HD DVD Discussion - Warner Bros exchange program introduced 4/22/09 (see first post)

KaneRobot

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
[size=+1]***Warner Bros exchange program introduced for anyone interested in swapping some of their WB HD DVD discs for the Blu-Ray counterparts. It's not free, but you do get to keep the HD DVD disc. See the thread here.***[/size]

2n07olu.png

Reviews:
highdefdigest.com | dvdtalk.com | dvdtown.com

Release Dates | Picture/Audio Quality Rankings | Information on Importing

The time has come to bid our preferred format farewell. An unfortunate but obvious conclusion to the HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray battle is that one of them would have to get buried in the end. I was happy to see many dual-format owners say that they preferred HD DVD, and even now the format offers some features that Blu-Ray is still catching up with.

Although the manufacturing of new players has come to a close, Toshiba will continue to support and service current players for the next several years.

The original HD DVD thread can still be found here and does have some helpful information here and there and was quite useful during the format's life. However, as it approached the 4500 post mark, it's clear that this is as good a time as any to start fresh.

-------------

Here's a list of the top posters as well as everyone who had at least 10 posts in the old thread:

Sporadic 536
LinkinPrime 463
guyver2077 393
KaneRobot 327
thrustbucket 264
GizmoGC 151
rsigley 117
SteveMcQ 107
Sarang01 100
anomynous 94
Ruined 88
CocheseUGA 82
RedvsBlue 75
doubledown 75
ryanbph 69

Duo_Maxwell 62Deadpool 56terribledeli 54asianxcore 52mykevermin 49Richlough 46Bezerker 39propeller_head 37gunm 34captainfrizo 32dallow 31Ph8te 31DomLando 31geko29 28TheRock88 27Ice2Dragon 26Trakan 25rodeojones903 24cleaver 22bill123 22ashram 18Santurio 18tenzor 16jollydwarf 15Jedi1979 15halfbent 14dastly75 14velvet396 14pinoy530 13flybrione 13benjamouth 13chair_home 12staplerwow 12getmyrunon 12Transformah 11grendel19 11zman73 11porieux 11doctorfaustus 11Tha Xecutioner 11pimpinc333 10psychobrawler 10matowest 10nharmon91 10edison

[SIZE=+1]HD DVD
3/31/2006 - 2/19/2008
[/SIZE]​

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Richlough']I saw the Star Trek season 1 combo set at Costco for $55.46 .[/quote]

It was $30ish SHIPPED from Amazon.uk a few weeks ago

[quote name='manthing']It was $30ish SHIPPED from Amazon.uk a few weeks ago[/QUOTE]

Nabbed mine then...arrived in mint condition. Luckily both my LG's are hacked so I can play the PAL DVD side just fine...if I have to.

I just got one off ebay for 22.xx after shipping. didn't save much but still 4 bucks is 4 bucks. Now to open or not. I also just got the LG combo player for 430 bucks after tax. Tax was just over 30 bucks on it. They had it on clearence at CC for 430 and I talked them down to 399. The system is new and works great as of now. They had an open box for 299 but was player only no remote or cables. I had the BD-UP5000 but took it back due to how much I paid for it and it would not player the first Terminator SD DVD at all. I payed 537.xx for it and it was open box. I like the LG a little bit more as of now.

Anyway I was wondering is P2 the last movie to come out on HD-DVD? Before it I remember reading that Bee Movie came out but is rare as hell and all were to have been shipped back only some got out.

Was it ever confirmed that any copies of Bee Movie slipped through the cracks? I didn't follow it that closely. I remember there being an auction on eBay for one, and it went up over $400, but there was only a stock photo, and the seller never specifically said it was the HD-DVD version.

Bee Movie has never been officially confirmed to exist on HD-DVD. I will say it *probably* was pressed as it was cancelled at the last second but I have not seen a single confirmed copy in the wild. (there are many photoshopped [fake] covers floating around)

And geez, that P2 auctioner should have their Ebay account suspended for crimes against good design!

Considering the cheapest you can get P2 is for $18 (plus shipping), I have no idea how that seller is offering them that cheap. Even if he paid $18 (and we'll say he got free shipping), he only gets $23 when it sells...plus eBay takes $2 and shipping is minimum $2...so he makes $1....not counting Paypals cut.

I've been in contact with the owner of the site offering P2 (he rushed me a copy for review) and no one has paid less than $18 for them. So either the seller is scamming...or he/she is retarded. Oh well. I already sold 2 copies, trade 1, and have 2 left.

Bee Movie was never pressed. Paramount/Dreamworks only pressed Into the Wild and Things We Lost... early because of Oscar buzz. Everything else, after Jan 4th, was pretty much canceled.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Bee Movie was never pressed. Paramount/Dreamworks only pressed Into the Wild and Things We Lost... early because of Oscar buzz. Everything else, after Jan 4th, was pretty much canceled.[/quote]

Thanks for clearing that one up.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Why in the world did P2 even come out? It must have been pressed after HD-DVD had rotted to death. Or am I wrong on that?[/QUOTE]

It was pressed right before WB announced they were kicking Toshiba in the nuts :cry:

After that, they packaged it up and stuck it in a warehouse until DV&A bought the whole load (a handful of copies leaked out before)

[quote name='rsigley']this person on ebay has them for $22.95 shipped. has 8 left

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120310113434[/QUOTE]

I ordered from them last night. I hope they send it. Some one on the Hi-Def Digest forums said they got it off ebay for around 10 bucks. I don't know why the person only had it on ebay for 10 bucks because that would be a loss of almost half of what the movie costs. How this one was only put up for that price I don't know but I will see if it is a scame or not in a week or 2.

Their feedback looks good so I don't see how it would be a scam unless they did something to show they had such good feedback.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...=3boys3girls608&ftab=AllFeedback&myworld=true

[quote name='Justin42']
And geez, that P2 auctioner should have their Ebay account suspended for crimes against good design![/QUOTE]

I'll second that. That was painful. :(

Yeah, that seller is making (at tops) $2 profit

An AVS forum memer e-mailed the site and asked to buy a copy for $15 (like they willing to drop $14 on it, lol) and got this response:

"Some items we are willing to negotiate on.
This particular one is selling too good at normal price.
So sorry no deal.
We are offering $16 each if you buy 100 units"

Ive been talking to the owner for several days now and only 1 person has ordered more then 100 copies and got that price.

Not saying you guys won't get you're cheap copies, just saying I don't see why someone would go through so much trouble for a whole $2-$3 profit.

Well maybe this is the one person that ordered 100 copies. All I know is that someone sold one for around 14 after shipping and I got an email from paypal telling me something was shipped. The person that bought it for around 14(10.xx for movie and 3 for shipping) posted about it on the Hi-Def Digest forums. I know I would not have put it up for such a low price. I would have put it up with a buy it now for atleast 25. I will let everyone know if I got riped off when it gets here.

If they did rip me off is their something I can do about it?

just got it in the mail today from that ebay person, pretty quick

so i'm pretty sure it isn't a scam

tested it out and it plays, prolly gonna watch it tonight

Sigh.

Not saying its a scam (hope not), but the seller is making no money on these. Begs the question of whats the point for them. Oh well. Does not harm me at all - all of mine are gone in trades.

I checked completed listings and only saw 1 listing under $20 ($19.95).

What that seller has is not a scam. I just got mine today so shiping is fast seeing how I just ordered it this past Thursday. So unless you plan on ordering in a group this is about the best deal until this seller runs out. Don't know why they are selling it so cheap but that is on them. This is an HD-DVD or atleast my DVD player did not read it but the HD-DVD player does. As for features they are

Main Feature

Video 1080p High Definition 16x9 2.35:1
Audio English Dolby Digital Plus 5.1
Subtitles English & Espanol

Special Features
Video 480i Standard Definition
Audio Stereo

Special Featurs include
Audio Commentary with Director and Filmmakers
A New Level of Fear: The Making of P2 Designing Terror
Tension Nouveau: Presenting Franck Khalfoun

If this is some how not legit they can keep my money because they put some time into this to make it seem legit.

I just looked and it seems like they are now out or no longer selling this. Maybe they will put it back up however they may put it up for more. I'm glad I got this for the price I did.

Could be the last. Don't know if it was posted here or someplace else but this was printed just before they announced the end. Only 5000 were printed and they boxed them up and warehoused them till the site selling them bought them.

Consumerist is reporting in their morning deals that Amazon is having a sale on HD-DVDs. Some good ones are Assisination of Jesse James for $12.99 and (old) Willy Wonka $9.99 for instance. BBC Planet Earth is $34. If you have Amazon Prime with free shipping, these are good deals.
As always, don't forget to compare to inetvideo and deepdiscount before you pull the trigger.

[quote name='techstar25']Consumerist is reporting in their morning deals that Amazon is having a sale on HD-DVDs. Some good ones are Assisination of Jesse James for $12.99 and (old) Willy Wonka $9.99 for instance. BBC Planet Earth is $34. If you have Amazon Prime with free shipping, these are good deals.
As always, don't forget to compare to inetvideo and deepdiscount before you pull the trigger.[/quote]

Thanks, not sure if these were particularly good deals but I picked up

Complete Matrix trilogy - $34.99
Bullit (never seen it) - $9.99
Constantine - $9.99

I watched P2 last night and I have to say Rachel Nichols has nice brests. Thats about the only thing good about the movie. The guy that was keeping her there I could not stand. His acting sucked and in a horror movie I expect bad acting his was just really bad. I just got my LG BH200 working before I started to watch this. I have the new driver yet all the software that I install that is an upgrade to what came on it shuts it off after 7 to 33 minutes. So now just to watch a DVD/HD-DVD/BD I'm back to the software that came on it with the new driver seeing how I can not downgrade that.

[quote name='sendme']I watched P2 last night and I have to say Rachel Nichols has nice brests. Thats about the only thing good about the movie. The guy that was keeping her there I could not stand. His acting sucked and in a horror movie I expect bad acting his was just really bad. I just got my LG BH200 working before I started to watch this. I have the new driver yet all the software that I install that is an upgrade to what came on it shuts it off after 7 to 33 minutes. So now just to watch a DVD/HD-DVD/BD I'm back to the software that came on it with the new driver seeing how I can not downgrade that.[/QUOTE]

I had to return my first BH200 because of random shutdowns that got worse and worse very quickly-- at first it played fine for a while, then would crash after around 20-30 minutes, but within a day or two of playing, it could barely even get a movie started before the screen went green and then it shut itself down.

My new one has seemed absolutely fine (knock on wood).

You might want to look into returning it ASAP as the units are becoming very hard to find.

Well they only had 2 and I can send this ont to LG and have it fixed for free. So that is what i'm going to do. Wow I type better when I have been drinking. Anyway yeah I plan to send it to LG and have them fix it I just hope they upgrade it also. I'm going to call them monday and see if they will upgrade it and make sure it works also.

[quote name='Mjolnir']I never received my 5 free HD-DVDs. Does anyone know if there is someone who can be contacted about that?[/QUOTE]

The round filing cabinet right next to your desk.

They don't care.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']The round filing cabinet right next to your desk.

They don't care.[/QUOTE]

Yes, well, I care. Thanks for being such a lovely and helpful contributor.

[quote name='Mjolnir']Yes, well, I care. Thanks for being such a lovely and helpful contributor.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I can't be a beacon of light and tell you that you'll eventually get your movies. Point blank, you're out of luck.

[quote name='Mjolnir']I never received my 5 free HD-DVDs. Does anyone know if there is someone who can be contacted about that?[/quote]

I just got mine in the last month so hopefully you'll get yours too. The ones I got were not the ones I chose but at least I got something.

Here is a link to the original form that you likely mailed in:

http://www.circuitcity.com/image/help_and_services/rebates/2007/HDDVDMIR_100107.pdf

It says that the number to call is 800-405-7520.

I hope this helps. There are enough smart-asses in CAG so I tried to just give a straight-up answer.

Good luck!
James

[quote name='Justin42']I had to return my first BH200 because of random shutdowns that got worse and worse very quickly-- at first it played fine for a while, then would crash after around 20-30 minutes, but within a day or two of playing, it could barely even get a movie started before the screen went green and then it shut itself down.

My new one has seemed absolutely fine (knock on wood).

You might want to look into returning it ASAP as the units are becoming very hard to find.[/QUOTE]

I started to but CC only had 1 left after I bought this. I have 90 days for LG to fix it on them. I'm going to use the hell out of it them 90 days. I was able to get the software back to what it was when I bought it and it worked fine. I was not able to get the drivers back though.

[quote name='rsigley']man after 2 months my oceans boxset for hd dvd finally got canceled from DDD

guess they're finally out of them[/QUOTE]

Damn, that sucks. I got mine from MovieStop before they phased everything out.

Great set, too.

[quote name='rsigley']man after 2 months my oceans boxset for hd dvd finally got canceled from DDD

guess they're finally out of them[/quote]No cancellation email from DD, though when I go to the website, it shows it's canceled.

sorry, im really late to the hd-dvd train. just picked up a cheap 360 hddvd and wanted to know if there are good sites out there for purchaseing hddvds.

Frys is selling BattleStar Galactica and Heroes Season One for 14.99 and several movies like Bourne Identity and Supremacy for 4.99. Shipping may hurt you, but its still not too bad.

[quote name='andruuuuuuuu']Frys is selling BattleStar Galactica and Heroes Season One for 14.99 and several movies like Bourne Identity and Supremacy for 4.99. Shipping may hurt you, but its still not too bad.[/quote]

sweet. i might pick a few up. there's a used media store in town and they sell used hddvds for 9 bucks a piece. these are a steal. thanks.

Nice.. inetvideo has battlestar galactica set for 9.99

beowulf for 5.99 as well :)

looks like ill have to throw in some stuff to get to 49 for free ship.. anything less and shipping is ridiculous as usual

[quote name='TheRock88']I wonder if the prices are also for the b&m Fry's. Would love to pick up Heroes for that price.[/QUOTE]

You should be able to do in stork pick up.

[quote name='guyver2077']Nice.. inetvideo has battlestar galactica set for 9.99

beowulf for 5.99 as well :)

looks like ill have to throw in some stuff to get to 49 for free ship.. anything less and shipping is ridiculous as usual[/quote]

Nice, been looking for BSG for cheap. $10 is a buy for me.

I just bit on the $5 shipping though. Couldn't justify spending $40 more just to get free shipping, especially when there wasn't anything else I really didn't want to see.

HD-DVD of BSG for $15 shipped is a great deal!

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back