own is not legal, because there is no legal method to bypass the copyright protection that is placed on the disks.[/quote]

actually it is legal to backup your games movies music etc one backup copy for legal use. however it is illegal to break the copy protection on the discs. so that makes this gray area where it is illegal and legal at the same time. bascilly what JS said.

from what i know i believe its legal to mod your xbox but it depends what you put on it, its Legal to buy modchips but you have to flash the modchips yourself because the software your flashing to the xbox is illegal, its legal to put linux on the xbox also, but as far as games, thats illegal because inorder to put the games on the harddrive you have to either use a softmod (no modchip) or use the modchip and flash it. any other questions before this is locked?

[quote name='BITADE']So you guy are saying if you change your OS or add more memory to your computer that must be illegal also[/quote]

Paging JSweeney... JSweeney, you are needed in the blind ignorance department...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back