HBO & Blu-Ray

minimafiaaj

Banned
how does HBO do blu-ray releases in the recent history, i know the sopranos is an older show there just coming out now, but does anyone have any news on there newer shows that rapped a while ago, like hung, bored to death or entourage?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='erectiontown']those shows just ended so they won't be on blu or dvd for a while[/QUOTE]

yeah im aware of that was just wondering if they had been announced of even coming out on blu.

IMO, I think Entourage won't make it past another season..I predict a boxed set on either DVD or BD...now Bored for Death was a great show, so I hope to see it on BD w/ a S1 release, probably will be on DVD too. Same thing with Hung...I'd say any shows that premiered this year as 'new' series will see a BD release w/ DVD (much like how you can get newer seasons of Weeds on both formats from Showtime)

[quote name='token2k6']IMO, I think Entourage won't make it past another season..I predict a boxed set on either DVD or BD...now Bored for Death was a great show, so I hope to see it on BD w/ a S1 release, probably will be on DVD too. Same thing with Hung...I'd say any shows that premiered this year as 'new' series will see a BD release w/ DVD (much like how you can get newer seasons of Weeds on both formats from Showtime)[/QUOTE]

yeah showtime already announced the nurse jackie season one blu-ray. and yeah i was hoping for Eastbound & Down season 1 blu but it didn't happen lol. showtime seems on point with it the blu-rays for dexter came shortly after and yeah bored to death is excellent

HBO is too unpredictable in regards to what and when they put shit out on Blu. They are not fully onboard with HD, not nearly as much as Showtime is. They have that "most people still watch SD, so that's what we focus on" mentality. The only thing is that's not true anymore. Blu-Rays are starting to outsell their DVD counterparts.

no way is entourage going down anytime soon. its Sex and the city for men. the only people that dislike the show seem to be the anticulture crowd.

personally, i dont think many of hbo shows will get BD releases as it is unnecessary for most. The Wire specifically was declared to not make it to HD and shows like Eastbound, big love, hung simply dont need HD. in fact i am surprised sopranos made it to hd, i guess its because it was hugely popular and hbo knew they could double dip successfully. entourage may look nice in HD, but having bought all the dvds so far, i really dont want to rebuy them as bd =[

[quote name='minimafiaaj']how does HBO do blu-ray releases in the recent history, i know the sopranos is an older show there just coming out now, but does anyone have any news on there newer shows that rapped a while ago, like hung, bored to death or entourage?[/QUOTE]

You want Hung on :br: really? Do you know someone on the show or something?

[quote name='crunchb3rry']HBO is too unpredictable in regards to what and when they put shit out on Blu.[/QUOTE]

HBO is all over the map with :br: releases and there timing, I wanted Gen. Kill a few months after it ended and just bought the SD DVD much to my chagrin.

Yep, I think some of it is just random executive decision making (maybe some focus grouping).

Prices are all over the map too, look at John Adams :br:. Amazon did a similar thing with BoB where I snagged it for $32 (it was less than the DVD at the time). Go figure.

Part of the low HBO Blu-Ray pricing is age. Like Sopranos Season 1, the only reason this set isn't $65-80 is because the DVD set has been out long enough to get some low prices by default. So the only way they'll sell the S1 set is to sell it cheap. Otherwise it would have been canibalized by DVD sales. The stores definitely realize this, I'm sure HBO is totally ignorant of it though. I wouldn't be surprised if the actual MSRP on the Sopranos Season 1 set was $80-100 as usual.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']You want Hung on :br: really? Do you know someone on the show or something?

HBO is all over the map with :br: releases and there timing, I wanted Gen. Kill a few months after it ended and just bought the SD DVD much to my chagrin.

Yep, I think some of it is just random executive decision making (maybe some focus grouping).

Prices are all over the map too, look at John Adams :br:. Amazon did a similar thing with BoB where I snagged it for $32 (it was less than the DVD at the time). Go figure.[/QUOTE]

idk anyone on hung lol but the show was good imo

Give me six feet under on blu and deadwood and ill die a happy man :applause:

as for entourage lasting another season im guessing atleast 2 more, maybe 3.. it still brings in ratings and smashes on the dvd sales.

i dont think age has anything to do with it. BoB and John Adams BD sets dropped rather quickly after release. while others are still very pricey. i wish Rome dropped in price to ~40 (haha i know, in my dreams)

[quote name='postulio']i dont think age has anything to do with it. BoB and John Adams BD sets dropped rather quickly after release. while others are still very pricey. i wish Rome dropped in price to ~40 (haha i know, in my dreams)[/QUOTE]

Not sure about John Adams, but BoB had an existing DVD set that was getting small pricecuts over the course of a year or two. So that when it came out on Blu (like with Sopranos S1 Blu) they couldn't pricegouge as per usual. So as to not canibalize Blu sales.

Just a heads up to those interested in HBO blu-ray's, Barnes and Noble is having a 50% off their HBO blu-ray sets. Not sure if they are that great of deals but i remember Rome for $40 plus if your a member you can get 10% more off that.

[quote name='DeathMoJo']Just a heads up to those interested in HBO blu-ray's, Barnes and Noble is having a 50% off their HBO blu-ray sets. Not sure if they are that great of deals but i remember Rome for $40 plus if your a member you can get 10% more off that.[/QUOTE]

Damn, thanks for the heads up.

[quote name='postulio']The Wire specifically was declared to not make it to HD[/QUOTE]

What? Why? That's the one I want most!

[quote name='BIG5']What? Why? That's the one I want most![/QUOTE]

the writer/director filmed it in low res and 4:3 on purpose to give it a gritty feel.

heres the articles

http://magazine.creativecow.net/article/inside-hbos-the-wire

""4x3 feels more like real life and real television and not like a movie."

And perhaps the final contrast to the rest of high-end episodic television, The Wire for each of its five seasons has been produced in good old fashioned 4 x 3 standard definition. DP Dave Insley recalled, "The reason the show has stayed 4x3 is because David Simon thinks that 4x3 feels more like real life and real television and not like a movie. The show's never been HD, even 4x3 HD and that (SD) is how it is on the DVDs. There is no 16x9 version anywhere." As a viewer with an HD set I will point out that like much of SD television that makes its way to HD channels, it appears that HBO utilizes state-of-the-art line doubling technology. It may still be standard definition, but line doubled it looks considerably better on a high definition set than it would on a standard definition set.

Insley explained, "When the show started 2001 / 2002 they framed it for 16 x 9 as a way of future-proofing. Then a couple of seasons ago, right before Season 4 began shooting, there was a big discussion about it and after much discussion -- David, Nina, Joe Chappelle, the Producers, the DPs -- and we discussed what should be the style of the show. David made the decision that we would stay with 4x3. The DPs pretty much defined the look to be what it is now. And it's been consistent for the past two seasons."
"

also:

"The Wire is shot entirely with Panavision cameras. David Insley let us know that, "These later episodes of the show are shot Super 35, 3-perf, and that saves a lot of money because that means we're shooting about three quarters of the film we used to. But we're only using the 4 x 3 part, so we're losing the edges of the 16x 9, but it's less than we were using when it was 4-perf, so (the image is) somewhere between a Super 16 image and a standard 35 (mm) image."

[quote name='postulio']the writer/director filmed it in low res and 4:3 on purpose to give it a gritty feel.

heres the articles

http://magazine.creativecow.net/article/inside-hbos-the-wire

""4x3 feels more like real life and real television and not like a movie."

And perhaps the final contrast to the rest of high-end episodic television, The Wire for each of its five seasons has been produced in good old fashioned 4 x 3 standard definition. DP Dave Insley recalled, "The reason the show has stayed 4x3 is because David Simon thinks that 4x3 feels more like real life and real television and not like a movie. The show's never been HD, even 4x3 HD and that (SD) is how it is on the DVDs. There is no 16x9 version anywhere." As a viewer with an HD set I will point out that like much of SD television that makes its way to HD channels, it appears that HBO utilizes state-of-the-art line doubling technology. It may still be standard definition, but line doubled it looks considerably better on a high definition set than it would on a standard definition set.

Insley explained, "When the show started 2001 / 2002 they framed it for 16 x 9 as a way of future-proofing. Then a couple of seasons ago, right before Season 4 began shooting, there was a big discussion about it and after much discussion -- David, Nina, Joe Chappelle, the Producers, the DPs -- and we discussed what should be the style of the show. David made the decision that we would stay with 4x3. The DPs pretty much defined the look to be what it is now. And it's been consistent for the past two seasons."
"

also:

"The Wire is shot entirely with Panavision cameras. David Insley let us know that, "These later episodes of the show are shot Super 35, 3-perf, and that saves a lot of money because that means we're shooting about three quarters of the film we used to. But we're only using the 4 x 3 part, so we're losing the edges of the 16x 9, but it's less than we were using when it was 4-perf, so (the image is) somewhere between a Super 16 image and a standard 35 (mm) image."[/QUOTE]
i still hope they release a complete series w/ widescreen, the shield was filmed the same way and they brought out widescreen i cant stand full screen, to me it doesnt make it look grittier, it doesnt make it look more like a tv show it just cuts off the picture

[quote name='DeathMoJo']Just a heads up to those interested in HBO blu-ray's, Barnes and Noble is having a 50% off their HBO blu-ray sets. Not sure if they are that great of deals but i remember Rome for $40 plus if your a member you can get 10% more off that.[/QUOTE]

interesting.. thanks.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']HBO is too unpredictable in regards to what and when they put shit out on Blu. They are not fully onboard with HD, not nearly as much as Showtime is. They have that "most people still watch SD, so that's what we focus on" mentality. The only thing is that's not true anymore. Blu-Rays are starting to outsell their DVD counterparts.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure about that? Being someone who buys Blu-Rays over DVDs I don't agree with HBO's mentality there, but I don't think HD is in any way more popular than SD right now. There's just no way. Blu-Ray plays haven't even hit an average price of $99 yet. They were supposed to get there for this Holiday season, but apparently that didn't happen.

Also, I remember reading about how Transformers on DVD sold like 10 million copies in its first week. Has any blu-ray done that? I dont know...

[quote name='styl3s']i still hope they release a complete series w/ widescreen, the shield was filmed the same way and they brought out widescreen i cant stand full screen, to me it doesnt make it look grittier, it doesnt make it look more like a tv show it just cuts off the picture[/QUOTE]

not sure what went on with the shield, but you cant insert something that doesnt exist (the wire's case).

the wire is too awesome of a show to be discriminated against for such trivial matters.

rome is 60$ on amazon today. im biting on it. never heard of it for 40 in B&N, either way you prob have to be a member (which cost money).

Thanks for the info on the Wire not coming to BD. The complete series is $99.99 at Bestbuy this week, so I guess I'm getting that.

yeah i take that back, i've seen a few minutes of an ep. i heard alot of good things about it i just recently got HBO. and i've liked a lot of what i saw.

[quote name='NutManIV']Are you sure about that? Being someone who buys Blu-Rays over DVDs I don't agree with HBO's mentality there, but I don't think HD is in any way more popular than SD right now. [/QUOTE]

Since the beginning of this year, overall, Blu-Ray sales are increasing while DVD sales are dropping. It's expected that by 2012, DVD might start being phased out by the brick and mortar stores. Online, Blu-Ray is killing DVD on sites like Amazon.

bread's done
Back