Have 2 red ringed 360s. What should I do with them?

Trusty Mutsi

CAGiversary!
Feedback
31 (100%)
Just so everyone knows, I did a search for previous topics, and couldn't find any, so I didn't just post this blindly :)

My brother in law just moved out of his apartment, and had TWO red ringed 360s in his closet (original models, I think). He asked me if I wanted them. I already have one of my own, but I figured "Why not? Gamestop takes broken ones for around $20 trade-in, right?"

Well, I checked the CAG trade-in list for hardware, and apparently Gamestop requires a controller with the system too, which I don't have. This leads to my question:

What's the best thing I can do with these systems?

Ebay? Send them to MS and hope I can make the repair money back on ebay? Some other solution I haven't thought of? Is it easy to repair a red ringed 360 myself?

Thanks for any suggestions!

I'll be watching this thread, I have three RROD Boxes. I sell a bit on ebay and I know I can't even compete with the sellers that have free shipping or else $14 UPS--and I have no idea of how they sell whole lots of them shipped at that cost, I'm pretty sure it would cost more than that to ship just one. There's some local "business" guys in my area on Craigslist that post now and then about buying broken 360s (or fixing them for marginal amts of money), but personally I'm weary of dealing with random people without any kind of safeguards and trying to conduct "business", but I know some people who've had some decent experiences over CL as well.

EDIT: Found this ep again of Bleep Boop, where the guys are going through the steps of trying to fix the RROD. Hilarious blog-show, will be sad to see it going. Love these guys, and they seem more than capable.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1913314

Last edited by a moderator:
3 RRoD consoles? That's an easy answer. You juggle them on the corner for tips and then take that money to buy a new console. You're welcome.

[quote name='Sanges99']I'll be watching this thread, I have three RROD Boxes. I sell a bit on ebay and I know I can't even compete with the sellers that have free shipping or else $14 UPS--and I have no idea of how they sell whole lots of them shipped at that cost, I'm pretty sure it would cost more than that to ship just one. There's some local "business" guys in my area on Craigslist that post now and then about buying broken 360s (or fixing them for marginal amts of money), but personally I'm weary of dealing with random people without any kind of safeguards and trying to conduct "business", but I know some people who've had some decent experiences over CL as well.

EDIT: Found this ep again of Bleep Boop, where the guys are going through the steps of trying to fix the RROD. Hilarious blog-show, will be sad to see it going. Love these guys, and they seem more than capable.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1913314[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's frustrating to see people that are able to ship for free.

I think there is a local guy who fixes them. I'll have to check that out as well.

Did the guys on Bleep Bloop fix it successfully?

Well let me say for starters definitely make sure none of them are still under warranty. Second I would say either buy a repair kit or find someone to repair them for you cheap. Then sell them to Gamestop or sell them yourself. Either you you can make a good chunk of change on them if your smart. Dont pass them off for $20...look even on classified ads...people are always looking to buy them cheap so they can make money on them. If you dont care then you might as well sell them to whoever or gamestop and make a measly $60 on all of them :p

Ebay?

Can't you sell them for like $40-50?? I've seen people mention selling them for about that.

I assume people buy them to fix and mod.

[quote name='wakawakawa']Ebay?

Can't you sell them for like $40-50?? I've seen people mention selling them for about that.

I assume people buy them to fix and mod.[/QUOTE]

And selling them "Broke AS IS" then they might go for 30-50 but usually that's with the free shipping offered, and as I said, that costs a ton of money since they're not exactly light; ie. the real costs to ship as well as paypal and ebay fees isn't even worth the hassle (might end up with $20 or probably much less when all is done).

It greatly depends on A)the market (like always), and B)what exactly is wrong. The "E74" (I think that's what it was) is a simple fix and will sell for the higher price, but the other various RROD issues don't normally sell for over $20, and that's generally with free ship or the "too-cheap-to-be-the-actual-shipping-cost" fee range.

bread's done
Back