HD DVD Discussion - Warner Bros exchange program introduced 4/22/09 (see first post)

KaneRobot

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
[size=+1]***Warner Bros exchange program introduced for anyone interested in swapping some of their WB HD DVD discs for the Blu-Ray counterparts. It's not free, but you do get to keep the HD DVD disc. See the thread here.***[/size]

2n07olu.png

Reviews:
highdefdigest.com | dvdtalk.com | dvdtown.com

Release Dates | Picture/Audio Quality Rankings | Information on Importing

The time has come to bid our preferred format farewell. An unfortunate but obvious conclusion to the HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray battle is that one of them would have to get buried in the end. I was happy to see many dual-format owners say that they preferred HD DVD, and even now the format offers some features that Blu-Ray is still catching up with.

Although the manufacturing of new players has come to a close, Toshiba will continue to support and service current players for the next several years.

The original HD DVD thread can still be found here and does have some helpful information here and there and was quite useful during the format's life. However, as it approached the 4500 post mark, it's clear that this is as good a time as any to start fresh.

-------------

Here's a list of the top posters as well as everyone who had at least 10 posts in the old thread:

Sporadic 536
LinkinPrime 463
guyver2077 393
KaneRobot 327
thrustbucket 264
GizmoGC 151
rsigley 117
SteveMcQ 107
Sarang01 100
anomynous 94
Ruined 88
CocheseUGA 82
RedvsBlue 75
doubledown 75
ryanbph 69

Duo_Maxwell 62Deadpool 56terribledeli 54asianxcore 52mykevermin 49Richlough 46Bezerker 39propeller_head 37gunm 34captainfrizo 32dallow 31Ph8te 31DomLando 31geko29 28TheRock88 27Ice2Dragon 26Trakan 25rodeojones903 24cleaver 22bill123 22ashram 18Santurio 18tenzor 16jollydwarf 15Jedi1979 15halfbent 14dastly75 14velvet396 14pinoy530 13flybrione 13benjamouth 13chair_home 12staplerwow 12getmyrunon 12Transformah 11grendel19 11zman73 11porieux 11doctorfaustus 11Tha Xecutioner 11pimpinc333 10psychobrawler 10matowest 10nharmon91 10edison

[SIZE=+1]HD DVD
3/31/2006 - 2/19/2008
[/SIZE]​

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you have prime, you can get it cheaper than the BD. Not on ebay, but through other ppl. Also, I think we get the point of you not wanting it on HD.

I didnt even see the HD verson on Amazon. I still have around 10 bucks credit on my Amazon card I could use.

[quote name='sendme']In the past hell maybe even now with it being rare or atleast said to be rare and a movie I might want to see I would bite. However I see no point in buying it on HD when it is out on BD for less. I would buy it for 20-25 if I was to find out the HD is a better quality then the BD. I just don't see the point in buying HD now if it is out on BD or coming out soon on BD unless it is a lot cheaper or a better quality. I bit on P2 because it had yet to come to BD and was less then 25 bucks after tax and shipping. Also it helped the fact that it was somthing that I would watch. Now if it would have come out on BD around that time or a date for it to come out on BD would have been anounced around that time and that it would be soon I would never have bought it.[/QUOTE]

2 copies for $23 shipped = $11.50 each. That makes it several dollars cheaper then the identical Blu-ray version (though it might have TrieHD and not DD+...not sure). I grabbed 2 copies as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that is a good deal for darkdaze73 however I have only been able to find them for 20.99 + Shipping or 23.99 with free shipping. I see one with 2 days and some hours left for 15 but that has no buy it now option. So all the ones I have found are still more then the BD. I'm surprised I have yet to see this on Amazon from some sellers.

I might bite on that seeing how it is only 1.01 more then the BD on Amazon and shipping would be more then that. I'm just now wondering what is different with the two of them if anything.

I have yet to see the back covers of either version. I imagine Special Features are the same but not sure about the audio (DD, DD+, TrueHD) for either. I'd rather have a rarer HD DVD version then a common Blu-ray.

Found this on the HD DVD:
DOES have pop up menus that work within the film and while playing

Video is 1080P VC-1 seems to average in the low 20's for bitrate

Audio is DD+ 640Kbps

Extras Include (not sure if they are in HD or SD..I slapped this into the PC to get the Codec/Audio info so now going to watch it on a proper TV)

Crime Lab: A Taking Lives Documentary (5 segments about 45 min total..haven't watched them yet so don't know if they are in HD..

Gag Reel

Theatrical Trailer

Albertsons (grocery store) had a big bin of cheap DVD's, and included in the bin last night were a bunch of combo HD-DVD discs, all from $3.99 - $6.99. I picked up Land Of The Dead ($3.99), Alpha Dog ($4.99), Hot Fuzz ($4.99), and Children Of Men ($5.99), but they had plenty more including Talk To Me, Breach, Balls Of Fury, Chuck & Larry, Dazed & Confused, The Kingdom, Elizabeth, and several others.

I might actually go back up to burlington tomorrow or tuesday and get a couple more Combo discs. Since I'm so late on the HD DVD wagon, the only places I could get HD DVD's was from the internet. Seeing them at a retail store again is just awesome to me.

[quote name='JJSP']Albertsons (grocery store) had a big bin of cheap DVD's, and included in the bin last night were a bunch of combo HD-DVD discs, all from $3.99 - $6.99. I picked up Land Of The Dead ($3.99), Alpha Dog ($4.99), Hot Fuzz ($4.99), and Children Of Men ($5.99), but they had plenty more including Talk To Me, Breach, Balls Of Fury, Chuck & Larry, Dazed & Confused, The Kingdom, Elizabeth, and several others.[/quote]
Awesome, I'll definitely check out the DVD bin next time I'm there.

I can't find any Burlington stores locally that have any HDs...nor are any of the other chains the lot of you are finding the discs at are on the east coast...dammit!

However, the other day, with live cashback and such on ebay, I did pick up the Ocean's trilogy box new for $16.50 shipped. I'm still trying to find Inside Man and Last Samurai and possibly the Mummy films and Scorpion King for $6 or less shipped...if I'm patient on ebay, I can do it!

There's an ebay seller 'closeoutmovies' that has a bunch of HDs new and cheap, and no matter how much you order, it's $3 shipping flat, if that helps.

if anyone is able to get those 5 dollar 360 hd-dvd players and is willing to ship it to canada and i will pay via paypal please send me a pm because i would like a backup player just in case

I wonder how close Team America World Police came to being on HD. I know clips of it are on some HD DVDs as previews showing off what HD DVD can do.

[quote name='sendme']I wonder how close Team America World Police came to being on HD. I know clips of it are on some HD DVDs as previews showing off what HD DVD can do.[/quote]

I would've LOVED to see Team America on HD DVD!

[quote name='sendme']I wonder how close Team America World Police came to being on HD. I know clips of it are on some HD DVDs as previews showing off what HD DVD can do.[/QUOTE]

Blu-ray likely in Q4 to tie in with the South Park film.

I just ordered some HD DVD's from Amazon. Got my HD DVD add on when it was $50 at sears and got the 5 movies for free. I hadn't used it but I am going to to start getting some of these cheap movies since I seem to have missed most of them for some reason. Other than Amazon and that one seller on ebay, where is it a good place to get some more cheap HD DVD's. I have never watched Battlestar Galactica before, is it a good idea to get the first season in HD DVD since it's so cheap?

Edit: If there are any of you guys that are selling or trading HD DVD's please let me know :)

[quote name='eliter1']I just ordered some HD DVD's from Amazon. Got my HD DVD add on when it was $50 at sears and got the 5 movies for free. I hadn't used it but I am going to to start getting some of these cheap movies since I seem to have missed most of them for some reason. Other than Amazon and that one seller on ebay, where is it a good place to get some more cheap HD DVD's. I have never watched Battlestar Galactica before, is it a good idea to get the first season in HD DVD since it's so cheap?

Edit: If there are any of you guys that are selling or trading HD DVD's please let me know :)[/quote]

It looks like you're in California so I'd say Fry's if you have one near you. They still have a bunch at pretty cheap prices.

[quote name='djblue']i have a training day that is brand new if anyone wants to trade, i am willing to take any offers[/QUOTE]

Interested, i have:
Sealed
12 monkeys
The departed
Ordered from amazon:
Transformers
Bulletproof
Sky captain
Opened but never played:
King kong

Also have paypal

For anyone who is interested, I have:

****All Sealed****
-The Italian Job
-Dante's Peak
-Full Metal Jacket
-Jarhead
-Bulletproof

I would be especially happy to sell them together.

[quote name='manthing']http://www.red2blu.com/

Get WB :br: for your WB :hd:s by sending the cover art and $5 per title and a flat $7 S&H charge.[/quote]

Nice, you get to keep the discs as well. I can see there being a bunch of 'no cover art' hd-dvd's hitting ebay and pawn shops shortly for cheap. I'll probably upgrade what I have for that price.

I wonder if the other studios will offer the same type of deal?

Thanks for posting this!

[quote name='manthing']http://www.red2blu.com/

Get WB :br: for your WB :hd:s by sending the cover art and $5 per title and a flat $7 S&H charge.[/QUOTE]
That's amazing. Why is this the first I'm hearing of this?

It looks like not all movies are $4.95. The "Best of HD DVD"s are $10, and the Harry Potter 1-5 giftset is $15 to exchange. Still, not a bad deal at all.

It looks like that if you send the HP 1-5 gift set, you'll get back the same badly designed, and poorly constructed, gift set "suitcase" packaging. That's the one I want to replace.

I'm still bot sure about doing this myself. I think my average price paid per WB :hd: was about $7. When I add $5.xx per title, it ends up being around what I would've paid for the :br: on amazon intially, though I didn't have a :br: player until about a year after I got my :hd: add-on.

Then again, this would give me an excuse for another HDTV in my place, as I could move the 360 w/ add-on to another room...

:whistle2:k

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']
[/quote]

Not Universal that's for sure. GE and Vivendi would go bankrupt.

;)

[quote name='techstar25']
It looks like not all movies are $4.95. The "Best of HD DVD"s are $10, and the Harry Potter 1-5 giftset is $15 to exchange. Still, not a bad deal at all.
[/quote]

I did say $5 per title, and those 'Best ofs' and HP sets have more than 1 title per set, so you're actually getting a discount.

;)

[quote name='GLOCKGLOCK']Nice, you get to keep the discs as well. I can see there being a bunch of 'no cover art' hd-dvd's hitting ebay and pawn shops shortly for cheap. I'll probably upgrade what I have for that price.

Thanks for posting this![/quote]Scan and print a copy of the cover art on some glossy paper. Best of both worlds.

Though, I agree, it's nice to see that WB is offering people a transition to BR's and not screw you over too badly on the price. Especially with a $7 flat shipping charge for a bunch of replacements at once, and they pay the shipping for the cover art to them.

I'm going to have to go through my HD-DVD lists and see what's there. Might be worth looking at, especially if there's no loss in features in moving from the HD-DVD version to the BR version.

is it just me or does this not seem that good of a deal... ideally it would be nice to just straight up swap for the bd's and just pay shipping. it may be cheaper to just straight up buy the bd's of ebay or through sales.

edit- so its just the cover art? they dont even want the disc lol

edit2- i wouldnt mind converting my complete matrix collection.. but only the ultimate set appears...

i may do this for matrix 1 and maybe smallville season 6

It would seem you could potentially get a bunch of heavily discounted Blu's just by tracking down high-res cover arts and printing them on glossy paper.

[quote name='JJSP']It would seem you could potentially get a bunch of heavily discounted Blu's just by tracking down high-res cover arts and printing them on glossy paper.[/QUOTE]

They only take official HD DVD covers. Warner is no idiot - they can tell.

I'm gonna wait on this until other CAGs get movies back in hand that are complete retail versions. I cringe at the thought of sending out some sort of ganked disc-only version in return.

iNetvideo's got a bunch of HD-DVD's down to $1.99 again, including some of the Warner titles.

Titles at $1.99 - Arctic Tale, Blades Of Glory, Enter The Dragon, Lethal Weapon, 300 (combo), Happy Feet, Shooter, Sleepy Hollow, The Fountain, Disturbia, Nacho Libre, World Trade Center (2disc), Dreamgirls (2disc), Transformers (2disc), Failure To Launch, Hot Rod, Norbit, Four Brothers, Next, A Mighty Heart, and The Heartbreak Kid.

Bunch of other titles appear to be a buck or two cheaper than their normal prices. I think I'm grabbing 300, Disturbia, and Nacho Libre so far.

Couple of those at $2 are quite enticing. I hope they stay in-stock and at that price long enough for a free shipping offer to come around. They usually have some good sub-$10 Blu-rays, as well.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Couple of those at $2 are quite enticing. I hope they stay in-stock and at that price long enough for a free shipping offer to come around. They usually have some good sub-$10 Blu-rays, as well.[/quote]

Chances are quite high that at the next free shipping promo they will be $2 higher, which counteracts the free shipping anyway

Oh, I know that, unfortunately. I often post some of the iNet deals. But they generally have some $2 HD-DVDs during the free shipping offers, anyway. Usually, the ones going up in price are the really, really good deals on Blu-rays. So, let's keep our fingers crossed. I'm better off not being tempted, anyway. The last thing I need is more HD-DVDs I won't get around to watching.

tempted to get 300 and couple others from inet. Shipping is so high though. :p

I dunno what to think about the WB "upgrade" program. :/

To me, the upgrade program isn't too bad, considering you get to keep your discs. If you're like me and bought most of your movies after the fall and got them cheap, you'd be getting the Blu-ray versions for pretty cheap, while also still having the HD-DVDs. Personally, though, I don't have the money to be tossing away. As I said in the other thread, I'll just hang onto mine and replace them down the road. Hopefully, the 360 add-on will keep chugging along until then.

I had Disturbia, 300, and Nacho Libre in my cart but shipping was $8 - yes, I'm that much of a cheap ass that I didn't want to spend $14 on three movies.

I'll still probably do it, but it certainly negates the $2 movie. $4.xx per movie isn't bad at all though. :)

Yeah, that's my sentiments pretty much. Neat idea though--they'll even swap the Harry Potter set, which I'm contemplating since the rest of the movies are going to be Blu only. On the other hand, I have to believe they'll do a complete series double dip at some point anyway. :p

Edit: I ended up getting 300. It was almost $7 after shipping, but the film seems to be harder to get cheap these days. I did pay $15 for Taking Lives... :p

bread's done
Back