having trouble hooking up DVI support w/ monitor

valance

CAGiversary!
OK, my monitor and video card have different DVI slots (from a mere appearance standpoint). My monitor has 8 rows of 3 holes and then one long hole at the end. sort of like this:

........ --

my video card has a different look, again all holes, but with a 4 hole square at the end instead of that long line hole

........ ::

And the cable that came with my 19' LCD widescreen monitor fits into my monitor fine, but not my video card. So I'm using old style VGA now (which works fine, but I want to get my DVI going). My question is: what kind of cable do I need to get to get this working? Can anyone shoot me a link? I looked on newegg, but all I found was a cable with prongs (a male) on one side that matched my monitor, and a cable that matched my video card on the other but it had holes also - no prongs. So I need a cable that has prongs on both sides, but matching the two different configurations I drew out above. The cable I found looked promising at first, and was called a DVI male to DVI female cable. But since the video card side had holes also, I don't think that would work.

Anyone know what to do here, or the name of the cable I want?

I think you're looking for a DVI-I male to DVI-D male cable. But a DVI-D male to DVI-D male cable should work too because I think the video card also has the same horizontal hole in between the 4 holes on the right side, right?

Ok I looked at my video card, it also has the :: on the right side of the connector, but in between those :: there is also -- So a DVI-D male to DVI-D male cable will work.

Reading your original post again, you're saying the cable doesn't go into the video card port? Which video card do you have? I'm fairly positive that any video card with :: will also have -- in between the pin holes. Although, I'm not 100% sure.

yeah my :: does have a __ inbetween it. the cable does plug into both the monitor and the video card fine. I have an ATI 9550 128 MB, so it's new enough where DVI should work. Just when I plug it in I get the 'cable not connected' message. A friend of mine said I could bring the monitor to his house (he just got a brand new comp 2 months back) and see if his video card will give DVI visuals to the monitor, so then I'd know if it's my card or the monitor. I just didn't know if this was common and if there was an easy way to fix it.

Hmm, do you have to switch the signal from VGA to DVI on your monitor? I have to do that on mine. This can be done in the monitor's menu button.

I think by default the computer's video card should be sending display signal to both VGA and DVI already, though I'm not 100% sure. Try the suggestion of menu button first.

ah mine does have that menu function - analog or digital. It's set to analog now. i'm heading off to work now, but when i get home I'll switch the cords and try that out, thanks.

well switching it from analog to digital via the menu (then turning off comp and switching cables) got all the dos start up stuff to show on my monitor, but once windows started, the screen went blank. so that half-fixed the problem.

I forgot to ask, what video card you have anyway? On my ATI card, it seems that it auto detects whether the monitor is hooked up to VGA or DVI. I have my monitor on DVI right now, but if I use a VGA cable and hook up a different monitor to VGA, then it'll show up immediately as either a cloned screen, or a secondary screen.

If your card has both the VGA and DVI connectors, hook up both cables to the monitor, so you can easily switch the connection via the monitor's menu button to work on the problem. What you want to do is to somehow set the DVI connection as your primary display, and VGA the secondary by going to Display Properties by right clicking on the desktop space.

bread's done
Back