HDMI Cables

SOLDIER

CAGiversary!
Feedback
91 (100%)
I'm looking into getting an HD Receiver with an HDMI port, as I'm told it's the highest quality available. The receiver itself is free after rebate, but I'm told the HDMI cable can be rather pricey. I'm going to need one when I get the PS3 anyway, so I could use some cheap prices for good enough cables. I want a cheap price, but I also don't want to skip out on quality, so I'll hear any suggestions you have.

Trust dafoomie one this one I asked him about a DVI to HDMI cable last week and he pointed me to that site he posted above. I ordered the cable Monday morning and I got the cable in the mail Wednesday afternoon.

Thanks a lot, but there's a lot more different types of cables than I thought. What should I be looking for in a good brand? Could you perhaps give a personal recommendation?

Make sure its the right type, you probably need an HDMI cable and not an HDMI to DVI cable. You'll want to consider how long it needs to be. Any of the first 4 should be fine, I don't think you'll need a 50 foot cable or anything.

Get one off Amazon.com. I bought a DVI cable there for less than $15 total shipped and it works fine. Screw paying $50 + for HDMI or DVI cables.

cable quality rarely differs with name brands, I'm a cable tech, and the $9 hdmi is just as good as a $150 cable, your paying for names. also, when it comes to composite calbe just use rca cables, I'ts the same thing, just get your connections right.

I noticed in the back of my rear projection 51 inch wide screen tv that it has a HDMI input.. is getting an upcovert dvd player with HDMI connections to that tv actually make the picture 10x better than component cables? Right now in component mode the picture looks too soft and most colors are washed out :( Hooked up the cube to this thing 3 years ago and it looked like shit on svideo mode.

I'm not exactly sure which one I need. Like I said, it's for an HD Receiver, and soon the PS3. So I have no idea if I need male to male, DVI, or whatever.

[quote name='mmn']Get one off Amazon.com. I bought a DVI cable there for less than $15 total shipped and it works fine. Screw paying $50 + for HDMI or DVI cables.[/QUOTE]amen, i bought one off of ebay for 8.99. its not necessary to spend 50 or more on a cable.

If you're only getting the cable in preparation of PS3, I'd be careful until the hardware is finalized. I am sure there will be some type of HDMI output (or two), but I wouldn't be surprised if it has some sort of Sony proprietary connection that would force you to buy a "Sony PS3 to HDMI" cable. Hardware manufacturers figured that out in the 16-bit days they can make some more cash on the cables.

My TV has one of these imputs too. Excuse my ignorance, but what can this be used on. I already get HD through my digital cable service and my X360.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']My TV has one of these imputs too. Excuse my ignorance, but what can this be used on. I already get HD through my digital cable service and my X360.[/QUOTE]
Component takes a digital signal then compresses it to analog. HDMI is total digital with no compression.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']My TV has one of these imputs too. Excuse my ignorance, but what can this be used on. I already get HD through my digital cable service and my X360.[/QUOTE]

The only thing I have seen so far that uses and HDMI connection are satellite recievers and HDMI equipped dvd players.

There's a pretty noticable difference using the upconverting DVD player. I run my DVD off of HDMI and cable box off component because HDMI switchers are outrageously priced.

[quote name='Purkeynator']The only thing I have seen so far that uses and HDMI connection are satellite recievers and HDMI equipped dvd players.[/QUOTE]

...and the 360.

[quote name='rodeojones903']The 360 doesnt have HDMI yet. Im pretty sure you are thinking VGA.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I honestly thought it did have HDMI. Well, there's another reason for me to hate it.

so no one can tell me if an HDMI signal looks good on a rear projection 51 tv?
my guess is no since SVideo looks like shit and Component look ok..if you can tollerate washed out colors and merky reds :(
the only thing that looks good are cartoons :p

Thanks for clearing that up guys. I have an old dvd player, not even progressive scan on it, I use my 360 for that. Wont upgrade dvd player till HD-DVD's become affordable within the next couple years or so.

[quote name='ITDEFX']I noticed in the back of my rear projection 51 inch wide screen tv that it has a HDMI input.. is getting an upcovert dvd player with HDMI connections to that tv actually make the picture 10x better than component cables? Right now in component mode the picture looks too soft and most colors are washed out :( Hooked up the cube to this thing 3 years ago and it looked like shit on svideo mode.[/QUOTE]

10x? No probably not. I recently jumped from a non-progressive DVD player using an s-video connection to an upconverting DVD player (Oppo) using a DVI to HDMI connection on a Sony SXRD 60" widescreen and noticed a substantial improvement, but I still wouldn't say a 10x improvement.

[quote name='kaw']10x? No probably not. I recently jumped from a non-progressive DVD player using an s-video connection to an upconverting DVD player (Oppo) using a DVI to HDMI connection on a Sony SXRD 60" widescreen and noticed a substantial improvement, but I still wouldn't say a 10x improvement.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the jump from component to HDMI is'nt all that. Less artifacing, but if you have a quality tv you probably don't notice it much anyways.

But for $10 why not.

bread's done
Back