Having router problems

Mattte

CAGiversary!
Feedback
87 (100%)
Every now and then my router (Linksys WRT54G) likes to lose its conncetion to my PC (and my roommates labtops). The thing is, lets say for example my friend is on AIM and I'm on Xbox Live, those connections are still working, but whenever I try to goto a website, it never works. So the only option is to reset the router.

Another problem is I can't upgrade my firmware, be it homebrew or the official firmware. It gets about halfway done and then says it failed every single time.

Anyone hear of any similar problems, I tried looking on google a bit, but figured it would be better to get some info from some one.

Tell us exactly what the setup of your network is. What devices are connected to your router? Which are wired and which are wireless? When the problem happens, which devices are working and which aren't...for what operations???

More info please

[quote name='m6oo']Tell us exactly what the setup of your network is. What devices are connected to your router? Which are wired and which are wireless? When the problem happens, which devices are working and which aren't...for what operations???

More info please[/quote]

My Computer and Xbox 360 are wired and my 2 roommates computers are wireless.

It isn't really a single device that works the whole time its more like what ever is connected at the time (application-wise) whenever the router decides to crap out.

Like for one time, I was on Xbox Live and it happened, and the only games I was able to find was that single guys game, whose game I was just in. And vice versa, only he was able to find my game I created. I was unable to make connections with other people. Also at the time, my roommate was on AIM and that worked fine, except neither of us were able to visit any websites.

That's strange. Could be the router going bad, but it's hard to tell.

I don't know from Xbox, so I can't help you there.

Next time it goes south, get on one of the PC's and try to figure out where the problem is.

Run a DOS shell on your PC (Run->cmd) and then issue the command:

ipconfig /all

Look for the network adapter that is the active one. Your local IP address should be either 192.168.1.xxx or 192.168.0.xxx.

Note if the 3rd octet (byte) of your local IP is a 0 or 1. Your router's IP should be 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 (depending on what your local 3rd octet is)

First see if the local connection to the router is good by entering:

ping 192.268.1.1 or ping 192.168.0.1

In the DOS shell. You should get a few replies, NOT "request timed out"

If you can't ping the router, then it could be losing the Wifi connection, or if you're wired to the router, then most likely the router is going bad or a bad cable to the router. If it's wifi, try moving closer to the router, or changing to a different channel.

If you can ping the router, then try ping'ing an internet website's IP address. For example, one of Google's IP addresses is 64.233.161.104

ping 64.233.161.104

Again, you should get replies, not "request timed out"

If this fails, then use your web browser to log into your router and check the status of the router's connection through the cable/dsl modem to the internet. Each router is going to provide this information differently, but it will probably be on some kind of "router status" screen. Some routers also allow you to do a ping command from within the router config interface. Try that. If you can't get it to work, try to renew your internet connection by doing a DHCP Release, then DHCP renew. If that fixes the problem, then you are losing your internet connection with your ISP...could be the modem...could be the router...could be bad cable...could be crappy ISP service.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but your problem is vague and there are lots of variables.

The fact that reseting the router fixes the problem doesn't narrow it down much. That's why you want to ping around and use your router's admin interface to try to pinpoint the source of the problem WHILE IT IS HAPPENING.

Good luck

Sorry, forgot about this topic, thanks for you help by the way.

[quote name='m6oo']If you can't get it to work, try to renew your internet connection by doing a DHCP Release, then DHCP renew. If that fixes the problem, then you are losing your internet connection with your ISP...could be the modem...could be the router...could be bad cable...could be crappy ISP service.[/quote]

Thats exactly what I have to do to reset the connection each time. I haven't gone through and pinged the connection on each computer, but today while it happened I was able to stream video off of my PC to another, so it seems as if the all the PCs are keeping the connection to the router.

bread's done
Back