Have you ever wrote your local rep and if so about what?

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!
Feedback
83 (100%)
Recently I wrote my first letter to my two local reps and it got me wondering if anyone else here actually bothers with this anymore? I imagine most people feel it wont make a difference so they will not even try. If you have wrote one, then about what?

Personally my request was for them to pass a bill making it so cell phone companies had to use GPS/Gyroscope technology in new smart phones to disable a persons phone when in movement. I personally would prefer it so even if you are walking you can not text/talk without a headset, however id gladly settle just for it to be that anyone moving above 10 MPH had their phone disabled that way all these idiots that text and drive could no longer do so. People are just obsessed with their phones these days and it makes them not only incredibly rude but also stupid and worst of all dangerous at times.

What about passengers in the vehicle?

Also, at what point are we perfectly okay with the government putting restrictions on speech?

[quote name='UncleBob']What about passengers in the vehicle?

Also, at what point are we perfectly okay with the government putting restrictions on speech?[/QUOTE]

I'd question that this is a free speech issue and point out that if you want to stretch the meaning of rights that far that it could be argued my right to life is being risked by these people. This is more akin to someone yelling fire or inciting to riot. Your free speech rights are still protected, you are just not allowed to endanger others with your own stupidity.

O and frankly I don't give a damn about the passengers rights, if they have something so important it must be said they can pull over for the time it takes. 90% of the time it's just some teenager posting to Facebook anyways. Sorry but other people's safety is more important then letting your Facebook friends know that Shannon broke up with Billie.

Your right to life is at risk simply by another driver being on the road.

Now, the risk to your life is *increased* by others using cell phones, I will agree. But what needs to be considered is the cost/risk ratio. For example, simply talking to a passenger in the vehicle can distract the driver and increase the risk of an accident - but most of us would probably be against the idea of making it illegal to converse with other people in the vehicle. At what point is the reasonable risk to another's life greater than the cost of allowing the government to limit a form of speech.

As for *what* the conversation is about - doesn't matter. Your or the government don't get to be the judge that gets to decide what Shannon puts on her Facebook or when she does it.

Of course it does not matter what Shannon is talking about, I was just making the point that I personally do not give two square less about her rights. AS for at what point it's time for the government to step in, well I say whenever people start injuring others with any sort of frequency. Yes talking in a car is a distraction, as is the radio and a million other things. However texting requires you to take yourmeyes off the road for an extended amount of time and the use of your hands. It is just a no braineer to anyone but you hardcore conservatives that driving with no hands on the wheel and your eyes off the road is a risk others should not have to bare.

Just look at that train conducted that caused that accident a year or two ago because of texting. There is also my own city where some stupid chick drove her car off a small bridge in to a river because she was texting. This shit is dangerous and I am sorry but when people proove they can't handle such a small personal responsibility they deserve to lose that freedom.....which again I think it's absolutely insane to call textimgmwhile driving a form of free speech. Again this is no different from the inability to yell fire.

It's quite different. First and foremost, you're suggesting that the government step in and restrict passengers from being able to talk/text while in a moving vehicle. This is no where *near* yelling fire in a crowded theater. Second, unless, of course, there is a fire, there's no legitimate reason to be yelling fire in a crowded theater. There's a multitude of legitimate reasons as to why someone might have a conversation while driving - on or off the phone.

And - for the record, I can send a short text message on my phone using a single hand and without taking my eyes off the road any longer than it takes for me to look into the other seat/cup holder and grab my phone. Less time than it would take most people to change the radio station. I don't text while driving often (hell, for that matter, I often don't even have the radio on while driving), but I can do it with less effort than someone digging through their purse or yelling at their children in the back seat. I haven't had a single moving violation in the years since I've gotten my cell phone either (currently sporting an Illinois Safe Driver sticker on the back of my license).

I do - however - agree. It can be dangerous - but a minority of people being unable to "handle such a small personal responsibility" should not force the entire population into loosing rights.

I love how people say that on principle, the government shouldn't have done the auto bailout. Then they try to convince everyone they wouldn't have attacked Obama for the increase in unemployment.

There were a great many legitimate fears with the auto bailout. Fears that Chrysler and GM wouldn't become again profitable, fears that the government would hold onto the companies, and try to run them, fears that we'd never see the money again, and simply be propping up a failed business model...

None of these fears were realized and it worked out well for everyone.

I've never cared about anything enough to actually sit down and write a letter to someone about it. Bitching on the internets is a much better use of my time.

[quote name='UncleBob']It's quite different. First and foremost, you're suggesting that the government step in and restrict passengers from being able to talk/text while in a moving vehicle. This is no where *near* yelling fire in a crowded theater. Second, unless, of course, there is a fire, there's no legitimate reason to be yelling fire in a crowded theater. There's a multitude of legitimate reasons as to why someone might have a conversation while driving - on or off the phone.

And - for the record, I can send a short text message on my phone using a single hand and without taking my eyes off the road any longer than it takes for me to look into the other seat/cup holder and grab my phone. Less time than it would take most people to change the radio station. I don't text while driving often (hell, for that matter, I often don't even have the radio on while driving), but I can do it with less effort than someone digging through their purse or yelling at their children in the back seat. I haven't had a single moving violation in the years since I've gotten my cell phone either (currently sporting an Illinois Safe Driver sticker on the back of my license).

I do - however - agree. It can be dangerous - but a minority of people being unable to "handle such a small personal responsibility" should not force the entire population into loosing rights.[/QUOTE]

Ok I have never called someone an outright liar online before, but you sir are a liar. No one can send a simple text message other then maybe thx or ok in the 2 seconds it takes someone to change a radio station or set their phone down. Putting that aside though and pretending that you text at the speed of light is the fact that most people do not. I cant go out anymore without seeing someone driving stupidly because of texting. Every time we go out without fail there is at least 1 or 2 people that we see texting while looking down and not at the road. I have seen numerous accidents almost caused by this, and the main reason its an almost is because the non texting driver did something to avoid the accident. Just last week we had someone driving about 10 miles in a 30 mile zone, we cut him some slack and figured he must just be looking for a specific house since he was in a plumbing van...but nope as we pulled past him he was texting on his phone, wrists on the wheel head down in the same position most texters are. As we pulled past him the guy looked up and realized he was about to hit a parked car. This is your typical texter.

I think one problem bob is you do not realize that you are an intelligent and responsible person. You do not hold other people to the standards you hold yourself, you just assume they live life at the same standards. Problem is they dont. The average American does not pay attention when texting in the car, the average American does not save money for a rainy day, the average American does not invest in their retirement, the average American does not do research in to their health care....the average American does not take any kind of personal responsibility for themselves and as a result everyone around them pays for it. This is 90% of America and I would say let them kill and injure each other since its not my place to tell them what to do. However the problem is those idiotic 90% effect us 10% that actually give a shit about our personal well being.

This is why I am ok for the government to step in and make rule after rule and regulation after regulation. In the last 50 years or so we have proved we can no longer take care of ourselves, we have proved that the conservative dream of small government and people and business doing the right thing is the tooth fairy. If we do not have government run healthcare then we have high numbers of uninsured who turn up at the hospital and pass their expenses on to the rest of us. If we do not have regulation in the business sector they trash the environment, send every job overseas(or to Mexico)they can and find ways to basically cheat people. And if we do not have laws about when and where you can smoke then you have smokers in public places harming everyone else.

If this was an issue like wearing a seat belt or not I could care less, you only hurt yourself. As with the above issues though this hurts both the responsible and irresponsible members of society. When we prove we can take care of ourselves again, or at least respect that our descions effect other people, then I will start worrying about losing personal freedoms to the government. Till then I am more scared of Norbart no insurance and Tiffany Texter then Uncle Sam.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Ok I have never called someone an outright liar online before, but you sir are a liar. No one can send a simple text message other then maybe thx or ok in the 2 seconds it takes someone to change a radio station or set their phone down.[/QUOTE]

I don't have time to respond to all of this right now, but to clarify, I said I don't have to take my eyes off the road any longer than it takes most people to adjust the radio. I can text on my phone one handed, without looking at it (full qwerty keyboard, can do it easily one hand).

[quote name='UncleBob']I don't have time to respond to all of this right now, but to clarify, I said I don't have to take my eyes off the road any longer than it takes most people to adjust the radio. I can text on my phone one handed, without looking at it (full qwerty keyboard, can do it easily one hand).[/QUOTE]

I just know that I cant go out anymore without seeing people balancing the wheel in their wrists as they text with their head down. If every time I go out I see someone doing that it is a big enough issue to be a danger. The way that I look at it is that I could drive and play my DS that same way, does not make it smart.

I've never tried to contact my legislators even though they've taken many positions I disagree with. I never thought it would matter and they wouldn't respond or take a call or letter seriously.

I'm hearing (and seeing) more and more evidence that a lot of them do take letters from constituents seriously. Might consider giving it a try. I feel like it should be something important though, like not dismantling Medicare or something like that.

[quote name='IRHari']I've never tried to contact my legislators even though they've taken many positions I disagree with. I never thought it would matter and they wouldn't respond or take a call or letter seriously.

I'm hearing (and seeing) more and more evidence that a lot of them do take letters from constituents seriously. Might consider giving it a try. I feel like it should be something important though, like not dismantling Medicare or something like that.[/QUOTE]

One of the two senators I wrote to(who is new to congress)responded directly to my email and if it was not a detailed response it was at least a response that mentioned my issue and made it sound like he read it. Marcy Kaptur though who is a more seasoned member waited a month and then sent me in the mail a pamphlet thanking me for my response, informing me it would be taken seriously and then detailed her history in congress.

So 1 took it seriously or at least made the effort to pretend he did, the other send me a horribly generic response and wasted paper to do so.

[quote name='Javery']I've never cared about anything enough to actually sit down and write a letter to someone about it. Bitching on the internets is a much better use of my time.[/QUOTE]

Word.

I wrote my senator (Sheldon Whitehouse) in 2006 or 7 about the need to end the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars. That obviously went well.
He did send me a letter back, a paragraph or so long, promising to work on it.

Holy crap...you're serious? That's really what you wrote your rep about? Damn. I hope you at least had to mail it, so I could consider the stamp a "stupid tax". Disabling a person's phone if they're moving? Then revising that position to if they're moving faster than 10mph? You're batshit crazy.

I wrote McCain and Obama both during the election as a joke, saying whichever one of them personally called me would win my vote, since I didn't really care for either candidate. Needless to say, only their local offices called asking for my support, so another presidential election passed with me choosing to abstain. I wrote a couple other reps commending them for taking unpopular stands against wars or policies. I don't think I've ever written one with a request like the OP. Maybe I should. I think I'm going to ask them to pass a bill which requires Costco to go back to serving Kosher hot dogs. I miss those things.

Yes, I have. I emailed my local congressman concerning Obamacare. I pleasantly told him that if he voted to pass it than he wouldn't have my vote in the next election. But of course he is a shill for the democrat party and voted to pass it.

[quote name='dsister']Yes, I have. I emailed my local congressman concerning Obamacare. I pleasantly told him that if he voted to pass it than he wouldn't have my vote in the next election. But of course he is a shill for the democrat party and voted to pass it.[/QUOTE]
Chet Edwards was the rep where I'm from and was virtually unbeatable until he voted along party lines over healthcare. In Nov. he was voted by a large margin.

[quote name='silentevil']Chet Edwards was the rep where I'm from and was virtually unbeatable until he voted along party lines over healthcare. In Nov. he was voted by a large margin.[/QUOTE]

I wish I could say the same. I think the repubs around here have given up even trying. I didn't even know who was running against him till I went to vote.

Whereas you couldn't go 10 feet without seeing a sign or bumper sticker for the dems.

[quote name='dsister']I wish I could say the same. I think the repubs around here have given up even trying. I didn't even know who was running against him till I went to vote.

Whereas you couldn't go 10 feet without seeing a sign or bumper sticker for the dems.[/QUOTE]

Where do you live? Sounds like a place where people actually read the facts. Might just move there.

I wrote a representative from Florida recently about the way our retirement system was getting changed. I sent a long response, and not surprisingly I get a short response back, not from the representative but, from his assistant. Thus ending the first and last time I ever contact a rep.

[quote name='dsister']I wish I could say the same. I think the repubs around here have given up even trying. I didn't even know who was running against him till I went to vote.

Whereas you couldn't go 10 feet without seeing a sign or bumper sticker for the dems.[/QUOTE]

Yeah he was one of the few dems who had a hold on his district. He was a good guy, but blatenly ignoring his constituants to go along with DC cronies angered a lot of people.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Where do you live? Sounds like a place where people actually read the facts. Might just move there.[/QUOTE]

No, in fact I think it's the opposite. Most people around here were against Obamacare. All the incumbents won though. Including a Repub senator.

It's just really kind of hard when a side doesn't advertise at all...

I wrote an email to my local rep (through whatever online form they had) when I was in high school about the Iraq war. I got a form letter back in the mail quite a while later.

[quote name='dsister']No, in fact I think it's the opposite. Most people around here were against Obamacare. All the incumbents won though. Including a Repub senator.

It's just really kind of hard when a side doesn't advertise at all...[/QUOTE]

Did most people around you really dislike "Obamacare" or was it like most places where it was a loud screaming minority who seem like the majority because they were screaming so damn loud about death panels and other untruths ;)

[quote name='MSI Magus']Did most people around you really dislike "Obamacare" or was it like most places where it was a loud screaming minority who seem like the majority because they were screaming so damn loud about death panels and other untruths ;)[/QUOTE]

In my circles, yes most of the people were complaining about it. Keep in mind that I tend to hang out with Christians mostly.

But the two local papers had phone in polls, and they both leaned heavily to people being against it. Of course there is no way to prove that these weren't the minority calling in a lot, but meh...

[quote name='dsister']No, in fact I think it's the opposite. Most people around here were against Obamacare. All the incumbents won though. Including a Repub senator.

It's just really kind of hard when a side doesn't advertise at all...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='dsister']In my circles, yes most of the people were complaining about it. Keep in mind that I tend to hang out with Christians mostly.

But the two local papers had phone in polls, and they both leaned heavily to people being against it. Of course there is no way to prove that these weren't the minority calling in a lot, but meh...[/QUOTE]

How were said polls phrased? For instance many nation wide polls asked people if they were against "Obamacare". When phrased that way most said yes but like 20-30% of the 60% that said yes they were against it were only against it because it did not go far enough. I know that if I was asked if I liked the health care bill id say no, but only because I see the European and Canadian systems where they go much further and get much better healthcare at a lower cost.

[quote name='MSI Magus']How were said polls phrased? For instance many nation wide polls asked people if they were against "Obamacare". When phrased that way most said yes but like 20-30% of the 60% that said yes they were against it were only against it because it did not go far enough. I know that if I was asked if I liked the health care bill id say no, but only because I see the European and Canadian systems where they go much further and get much better healthcare at a lower cost.[/QUOTE]

So people were voting they were against Obamacare because they didn't like Obamacare? Or am I missing your point?

To answer your question, I don't remember how they phrased the question... It was over a year ago :p

[quote name='dsister']So people were voting they were against Obamacare because they didn't like Obamacare? Or am I missing your point?

To answer your question, I don't remember how they phrased the question... It was over a year ago :p[/QUOTE]

The point is that people often make it sound like because people dont like the health care bill(sorry but Obamacare is a really stupid/childish thing to call it and I cant keep doing it)it means that people dont want health care or think that the health care bill itself is a bad idea. It is simply not true, many vote they dislike the health care bill because they wanted something more substance...but will sadly take what we can get.

Basically its a loaded question. Its like asking me if I would like to vote for Obama again. My answer would be hell no the guy is a let down and id love to see a different Democrat run. That in no means shows if I would vote for him again or not though, it just means I would prefer not to.

[quote name='MSI Magus']The point is that people often make it sound like because people dont like the health care bill(sorry but Obamacare is a really stupid/childish thing to call it and I cant keep doing it)it means that people dont want health care or think that the health care bill itself is a bad idea. It is simply not true, many vote they dislike the health care bill because they wanted something more substance...but will sadly take what we can get.

Basically its a loaded question. Its like asking me if I would like to vote for Obama again. My answer would be hell no the guy is a let down and id love to see a different Democrat run. That in no means shows if I would vote for him again or not though, it just means I would prefer not to.[/QUOTE]

Hmm. I didn't mean to use it in a derogatory way. Just more of a way to distinguish it from other health care programs. Just as I would say RomneyCare, I wouldn't say that's a childish thing to call it...

Besides those two polls there isn't any info available that we can use to continue this discussion... And it's kind of hard to argue how people answered the question, withut them being here.

My congresswoman is the brutally ugly Rosa Delauro. I'm quite honestly not really sure of anything she has accomplished in her decades in office. I never hear nor see hide nor hare of her int he district, and she only makes a few fleeting appearances around election time. She only ever receives token opposition from the GOP, mostly because the district I'm in was gerrymandered to be unwinnable for a Republican. Not that it matters much because Connecticut as a whole went the complete opposite of the rest of the country in 2010, there were 2 or 3 Democrats that were projected to lose by fairly wide margins, and they all won re-election anyways, although the Gubernatorial race was marred by some shady antics in Bridgeport.

[quote name='dsister']Hmm. I didn't mean to use it in a derogatory way. Just more of a way to distinguish it from other health care programs. Just as I would say RomneyCare, I wouldn't say that's a childish thing to call it...

Besides those two polls there isn't any info available that we can use to continue this discussion... And it's kind of hard to argue how people answered the question, withut them being here.[/QUOTE]

It should be easy with a little critical thinking to see why Obamacare is taken as an insult.
1. It was not the guys plan of choice.
2. Its generally said with disdain.
3. The people using the word generally hate the guy.
4. Its a misrepresentation.

[quote name='dsister']In my circles, yes most of the people were complaining about it. Keep in mind that I tend to hang out with Christians mostly....[/QUOTE]

Nothing pisses off Christians like healing the sick.

[quote name='Msut77']Nothing pisses off Christians like healing the sick.[/QUOTE]

It is both sad and funny that those who tend to be against health care, welfare and other programs designed to feed/heal/help the most unfortunate tend to be conservatives and thus Christians ;)

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." -Mohandas Gandhi

I also used to say I liked Christ just not Christians. Then I saw this little verse from the bible

But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them--bring them here and kill them in front of me.'" - Luke 19:27

Christ can be rather not like Christ at times cant he?

[quote name='MSI Magus']It should be easy with a little critical thinking to see why Obamacare is taken as an insult.
1. It was not the guys plan of choice.
2. Its generally said with disdain.
3. The people using the word generally hate the guy.
4. Its a misrepresentation.[/QUOTE]

lol, kind of related. Did you just post a quote calling the tea partiers teabaggers? I think I'll continue calling it Obamacare.

[quote name='Msut77']Nothing pisses off Christians like healing the sick.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, us Christians all got together and decided that we don't want to breathe the same air that the poor people breath.

[quote name='dsister']Yeah, us Christians all got together and d ecided that we don't want to breathe the same air that the poor people breath.[/QUOTE]

Even poor white people?

[quote name='Msut77']Even poor white people?[/QUOTE]

Especially poor white people. We can't have them giving us a bad name...

[quote name='dsister']lol, kind of related. Did you just post a quote calling the tea partiers teabaggers? I think I'll continue calling it Obamacare.

Yeah, us Christians all got together and decided that we don't want to breathe the same air that the poor people breath.[/QUOTE]

The difference between Obamacare and teabaggers is you CHOSE that name yourself and thus it has stuck. When the Tea party initially showed up you guys were referred to as teabaggers for a solid month till you realized everyone was laughing at you. When I see teabagger it is not meant to be offensive or even derogatory, nor was the term created for any such reason. Obamacare was created simply as a political word. Think about the words you use and why they exist.

As for the Christian thing. We dont think you want the poor dead nor do I think you guys are all a bunch of racists. However I do think there is something incredibly wrong with being a Christian but endorsing policies that have been shown to hurt the poor and the sick so terribly. The problem is that Christians much like Americans in general have remembered and adopted the wrong lessons. You have for generations taken the easy route and as a result you have forgotten the passages that make your life harder and your beliefs easy to cling to while clinging to those that make it easier.

Edit - And note that I am not saying you are any different from most people. A liberal like Msut will dodge an argument just as easily if it challenges their world view. Thus why he went for the easy race shot.

[quote name='dsister']Especially poor white people. We can't have them giving us a bad name...[/QUOTE]

It is so rare to meet such an honest Bush voting Republican.

[quote name='MSI Magus']The difference between Obamacare and teabaggers is you CHOSE that name yourself and thus it has stuck. When the Tea party initially showed up you guys were referred to as teabaggers for a solid month till you realized everyone was laughing at you. When I see teabagger it is not meant to be offensive or even derogatory, nor was the term created for any such reason. Obamacare was created simply as a political word. Think about the words you use and why they exist.

As for the Christian thing. We dont think you want the poor dead nor do I think you guys are all a bunch of racists. However I do think there is something incredibly wrong with being a Christian but endorsing policies that have been shown to hurt the poor and the sick so terribly. The problem is that Christians much like Americans in general have remembered and adopted the wrong lessons. You have for generations taken the easy route and as a result you have forgotten the passages that make your life harder and your beliefs easy to cling to while clinging to those that make it easier.

Edit - And note that I am not saying you are any different from most people. A liberal like Msut will dodge an argument just as easily if it challenges their world view. Thus why he went for the easy race shot.[/QUOTE]
Same as me for Obamacare. I don't use it as a derogatory term. It depends on how the person uses it...

I hate when people generalise. So as such he got a cheap sarcastic comment :D

bread's done
Back