Hauppauge 1445 HD-PVR Gaming Edition for $159.99 + FS @ Newegg

[quote name='oscargrouch']I'd still pass after the 1212 debacle. Don't trust Hauppauge at this point.[/QUOTE]

Care to give us a brief summary of the debacle?

I picked up their PCIe Collossus card and it works fairly well. My only problem is that I prefer to use the video editing software virtualdub, but that doesn't read hauppage's TS files. This unit posted by the the OP is pretty decent - quality is nice, but like all these capture devices, you can only record UNENCRYPTED 1080P signals (otherwise you have to use component video).

If anyone else is looking for a card to record game or tv stuff, I have the AVerMedia AVerTV HD DVR for sale ($60, PM me if interested).

[quote name='Darkprime']This unit posted by the the OP is pretty decent - quality is nice, but like all these capture devices, you can only record UNENCRYPTED 1080P signals (otherwise you have to use component video).[/QUOTE]

Not sure what you mean, "otherwise." I thought component video was the only HD option for the 1445.

Thank you for posting. This is the lowest price I'v ever seen Combined with the google offer, it's an excellent price. But I just haven't decide I actually need it.

[quote name='gantt']Care to give us a brief summary of the debacle?[/QUOTE]

The 1212 was notorious for being DOA. I tried 4 different units with several different computers and they all were dead. I wasn't the only person with this issue. Amazon pulled the product for a while, and Hauppauge supposedly resolved the issues and released a new revision which still didn't work.

I love my Hauppauge HD-PVR! if you want a 720P/1080i recording solution, I wouldn't hesitate recommending this at all.

The video it spits out is also very easy to edit. I use VideoReDo TV Suite and Adobe Premiere.

The quality is fantastic. You do need to use component though so if you don't have the 360 component cable, pick up a used one at Gamestop for $10 or buy a new one. Don't buy imitation third party cables people. Some things you want to be cheap, some things not.

Also, this will record 5.1 audio as well (use the SPDIF optical port).

[quote name='foreinter']Thank you for posting. This is the lowest price I'v ever seen Combined with the google offer, it's an excellent price. But I just haven't decide I actually need it.[/QUOTE]

What's the google offer?

[quote name='oscargrouch']The 1212 was notorious for being DOA. I tried 4 different units with several different computers and they all were dead. I wasn't the only person with this issue. Amazon pulled the product for a while, and Hauppauge supposedly resolved the issues and released a new revision which still didn't work.[/QUOTE]

Notorious seems a bit of a stretch. Have had my 1212 for years now with no issues. At the time I bought it I don't recall hearing any widespread problems from others either.

If you guys have around $200, the best capture card on the market is Blackmagic Intensity Pro alongside with Intensity Shuttle (Picky USB 3.0 support).

These capture cards allow you to use HDMI for gaming (not PS3 due to HDCP), component and even composite. Now to mention it's better than HD PVR in picture quality. It can output any format via its HDMI output port.

I have this HDPVR. Really have no qualms with it. It does its job and does it well. It also is an external card so you don't have to have a desktop in order to use it. It also only requires usb 3.0, whereas the alternatives are moving toward usb 3.0 (and having quite a few compatibility issues) I picked it up for about 170~ off amazon a few months ago.

[quote name='Minions']I have this HDPVR. Really have no qualms with it. It does its job and does it well. It also is an external card so you don't have to have a desktop in order to use it. It also only requires usb 3.0, whereas the alternatives are moving toward usb 3.0 (and having quite a few compatibility issues) I picked it up for about 170~ off amazon a few months ago.[/QUOTE]

yes, that's one of the advantages of the HD-PVR. I use my notebook as the recording device. Plus, since the CPU work is being done by the HD-PVR rather than your PC, you don't need a powerful PC to get it to go.

also note that the preview of the video you are recording is only a preview. it's not indicative of the final video product. my notebook is an ancient POS. when I was watching the recording, the audio was not synced, the framerate was dropping. but when I went and played back the video after it was done recording, playback was pristine.

as for quality of HDMI versus component... no one can tell the difference between the 2 videos. even if you tell them which video is which, they can't tell. the only advantage with HDMI is you have 1 cable versus 4 or 5 cables.

The HDMI of the BlackMagic is cool. But an advantage of component is that you can record anything (including Netflix). HDMI is severely restricting about what you can record and it depends on how the DRM flags are set for that content.

[quote name='sherisdoppel']If you guys have around $200, the best capture card on the market is Blackmagic Intensity Pro alongside with Intensity Shuttle (Picky USB 3.0 support).

These capture cards allow you to use HDMI for gaming (not PS3 due to HDCP), component and even composite. Now to mention it's better than HD PVR in picture quality. It can output any format via its HDMI output port.[/QUOTE]

I recently upgraded my Hauppaugge HDPVR to an Intensity Pro (bought it for my gaming PC I just built three days ago) and it's awesome so far. I've only done minimal testing, but the quality is insane, recording is simple, and the files are incredibly easy to deal with in editing programs (unlike the H.264 files from my PVR...those were an absolute nightmare to edit). Files obviously get enormous in size when recording HDMI 720p at 60fps, but that's what extra HDDs are for ;) The HDMI is great for Xbox, Component for everything else (included breakout cable is nice).
I'd definitely recommend it over a PVR if you can use it with your PC. Definitely going to try and sell my Hauppaugge ASAP.

[quote name='dirtyvu']yes, that's one of the advantages of the HD-PVR. I use my notebook as the recording device. Plus, since the CPU work is being done by the HD-PVR rather than your PC, you don't need a powerful PC to get it to go.

also note that the preview of the video you are recording is only a preview. it's not indicative of the final video product. my notebook is an ancient POS. when I was watching the recording, the audio was not synced, the framerate was dropping. but when I went and played back the video after it was done recording, playback was pristine.

as for quality of HDMI versus component... no one can tell the difference between the 2 videos. even if you tell them which video is which, they can't tell. the only advantage with HDMI is you have 1 cable versus 4 or 5 cables.

The HDMI of the BlackMagic is cool. But an advantage of component is that you can record anything (including Netflix). HDMI is severely restricting about what you can record and it depends on how the DRM flags are set for that content.[/QUOTE]

HDMI vs. Component isn't the problem here. Intensity Pro supports 4:2:2 chroma subsampling while HD PVR technically doesn't.
Intensity Pro does support component. Additionally, it's also capable of capturing up to 1080p24.
The quality difference can DEFINITELY be told. I've had the HD PVR and I know for a fact that the Intensity Pro does look way better on both encoding a same video footage on a same setting, lossless (--qr 0) local recording.

The only reason to go for the HD PVR is when you only have a laptop or a less powerful PC.
After that recent update on Xsplit, one of the best live streaming software, HD PVR is now also supported so it's not an inferior card by a lot like it was before. It's a very decent device. Not bad at all.

I was just putting an additional information about a better card if you are looking for a capture card and has extra $30 to spend on it.

When you say 1080p24 I'm assuming you are talking about the shuttle right? Unless there is some fw update to the Pro I don't know about I thought it was capped at 1080i30. IMO the Shuttle is the biggest piece of crap ever.

If you are recording any HD content you need to invest in a couple 2-3TB drives for scratch disks.

[quote name='Outinthedark']When you say 1080p24 I'm assuming you are talking about the shuttle right? Unless there is some fw update to the Pro I don't know about I thought it was capped at 1080i30. IMO the Shuttle is the biggest piece of crap ever.

If you are recording any HD content you need to invest in a couple 2-3TB drives for scratch disks.[/QUOTE]

1080p24 is available for the Intensity Pro.
Intensity Pro, I believe, got an update mid-July this year with some features including 480p support through HDMI. This allowed people to finally capture Wii on 480p with an HDMI adapter.

Shuttle itself is great if you have a PC that supports it.
I have a P68 motherboard since I needed my processor i7 2600K installed on it, but Shuttle requires an older series of motherboards which are x58 based.

Wow I didn't know that. Though still can't capture the 360 1080p isn't it 60fps? I gotta try this lol

In Media Express I see 1080p in various fps PAL, NTSC, Film standards etc. but I'm actually not finding the 480p settings.

The shuttle also is "supported" on P55 mobos via outdated PCIe USB 3.0 cards. None of them exist retail/online anymore and the Shuttle is essientially a paperweight without a build specifically dedicated to x58. Poor design and poor support. They've already moved on to Thunderbolt now.

I've been looking into hauppauge for a year or so was asking for it for christmas. I use my PS3 and 360 through HDMI. Does it take HDMI, I don't see it in the pictures they display on amazon and what not.

What would be the best option for me since i have both systems and use HDMI?

[quote name='KMunley']I've been looking into hauppauge for a year or so was asking for it for christmas. I use my PS3 and 360 through HDMI. Does it take HDMI, I don't see it in the pictures they display on amazon and what not.

What would be the best option for me since i have both systems and use HDMI?[/QUOTE]

It does not have HDMI input. However there are HDMI > Component converters you can get for around $40-$50 that will do the job.

Thanks op. Been looking to get a HD PVR to stream our local SF tournaments for awhile now. This is the best price I've seen on it yet. To anyone with question about it video quality it will not record more than 1080i as it only takes component. If you want true 1080p than you're going to have to spend $300+. Going to deposit some money today and buy this haha.

I feel that for the price, why is a PC required at all? Why can't this be a standalone device like the Neuros OSD that records video directly to flash memory card or attached USB drive (or even, I think, a network drive). I don't use it much anymore since we're in an HD world and it only records composite; I'd love a replacement where I just pick up the remote, press record, and record whatever I see in HD via component.

yeah, if you want HDMI and have a good desktop PC with available expansion slots, your best choices are the BlackMagic and the Hauppauge Colossus cards.

The internal cards are actually cheaper because they're internal and depend a lot on your PC's CPU power.

The main advantage of the HD-PVR is the portability and the ability to record things like Netflix. Like I mentioned before, my 360 is not near my desktop PC and I'm not going to arrange my office, bedroom, and family room just to record stuff. If I want to record, I bring my laptop to where the 360 and TV.

It would be nice to have a standalone recorder that took even a notebook out of the equation. But cheap flash memory is soooooo slow. And good flash memory is very expensive. But considering how big these recordings are before editing, it's not worth it having a flash memory solution and recording over USB 2.0 to a hard drive sucks.

On another note, where do people upload video game videos besides Youtube? I upload to youtube but youtube compresses the crap out of things. Vimeo doesn't allow video gameplay videos.

I don't really want HDMI because of the content restrictions. Even component HD is being restricted, but that's very recent.

Both camcorders and cameras use flash memory for HD video now. I record to a

bread's done
Back