HDMI cable?

McNutsack

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I know there's topics saying use monoprice, but I did, and their prices were weak in comparison to a couple of others.

However, I would not know the quality, since I have no experience with HDMI.
I've read mixed feelings; some say the cheapest can be just as good as the $100 ones. Some disagree.

So, while pointing towards a good site to purchase, maybe also a direct link recommendation?

I have friends that are saying "just make sure it says v 1.3 on it"

I saw this one on amazon for uber cheap:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002L5R78

However...it doesnt say what version it is =/

This one says 1.3, but its a little more
http://www.amazon.com/Premium-HDMI-v1-3-Cable-6ft/dp/B001BM5XB2/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_1

Any suggestions on whats the best bet to go for, and which site?

I'd be using it for xbox360 and ps3, of course :D!

Thanks!

I actually just ordered the cable from that first link for use with my new BR player, it hasn't arrived yet, but once it does. I will let you know what I think.

I run several HDMI cables from monoprice and have yet to have a single issue with the quality or "version" of the cable.

I run 75' and 100' (that's feet) cables into my home theater display and my projector. They aren't 1.3 and they work completely fine with my PS3, 360, and my receiver (Denon 4808). They are in wall rated cables.

I also run 3 6' HDMI cables from my various consoles/hookups into my receiver, all purchased from monoprice. Again, no issues here. Everything comes out at a crisp 1080P and there is zero lag or loss of quality.

So the cheap $3 Amazon cable should/might work just as well as the also cheap cables that say "v 1.3a" in them?

All I know is a lot of the reviewers (doesnt mean they know what theyre talking about) say making sure it's 1.3a for gaming consoles helps a lot. I'd rather go the cheap Amazon route, but not if it means lack of quality; then I'd just buy the $9 one at Amazon.

From what I've compared, Monoprices for the 6 foot hdmi were still easy to beat,though.

HDMI is 100% digital. You are either getting a signal with the cable or you aren't. There are no in-betweens.

So a $5 cable is just as good as a $100 cable (as long as it works).

I use Monoprice cables exclusively, and haven't run into any trouble at all. I have with their HDMI switch, but that's another story. The cables perform more than admirably for their price.

I bought 3 HDMI cables from amazon, they were each less than $3 a pop...in fact the shipping cost more than the cables themselves. Currently have an upscaling DVD player, a HDTV, and my 360 all connected with the HDMI cables. Everything seems to be fine.

Not all movies will look good in HDMI, but the ones that do looks really good. I have yet to test the difference between a $50 cable and my $2 dollar cable but I have no compliants as of yet.

You can't lose with Monoprice.

My 2cents:

When I was having issues with a DVD player last year, I did some troubleshooting and "borrowed" (purchased with the intent of returning it 2 days later) a $50 HDMI cable from Circuit City.

Not only was my problem still there, but I'm almost certain the overpriced CC cable was giving me more problems than the $6 Monoprice one.

The problem was with my Samsung DVD player and too-dark scenes turning to straight black...

[quote name='100xp']I bought 3 HDMI cables from amazon, they were each less than $3 a pop...in fact the shipping cost more than the cables themselves. Currently have an upscaling DVD player, a HDTV, and my 360 all connected with the HDMI cables. Everything seems to be fine.

Not all movies will look good in HDMI, but the ones that do looks really good. I have yet to test the difference between a $50 cable and my $2 dollar cable but I have no compliants as of yet.[/quote]

Thanks.
I have no idea why people are mentioning monoprice, I deliberately took the time to state that prices are better on a few websites for the same thing, monoprice was not a consideration of mine, but instead I was focusing on the confusion between cables that claim 1.3, and cables that dont; so I'm glad you took the time to listen and help with the Amazon part of it ...you no doubt even bought the same cable that I link to:D

In fact, some people even went as far as to say all cables are the same...yet they point me to monoprice, after I give a link to a extremely cheap one from Amazon. It's...just weird. lol, but I wont criticize.

I helped myself with the 1.3a, b, etc part. Learned they're irrelvant in the end, they just determine when it was tested, basically how current.

Thanks everyone. Amazon $5 after shipping and tax ftw.

FWIW I bought a cheap cable from Eforcity through Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Super-Resolution-Cable-Eforcity/dp/B000E8OVMQ) to replace the $20 something Belkin I got from Wal-Mart. Never had any issues with the Belkin but I've had issues with the Eforcity cable from the start. When I first connected it I had no picture of sound. I tried changing the input ports on the TV and reconnecting at the 360 and power cycling both. I eventually got it to work and figured it was just a one time issue. Then when playing a game I got the same black screen. I tried changing the TV ports again and jiggled the cable and the picture came back. Lastly I was recently watching a Netfilx stream and the picture went to a large gray screen with the xbox logo. This has happened a few times now and a power cycle will fix it.
I did some checking and found other people with similar issues, at least with the black screen, who solved it with a different cable. Only thing I can think of is some problem with the way the connectors were made that causes an intermittent problem.
So I just ordered a cable from Monoprice for ~$7.00 shipped. This is the only other place I know of to get cheap cables, and they seem to be hightly recommended.
I hope you have better luck with your cables.

I have one that I bought from amazon and it works fine. I use it for my ps3 and video and audio are great. It cost more to ship it then the cable cost and was cheaper then getting it at monoprice. Also I have bought a digital optical cable off amazon and only thing I don't like about it is that I bought to short of a cable. I paid less for it then it cost to ship it and I think I bought it from the same seller on amazon as I did the hdmi. It works just as good as the cheapest one I could find at best buy does and I think it was around 15 or 20. From amazon the cables were 2 or 3I think for the HDMI and 3 maybe 4 bucks for the digital optical cable. The shipping was about 3 or 4 for each.

HDMI cables are essentially all the same. Unless you are running a cable longer than 10 feet, get the cheapest you can find.

You aren't going to be able to tell the difference between a 1.3 and non-1.3 cable..if you think you can you are lying to yourself.

Side Note: FadeToOne - those brown things in your sig look like penises

With hdmi cables under 50 feet, you won't see a difference. It is only after that that there may be some quality issues.

[quote name='TYATHCA']FWIW I bought a cheap cable from Eforcity through Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Super-Resolution-Cable-Eforcity/dp/B000E8OVMQ) to replace the $20 something Belkin I got from Wal-Mart. Never had any issues with the Belkin but I've had issues with the Eforcity cable from the start. When I first connected it I had no picture of sound. I tried changing the input ports on the TV and reconnecting at the 360 and power cycling both. I eventually got it to work and figured it was just a one time issue. Then when playing a game I got the same black screen. I tried changing the TV ports again and jiggled the cable and the picture came back. Lastly I was recently watching a Netfilx stream and the picture went to a large gray screen with the xbox logo. This has happened a few times now and a power cycle will fix it.
I did some checking and found other people with similar issues, at least with the black screen, who solved it with a different cable. Only thing I can think of is some problem with the way the connectors were made that causes an intermittent problem.
So I just ordered a cable from Monoprice for ~$7.00 shipped. This is the only other place I know of to get cheap cables, and they seem to be hightly recommended.
I hope you have better luck with your cables.[/quote]
I just got the replacemement cable I ordered from Monoprice. I haven't swapped it out yet but I tell tell this cable is a better made cable. It has thicker insulation and better connectors. It also has ferrite cores which the Amazon cable doesn't. Not sure if the cores will make a difference but I don't think it'll hurt.

[quote name='norkusa']HDMI is 100% digital. You are either getting a signal with the cable or you aren't. There are no in-betweens.

So a $5 cable is just as good as a $100 cable (as long as it works).[/QUOTE]

QFT. The only different between the cables is speed, but that really doesn't matter. 1.3 is the same as 1.2 is the same as 1.1. It doesn't matter.

bread's done
Back