HD-DVD add-on now available - General Discussion (HARDWARE only)

KaneRobot

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
[size=+1]For MOVIE/SOFTWARE/NEW RELEASE DISCUSSION, PLEASE GO HERE.[/size]

Now available.

There really isn't much out now as far as movie selection, although there are few gems....hopefully sales will be decent for the holidays and they'll start pumping them out faster after Christmas.

HD-DVD player reviews:

IGN

dvdtown.com

HD-DVD content review sites:

dvdtalk.com

highdefdigest.com

thedigitalbits.com - pretty bare-bones at this point

Other information:

AVS forum thread - Grading the picture quality of released HD-DVDs.

highdefdigest.com's upcoming release list - Also has a link to discs that have been released so far here

XBOX 360 HD DVD Player & DVD Upscaling FAQ by Ruined

Pics of the box and contents - Thanks to FLSHADOW74

[quote name='FLSHADOW74']
Packaging

Contents Of Box
[/QUOTE]

Explanation of why the drive shows up as a memory device on the dashboard (Major Nelson's site):

If you have picked up the Xbox 360 HD DVD Player you have probably noticed that in addition to the unbelievable picture and sound quality, you now have ‘HD DVD’ as a new storage device section under Memory on your System Blade of your Xbox 360’s Dashboard. I have gotten a few emails asking me what this is and more specifically if it can be used to store game content, arcade titles etc. The answer is you can’t. You can only delete items from this memory area, not add them. In fact, games won’t even ‘see’ this area…so for the most part you’ll never come across it, but I wanted to explain exactly WHAT this area is. This memory area is part of the HD DVD spec and it only accessible by the Xbox 360 HD DVD player when using the advanced features of the HD DVD format. For example, if you lay down any bookmarks from the HD DVD’s that you rent from from Netflix, then you’ll use the Memory section of the System blade to delete that content, since it would stand to reason that you don't need the information again since you rented the disc. Unfortunately, none of the current HD DVD's properly tag their data..so for the short term all you'll see is 'Unknown Title.' Remember: Not every HD DVD has the same advanced features, so check the back of the HD DVD packaging to see what each title supports.

My EBs say tomorrow and today, I'm going to call the one that said today in a bit. The one that said tomorrow wouldn't let me order because it's apparently shipped.

Here is my status as of today Kanerobot -
Items not yet shipped:
Delivery estimate: November 9, 2006 - November 10, 2006 1 of: Xbox 360 HD DVD Player
Sold by: Amazon.com

If it is supposed to be the day after tomorrow and they haven't shipped it yet then they better get their ass in gear.

I think reports are EB and Gamestop have them today or tomorrow.

Anyone know about BEST BUY or GAMERUSH? (I have credit at those two places), plus with the new baby I only have limited time to shop.

My EB says tomorrow. I'll probably check on my way home from work even if I don't actually buy it.

The OMG HOT RUMORZ are that Best Buy won't have them until December because they are Blu-Ray-Butt-Buddies. Whether or not that is true remains to be seen. Seems like it would be a pretty dumb move on their part if true, since people would just go somewhere else to get it. Who knows, maybe they are confident for whatever reason that HD-DVD is a waste of time and Blu-Ray is already the winner.

Again, that's a RUMOR and nothing more. The answers will probably be revealed once the weekly ads for this weekend show up.

i would like to hear some reviews of it before I get it...I really wanted hdmi support, but I am slowly giving in to getting one

My EB says tomorrow. I'll probably check on my way home from work even if I don't actually buy it.

The OMG HOT RUMORZ are that Best Buy won't have them until December because they are Blu-Ray-Butt-Buddies. Whether or not that is true remains to be seen. Seems like it would be a pretty dumb move on their part if true, since people would just go somewhere else to get it. Who knows, maybe they are confident for whatever reason that HD-DVD is a waste of time and Blu-Ray is already the winner.

Again, that's a RUMOR and nothing more. The answers will probably be revealed once the weekly ads for this weekend show up.

if you go to best buys website and preorder it, it says estimated arrival time 11/16 - 11/22...wasn't best buy the partner retail chain with msft and the 360. They even had best buy selling 360 at the zero hour event

[quote name='KaneRobot']

Again, that's a RUMOR and nothing more. The answers will probably be revealed once the weekly ads for this weekend show up.[/QUOTE]

Nope, no one advertised them in this weekend ads (BB/CC/Target) according to Speedy ;)

It would make no sense for Best Buy to NOT sell them right away. I mean, they would lose business to CC or EB/GameStop...etc.

I just got off the phone with the local GameStop and the girl said they got an email tonight saying that the HD DVD players for pre-order reserves would be in by Friday 11/10, with the next shipment sometime next week. She said they had 4 pre-orders (1 of which is mine).

Just called EB again...not in today's shipment.

What the fuck is going on? This isn't going to help sales of the drive, especially with downloadable stuff coming in a matter of weeks.

They did the same thing with the Live Vision camera. The release date was very amiguous with many stores getting it at different times and no real concrete release date.

I e-mailed Amazon about the shipping date of the HD-DVD player. I ordered on Oct 24, before it became unavailable for preorder the first time. Here's what they responded to me; I don't know if this applies to everyone else's orders:

Hello from Amazon.com.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience you may
have experienced.

I have checked into your order and found that you may have already
received an e-mail message from us about this order. We are sorry
to report that there has been an unexpected delay in obtaining "Xbox
360 HD DVD Player."

I apologize for the delay in notifying you of the change in
availability and for the frustration this continued delay has caused.

To compensate you for this unexpected change, I have upgraded the
method of shipment for this order to Two Day Shipping. There is of
course no additional charge for this. The revised delivery estimate
for your order is November 17, 2006 - November 27, 2006.

I've also waived the shipping charges for this package.

[quote name='ryanbph']well that was cool that they upgraded the shipping[/QUOTE]

Other people who ordered from Amazon might want to try contacting them and seeing if they can get free upgraded shipping also. I noticed that the product page says that it ships in 2-4 days, but if you add the player to your shopping cart, the expected ship date is Nov 13-15, even if you pick the fastest shipping option, so I guess they'll get them in this weekend and ship out early next week.

I ordered mine from Amazon when it popped up again for preorder... expected delivery date's still listed as Nov. 9th for me, although it hasn't shipped yet.

hadnt noticed this at official site..
pbhhddvdhero.jpg

http://www.xbox.com/NR/rdonlyres/13B8C263-1995-4F8F-8A9D-A71A59272BEE/0/pbhhddvdhero.jpg

Stopped by my EB, they said that they had been shipped but there was an email explaining about a shipping messup, they're expecting them Friday.

My Amazon order now says this:
Items not yet shipped:
Delivery estimate: November 15, 2006 - November 16, 2006

* 1 of: Xbox 360 HD DVD Player
Sold by: Amazon.com

Ordered it on Oct 30

Yeah, it seems like Best Buy and CC are lagging behind on this one. I was hoping they would ge tthem also.

It appears AMAZON ships out the Overnight people first, regardless when you ordered according to AVS and other threads

[quote name='doubledown']Yeah, it seems like Best Buy and CC are lagging behind on this one. I was hoping they would ge tthem also.

It appears AMAZON ships out the Overnight people first, regardless when you ordered according to AVS and other threads[/QUOTE]

Not true. I ordered mine as overnight, and it has not shipped, and I know some two-day ones have shipped. However, they ARE shipping the 1 and 2 day ones before the 5-10 day ones. Mine still lists as shipping today or tomorrow, but I don't have much faith. Hopefully some B&M will get it in soon.

[quote name='ryanbph']Is the device from xbox or toshiba? As cc doesn't carry toshiba[/QUOTE]
It's from microsoft. And Circuitcity.com now has it, just listed it as in stock today, but none of my local CC's have it in stock yet. Hopefully later today or tomorrow.

[quote name='Apossum']holy shit, is it really 2/3 the size of the 360?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it's basically an external enclosure you would find on your PC pretty much. Except this with a few extra USB outputs. What did you expect?

Yep, I see circuitcity.com has it, but not in stock at B&M. Anyone have one of those $40 off $199 coupons scanned?

No, people have them.....PS3 is selling Talladega Nights before it officially comes out. There are pics on AVSForum with people owning the drive. Just curious where to find it now. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

Damn it that looks hot. Part of me still wants to get this, but the other part of me tells me to wait for a full HD-DVD player or until the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD matter is settled, or when The Matrix Trilogy hits HD-DVD...whichever comes first ;)

[quote name='Bigsauce']I didn't realize that many people had 1080p TV's on these boards. Interesting...[/quote]

You don't need 1080p to watch HD-DVD movies. You can view them in 720p or 1080i.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']You don't need 1080p to watch HD-DVD movies. You can view them in 720p or 1080i.[/QUOTE]

I can already do that without buying an HD DVD Player and $30 HD DVD Movies.

[quote name='Bigsauce']I can already do that without buying an HD DVD Player and $30 HD DVD Movies.[/QUOTE]

Ok, I'll bite:

Ummm, how can you watch "HD DVD MOVIES" without buying an HD DVD player or HD DVD movies?!?

bread's done
Back