Have both a 360 and PS3... which system do you buy for?

Depends. I have friends with both, but my friends who have 360 play a lot more.

Now that all PS3 games have trophies, achievements become a null point.

The controller for the 360, imo, is better, so that's always a factor.

Then it comes down to the better version.

I'd say its like, 80-20 when it comes to my ratio of 360-ps3 games.

Initially PS3, than I started doing xbox360 for MP games, than just everything(Not sure why) Than started just reviewing which version is better. Now ps3 though. My xbox is about a year old and starting to go, disk drive dosnt work again. ps3 is just more reliable.

I mainly go with the 360, because I prefer the controller, and multiplayer is generally more populated. I only own 7 PS3 games, and 5 of them are exclusives (GoW Collection, inFamous, MGS4, Resistance, and R2).

I always get games for the Xbox 360, i find their online community a lot more organized and well populated. I've found it to be less buggy with developer support(see Bigs 2's awesome PS3 online mode) and less drops. It's only 25 bucks a year, so no reason not to in my opinion.

I used to get PS3 exclusive games, but at this point, I might dump Sony entirely. I understand the RROD issue, but at least MSFT stepped up and extended the warranty. The newest Sony firmware (3.15) bricked BOTH my ps3's blu-ray drives(60 and 80 backwards compatible ones) and yet they refuse to acknowledge that it's their fault. I'm not paying 300 bucks on top of the 800 i already spent when it's clearly their software that screwed things up. The Sony CS rep had the balls to tell me that both of them dying were 'isolated incidents' when they both worked right before the update and crapped out immediately after.

Not for nothing, but Microsoft did the same thing with the RRoD. Months after the console's launch, they claimed the failure rate was around 5%, which they knew was a complete lie.

They may have claimed the failure rate was much lower than it actually was, but they fixed your system for FREE when it died rather than charging you $150 bucks.

Used to be 360, until it broke.... again.

Now it's probably going to be PS3. Yea, Bayonetta may be a bit worse, but hey, guess what, I can actually play it!

And to the poster above me, yea, MS does fix them for free, but they don't really "fix" them.. they just replace the busted parts with older parts lying around, so the same problem is going to happen again, and again, and again. So I had the RROD, they are basicially throwing parts in there that are guaranteed to give me another RROD at some time, until its out of warranty and then hey, I'm screwed, I guess.

My 360 should be back Tuesday, and I know it's going to go out again by the end of the year, no doubt in my mind. So I'm not sure how many games I'm going to be buying for it knowing I will have a month or so where I can't play anything.

PS3 for console only stuff, PC if I have the choice between all three, and sadly 360 if I have no other choice. Sadly only because I really dug the system, but this is the third time it's broken, between two systerms (and this one that just broke isn't even two years old).

[quote name='ian1418']They may have claimed the failure rate was much lower than it actually was, but they fixed your system for FREE when it died rather than charging you $150 bucks.[/QUOTE]

Because they had no other choice. Don't make it sound like some kind of altruistic act on their behalf. If they didn't, they would have had a massive class action lawsuit on their hands. They are already dealing with other suits concerning it, but the mess would have been so much larger if they did not extend the warranty. They didn't do it out of the kindness of their heart. It was basically their olive branch to make peace with most individuals. They purposefully released a console that they knew was faulty.

Also, as the poster above alluded to, they don't really fix much of anything. Plenty of people have gone through three, four, five...and beyond...systems, because all Microsoft does is take your busted system, ship you someone else's busted system that they "fixed," eventually get around to fixing yours, and then ship that out to someone else. You have to remember that the system itself was designed poorly and used cheap parts, so it's like they are putting a bandaid on a bullet hole.

Prefer to buy for the PS3 but if a game is cheaper on the 360 I won't hesitate to buy that one instead. In my experience, however, 360 games tend to be cheaper or on clearance more than ps3 games. So I usually end up buying more 360 games than PS3.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']
Also, as the poster above alluded to, they don't really fix much of anything. Plenty of people have gone through three, four, five...and beyond...systems, because all Microsoft does is take your busted system, ship you someone else's busted system that they "fixed," eventually get around to fixing yours, and then ship that out to someone else. You have to remember that the system itself was designed poorly and used cheap parts, so it's like they are putting a bandaid on a bullet hole.[/QUOTE]

Yea, actually I was wrong, this will be our 4th 360 in about... two years. My bf has gone through two, mine broke shortly before we moved in together, and we are awaiting the 4th one at the moment.

I'm slowly starting to move to PS3... just took advantage of the trade 1 get 1 for $20 to convert some games to PS3, like Borderlands and Modern Warfare 2 (and used up some extra credit in the process).

The only real downside is that two PSN profiles can't be active in co-op and get trophies like you can sign in two people on the 360. But at least now I can play MW 2 multiplayer (for free, at that, as my Gold expired while my 360 was getting repaired).

usually ps3 not because of fanboydumb or anything graphics wise just because there games generally have a better resale value from them being harder to scratch.

Generally PS3 because I just personally prefer it over 360. There's not many retail games for 360 that I even want, the only things I turn it on for are AC6 and XBLA games. (Multiplayer and FPS games don't do much for me and most other games are multi-plat). If a game is clearly better for 360 or drastically cheaper, I'd go that route.

To dig a little deeper, downloadable games can be gameshared from PSN and I rarely buy a game at a store since I have a ton of goozex points to chip away from when I want something new; I have yet to receive a PS3 game (bluray) with more than fingerprint smudges on the back and I like that peace of mind when dealing with used pickups.

[quote name='animalspinners']
The only real downside is that two PSN profiles can't be active in co-op and get trophies like you can sign in two people on the 360. But at least now I can play MW 2 multiplayer (for free, at that, as my Gold expired while my 360 was getting repaired).[/QUOTE]
You mean locally? You can get trophies playing co-op on-line... Local co-ops depends, since the 2nd player is just "guest" or another user account. I don't think the 2nd player can earn trophies in the local co-op mode.

If the game has better graphics (i.e. Bayonetta 360) I go with the one with the better graphics.

However, I prefer the dual shock controller over the Xbox 360 controller, I don't know why, aiming with the dual shock sticks is just easier for me. Also, all the used PS3 games I've bought have the disc in perfect condition due to blu-ray, while xbox can have some pretty screwed up discs.

Basically if the game looks and runs the same on both systems and is the same price I always buy the PS3 version. That being said, XBox 360 games tend to run cheaper.

Definitely the PS3. Honestly, our 360 hasn't Red Ringed on us yet, and we've had it since launch *knock on wood*, but that's also because we HARDLY play it. Im not afraid to admit that Im a sony fangirl, I've always supported their systems, I've grown up with the dualshock so I prefer that over the bulky 360 controller. As far as online goes, I really don't think one is better than the other, they both have solid communities, but Im much more satisfied NOT paying to play online, and putting that extra money towards another game or BR movie.

We bought our second PS3 last year, and now my boyfriend and I can play MP games online together in the same room without one or the other hogging the system. I prefer RPG's and Action games, and with exclusive titles like Valkyria Chronicles, Demons Soul, Uncharted, GoW and the countless others released and to be released, I can't put my PS3 controller down. The only games I've kept for my 360 so far are two copies of Tales of Vesperia, a sealed regular copy, and a LE copy.

Honestly? Which ever version I can find for cheaper, in most cases. Other than that, I'll usually surf around to see if there's noticeable problems/improvements on one version, then I pick accordingly.

If the price is the same, and they both seem to be pretty even, I generally lean towards the PS3. Bigger hard drive for future DLC, it's quieter, and I don't feel like I have to sacrifice a cat to the video game gods every time I turn it on, in hopes that my system won't explode.

It really depends on if it's a multiplayer game or not. Most of my friends all have 360's and that's the system that I've owned the longest.

It's habitual at this point.

If it's made for the 360 then thats what I'll be playing it on. And reason being is the 360 has way more comfortable controllers! They just fit your hands like a glove in my opinion. And Xbox Live is way better than PSN even though they charge you for it, you get what you pay for right there. And you can install you games on the hard drive and play them from there makes less noise,abuse and gives some games a little faster load times. But to each their own right?

[quote name='captainfrizo']Unless it's a PS3 exclusive or a fighting game I always go with the 360 version.[/QUOTE]

I'm curious as to why you prefer PS3 for fighters? Both systems have good joysticks available. Do you prefer the DS3 controller, or is it the free online on PS3?

[quote name='Puffa469']I'm curious as to why you prefer PS3 for fighters? Both systems have good joysticks available. Do you prefer the DS3 controller, or is it the free online on PS3?[/QUOTE]

For me, I'm more of a D-Pad person than a stick person, and the PS3 D-Pad is leagues upon leagues better for fighters (imo). I also prefer the stick a bit more, if I were to use it.

I can use the PS3 dpad to pull off stuff that I can't / would never be able to do on the 360 d-pad. I guess my use of the D-Pad just stems from all the time I spent on the SNES with SF 2 and the like.

I usually buy the 360 version for multiplatform games because I prefer the controller (tighter, better-positioned, better-fitting analog sticks and trigger buttons with better range), admittedly like boosting my gamerscore (trophies came too late for me to care), and still see slight differences in graphics and loading that usually favor the 360 (which isn't really a fault of the PS3 but of developers).

[quote name='animalspinners']For me, I'm more of a D-Pad person than a stick person, and the PS3 D-Pad is leagues upon leagues better for fighters (imo). I also prefer the stick a bit more, if I were to use it.

I can use the PS3 dpad to pull off stuff that I can't / would never be able to do on the 360 d-pad. I guess my use of the D-Pad just stems from all the time I spent on the SNES with SF 2 and the like.[/QUOTE]

I agree the 360 d-pad is worthless, while the DS3 d-pad is pretty good.

I play fighters on the 360, but not with the regular 360 controller. I have fightsticks and fightpads for those games.

If I were forced to play fighters on the stock controllers, I would not play them on the 360.

PS3. Why?

- better dpad
- I don't have to pay for batteries or a charger
- free online
- discs are less likely to scratch so I can resell them without losing money because of their condition.

Any shooters I buy on 360 because I think the controller is much better suited for it. That being said, most of the time I just buy for whichever has the better deal.

For me, 360. For my wife, PS3. This way we can both play games and not compete over the system. Of course, exclusives might create a point of contention, but this hasn't really occured yet. (we each have a few games on the other console so if one wants to switch, the other has something to play... or fallback on an older system, handheld, book, whatever)

PS3

-Controllers have built in battery, so they are usually charged and I can play via wirelessly (my 360 play and charge kit battery doesn't last long and I usually have to play games wired).

-MS consoles have issues working for me.

-I have two PS3 consoles to play on.

-My slim PS3 uses less power than my 360 (which is an older one).

-I prefer the Dual Shock 3 controller for games.

-My PS3 is much quieter when playing games (disc drive doesn't make loud noises).

-My 360 HDD is only 20GB, compared to my PS3 HDDs being much larger.

-More friends on PS3 usually.

-Slightly care more about my trophies than achievements.

-Prefer the look of PS3 game cases.

Some games I'll buy on both platforms, like Modern Warfare 2, or if there's an advantage in 360 friends owning it. I even bought Bayonetta on PS3.

PS3, mainly because the PS3 is mine, and the 360 is the family's. The PS3 is in my room and is only ever played by me, and if I were to play the 360, I'd have to deal with my family.

Usually 360 unless the PS3 version has a better deal and is of comparative quality.

My 360 is in my room so I can play whenever, whereas the PS3 is in the living room and that TV tends to be occupied....often. Also helps that most of my friends are on the 360.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']PS3

-Controllers have built in battery, so they are usually charged and I can play via wirelessly (my 360 play and charge kit battery doesn't last long and I usually have to play games wired).

-MS consoles have issues working for me.

-I have two PS3 consoles to play on.

-My slim PS3 uses less power than my 360 (which is an older one).

-I prefer the Dual Shock 3 controller for games.

-My PS3 is much quieter when playing games (disc drive doesn't make loud noises).

-My 360 HDD is only 20GB, compared to my PS3 HDDs being much larger.

-More friends on PS3 usually.

-Slightly care more about my trophies than achievements.

-Prefer the look of PS3 game cases.

Some games I'll buy on both platforms, like Modern Warfare 2, or if there's an advantage in 360 friends owning it. I even bought Bayonetta on PS3.[/QUOTE]

My PS3 is actually a bit louder than my 360, if I install the game to the HD on the 360 of course.

Game by game basis. I want the best version of any game, so I don't tie myself down to any one system.

I have big hands so the PS3 controllers become uncomfortable after several hours of playing. Hence the majority of my games are on the Xbox 360, but I will whore myself out to who's go the better version of the product. For example Dead Rising 2 has DLC on Xbox so i got that, but Dead Space 2 has extraction on the PS3.

I do wish that either manufacturer would allow some sort of network save option as I have 2 360s and 2 PS3s and it's a pain in the ass to have them both up to date. Recovering gamertags every time i log in is a huge pain in the ass, but so is not being able to copy saves (PS3).

I don't really have a preference.
Like most people I go with what is supposed to be better.

Multi player usually ends up being 360 - but now that my core group all have PS3's that isn't a big deal any more.
Cross Game chat on 360 is nice though and I wish PS3 would add it. I hate playing a game and see'ing a friend or two online but no way to talk to them other than messaging.

I love the durability of the bluRay's over DVD format - and I don't feel that I honestly prefer one controller over the other except for liking the L2/R2 better on 360.

If I have historically gotten a game for one system i'll continue.
For Instance have Ass Creed 1 and 2 for 360, will pick up brotherhood there when I finally buy.

Final Fantasy's all on Sony Sytems since 7 - so got that for ps3.

I own both. I buy their exclusives mostly. I just got my PS3, had my Xbox 360 for over a year now.

For multi-platform games, I usually buy for the console that has a sale/cheaper on it or whoever has extra content.

I bought Assassin's Creed II on PS3 because I already had Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines and wanted to unlock the extra weapons. I bought Bioshock 2 on Xbox 360 because it was on sale at Blockbuster.

All things being equal, I'll buy the PS3 version. I've had way too many problems with my Xbox 360, so I try to avoid buying games for it. Otherwise, I'll buy the cheaper version or the one with the best content.

I prefer PS3 over my Xbox but if a game has any kind of online aspect I choose Xbox most of the time. And some series I refuse to play on Xbox just for old habits sake and vice versa with my PS3. Oh, and whether it has more than one disc is also a deciding factor. Hate to disc swap, even if I can install them all. I prefer it all on one blu-ray.

I own both systems and multiplatform games I buy for ps3 in general.

1- I like the ps3 controller better. Its more comfortable in my hands, the d-pad works great, analog sticks feel better and everything is just laid out perfect. It doesnt feel bulky or heavy either. Plus the built it battery is great. I never have to buy batteries for it or have their extra weight. When battery runs down I just plug in a cheap 10ft mini usb cable to the ps3 and play while it charges back up. After a couple years the controller still holds its charge like new. Plus the rumble feature feels better on the dualshock3, the 360 rumble feels more like a earthquake and causes a annoying vibration sound where one of the buttons rattles on the controller.

2- When I do online games I like the ps3 since its free. Ive been enjoying free online gaming on my pc for a very long time now and now I enjoy it free on my ps3. I wont pay for internet, pay for the system, pay for a game and then pay again just to play that game online. Plus Ive tried xbl and too many rude, immature, racist, homophobic, screaming, bratty kids and adults on there I dont want to pay to listen to their mouths or pay to listen to someone talk shit to me. I also dont like xbl because you have to pay for free content. Like the pack for lef 4 dead for instance, was free on the pc from valve but microsoft made you pay for it.

3- No multi disc games. Granted thats a pety and small gripe but its still one. 360 multi disc games arent that common but I still never have to swap discs on the ps3 since bluray has so much storage room.

4- My ps3 is dead quiet compared to the 360. Even installing games to the 360 it still makes some noise, especially when the fan kicks in after awhile. Its also a more reliable systems. Ive had the 360 lockup before and everyone knows the stories of its hardware problems, never once has my ps3 so much as had any issue in all the years Ive owned it.

5- The bluetooth for my online gaming is very nice also. I can take my cell phones earpiece and connect it to the ps3 and use it without having to wear a headset that I had to pay too much for from microsoft.

The scratch resistant blurays are a huge plus for me. I do like the 360 controller more, because my hands hurt sometimes playing certain games on the ps3, mostly my pinky, which helps secure the controller in my hands so it doesn't feel like it's sloping out of my hands. Doesn't happen to me on 360. The shoulder buttons are also awkward for me on the PS3. But I also hate Xbox Live Gold, having come from PC gaming.

360. It's been my main console since it's launch, and all of my friends have one. I can't remember the last time I played anything on PSN, nor the last time any of my 3 friends was playing a PSN game I could join.

360 for me. Most my friends play 360 and I prefer Xbox live even if i have to pay for it. I love my PS3 for its exclusives but other than that i rather play stuff on my 360. I also prefer the 360 controller.

Always PS3.

-I prefer the controller
-Free online if I want to play online (which I rarely use to begin with)
-shared DLC (usually split the cost with a friend)
-Platinum trophies (cooler than just having "100% of achievements" in my opinion)
-Move support

I've only bought XBOX-exclusive games on 360 (Dead Rising 1, RARE games, Halo, etc.).

bread's done
Back