Has anyone played Moria or Angband?

Drtyazn

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Just wondering how many CAGs started near or at the beginning of RPGs. I've played both, though I never finished either. I know the Ultima series stared around the same time too, but I can't remember which came first.

[quote name='Animefalcon']I know it could run on a x86 CPU
so im guesing 1983/1982?
but Ultima first came out on the Apple II.[/QUOTE]

I remember playing Moria around '85, 86', I guess I played Ultima around the same time too. There's not a whole lot of RPGs that have the depth of those two. A lot of eye candy, but I feel some of the true adventure has been lost.

I started playing RPGs a few years after they really started appearing. It was around 1984-85 when I got my first computer, an Apple II clone. Shortly later I got an Amiga 500, on which I played Bard's Tale so much any one of my characters was basically invulnerable. Another few years after that my first DOS-based PC. I was hooked on RPGs instantly when I first played Bard's Tale 1, Ultima 4, and Demon's Winter and ever since have bought RPGs whenever I get the chance and also have gone and obtained older copies to play those that came before me. Now that I am an adult with a regular job I have more than I could ever hope to play through, but that doesn't stop me from buying every one that comes out.

Remember back when CDs were first becoming a standard computer media and they were releasing all sorts of great "classics" RPG packs? That was a time when you could get every Ultima, Wizardry, the AD&D Gold Box games, M&M and plenty of others in multi-packs for dirt cheap. I have not seen a good multi-pack like that in years. I still keep old laptops around running DOS and Win95 so I can play those things with no trouble.

[quote name='crowbb']I started playing RPGs a few years after they really started appearing. It was around 1984-85 when I got my first computer, an Apple II clone. Shortly later I got an Amiga 500, on which I played Bard's Tale so much any one of my characters was basically invulnerable. Another few years after that my first DOS-based PC. I was hooked on RPGs instantly when I first played Bard's Tale 1, Ultima 4, and Demon's Winter and ever since have bought RPGs whenever I get the chance and also have gone and obtained older copies to play those that came before me. Now that I am an adult with a regular job I have more than I could ever hope to play through, but that doesn't stop me from buying every one that comes out.

Remember back when CDs were first becoming a standard computer media and they were releasing all sorts of great "classics" RPG packs? That was a time when you could get every Ultima, Wizardry, the AD&D Gold Box games, M&M and plenty of others in multi-packs for dirt cheap. I have not seen a good multi-pack like that in years. I still keep old laptops around running DOS and Win95 so I can play those things with no trouble.[/QUOTE]

Kinda funny to look back now, and say how bad it was in today's standards... I played most of the games you listed too, I had an Apple IIe for a while, until it died.. I must have overworked it. The clone I got lasted up until two years ago... I still have a bunch of games on diskettes. I had a friend with a TI 80, and a commodore 64 with a tape drive.

Yeah, I had a C64 too but didn't get it until the company was long dead. I actually burnt out the fuse in the power supply on that thing many times. I just kept replacing it with one from Radio Shack. Oh yeah and my Apple clone had a green screen of all things. Try playing a modern game on a monitor like that! Heh.

[quote name='Drtyazn']Kinda funny to look back now, and say how bad it was in today's standards... I played most of the games you listed too, I had an Apple IIe for a while, until it died.. I must have overworked it. The clone I got lasted up until two years ago... I still have a bunch of games on diskettes. I had a friend with a TI 80, and a commodore 64 with a tape drive.[/QUOTE]

Anyone who wants to give Angband or a variant a try here's the site to check it/them out. http://www.thangorodrim.net/

It's fun to try and play it w/o cheating... you die a lot, but if you can get over the graphics, the gameplay is still pretty fun. It also helps make it interesting if you are into lord of the rings.

I was really into Dungeon Crawlers when I was a kid and it must be why I can play them to this day. I played a lot of Moria but never Angband so I'm excited to try out the link you gave me. Thanks!

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I was really into Dungeon Crawlers when I was a kid and it must be why I can play them to this day. I played a lot of Moria but never Angband so I'm excited to try out the link you gave me. Thanks![/QUOTE]

The best part is that it's free, and people care constantly updating the variants. I've played Zangband, and Pernangband. I like some of the twists they have. I've had the best luck with the high-elf race, and I have two classes, one a ranger, and one a demonologist.

bread's done
Back