HD DVD Discussion - Warner Bros exchange program introduced 4/22/09 (see first post)

KaneRobot

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
[size=+1]***Warner Bros exchange program introduced for anyone interested in swapping some of their WB HD DVD discs for the Blu-Ray counterparts. It's not free, but you do get to keep the HD DVD disc. See the thread here.***[/size]

2n07olu.png

Reviews:
highdefdigest.com | dvdtalk.com | dvdtown.com

Release Dates | Picture/Audio Quality Rankings | Information on Importing

The time has come to bid our preferred format farewell. An unfortunate but obvious conclusion to the HD DVD vs. Blu-Ray battle is that one of them would have to get buried in the end. I was happy to see many dual-format owners say that they preferred HD DVD, and even now the format offers some features that Blu-Ray is still catching up with.

Although the manufacturing of new players has come to a close, Toshiba will continue to support and service current players for the next several years.

The original HD DVD thread can still be found here and does have some helpful information here and there and was quite useful during the format's life. However, as it approached the 4500 post mark, it's clear that this is as good a time as any to start fresh.

-------------

Here's a list of the top posters as well as everyone who had at least 10 posts in the old thread:

Sporadic 536
LinkinPrime 463
guyver2077 393
KaneRobot 327
thrustbucket 264
GizmoGC 151
rsigley 117
SteveMcQ 107
Sarang01 100
anomynous 94
Ruined 88
CocheseUGA 82
RedvsBlue 75
doubledown 75
ryanbph 69

Duo_Maxwell 62Deadpool 56terribledeli 54asianxcore 52mykevermin 49Richlough 46Bezerker 39propeller_head 37gunm 34captainfrizo 32dallow 31Ph8te 31DomLando 31geko29 28TheRock88 27Ice2Dragon 26Trakan 25rodeojones903 24cleaver 22bill123 22ashram 18Santurio 18tenzor 16jollydwarf 15Jedi1979 15halfbent 14dastly75 14velvet396 14pinoy530 13flybrione 13benjamouth 13chair_home 12staplerwow 12getmyrunon 12Transformah 11grendel19 11zman73 11porieux 11doctorfaustus 11Tha Xecutioner 11pimpinc333 10psychobrawler 10matowest 10nharmon91 10edison

[SIZE=+1]HD DVD
3/31/2006 - 2/19/2008
[/SIZE]​

Last edited by a moderator:
I got this email at 5:30 last night.

We are pressing 500 units, simply because the cost to press 250 is the same as 500. As of right now 345 of the 500 being offered are already sold via the pre-sale option from Anthem Pictures.

To reserve your copy you can go to www.anthemdvd.com/store click on Deadlands 2 trappped HD DVD collectible and reserve your copy.

They will come in HD DVD cases
They will be HD DVD 30gb Discs
The movies release date is 10/2/2009

Thanks for your interest

Gary

Would have posted it when I got home from work but the internet was running to slow to do anything. I ordered mine. The movie is 29.99 + 5.99 shipping. I was charged no tax however the site did not send me an email telling me the order was confirmed.

there was a link somewhere to a seller on amazon that was selling really cheap HDDVDs. Anyone know what that was? Also, what is the best place to pick up clearanced HDDVDs online? Most sites I have found, the shipping kills the deal.

[quote name='Nico0020']there was a link somewhere to a seller on amazon that was selling really cheap HDDVDs. Anyone know what that was? Also, what is the best place to pick up clearanced HDDVDs online? Most sites I have found, the shipping kills the deal.[/QUOTE]Traderbora is one that's been on Amazon, and their prices have slowly been going up over the months.

I'd suggest looking through the trading forum here and see if you can find any decent deals. There are multiple CAGs selling them here, as well as places on the Internet like eBay.

Hey guys, not sure if this is a good thread to post this in, but my Grocery Outlet has some HD DVDs for $4.99. I saw Harry Potter 5, 300, and I think Oceans 13 (maybe Oceans 12, but I'm pretty sure it was 13). Good luck!

I gotta get Deadlands. It sucks to pay 35 dollars for a single movie, but man, could be the last HD Evar!!!

Hope I got in on time, since it seems like they were (and should be now) very close to 500 copies.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I gotta get Deadlands. It sucks to pay 35 dollars for a single movie, but man, could be the last HD Evar!!!

Hope I got in on time, since it seems like they were (and should be now) very close to 500 copies.[/QUOTE]

I think the original 500 collectble copies ARE sold out. When this was first posted here I checked the link and they were listing the disc as numbered and limited to 500. I couldn't decide if I would buy it and when I checked it the next day it was sold out. This new listing makes no mention of limited and numbered to 500.:roll:

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Is there anywhere to buy a 5 disc case for my Bladerunner set? =([/QUOTE]

Read the post immediately above yours. ;)

Marshall's stores have gotten in new :hd: shipments in.

This time it's all Paramount films and no combo discs.

I saw the following, all marked at $5.99:

Blades of Glory
Next
Top Gun
Failure to Launch
Face Off
Arctic Tale
Heartbreak Kid
Transformers
Hot Rod
Mighty Heart
Beowulf

[quote name='Deadpool']Deadlands 2 bumped to the 27th it appears.[/QUOTE]

I need to get this... I am in it after all. :) The wife and I are zombies.

Hey Guys!
this may be the wrong spot, but I have about 49 HD-DVD cases (brand new) left over from when I bought a bunch to replace cases of HD-DVDs I bought at Hollywood Video.

So if anyone is interested in buying them off me, I am looking to get rid of them!

Mike

So my Xbox 360 just died and I don't really play games on it much anymore.

What is the cheapest HD-DVD player I can get that doesn't have issues with any of the discs?

My LCD is currently only capable of displaying 1080i max.

Question for those who have successfully swap Ultimate Matrix Collection on HD with Blu for this program. It says in the Special Instructions to submit the cover art for Matrix Revolutions.

So, does that mean I don't have to submit all the rest of the cover art (eg. Matrix, Matrix Reloaded, The Matrix Experience) ? Just the cover art for Matrix Revolutions HD version only - that's it?

When the hell is Deadlands 2 coming out?

EDIT: Never mind, December 8th. They're giving a free DVD edition of the movie or a free 10.00 gift certificate to the store to those who preordered. I guess there was some glitches and they wanted to fix it prior to pressing the disc. Which is good, I don't want a defective movie.

[quote name='cagfansub']Question for those who have successfully swap Ultimate Matrix Collection on HD with Blu for this program. It says in the Special Instructions to submit the cover art for Matrix Revolutions.

So, does that mean I don't have to submit all the rest of the cover art (eg. Matrix, Matrix Reloaded, The Matrix Experience) ? Just the cover art for Matrix Revolutions HD version only - that's it?[/QUOTE]

Yup, just the cover-art for Revolutions is all you need. Reason being is that Revolutions was only released in the boxset and not individually.

[quote name='Snake2715']Hd A2?[/QUOTE]

Thanks

I just won a HD-A2 on Ebay for $43 Shipped (Priority)

My Xbox 360 RROD'd and I don't play it enough anymore to replace it.

All of Toshiba's players can output 1080i via Component correct?

They should be able to. The A2 is a pretty awesome player, really. The XA2 is probably still the best, but given that HD-DVD is dead (except in our hearts ;) ) the A2 is a great combination of solid build quality and overall compatibility. (since it seems like the 3rd gen players had a lot of little corners cut to reduce cost...)

[quote name='asianxcore']Thanks

I just won a HD-A2 on Ebay for $43 Shipped (Priority)

My Xbox 360 RROD'd and I don't play it enough anymore to replace it.

All of Toshiba's players can output 1080i via Component correct?[/QUOTE]Correct, yes. You only need HDMI to do 1080p, though some devices will do 1080p over component and some TV's will accept 1080p over component.

Make sure you firmware upgrade it to 4.0, as that's the latest and greatest FW for the unit.

[quote name='Justin42']They should be able to. The A2 is a pretty awesome player, really. The XA2 is probably still the best, but given that HD-DVD is dead (except in our hearts ;) ) the A2 is a great combination of solid build quality and overall compatibility. (since it seems like the 3rd gen players had a lot of little corners cut to reduce cost...)[/QUOTE]If you can't find a XA-2, then an A2 or A20 would be a good second choice.

[quote name='shrike4242']Correct, yes. You only need HDMI to do 1080p, though some devices will do 1080p over component and some TV's will accept 1080p over component.

Make sure you firmware upgrade it to 4.0, as that's the latest and greatest FW for the unit.
[/QUOTE]

I downloaded the firmware earlier today off Toshiba's site. The player will probably be here early next week.

Good to know about 1080i over Component. I already have some left-over Component Monster Cables from my old Philips 727, so I'll use those unless I decide to drop $5 on a HDMI cable through Monoprice.

[quote name='asianxcore']I downloaded the firmware earlier today off Toshiba's site. The player will probably be here early next week.

Good to know about 1080i over Component. I already have some left-over Component Monster Cables from my old Philips 727, so I'll use those unless I decide to drop $5 on a HDMI cable through Monoprice.[/QUOTE]Just make sure you also have an optical cable for surround sound, which might lean you towards just getting a HDMI cable from Monoprice.

You only need HDMI for 1080p, though it is nice to just have one cable in place of two. That, and needing to make sure you have enough HDMI inputs to handle off of your devices.

[quote name='shrike4242']Just make sure you also have an optical cable for surround sound, which might lean you towards just getting a HDMI cable from Monoprice.

You only need HDMI for 1080p, though it is nice to just have one cable in place of two. That, and needing to make sure you have enough HDMI inputs to handle off of your devices.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. How fast has Monoprice been shipping out their orders? Their site says they are in the middle of moving to a different wherehouse, so orders have been delayed a bit.

I should be fine on HDMI inputs. I bought a powered 4X1 HDMI Switch from Monoprice.com recently. One spot has my PS3 hooked up to it and the other my Curtis Mathes CMMBX130.

[quote name='asianxcore']Thanks. How fast has Monoprice been shipping out their orders? Their site says they are in the middle of moving to a different wherehouse, so orders have been delayed a bit.

I should be fine on HDMI inputs. I bought a powered 4X1 HDMI Switch from Monoprice.com recently. One spot has my PS3 hooked up to it and the other my Curtis Mathes CMMBX130.[/QUOTE]Monoprice has been pretty quick on shipping orders out, though I've not ordered anything in a few months. A single cable should get shipped first class, so it would be 3-4 days or so.

I have to commend Warner Bros. on the timeliness of fulfilling orders via their Red2Blu and DVD2Blu programs. Last Wednesday, 11/25, I mailed nine HD-DVDs and three DVDs and today, both orders arrived, a week to the day since I originally mailed them...very impressive. :applause:

[quote name='cb4774']I have to commend Warner Bros. on the timeliness of fulfilling orders via their Red2Blu and DVD2Blu programs. Last Wednesday, 11/25, I mailed nine HD-DVDs and three DVDs and today, both orders arrived, a week to the day since I originally mailed them...very impressive. :applause:[/QUOTE]

You apparently didn't have Casablanca in your Red2Blu order.

:bomb:

[quote name='Fire_Thief']Looking through this topic... Am I seeing some die hard HD DVD fans that will continue to buy them? :)[/QUOTE]
I am one! I currently have over 300 HD DVD's and still buying them. I have ordered the soon to be released Deadlands 2 on HD DVD. I am using an LG BH200 combo HD DVD/Blu-ray player so I can have the best of both worlds.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']Looking through this topic... Am I seeing some die hard HD DVD fans that will continue to buy them? :)[/QUOTE]

I have both HD and Blu and I will still try to buy HD when I can find it.

[quote name='manthing']LG BH200 4 LYFE!

Why would I pay 2-4x more for a blu when I can get the :hd: for under $5?[/QUOTE]

I still wish Blu-Ray Live worked right with it. I think I need the June update that does 24FPS. The March one doesn't. :cry:

Just got my HD-A2 in the mail today.

Updated it with 4.0 Firmware and testing it out with a couple of discs (including Transformers, which I think was a problem for a couple players?)

Goodbye Xbox 360!

[quote name='asianxcore']Just got my HD-A2 in the mail today.

Updated it with 4.0 Firmware and testing it out with a couple of discs (including Transformers, which I think was a problem for a couple players?)

Goodbye Xbox 360![/QUOTE]Transformers was an issue with the pre-2.7 FW, if I remember right. I think 2.7 or 3.0 fixed it, and I know it wasn't an issue with 4.0.

[quote name='manthing']LG BH200 4 LYFE![/QUOTE]

The BH200 is like a swiss army knife. Sure it does many things but it doesn't do one thing that particularly well.

[quote name='shrike4242']Transformers was an issue with the pre-2.7 FW, if I remember right. I think 2.7 or 3.0 fixed it, and I know it wasn't an issue with 4.0.[/QUOTE]

Yup, all the early firmware had problems with it. P/Q looks great over Component, but I'm going to see if I can get a cheap HDMI cable off Ebay right now.

I finally get to watch Planet Earth, since when I bought the HD-DVD set my 360 died :)

The only issue I have with A2 is very slow to start up and get in ready mode for you to eject the disc.

It is like starting a computer with Windows loaded on it. :lol:

bread's done
Back