HD DVD Discussion - Warner Bros exchange program introduced 4/22/09 (see first post)

KaneRobot

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
[size=+1]***Warner Bros exchange program introduced for anyone interested in swapping some of their WB HD DVD discs for the Blu-Ray counterparts. It's not free, but you do get to keep the HD DVD disc. See the thread here.***[/size]

2n07olu.png

Reviews:
highdefdigest.com | dvdtalk.com | dvdtown.com

Release Dates | Picture/Audio Quality Rankings | Information on Importing

The time has come to bid our preferred format farewell. An unfortunate but obvious conclusion to the HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray battle is that one of them would have to get buried in the end. I was happy to see many dual-format owners say that they preferred HD DVD, and even now the format offers some features that Blu-Ray is still catching up with.

Although the manufacturing of new players has come to a close, Toshiba will continue to support and service current players for the next several years.

The original HD DVD thread can still be found here and does have some helpful information here and there and was quite useful during the format's life. However, as it approached the 4500 post mark, it's clear that this is as good a time as any to start fresh.

-------------

Here's a list of the top posters as well as everyone who had at least 10 posts in the old thread:

Sporadic 536
LinkinPrime 463
guyver2077 393
KaneRobot 327
thrustbucket 264
GizmoGC 151
rsigley 117
SteveMcQ 107
Sarang01 100
anomynous 94
Ruined 88
CocheseUGA 82
RedvsBlue 75
doubledown 75
ryanbph 69

Duo_Maxwell 62Deadpool 56terribledeli 54asianxcore 52mykevermin 49Richlough 46Bezerker 39propeller_head 37gunm 34captainfrizo 32dallow 31Ph8te 31DomLando 31geko29 28TheRock88 27Ice2Dragon 26Trakan 25rodeojones903 24cleaver 22bill123 22ashram 18Santurio 18tenzor 16jollydwarf 15Jedi1979 15halfbent 14dastly75 14velvet396 14pinoy530 13flybrione 13benjamouth 13chair_home 12staplerwow 12getmyrunon 12Transformah 11grendel19 11zman73 11porieux 11doctorfaustus 11Tha Xecutioner 11pimpinc333 10psychobrawler 10matowest 10nharmon91 10edison

[SIZE=+1]HD DVD
3/31/2006 - 2/19/2008
[/SIZE]​

Last edited by a moderator:
I got all titles I don't really want or need:

-Lethal Weapon
-Four Brothers (already have)
-Bourne Identity
-Children of Men (already have)
-Billy Madison

A little MEH. But free is free.

I noticed that Amazon actually ramped their prices up on a few titles - Lady In The Water went from $14 up to $24, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and The Fugitive from $14 to $20.

Sent ours in mid-March, still haven't recieved anything (neither discs nor postcard).

[quote name='WingsDJY']I sent in my rebate form in early March and yesterday I received a postcard from Toshiba saying that due to the overwhelming demand, my order would be delayed. Card stated they would be delivered before Sept. 1, 2008.

The only plus side is, the longer it takes, the higher the probability of getting better titles since they're almost garaunteed to be out of the 15 titles listed on the rebate form.[/quote]

Funny thing is I got the same postcard this morning after just posting last night. I also hope that the wait means I'll get the movies I selected although I'll be happy if I just get Troy and Pitch Black.

Lo and behold, I spoke too soon - the postcard arrived today.

I'd still rather get replacements than the stuff we actually asked for. For example, Order of the Phoenix? Not exactly the best film I saw last year, but I'd still have chosen it over any of the fifteen on the mail-in form.

[quote name='AquaHaute']Lo and behold, I spoke too soon - the postcard arrived today.

I'd still rather get replacements than the stuff we actually asked for. For example, Order of the Phoenix? Not exactly the best film I saw last year, but I'd still have chosen it over any of the fifteen on the mail-in form.[/quote]

Yeah, some of the replacements people got were pretty good. I actually looked forward to most of mine, except for The Italian Job and Full Metal Jacket (only because I would rather get the newer edition on Blu-ray).

[quote name='Deadpool']If anyone wants to dump their Lethal Weapons on me give a shout out.[/QUOTE]

Shoot, I'll just take anything I don't already have that anyone wants to dump my way. lol

HDs I have:
Babel
Batman Begins
Bladerunner
Bourne trilogy
Full Metal Jacket deluxe
King Kong
Serenity
Shooter
U2 Rattle and Hum

[quote name='Cloggerdude']I got the postcard in the mail today as well.

I wasn't really surprised since I sent my rebate form in on the last possible day. Ah well.[/quote]

Yeah me to, got the postcard today and I also posted my form in on the last possible day. In a strange way I was glad I got the postcard as at least that means they got my application in on time.

I'll not be surprised to get a "Due to the high demand, you're SOL" card mind you.

[quote name='Chucki Norris']Does anyone think Amazon is going to have a sale soon? The inetvideo.com sale and Deep Discount sale really finished up the rest of what I really wanted to get in terms of HD-DVD. There are only 2 HD-DVDs remaining that I would really like to get (Beowulf and Appleseed Ex Machina) but I recently saw the prices of several of them go up (such as Beowulf).[/quote]

appleseed is down to $15 now on amazon, decent, i'm tempted to bite.

Got a question for people who've ripped hd-dvds to the hard drive.

So lets take a movie like 300. It has some extra features on hd-dvd- the PIP. What I want to do is author a backup of that feature, either as a 3x dvd, or bluray or dvd. Is that possible at all?

I too was relieved/disappointed to get the postcard. With any luck, my titles will be pure awesome, but I will have to wait.
It'd be so hillarious if they sent us all a copy of Bee Movie.

Finally got my 5 free.

The Departed
Aeon Flux
Blood Diamond
Bourne Identity
Troy

I also got the postcard for my other five. Blood Diamond is my only double. I think eveyone had this one, so I'm probably stuck with it.

Are any of you having problems getting your player to read the combo discs? I have a few where the HD DVD side I get a "Can't read disc" error yet the DVD side works perfectly. They're all from Universal Studios. Also does anyone have a number or email I can use to contact them about it from Canada?

[quote name='benjamouth']Yeah me to, got the postcard today and I also posted my form in on the last possible day. In a strange way I was glad I got the postcard as at least that means they got my application in on time.

I'll not be surprised to get a "Due to the high demand, you're SOL" card mind you.[/quote]

I expected the card to read something along the same lines as "you're SOL". I better not get Harry Potter anything when they finally do arrive though.

[quote name='heghei555']My Justice League combo disc has the same problem.[/quote] What did you do? I was a noob and didn't watch them all within 30 days so it's too late to take them back to Futureshop :bomb:

If I am not mistaken, I do believe that issues with the combo discs are quite common. I only own three and have never had a problem, but I thought I heard about a lot of people having difficulty getting the HD-DVD side to be read.

[quote name='darkasian']

Blood Diamond is my only double. I think everyone had this one, so I'm probably stuck with it.[/QUOTE]

I don't have it. How much you lookin to get rid of it for?

I have one or 2 combos, and have never had issues with them.

anyone looking to get king kong, i have mine still sealed from the xbox drive....not a fan of the movie. anyone have anything they would like to trade for it?

[quote name='bs000']Are any of you having problems getting your player to read the combo discs? I have a few where the HD DVD side I get a "Can't read disc" error yet the DVD side works perfectly. They're all from Universal Studios. Also does anyone have a number or email I can use to contact them about it from Canada?[/QUOTE]

it should work if you update your players firmware to the latest version.

half.com is a really good place to get hd dvds for cheap. ive spent around $140 for 12 movies, averaging around $12 per movie.

Thats good to know about half.com. I wonder if the movies that were HD only will get more extras when they go to BD so people will buy them.

[quote name='BasketCase1080']it should work if you update your players firmware to the latest version.[/quote]

It's the 360 add-on and I got an automatic update when I got the player. My 360 is still connected to the internet and haven't been asked to download any updates recently so I assume it is the latest firmware. :drool:

edit: I cleared the cache and deleted all content on the HD DVD drive and by some micracle one of them works now. Hopefully it keeps working cause I've been fooled before thinking I got Chuck & Larry working but craps out near the end of the movie.

edit2: definately spoke too soon. Five minutes in and it's already crapping out. Audio and video stuttering. Just waiting for the Can't read disc error now

Just spent a load more money on HD-DVD's, what do you folks think of these deals ?

Heroes:Season 1 - $26
Battlestar Galatica:Season 1 - $26
Robin Hood:Season 1 (BBC series) - $30
Hotel Babylon: Season 1 (BBC series) - $10
Hot Fuzz - $10
Space Cowboys - $10
Unforgiven - $10

Prices were from a UK website so I converted at $2 to 1 pound. I don't think I'm gonna get stuff mucj cheaper than this.

[quote name='benjamouth']Just spent a load more money on HD-DVD's, what do you folks think of these deals ?

Heroes:Season 1 - $26
Battlestar Galatica:Season 1 - $26
Robin Hood:Season 1 (BBC series) - $30
Hotel Babylon: Season 1 (BBC series) - $10
Hot Fuzz - $10
Space Cowboys - $10
Unforgiven - $10

Prices were from a UK website so I converted at $2 to 1 pound. I don't think I'm gonna get stuff mucj cheaper than this.[/quote]

Nice. Which UK site did you get these from?

[quote name='Antic']I expected the card to read something along the same lines as "you're SOL". I better not get Harry Potter anything when they finally do arrive though.[/QUOTE]

If you do, we'll probably be willing to trade for it, since there's pretty much nothing on the standard list that we care about owning and at least the Potter films are good for a laugh.

Incidentally, I just tried my Justice League combo disc, and it's working now.
(Great dark movie, by the way; too bad there isn't more animation on the format.)

I got my 5 today

Transformers (2 disc)
Smokin' Aces
Children of Men (Sweet i really wanted this :) )
Full Metal Jacket
Billy Madison

Only one i already have is transformers. so that will be up for trade for another HD DVD.
Overall i am happy i got way better then i picked, and the only one i really wanted i got FMJ :)

got mine in today after i got the postcard saying sept about two weeks ago. i mailed my rebate the 1st week of march. i got NONE of what i asked for (shocker) and nothing that i want (another shocker).

Four Brothers
Miami Vice
Blood Diamond
Billy Madison
Tomb Raider

if anyone wants any of these pm me for an hd for hd swap.

Got mine today as well

Transformers(Didnt pick, but was excited to see it in the package)
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
U2: Rattle and Hum(Didnt pick but was sent)
Troy
Miami Vice(Didnt pick but once again was sent)

I wanna trade Miami Vice and U2 if anyone wants to offer any other of the HD DVD's

Well, since we're talking about the rebate movies here too...here's what I got today:

Troy (asked for)
Transformers (OK)
Billy Madison (I am NOT an Adam Sandler fan)
Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix (already have on BRD)
The Bourne Identity (WTF!!!! Hello morons! I already have this because I bought the Toshiba HD DVD player which included this in every single box! Thanks!)

The only one I wanted was the Italian Job and considering they were shipping it up until very recently, I had hope that I would get it. But, No.

I got:

Smoking Aces
Billy Madison
Troy
Full Metal Jacket (not sure which version since I had this rebate offer sent to my sister)
Four Brothers

It was all stuff I didn't have so I am happy about that.

I know I don't post in here, but I got my 5 in from the Xbox player I got and I have two duplicates I really don't need.

Blood Diamond and Bourne Identity

I'm envious of the people who got stuff like Billy Madison, Four Brothers, Miami Vice, Tomb Raider and Full Metal Jacket... The only one I got that I requested was Italian Job, but I was conent with Children of Men and The Departed. Now to see if anybody would swap.
Please PM me on here because chances are I won't be able to keep up with this thread.

I got a Billy Madison I want to get rid of if anyones interested. I got mine about 2 weeks ago...sent in the first week of March. I received BM, Children of Men, Italian Job(only one I requested), Lethal Weapon and Smokin Aces(which I would also consider trading).

I'm looking to trade for HD DVDs I don't have. If any of you that have been receiving doubles recently want to CML and let me know what you have to offer, that would be nice.

Woah, I'm glad they're sending out Full Metal Jacket. A lot of people had that subbed out, so I have my fingers crossed.
I'm not the biggest fan of the Transformers movie, but I guess I'd take that too.

EDIT:
Well, I did get Full Metal Jacket (not the special edition)... followed by a disappointing foursome:
Billy Madison (Norm MacDonald fan in me loves this movie... also it's a silly stupid movie with a few good parts)
Spy Game (No opinion)
Babel (Already have)
Miami Vice (no interest... actually hoping this turns into good trade fodder since I don't recall too many people receiving this)

Despite the September notice, I got mine today.

Full Metal Jacket
Billy Madison
Children of Men
Four Brothers
Miami Vice

It's not too horrible, but I really wanted Frighteners.

I got:

Transformers (Awesome in HD, that's why I already bought it)
The Departed (An even better flick, already purchased)
Bourne Identity (Really? The same one that came WITH the player? The only sub I don't understand.)
Lethal Weapon (OK, at least I don't have it)
Troy: DC (I think I actually asked for this one so OK)

Basically, I would be ecstatic about my replacements if I hadn't already purchased/acquired 3 of the 5.
Anyone wanna trade or buy? :D

As per my post on the inetvideo.com thread, I just got my shipment of 44 titles. I had about 20+ HD-DVDs before so I'm now approaching 70. My main player (for the home theater) is the 360 add-on drive but I also have a cheaper Toshiba stand-alone that is only 1080i that is in my bedroom. With my library being pretty large, I feel as if I should get a back-up player in case one goes down. Does anybody know of any great deals on players? Preferably for one that is 1080p.

Thanks for your help!

James

[quote name='Antic']Despite the September notice, I got mine today.[/quote]

Same here. I got:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (only 1 I requested)
Transformers (already have it, but for a double, I'm ecstatic)
The Departed (already have it, but not bad)
Troy (I'll take it)
Miami Vice (not really interested, but don't have it).

Overall, not bad for all of them being free. Better than many of the ones I requested so I'm satisfied.

bread's done
Back