HDMI for 360??

freezedried74

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
http://www.engadget.com/2006/07/08/hdmi-port-coming-to-the-xbox-360/

We've been wondering when we'd see HDMI for the Xbox 360. Partly for the future HDCP needs of HD DVD (though for now we're safe on that front), and partly for the sheer convenience of it. Microsoft has stayed fairly silent on the subject, but this week's blurry image-based rumor points to its inclusion in a future version of the console. Tipped by an anonymous source, the image shows an HDMI port firmly ensconced on an Xbox 360 motherboard. If it's real, this probably rules out the possibility of an HDMI cable adapter providing this functionality, leaving current 360 owners SOL. But minus the fanboy outcry, it could be a nice little jab at Sony if Microsoft has an HDMI version of their console just in time to compete with the high-end HDMI PS3. Of course, there's no word if this will come as a third configuration, or if it'll just act as a spec bump to the current Premium package, but again, there's no word if this is real at all. We'll keep you posted.

well that might be a good time to "exchange" my xbox again at toys are us.. no questions asked.. i love them

Eh, my cable box is using my DVI port and my 360 works fine through the VGA input. Don't really give a crap about HDMI since I won't be jumping on the HD-DVD bandwagon for years, if ever.

It's good to see the 360 getting HDMI but I doubt I'm going to use it, even if I could exchange my console for one with HDMI. My TV has one HDMI slot and that'll either go to my PS3 or my eventual BluRay/HD-DVD player.

I don't have a 360, but plan on getting one after a price drop.
With that said, I don't know if I'd care about an HDMI port. My TV has two and I'm already using both, one for DirecTV and the other for an upscaling DVD player. I think HDMI itself rules out the possibility of an HDMI switcher, so I'd have to go behind the set to switch out cables. And that sucks.

This is just a rumor right now. The "anonymous source" leaves a lot to be desired in the credibility department.

Of course I'd be damn pissed if they made a major upgrade to the console like that less than one year into it's life. Probably enough to get rid of my system. I just find it hard to believe they'd be doing something like this so soon.

I don't care as I have NO HDMI on my TV. Also, HD-DVD appears to not have any of the restrictions on them....probably won't have any for a while now. So, you can still get REAL HD-DVD through component :) YEAH!

[quote name='Z-Saber']I don't have a 360, but plan on getting one after a price drop.
With that said, I don't know if I'd care about an HDMI port. My TV has two and I'm already using both, one for DirecTV and the other for an upscaling DVD player. I think HDMI itself rules out the possibility of an HDMI switcher, so I'd have to go behind the set to switch out cables. And that sucks.[/QUOTE]
You can already buy HDMI switches, they're just pretty pricy (around $80 for 2 ports, IIRC).

[quote name='b0bx13']You can already buy HDMI switches, they're just pretty pricy (around $80 for 2 ports, IIRC).[/quote]Ah, didn't know that. I thought HDMI prevented that sort of thing because devices using it had to have a special certification or something.

Yeah, I don't know what I'm talking about. My knowledge of HDMI consists of internet heresay skimming.

bread's done
Back