Have an unopened PSP, do I crack the seal?

sarausagi

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
PSP is so much more confusing than DS Lite, with so many firmware, custom firmware, homebrew, mods, I am completely clueless as to what is the best move.

My initial reaction is to straight away update to the latest firmware. I understand, that running Sony official firmware, this is what I can do

Listen to music [mp3, atrac]
Watch movies [umd, memory stick]
Play games [remote play downloads, UMD games]
View photos [memory stick]
Browse the Internet [browser]

However, I know with custom firmware I can run emulators, play homebrew, and use even more media files. However, it all seems very unclear to me. I am happy enough keeping it stock..but..

if I wanted to play PSOne games, Genesis/SNES games, and have the most file format compatibility, which firmware is the right one? I'm pretty sure I can figure out the install process myself [though I would not mind tips] but with so many options, I kind of wish I could know right now which is the most versatile, compatible firmware for official applications and unsupported applications [emu, media, etc]

Downgrade to 1.5

Upgrade to 3.10 OE-C or something. It's the latest firmware that runs homebrew AND allows you to play the latest stuff. To find out how, google for it. There's quite a few downgrading and upgrading guides out there

DO NOT upgrade to the latest Sony firmware because there is no going back. With the custom firmware it can do everything the official firmware, but allow you to use emulator from GBA to PSOne and much more

Downgrade to 1.5 first (if you just got it you probably need GTA:LCS to downgrade)

[quote name='crazytalkx']Is it possible to downgrade with a Japanese PSP?[/QUOTE]
Yes, as long as the firmware is 3.03 or below

I thought you were asking if you should open up your new/sealed PSP (perhaps you won one... I don't know.)

I was going to reply with: Hell yes! It has a good amount of excellent games despite what people tend to say.

Not sure why I posted this... but I already clicked the thread and didn't have anything other than what I already had planned. :/

I'm running the Official Firmware myself. But, I'm wondering what are the main advantages of Homebrew? I'm not really interested in the game emulators, but the multiple video format sounds great ( I Hate converting the video files :whistle2:( ). Are there any other main advantages people can think of off the top of their head?

[quote name='Shinto555']I'm running the Official Firmware myself. But, I'm wondering what are the main advantages of Homebrew? I'm not really interested in the game emulators, but the multiple video format sounds great ( I Hate converting the video files :whistle2:( ). Are there any other main advantages people can think of off the top of their head?[/quote]

Games run faster and smoother on custom firmware (off the memory stick)
- You can carry many, many games without ever having to have the actual UMD. Leave that at home.
- You can change the clock speed to help games run better
- You can run ps1 emulator, and add your entire ps1 library to the games you can play
-

I basically only use the custom firmware to run games off of the memory stick. It's so much better. I would never go back. You should open it because there are some pretty decent titles out there right now. Daxter and Syphon Filter just went GH, so they should be on the cheap ... unless you want to go the torrent route. I always buy and rip my own games to the HDD. If you can't afford games at CAG prices, then you pretty much suck.

This is probably a silly question, but to run PSP games off of the memory stick, you have to download a UMD image from the net, right? There's no way to back up UMDs on your own is there?

[quote name='icruise']This is probably a silly question, but to run PSP games off of the memory stick, you have to download a UMD image from the net, right? There's no way to back up UMDs on your own is there?[/QUOTE]
yes there is. You can copy your own game on the memory stick

How many games can you fit on a stick? Do all games work off the stick? This is the one thing that killed portable gaming for me, having you haul around 5 GBA games everywhere and fear losing them.

[quote name='help1']How many games can you fit on a stick? Do all games work off the stick? This is the one thing that killed portable gaming for me, having you haul around 5 GBA games everywhere and fear losing them.[/QUOTE]
Depend on the size of the memory stick and the size of the games. On my 2GB stick I can easily fit it 6-7 games, but some big games could also take up the whole stick. Then again if you get a R4 and DS Lite you can fit a lot more games for your space.

[quote name='icruise']But how does one do this?[/quote]

There's a ton of info out on the web on how to do this. Not sure if we're allowed to place links to other sites that are not deal related, but anyhow, pspupdates.qj.net, psp-hacks.com, maxconsole.net. All these sites have tons of info, and show you exactly how to do it.

Contrary to what some believe, having custom firmware does not mean you're a pirate that just downloads games off the web. But anyhow, that probably belongs in the shopping morality thread.

[quote name='subsidon']can you run .avi's?[/QUOTE]

I use an enconder and converter to make .mp4 files, which will let you watch movies on the PSP. It takes about 20 minutes to process roughly 600 megs on my laptop.

1.87 ghz P-M , 2 gigs of DDR2, 256 MB GeForce 6800 Ultra GO

[quote name='yukine']Damn... I need to downgrade my PSP. I'm just afraid of bricking the damn thing.[/QUOTE]
if you follow the direction carefully you shouldnt have any problem.

custom firmware also lets you run videos from the memory stick at full resolution of the screen so no more fuzzy scaled up video. i ripped a dvd and slapped it on there and it looked great. 3gp convert ftw.

[quote name='Milkyman']custom firmware also lets you run videos from the memory stick at full resolution of the screen so no more fuzzy scaled up video. i ripped a dvd and slapped it on there and it looked great. 3gp convert ftw.[/quote]

how do you rip it to full screen? just leave it at high resolution?

Open it now and don't downgrade. Homebrew on PSP is VERY stupid on not worth it. PSP has plenty of awesome games (many of which are better than stuff on DS IMO) that require firmware upgrades. Firmware isn't confusing at all.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Open it now and don't downgrade. Homebrew on PSP is VERY stupid on not worth it. PSP has plenty of awesome games (many of which are better than stuff on DS IMO) that require firmware upgrades. Firmware isn't confusing at all.[/quote]

:applause::booty::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:....whatever.

I cracked the seal: stock firmware was 2.71

I only opened one game for now: Darkstalkers Chronicles, which impressed me

1. The loading times were not bad at all, about the same as PS2

2. Graphics and sound were amazing, better than PSONe ports of these games

3. The console is so sophisticated and just screams high end...feels SO different from DS lite....and in such a good way.

I bought a 2 GB memory stick for $34 at Circuit City after a coupon, but I have not connected to a PC or online, and am not touching the firmware or putting the memory stick yet, until I decide which way I'm going

a good part of me just wants to update to the latest firmware, but the temptation to run PSOne games, copy my UMDs to memory stick, and play classics on emulators, plus the expanded video formats, is just too much.

remember with the custom firmware you are doing all the fun stuff and using the latest firmware, so it should be a no brainer.

The only thing you are doing by putting custom firmware on the PSP is using it the way it should have been designed in the first place. The load times for some games are atrocious and not having to constantly switch UMDs is a blessing. That alone was convincing enough for me to do it. The rest was just bonus.

The latest firmware is already hacked, so there is no reason to upgrade to the official version. There are no games that use 3.30 right now.

Just make sure you checkout which board your PSP is running because it makes a difference when you want to downgrade. I think you still need an older copy of GTA: LCS to downgrade a TA-082 or 086 based PSP. Read a lot of FAQs and check the forums at the various sites that people posted. If you rush ahead, then you will probably fuck it up.

[quote name='yukine']Nice. Once those go down to around $44.00, I'll finally downgrade. :lol:[/quote]

Ohh, nice. I hope by june/july memory prices plummet again.

Ugh, screen protectors never work for me. I bought a really cheap PSP Starter Kit at target [around $9 after tax] that included a car charger, a USB cable, a media/software disc, two UMD cases, a hard fabric PSP case, and a screen protector

I put on the screen protector, sealed it well, and there were NO air bubbles, I was like "YAY!" and then I put my PSP up, I take it out because I'm actually going to play it, and there's like five huge air bubbles all around the screen, I try smoothing them out and some disappear but then they just reappear on the other side..so I try to take it off..I clean the PSP screen with a polshing cloth, I make sure there's no dust [at least what I can see] on the screen protector, I put it back on and there's even MORE bubbles

after enough tries, I take it off, put the screen protector in a ziplock bag, and just play with it anyways [with screen unprotected]

So I'm wondering, if you're -really- careful, can you have a PSP without a screen protector?

You just bought the WRONG screen protector. :) Hori all the way man... I wouldn't use the PSP without one though, glare and scratches and what not but if you think you'll be extra careful with it I don't see why not.

I don't have a protector on either of my PSPs and they've been fine. I am very careful, and use a playgear pocket when taking them outside.

fun fun game

NASCAR... its just a clone of nascar 2005 for the PS2 but if you loved it its a great way to take it on the road.

I picked it up for 10 bucks used and probally already put close to 30 hours into it. (on my 7th season)

my PSP is over a year old. never had a screen protector and i leave it out in the open and its still looking fine.

[quote name='opportunity777']Just make sure you checkout which board your PSP is running because it makes a difference when you want to downgrade. I think you still need an older copy of GTA: LCS to downgrade a TA-082 or 086 based PSP. Read a lot of FAQs and check the forums at the various sites that people posted. If you rush ahead, then you will probably fuck it up.[/QUOTE]

How can you find out with board your PSP has? I've been meaning to downgrade, but I haven't been able to find enough information about the GTA: LCS thing.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Homebrew on PSP is VERY stupid on not worth it.[/quote]
I mean seriously, who the fuck wants a portable system that plays NES, SNES, Sega, PSX, TurboGrafx-16, Mame, Atari, Colecovision, Game Boy, Game Boy Advance and Game Gear games? What a waste.

[quote name='icruise']I don't have a protector on either of my PSPs and they've been fine. I am very careful, and use a playgear pocket when taking them outside.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I get smudges, but I just clean them off. It's no big deal, albeit, a bit annoying.

bread's done
Back