HD DVD's for rent

[quote name='Xeno G']Blockbuster online.[/quote]I know blockbuster is going BD in store, but they are still doing both online? I checked and sorted the HD-DVD releases by date; 300 is at the top of the list. Sorta recent... have there been many more releases since then? Don't keep up on HD stuff much. So, this may be an indicator that they are not getting much of the new HD-DVD stuff. (And it was hidden in their dumb menu, whereas BD was super easy to find).

Edit: Scrolled a bit :)P) and saw Evan Almighty, which is brand new, so they must be getting at least some newer stuff.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']I know blockbuster is going BD in store, but they are still doing both online? I checked and sorted the HD-DVD releases by date; 300 is at the top of the list. Sorta recent... have there been many more releases since then? Don't keep up on HD stuff much. So, this may be an indicator that they are not getting much of the new HD-DVD stuff. (And it was hidden in their dumb menu, whereas BD was super easy to find).

Edit: Scrolled a bit :)P) and saw Evan Almighty, which is brand new, so they must be getting at least some newer stuff.[/QUOTE]

No, just click collections and then HD-DVD. They have just about all of the releases plus a ton of movies that you can save to your list which are coming out soon.

[quote name='Sporadic']No, just click collections and then HD-DVD. They have just about all of the releases plus a ton of movies that you can save to your list which are coming out soon.[/quote]Yah, sorry, that's what I meant by the dumb menu; the BD are in a single click, no collections. But yeah it seemed at first that it might have been slimmer selection (I don't know much about HD-DVD really... but will Friday thanks to Best Buy ;)). But glad that they have a large selection for when I get back into the online service :D

Yeah, at Blockbuster the menu is messed up, but if you know of a movie coming out that you want to rent, you search for the movie, then click "All Editions" and it'll show the HD-DVD version. I've rented a lot of HD-DVDs from online.

I use Blockbuster Online to rent HD-DVDs. The selection of HD-DVDs is pretty good but forget about getting new HD-DVDs. I don't know how many copies of each movie they have but some HD-DVDs have been labeled 'long wait' for quite some time now.

Finding HD-DVDs through their website is atrocious...so to make life easier...here's the site I found that will add the movies directly into your waitlist:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=844338

[quote name='ispeshaled']I use Blockbuster Online to rent HD-DVDs. The selection of HD-DVDs is pretty good but forget about getting new HD-DVDs. I don't know how many copies of each movie they have but some HD-DVDs have been labeled 'long wait' for quite some time now.[/QUOTE]

I haven't had that issue lately. Over the pass few days, I've had 2001, The Shining, Seed Of Chucky, and A Clockwork Orange sent to me.

Don't support BBOnline. Please.

Netflix has been better in everyway in my experience, and didn't accuse me of stealing a disc lost in the mail over customer service.

I use BB online only because i've been a member since before the dawn of time and get 3 out at a time, unlimited returns in store, and 2 free game or movie coupons everymonth for less than 20$ with tax. (netflix can't touch that)

especially since If I rent 2 games a month, it pays for itself.

That being said, netflix is faster, but I really like the instore trade in. Sometimes i get movies just to trade instore to get new releases faster.

I really really wish they would get of their asses and rent hd-dvd in store as well.

I use BBOnline also...although, thinking about going to Netflix. I have until the 5th to switch.....BB has been better with next gen titles lately, but still LONG WAIT on many.

Just curious, for comparison...what is the WAIT time for Hostel II and Transformers via Netflix?

SIDE NOTE: Blockbuster has an EXCLUSIVE agreement with Weinstein movies, so that sucks if you want those via Netflix, as they cannot rent them (I think).

[quote name='doubledown']SIDE NOTE: Blockbuster has an EXCLUSIVE agreement with Weinstein movies, so that sucks if you want those via Netflix, as they cannot rent them (I think).[/quote]

As I'm thinking about changing from BBO to Netflix I thought I'd check on this... did a search for several of their movies and all were available on Netflix...
Searched for...
Halloween (2007), Grindhouse, Clerks 2, Hoodwinked

Maybe BBO just get's 'em faster or something :)

Every one of the BB "exclusives" that I have looked for has been readily available on Netflix. I did notice that some of the BB DVDs (Hannibal Rising comes to mind) allegedly had "exclusive content" at BB, but my experience is that those extras are crap anyway. Of course, if you're renting Hannibal Rising, you're getting crap as it is, so it might be okay to get a bit more.

I also noted that the Grindhouse DVDs (bought from Best Buy) and even some of the Weinstein Company DVDs rented from Netflix do have a "NOT FOR RENTAL" disclaimer around the same time as the copyright warnings play.

Okay, here is how the "exclusives" work, as I know it:
Blockbuster has a deal to get movies from Weinstein, and no one else can FROM THAT SOURCE. But as laws are atm, anyone (including you or me) can go to wal-mart and buy a movie to rent out to whomever we want. So netflix and hollywood and anyone else with Hannibal are simply buying at retail costs and renting them that way.
It's pretty misleading but it's technically true that that particular version of the film (even if it's the exact same I suppose) is only available at blockbuster. But, it makes no real difference in the big picture.

[quote name='JosephD1014']As I'm thinking about changing from BBO to Netflix I thought I'd check on this... did a search for several of their movies and all were available on Netflix...
Searched for...
Halloween (2007), Grindhouse, Clerks 2, Hoodwinked

Maybe BBO just get's 'em faster or something :)[/QUOTE]

There's a law that protects video stores called THE FIRST SALE DOCTRINE. Meaning that a video store like mine can go to Walmart, buy 20 copies of SICKO or PLANET TERROR, and rent them to customers. The exclusive is BS. Netflix has them and I think MG has them. I definitely have them!

marc
orbit dvd/tv eye

bread's done
Back