Haven't played Pokemon since Red / Blue... continue the story or go for D/P/P???

JBlade00

CAGiversary!
Feedback
37 (100%)
Hey all... I have a bunch of points on Goozex and was going through the DS games... I came across the Pokemon games and REALLY started to get a craving to play it again. I played Red AND Blue a LOT when it came out. Since then, I haven't gotten any new versions.

I think the reasoning is that even when playing Red / Blue I felt like I was too old (13). I know NOW that I wasn't. Now that I'm 24... I want to play it again. I don't think I have ever been that dedicated to a single player campaign. I was one of those kids who bought both Red and Blue just so I could trade with myself. Ya I know... pretty said.

Anyways, I am wondering what to do at this point. Not sure if I am really interested in the story itself, but I hear Gold / Silver is good and since they are being re-released to the DS I am thinking I will wait on that one. I don't feel like I have a ton of time to play it anyways, so I am leaning towards just getting D/P/P unless I hear some convincing opinions otherwise.

Another point of discussion is whether or not Platinum is worth it over D/P. On goozex, Platinum is twice the cost (600 points or $30) to D/P (300 or 250 points, $15 or $12.50 respectively). Are the differences really worth it? I have next to no interest playing this game online but I do have wifi access. Battling with other people isn't why I liked the game. But I also don't want to miss out on anything that makes the game experience better.

This is definitely one of those "guilty-pleasure" type things and I am still apprehensive about getting the game because it might make me look "un-cool" or a "nerd"... which I am but not many people would know.

Thoughts / Opinions? Any "adults" still playing this game?

You can trade with people online using WiFi and using the trading depot (or whatever they call it) without having to actually make friends and trade. Platinum is probably not worth the extra cost if you are using Goozex points, though I prefer Platinum to D/P.

Use this page from Serebii to help you decide if you feel Platinum is worth the extra points, as it lists the differences.

I would go straight to D/P, and also would skip on platinum just because it isn't worth the extra points to me. Specially with Gold/Silver coming out (I think in March)

Plenty of adults still play, myself included.

No, wait for the remakes of G/S. You should've played the original G/S. I find it the best pokemon game I've ever played.

But you can go to D/P/P if you like. They're fun enough.

Wow..this story sounds familiar. A good buddy and me use to play red/blue all the time back in 8th/9th grade or somewhere around there..even got into the card game too. Then I never played another one until D/P/P (and I'm 25). And you are apprehensive? - I even got my girlfriend to play Pearl, it just a videogame man.

I don't know if Platinum is worth the upgrade, I bought it but just for Giratina. There is now the GTS which you can trade around the world and get the exclusive ones missing from diamond or pearl.

So I ended up requesting Platinum on Goozex. I figured I could (possibly) beat it and throw it back up there and it will retain its value for a while. Thanks for the input. I can play this while I watch Ugly Betty (by myself) and it can be the ultimate "guilty pleasure"... haha.

Sweet deal man.
I have all three but then again Im a PokeFreak and still am at 23.
Check out the Pokemon Platinum Thread to hear the latest info about pokemon and theres even Friendcodes so you can trade and battle with CAGs

Never associate Pokemon with guilty pleasure. The only reason it got a childish rep is the anime. The games are intentionally made to be suitable for anyone. Theres the main story for people who just want the game, and if you want, you can get into some pretty competitive shit, some people probably close to their 40s.

If you want competitive battling and good trading though (and it pains me to say this), go Gamefaqs over CAG. It hurts to say this, but CAG is mediocre at best when you want a professional match. As a beginner, you should start at CAG though.

Diamond and Pearl are great and I hear Platinum is excellent as well (I picked it up on Gamestop's B2G1F sale a couple weeks ago), but haven't gotten around to playing it yet.

bread's done
Back