HDMI DVD player

btw, i meant as upsacle, not top of the line, but the ones that suppose to upscale interlaced to 1080

That Oppo is nice but it is also $200. What is your price range? Because Philips and Toshiba both sell a mediocre HDMI player for under $100 that upconverts to 1080i. If price is not a problem, get the Oppo.

[quote name='buya89']Yeah but I dont have DVI input only HDMI
im confused now :(
price is not a big barrier[/QUOTE]

You can get a DVI to HDMI cable free with the Oppo. Just select that one at the checkout.

I've seen the SAMSUNG for around $110. Check BestBuy.com (sale may be over)

OR www.onecall.com has an open-box one for $99.

I was thinking of getting one for my new LCD TV, but they seem overhyped. I think you need a LARGE TV to really see the difference. My LCD is only 26" (it's a secondTV anyways)

The HD850 Samsung with an HDMI cable included is on sale at Circuit City right now for only $109... $40 bucks off and it includes a basic cable... if you just want a mediocre player, Costco sells the 1080i Toshiba with cable for $79.

[quote name='kenandali']The HD850 Samsung with an HDMI cable included is on sale at Circuit City right now for only $109... $40 bucks off and it includes a basic cable... if you just want a mediocre player, Costco sells the 1080i Toshiba with cable for $79.[/QUOTE]

I was about to post this when I saw the topic. I purchased it at CC just this Sunday.

How is the picture on these upconverting players? I have been holding out for high definition DVDs but it is killing me. I was using an old DVD player (without even progressive scan) until I got the Xbox 360 but I hate all of the noise it makes and how hot it gets. DVDs are 480p maximum, right.... Do the upconverting DVD players really look nice on an HDTV?

[quote name='javeryh']How is the picture on these upconverting players? I have been holding out for high definition DVDs but it is killing me. I was using an old DVD player (without even progressive scan) until I got the Xbox 360 but I hate all of the noise it makes and how hot it gets. DVDs are 480p maximum, right.... Do the upconverting DVD players really look nice on an HDTV?[/QUOTE]

It is a better picture, but its not true HD. They are worth having on an HDTV, especially if you have a good DVD collection to begin with. Ive had 3 of them so far, and wouldn't recommend any of them besides the Oppo. I had a Samsung and an LG crap out on me within a year of each other, and the Oppo has a much better picture quality.

[quote name='rodeojones903']It is a better picture, but its not true HD. They are worth having on an HDTV, especially if you have a good DVD collection to begin with. Ive had 3 of them so far, and wouldn't recommend any of them besides the Oppo. I had a Samsung and an LG crap out on me within a year of each other, and the Oppo has a much better picture quality.[/QUOTE]

Cool. Thanks. I've been debating whether to get one but I'm not sure how good the picture will look. Movies like The Incredibles and Finding Nemo look like absolute shit using my current DVD player. I know hi-def DVDs are going to be a million times better but I'm at my breaking point...

If you get one, I wouldn't get a cheap one. Cheaper the player, the cheaper the scalers and interlacers...you get what you pay for.

[quote name='daschrier']If you get one, I wouldn't get a cheap one. Cheaper the player, the cheaper the scalers and interlacers...you get what you pay for.[/QUOTE]

Can you recommend a good one? I read the AVS Forums but those guys are WAY to nitpicky and give poor ratings to just about everything... I just want something that looks really nice although I do have pretty good eyesight and I'm kind of anal...

[quote name='javeryh']Cool. Thanks. I've been debating whether to get one but I'm not sure how good the picture will look. Movies like The Incredibles and Finding Nemo look like absolute shit using my current DVD player. I know hi-def DVDs are going to be a million times better but I'm at my breaking point...[/QUOTE]

I had the same problem. I bought the Samsung one and played Toy Story and WOW just WOW. Some of the older DVD's dont look different though, I popped in MI:2 and It looked crappy, then I tried Matrix Reloaded and it looked HD-Quality. I was shocked and amazed.

BTW anyone know why some 16:9 movies still show black bars on top and bottom on a widescreen tv with settings set to 16:9 and DVD player setting set to 16:9 as well? I was watching Toy Story and it came out fullscreen, I watched another movie in 16:9 and it wasnt full screen, what gives.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']BTW anyone know why some 16:9 movies still show black bars on top and bottom on a widescreen tv with settings set to 16:9 and DVD player setting set to 16:9 as well? I was watching Toy Story and it came out fullscreen, I watched another movie in 16:9 and it wasnt full screen, what gives.[/QUOTE]

Most movies are filmed in 2.35:1 aspect thus creating black bars. Others are filmed at 1.85:1 which is almost 16:9 (1.78:1) so the black bars are way less pronounced (and often these movies are cropped to fit 16:9 exactly). Some 2.35:1 movies are cropped to fit the 16:9 screen too... There's nothing wrong with your settings.

[quote name='javeryh']Most movies are filmed in 2.35:1 aspect thus creating black bars. Others are filmed at 1.85:1 which is almost 16:9 (1.78:1) so the black bars are way less pronounced (and often these movies are cropped to fit 16:9 exactly). Some 2.35:1 movies are cropped to fit the 16:9 screen too... There's nothing wrong with your settings.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, thought I was missing something. I hope when they release HD-DVD's they make them all the same size. Full Widescreen.

[quote name='javeryh']Most movies are filmed in 2.35:1 aspect thus creating black bars. Others are filmed at 1.85:1 which is almost 16:9 (1.78:1) so the black bars are way less pronounced (and often these movies are cropped to fit 16:9 exactly). Some 2.35:1 movies are cropped to fit the 16:9 screen too... There's nothing wrong with your settings.[/QUOTE]

QFT...lots of discs will say "Enhanced for 16:9" or something similar. Those discs should fill a widescreen set perfectly.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Thanks, thought I was missing something. I hope when they release HD-DVD's they make them all the same size. Full Widescreen.[/QUOTE]

No! You don't want that (I don't think). If a movie like Star Wars, for example, was optimized for widescreen TVs (filling an entire 16:9 screen) they would be chopping off part of the picture. It would be the equivalent of what they did in the VCR days with pan and scan. You would be missing out!!

bread's done
Back