HD DVD Discussion - Warner Bros exchange program introduced 4/22/09 (see first post)

KaneRobot

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
[size=+1]***Warner Bros exchange program introduced for anyone interested in swapping some of their WB HD DVD discs for the Blu-Ray counterparts. It's not free, but you do get to keep the HD DVD disc. See the thread here.***[/size]

2n07olu.png

Reviews:
highdefdigest.com | dvdtalk.com | dvdtown.com

Release Dates | Picture/Audio Quality Rankings | Information on Importing

The time has come to bid our preferred format farewell. An unfortunate but obvious conclusion to the HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray battle is that one of them would have to get buried in the end. I was happy to see many dual-format owners say that they preferred HD DVD, and even now the format offers some features that Blu-Ray is still catching up with.

Although the manufacturing of new players has come to a close, Toshiba will continue to support and service current players for the next several years.

The original HD DVD thread can still be found here and does have some helpful information here and there and was quite useful during the format's life. However, as it approached the 4500 post mark, it's clear that this is as good a time as any to start fresh.

-------------

Here's a list of the top posters as well as everyone who had at least 10 posts in the old thread:

Sporadic 536
LinkinPrime 463
guyver2077 393
KaneRobot 327
thrustbucket 264
GizmoGC 151
rsigley 117
SteveMcQ 107
Sarang01 100
anomynous 94
Ruined 88
CocheseUGA 82
RedvsBlue 75
doubledown 75
ryanbph 69

Duo_Maxwell 62Deadpool 56terribledeli 54asianxcore 52mykevermin 49Richlough 46Bezerker 39propeller_head 37gunm 34captainfrizo 32dallow 31Ph8te 31DomLando 31geko29 28TheRock88 27Ice2Dragon 26Trakan 25rodeojones903 24cleaver 22bill123 22ashram 18Santurio 18tenzor 16jollydwarf 15Jedi1979 15halfbent 14dastly75 14velvet396 14pinoy530 13flybrione 13benjamouth 13chair_home 12staplerwow 12getmyrunon 12Transformah 11grendel19 11zman73 11porieux 11doctorfaustus 11Tha Xecutioner 11pimpinc333 10psychobrawler 10matowest 10nharmon91 10edison

[SIZE=+1]HD DVD
3/31/2006 - 2/19/2008
[/SIZE]​

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='deletion']sorry, im really late to the hd-dvd train. just picked up a cheap 360 hddvd and wanted to know if there are good sites out there for purchaseing hddvds.[/quote]

Poking around this thread will help you some but a fair number of places are running out of product to sell. Amazon, frys.com and deepdiscountdvd.com are places to look, but even their stock is starting to dwindle....I was surprised to see that Deepdiscount's stock is pretty low now. Likewise, you can sometimes find people dumping their collections on ebay as well

Should I buy Royal Space Force for 47.99 plus Fry's shipping (horse rape)? It seems to be scare, at the very least, and Ebay isn't doing anything to help me see if the HDDVD is collectible or not.

I wish to formally thank inetvideo for keeping HD-DVD alive for me! Ordered 9 more movies at simply ludicrous prices from them, and received them, all in great condition!

[quote name='guyver2077']Nice.. inetvideo has battlestar galactica set for 9.99

beowulf for 5.99 as well :)

looks like ill have to throw in some stuff to get to 49 for free ship.. anything less and shipping is ridiculous as usual[/QUOTE]

Try looking for inetvideo on amazon. They are listed in the marketplace sellers for a few hd-dvds. Their prices are slightly more expensive than at their site, yet their shipping is much cheaper. So in the end, you save some money.

anyone know a good place to get cases for hd-dvd's? i have a couple where the sticker shit is kinda stuck and i cant stand that shit haha.

[quote name='shutyourface']anyone know a good place to get cases for hd-dvd's? i have a couple where the sticker shit is kinda stuck and i cant stand that shit haha.[/quote]
goo-gone-775962.jpg

You can get them on ebay also. I'm looking for some for BD and HD. HD because of the inside of some of them being broke and BD because of Planet of the Apes.

I have about 5-6 from sleevetown left over. My HD-DVD buying days are over. If you're still looking on Friday let me know. (I'm outta town starting tomorrow and will be unable to ship until then.)

I went to my first auction today and picked up a Toshiba HD-A30 for $15. Did I get a good deal? I did have to wait a couple hours for them to get around to it, but for some reason I wanted it.

How good of a player is it? Is it better than the 360 add on?

I know it doesn't help you, but I picked up about 5-6 King Kongs when MovieStop was clearing out inventory. $.79 each.

I still wish I could find a Blade Runner replacement. I'll probably end up buying the BD and throwing this version out.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I know it doesn't help you, but I picked up about 5-6 King Kongs when MovieStop was clearing out inventory. $.79 each.

I still wish I could find a Blade Runner replacement. I'll probably end up buying the BD and throwing this version out.[/quote]

Throwing it out?

How much you want for it?

[quote name='erehwon']I went to my first auction today and picked up a Toshiba HD-A30 for $15. Did I get a good deal? I did have to wait a couple hours for them to get around to it, but for some reason I wanted it.

How good of a player is it? Is it better than the 360 add on?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Much better then the 360 AO (can decode TrueHD for one thing).

Quick question (that may have already been discussed in this thread), does anyone know if K-mart ever reduced the price of their HD-DVDs? They got a small selection in at my local store mere weeks before the format died, and I expected them to ship them back much like everyone else. To my surprise the stack is still sitting in the top left corner of their Blu Ray Case. I'm well aware of the crazy reductions K-mart secretly puts in effect for the games (thanks to this site) and was wondering if something similar happened with these HD-DVDs. Thanks in advance!

[quote name='benjamouth']:bomb: They're only $7.99 now, and I bought 3 yesterday.:bomb::bomb:[/quote]If they haven't shipped out, you can email them and complain about the $3 back to your credit card. Even if they just shipped out, it's worth emailing them and asking them about it.

[quote name='shrike4242']If they haven't shipped out, you can email them and complain about the $3 back to your credit card. Even if they just shipped out, it's worth emailing them and asking them about it.[/quote]

They've shipped, but it might be worth an email, good advice Shrike.

I suppose it's only $3, but it still sticks in my throat cos I'm tight as a duck's ass :D

I was going to hold out and see if they dropped more, but a few of the titles I wanted already disappeared, so I bit. I've seen a few of these for a buck or two less elsewhere, but after considering things like tax, shipping, and my Amazon rewards, I decided to buy myself a Christmas present from these fine folks.

Sent an email to Amazon, no go, they're sticking to their "We no longer price match" policy.

Ah well, it's only $3, I'd be pissed but their deals are so sweet I can't really be.

EDIT - Picked up Spartacus for $8, a lot of the titles have dissapeared now so I don't fell so bad for jumping at $9.

[quote name='sendme']From what I hear it is the XA2 that is the best or one of the better HD DVD players.[/quote]It is the best, pretty much from what a lot of people have said. I have one, and it does a phenomenal job on HD-DVD's, as well as upscaled DVD's.

A30 and A35 are close seconds, as is the A20. I think there's a few threads on AVSForum that have them ranked.

I'm seeing a lot of "Discontinued by the manufacturer" on HD-DVD's at Amazon, I guess they're getting to the end of their stock on things.

Maybe this will be the last sale.

frys.com has Bourne Identity and Supremacy for $4.99 each (as of Friday at least). I did an instore pickup, Chicago location still has tons. In store pricing is around $11.99 or $9.99 or something. Or $9.77 when they're on sale.

Shame I missed Heroes Season 1 for $14.99, but then again, I'm not sure if I'd watch it over again. So many others tv/movies to watch.

I just picked up a copy of Planet Earth HD-DVD for $8 + tax at some outlets near me.

They had a copy sitting on the shelves used for $50, and I asked if there was any way it had gone down in price and just wasn't marked, and they said no but the one person pulled a copy out from under the counter that was marked $7.99 and sold it to me. :D

[quote name='dabamus']I just picked up a copy of Planet Earth HD-DVD for $8 + tax at some outlets near me.

They had a copy sitting on the shelves used for $50, and I asked if there was any way it had gone down in price and just wasn't marked, and they said no but the one person pulled a copy out from under the counter that was marked $7.99 and sold it to me. :D[/quote]

Good deal man! Lucky bastard! :lol:

[quote name='cagfansub']True, but their shipping is the killer.. no savings there.[/QUOTE]

You have to catch them during a free shipping deal... I picked up a ton of items with my last order, 5 movies and 3 copies of BSG for $10 apiece, two of which I sold off to bring the amount I spent on the remaining 6 items to about $25 bucks... much more my type of deal

I have Blood Diamond and King Kong on HD DVD, but don't have a HD player. If anyone would like them in exchange for a Blu-ray movie or DVD you can PM an offer.

[quote name='Lethal04']I have Blood Diamond and King Kong on HD DVD, but don't have a HD player. If anyone would like them in exchange for a Blu-ray movie or DVD you can PM an offer.[/quote]

You can buy an HD-DVD player for XBox for like $25 on ebay.. with cash back it'll be like $20.

[quote name='kill3r7']Borders is having an HD DVD sale. http://www.borders.com/online/store...se&nav=5187+5198&simple=false&cmpid=e4-112708 pretty much everything is $9.99.[/quote]

Holy crap dude, I could just about kiss you. I have been waiting for a sale like this since HD-DVD lost the format wars.

I just got all of these for $9.99 a piece:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Heroes: Season 1[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Season One[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Best of HD DVD, Vol. 1
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Planet Earth: The Complete Collection

[/FONT]

Holy crap! Thanks for linking us to the Borders' sale! Those box sets for $10 are a freaking steal. Too bad the MI set isn't $10, too.

Well, it looks everything I ordered is on backorder. Obviously, probably won't go through, now, but I'll leave the order up and see if I get lucky. For those interested, I just ordered Season 6 of the Sopranos (both parts), The Best of HD-DVD, and Planet Earth.

[quote name='Cloggerdude']Holy crap dude, I could just about kiss you. I have been waiting for a sale like this since HD-DVD lost the format wars.

I just got all of these for $9.99 a piece:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Heroes: Season 1[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Season One[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Best of HD DVD, Vol. 1
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Planet Earth: The Complete Collection

[/FONT][/quote]

Also jumped on Best of HD DVD.. didn't feel like adding two more titles to get free shipping though. Thanks kill3r7.

EDIT: Also on back-order. Oh well no big deal.

Has anyone found a good deal on the Star Trek S1 HD/DVD combo set? Saw some on ebay for $50 which didn't seem bad after the 30% cashback using live search, but after doing some research it appears most people are selling Region 2 DVDs, which won't play on regular DVD players.

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']Has anyone found a good deal on the Star Trek S1 HD/DVD combo set? Saw some on ebay for $50 which didn't seem bad after the 30% cashback using live search, but after doing some research it appears most people are selling Region 2 DVDs, which won't play on regular DVD players.[/quote]

Unless you want to watch the sd-dvd versions, the Region 2 dvd side won't matter. I picked up a UK import set a month or 2 ago for $43 BIN w/ FS. After the 30% CB it comes to around $30. Plus I had heard somewhere that some of the sets sold in the US were having playback issues.

[quote name='darkdaze73']Unless you want to watch the sd-dvd versions, the Region 2 dvd side won't matter. I picked up a UK import set a month or 2 ago for $43 BIN w/ FS. After the 30% CB it comes to around $30. Plus I had heard somewhere that some of the sets sold in the US were having playback issues.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, mostly scracthed discs.

I have a sealed UK set with no floaters inside for $35 shipped if anyone is interested.

bread's done
Back