Has anyone replaced their DS case?

It most likely won't be the same quality, but there's no reason to buy it from eBay.

Check out www.dealextreme.com for all kinds of NDSLite housing (be sure to include the N, that's how they usually list DS stuff)

http://www.dealextreme.com/search.dx/search.nds%20lite%20housing

They have just about every color scheme possible, including clear colors and Zelda, TWEWY, and all the standard issued ones. The quality will vary depending on actual style you choose, but most of them have plenty of comments you can read to get a feel of which one is a good one to get.

Here's the Zelda one on DX, $18.06 shipped:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13869

Overall great reviews other than ease of use (which would be installation for this), but might not be as shiny as your original Zelda casing.

I've never done it. Always wanted to replace my case with something amusing, like the Pokemon Center Pikachu version. From what I've read, it's so complicated.

Its a lot more complicated than it seems and the main concern is common with everyone. There is a very thin and fragile wire that connects the top and buttom halves. It is easily broken and many have killed their DS in attempt to change the shell. You can however find youtube videos that go step by step.

I've considered changing my shell a few times, due to hinge crack and shoulder button discoloration from jean pockets. I could just never pulled the trigger since the good quality cases (Shock cases) are like $30, you could buy a game instead. I've seen them in person though, really nice.

I replaced a DS Phat case since the DS I traded for on CAG had a broken hinge. The replacement case might seem identical when looking at pictures but it isn't quite identical. The overall quality of the plastic is 95% the same but the pieces and edges aren't cut as well as the original.

I needed to sand down some of the edges of the buttons to make them fit. I also had to reuse the shoulder buttons from the original Phat since the replacement shoulder buttons were such a tight fit that they would get stuck. I also had to reuse the entire bottom of the lower part of the DS since the replacement didn't fit the components as well.

With that being said, the actual process wasn't that difficult but be sure to do tons of research on replacement guides and label every screw and component that you remove. Upon completion, my new Graphite DS looked very nice and just like the real thing. It even came with a Nintendo sticker that goes on top as well as the serial number sticker for the bottom. Both weren't the exact quality as the Nintendo originals but it was good enough.

bread's done
Back