Have a question about Klonoa on PS1 value if factory sealed?

SolidSnake86

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I'm in need of some advice...

...I recently went through storage the other day and found a copy of Klonoa: Door to Phantomile for the PS1 factory sealed. I had no clue what I had found, until my friend, who was helping me move some stuff, went nuts. I know this is a rare game, but does anyone know how much it's actually worth factory sealed?

I did some research on eBay and one guy's asking for $1,999.99 and another wants $900.00 for a sealed copy. I know that those are outrageous prices and I'm not so dumb to even consider believing that it's worth anywhere near that range. Any help could/would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks fellow CheapAssGamers!

http://www.amazon.com/Klonoa-Door-P...6P0P/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319758900&sr=8-1

Only 1 new copy on Amazon and only sold by amazon.com

I'd say that's a more reasonable price gauge. probably could EVENTUALLY sell it for a 200 price range. If its the only copy on ebay... you could list it for a while for whatever price you damn well please and see if anyone wants it for those stupid prices. Some international buyers will pay whatever it takes.

[quote name='Potatoeman']Only 1 new copy on Amazon and only sold by amazon.com.[/QUOTE]
I'm seeing the seller as "younamethegame", and the price as $250.

As for eBay, do a search for the game with "Completed listings" checked. Right now, the highest sold copy went for $61.01 (used, complete). If you list it there, I would use something close to that figure (say, somewhere between $60-75) as a starting point, though I don't know what to suggest as a possible BIN price...

Thanks guys, much appreciated! It's certainly been a help.

And blueshinra...I never knew about the "Completed listings" option of eBay, but wow! That's awesome! Wish I had known about this feature earlier. Thanks!

[quote name='Rodimus']I wonder if the Wii remake has any effect on the value of the PS1 version.[/QUOTE]

Not much that I know of; the original is so difficult to find it's not like you have that many people dumping their ps1 versions in favor of the Wii reprints. Collectors will slurp up the originals and they won't come back out again.

^ True, some collectors buy stuff just to buy it for the rarity. I was happy when the remake came out. I always wanted to play the orginal Klonoa since I loved the second one on the PS2. Both are fun platformers that still hold up.

[quote name='Rodimus']^ True, some collectors buy stuff just to buy it for the rarity. I was happy when the remake came out. I always wanted to play the orginal Klonoa since I loved the second one on the PS2. Both are fun platformers that still hold up.[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed the original as well, at first I thought it was going to be a kiddy game but the "into-the-background" level rotation was well-done; it definitely holds up in the challenge and innovation departments. Fortunately I was able to pick up the PS1 version locally for a whopping
$2
;)

[quote name='blueshinra']I'm seeing the seller as "younamethegame", and the price as $250.

As for eBay, do a search for the game with "Completed listings" checked. Right now, the highest sold copy went for $61.01 (used, complete). If you list it there, I would use something close to that figure (say, somewhere between $60-75) as a starting point, though I don't know what to suggest as a possible BIN price...[/QUOTE]

If a used one sold for $60, I wouldn't list it at $75 unless you really need the cash. can't compare a used one to a sealed one (some collectors want a sealed copy and it's probably really rare to find one). price it high and see if anyone buys it, relist if it doesn't sell. listing's free right?

[quote name='jngx80']If a used one sold for $60, I wouldn't list it at $75 unless you really need the cash. can't compare a used one to a sealed one (some collectors want a sealed copy and it's probably really rare to find one). price it high and see if anyone buys it, relist if it doesn't sell. listing's free right?[/QUOTE]
Um, I was talking about eBay (and an auction format listing, specifically), not Amazon :roll:

[quote name='blueshinra']Um, I was talking about eBay (and an auction format listing, specifically), not Amazon :roll:[/QUOTE]

I was saying that I wouldn't put it at a starting price of $75 on ebay. You're hoping for a bidding war that might not happen. This is a rare item, but maybe very few people are interested in having (referring to it being sealed). Those people will be hardcore collectors and will gladly take it for $75.

[quote name='jngx80']This is a rare item, but maybe very few people are interested in having (referring to it being sealed). Those people will be hardcore collectors and will gladly take it for $75.[/QUOTE]
Emphasis mine. Just because an item is rare, if the demand isn't there, then it's not worth as much :p However, this is still a very nice piece IMO.

What would be your estimate for its value? I just went by what information was available, and what people are obviously willing to pay for such a thing (or the closest equivalent). Putting a price tag on an item is not the same thing as selling it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='blueshinra']Um, I was talking about eBay (and an auction format listing, specifically), not Amazon :roll:[/QUOTE]

[quote name='blueshinra']Emphasis mine. Just because an item is rare, if the demand isn't there, then it's not worth as much :p However, this is still a very nice piece IMO.

What would be your estimate for its value? I just went by what information was available, and what people are obviously willing to pay for such a thing (or the closest equivalent). Putting a price tag on an item is not the same thing as selling it.[/QUOTE]

You guys must not sell on eBay a lot.

No way you should start this anywhere near $60. I would put it at the very least $100+. It cost something like $.05 to run a Buy-It-Now listing (BIN).

If you don't need money anytime soon just throw it up there with whatever price you feel comfortable letting it go for. You can even add a best offer if you'd like to see what you get for offers.

Collectors will pay several times more for a new and sealed copy of a game. If their truly are that few of these being sold on ebay and amazon then the ball is in your court.

[quote name='GBAstar']You guys must not sell on eBay a lot.[/QUOTE]
Not anymore. Once I went Amazon, I never looked back.

Also, it's a buyer's market right now, and if he needs to sell it, the opening bid should be on the low side. Personally, I would not try to sell this at all until the economy improves, or at least until PS1 collecting gets to be more of a thing.

I don't know the actual, current value of this particular item (which is what this thread is about :roll:), but I do know that it will rise in time.

Thanks guys for all the feedback, I really appreciate everyone's input! GBAstar, I forgot about eBay's "best offer" feature. That could also be a good way to go.

Along with selling this sealed copy, I've also been intrigued by this game (I've only been hearing good things about it - must have been the reason I bought it over a decade ago). I don't have a Wii, so I can't play the remake - and I don't dare open this one up, so...ironically, I may also be looking to buy one on eBay sometime down the road, maybe after I get through Arkham City and a few other backlogged games.

[quote name='blueshinra']Not anymore. Once I went Amazon, I never looked back.

Also, it's a buyer's market right now, and if he needs to sell it, the opening bid should be on the low side. Personally, I would not try to sell this at all until the economy improves, or at least until PS1 collecting gets to be more of a thing.

I don't know the actual, current value of this particular item (which is what this thread is about :roll:), but I do know that it will rise in time.[/QUOTE]

Just spotted your post after I wrote my last. That's actually a very good point. Maybe I do want to hold onto this for a little when I could get a little more for it.

[quote name='blueshinra']Emphasis mine. Just because an item is rare, if the demand isn't there, then it's not worth as much :p However, this is still a very nice piece IMO.

What would be your estimate for its value? I just went by what information was available, and what people are obviously willing to pay for such a thing (or the closest equivalent). Putting a price tag on an item is not the same thing as selling it.[/QUOTE]

For something pricy like this, I would put up an interest check thread and listen to offers. That's one way to gauge what people will pay :cool:

Personally though I think this critter would sell in an eyeblink at $100, you'd have sealed collectors looking for a discount running into high-end speculators falling backwards all over themselves. I don't think it would out-of-line to call this one of the keystones of a ps1 collection...

bread's done
Back